• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

evilalien

They'll cross $1m easily, I think 1.5M is also doable. There were so many donations at the end of the last few AGDQ's that it seems like at least a third of the donation total comes from the final 24hrs + bonus stream. There probably will be a huge bidding war still going on over the Super Metroid save/kill the animals for the rest of the marathon, especially since it's led into by a 3 hour Final Fantasy game.

The final day pulled in ~$400k last year for reference.

Did you see what happened with Chrono Trigger last year? Those last hours were insane with donations.

Give it time also as been mentioned the on screen total doesn't reflect the total raised. It doesn't matter how much they raise, it's been an awesome event and 700k is not chump change.

I definitely think they'll get more than they did last year. 1.25 million is definitely within reach. I just don't see 1.5 million happening, though.

Coonce

I definitely think they'll get more than they did last year. 1.25 million is definitely within reach. I just don't see 1.5 million happening, though.

What you don't know is that Bill gates is a huge metroid fan and he's going to have a huge 500k donation to kill the animals right before the cutoff

HTupolev

Yea they should have set the goal a bit more conservatively this year. It doesn't look good when they can't make their 1.5 million goal. People can't afford to give so much every year and their viewership can't keep growing so quickly.
I won't be shocked if they don't reach the $1.5M, but to be fair, the "goal" is a moving target. They always raise it when it's reached. This year's marathon actually started with a $500K target.

I won't be shocked if they don't reach the $1.5M, but to be fair, the "goal" is a moving target. They always raise it when it's reached. This year's marathon actually started with a $500K target.

On day one, I recall them saying that their goal this year was $1.5 million. Still, I haven't seen that on screen since then nor have I heard them mention it, so maybe they tempered their expectations.

I've watched AGDQ since it started but that one guy, Balthazar2288 has recently been appearing often as donor. I bring him up because the guy just doesn't stop donating; and donating a crap ton of money at that. Everytime that guys name...

mrlion

I've watched AGDQ since it started but that one guy, Balthazar2288 has recently been appearing often as donor. I bring him up because the guy just doesn't stop donating; and donating a crap ton of money at that. Everytime that guys name...

You make it seem like its a bad thing...

Xeteh

On day one, I recall them saying that their goal this year was $1.5 million. Still, I haven't seen that on screen since then nor have I heard them mention it, so maybe they tempered their expectations.

I can't imagine them openly aiming for $1.5m... they barely made $1m by the end of last year's marathon. Its crazy how fast the GDQs have grown but I think it'll taper off sooner rather than later.

HTupolev

Oh, I thought you were saying the advertised goal was at $1.5M. Just checked, if you look at the scrolling stuff at the top of the page, it's actually $1M at the moment. It was $500k at the start.

Sesha

I can't imagine them openly aiming for $1.5m... they barely made $1m by the end of last year's marathon. Its crazy how fast the GDQs have grown but I think it'll taper off sooner rather than later.

Nah. I think the format has a lot of longevity, as more and more people discover AGDQ each year. Even if Mega Man, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Sonic speedruns don't really change much year to year, there's plenty of people new to speedruns who watch every year. Not to mention there's plenty of ways they can mix it up with new releases, relays and different gimmicks every year. Not only that, but the novelty of the week-long marathon format has a lot of appeal, and it's only once a year. I don't see the popularity waning.

BigAT

Nah. I think the format has a lot of longevity, as more and more people discover AGDQ each year. Even if Mega Man, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and Sonic speedruns don't really change much year to year, there's plenty of people new to speedruns who watch every year. Not to mention there's plenty of ways they can mix it up with new releases, relays and different gimmicks every year. Not only that, but the novelty of the week-long marathon format has a lot of appeal, and it's only once a year. I don't see the popularity waning.

It will have longevity but it's kind of absurd, and frankly unfair, for people to think they will continue to have exponential growth every year.

"Only" hitting $1,000,000 raised for charity shouldn't be looked at as a failure.

Xeteh

Nah, I agree that people will keep watching especially with them doing different things (like the Tetris segment)... I'm just saying I find it highly unlikely that the donation totals will grow as quickly as they have recently. I can't imagine this marathon ends with $1.5+.

Venfayth

I read it more as the amount of money donated each year will wane, which is understandable even if popularity goes up. I think there's kind of a peak of money people will be willing to donate.

(I really have no idea and I'd love to be wrong!)

Xeteh

I read it more as the amount of money donated each year will wane, which is understandable even if popularity goes up. I think there's kind of a peak of money people will be willing to donate.

(I really have no idea and I'd love to be wrong!)

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. I didn't mean it to sound like I thought GDQs were gonna die or anything.

Rapstah

You could probably speedrun some of the Game Boy Shin Megami Tensei games. I know the random generator in some of those games is predictable enough that you could probably have an optimal path through the game with some resets.

Top Bottom