• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Speevy

Banned
Since I posted this in the wrong thread thanks to a necrobump, I have to ask.

Was the runner in some sort of argument with someone before the run?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
lololol I can't believe he is getting all this luck and fucked up in the first room of the game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why hasn't Shovel Knight been put up on the GDQArchive channel yet? They seem to be putting them up fairly slowly and out of order.

I know I could probably check the Twitch archives but I'd much rather watch on YouTube. Maybe tomorrow. I'll just watch some others tonight.

Nanashrew

Banned
This game doesn't lend itself to speedruns very well

I dunno, I think it does fairly well. The level cap is only 30 so there's not a whole lot of grinding, it's more streamlined but item management and skill based jumping is highly important.

EDIT: And you don't have to spend all you time in menus.

Revven

Lengthy RPGs in general aren't very good for speedrunning, but this run is pretty good for RPG standards IMO.

And there's clear skill being displayed in it (the 100 jumps, frame perfect blocks of attacks, the lite "action platforming", etc) unlike typical JRPGs where it's kind of hard to notice where the skill is vs just memorization and adapting to RNG.

Nanashrew

Banned
To give an example, FF6 ran about 7 hours last SGDQ and FF9 runs about 9 hours. RPGs are very long but Super Mario RPG does well to keep the time low. The guy is finished level grinding for the rest of the game in almost an instant from using star power.

Top Bottom