• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

Rixa

Did they lower the base health on bosses or something since launch? I don't remember them going down so fast but I stopped playing about a month after the pc release.

Alexander was somehow gliched. Great run, was fun to watch, end "Easter egg" was nice.

Platy

4YmuSX5.png

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames/status/552805870749233153

Wait. The guys commentating are really saying that having the same seed would be less fair then different seeds because "one person may look at the other persons screen".

BigAT

Just tuned in, is there some reason Sage is spending so much time messing around on each floor? Is this some sort of special run, because it seems like she already is plenty strong enough to push onward.

No Spelunky speedrun?
Probably because a Spelunky speedrun would last 2 minutes or less.

This game doesn't have seeds.
Wasn't there an unofficial tool that would allow for seeds in OG Isaac?

Wait. The guys commentating are really saying that having the same seed would be less fair then different seeds because "one person may look at the other persons screen".
Yeah, the Isaac community has always been whack about this.

it's not a good excuse, really (since you can prevent it; it's not like starcraft players look at each other screens). I'm guessing that what they actually believe is that luck should be part of the race because is such a big part of the game.

Grinchy

Banned

Yeah that seemed like strange logic to me because he mentioned that it could happen if one of the people died. If someone had to start over fresh, seeing the other person's screen for 4 seconds hardly seems like an unfair advantage that could lead to anything significant. But I'm not an Isaac runner, I could be way off.

Yeah, I thought this sounded stupid. Cause random luck is much more fair...

Probably because a Spelunky speedrun would last 2 minutes or less.

Couldn't be any shorter than the Commander Keen's. But I think a race of some kind of special run with players using the same seed could be fun to watch.

There is, but I would assume that you can't use stuff like this for GDQ speedruns.

They were using some kind of mod like this for the Rayman Legends IL runs.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Tuned in to hear the 500k announcement. Wow! It's just now Wednesday lol

Last year was big and it was assumed that it wouldn't hit $1M until Chrono Trigger steamrolled through everything. Wouldn't surprise me if they smash that milestone easily. It helps that the toothaches and technical problems have all been fixed and it feels like "old" GDQ today. Good times ahead for the weekend.

KarmaCow

Seeing does make me want to go back and finish up Platinum God in OG BoI even if I just got my first Mega Satan kill in Rebirth recently.

There is, but I would assume that you can't use stuff like this for GDQ speedruns.
Fair enough I suppose, though I still would've opted for one in the interest of fairness instead of one runner being extremely lucky and the other... not. Hard to stay interested in a race like that.

Couldn't be any shorter than the Commander Keen's. But I think a race of some kind of special run with players using the same seed could be fun to watch.
Oh it would be, teleporter runs are all kinds of intense in Spelunky and it's one of my all-time favorites, but I imagine time might've been the outlier here unless they went with a "best out of x" set on top of using seeds to normalize the randomization if opting for a multi-man race.

The difference in the times of this race make it pretty apparent that this doesn't seem like the way to have a race. :lol

I agree, but if that is the way that game's community likes to do their races then as someone who isn't involved I feel like I shouldn't really judge. The way they explained why they think being on the same seed is bad was really really stupid though.

Last year was big and it was assumed that it wouldn't hit $1M until Chrono Trigger steamrolled through everything. Wouldn't surprise me if they smash that milestone easily. It helps that the toothaches and technical problems have all been fixed and it feels like "old" GDQ today. Good times ahead for the weekend.

Yea this weekend's lineup looks super strong too, I wouldn't be surprised if they reach 1.5 mil

KarmaCow

I'm starting to wonder if the charity is helping anything because the whole chat is cancer.

Twitch chat was abandoned to the fuckwits a long time ago. People trying to use it legitimately in large streams are basically swimming through shit. It's not a solution to the idiots but you're better off ignoring it.

I agree, but if that is the way that game's community likes to do their races then as someone who isn't involved I feel like I shouldn't really judge. The way they explained why they think being on the same seed is bad was really really stupid though.

Yeah, I was just kind of thinking this when they talked about resetting near the beginning and with the reply of doing best of runs. The resetting at the beginning sounds a little cheap though. But I can definitely see the appeal of the randomness since it is the appeal of the game.

yatesl

I'm starting to wonder if the charity is helping anything because the whole chat is cancer.

Twitch chat is basically a condensed version of the Internet - completely immature. At times it can be hilarious, but at other times... Well, you saw.

Top Bottom