• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2015: Speedrunning For Charity - January 4th - 10th

SamuraiX-

lmfao after he passed the "Just Cats" store I look over at Twitch chat and it's nothing but
M01rE1W.png

Almost spit out my drink

Can't believe I didn't see that coming lol

Blizzard

Banned
Saving the animals takes more time and makes it less likely for record potential. Save frames, kill the animals!
Don't they always do a special condition? Even if save the animals wins, they kill the animals if the runner is on track for something like a world record time.

If they're not getting a record, saving animals is inline with the theme of saving people from cancer, and should only add a tiny bit of time. Certainly no major schedule hit.

*edit* Already beaten, sorry.

wOAH THE face quality in the SH ending cgi credits is REALLY good for a PSX era game o_O

IIRC, The CG cutscenes in Silent Hill were done by one guy in order for him to get credit that Konami was going to deny him otherwise, so he lived in the office and did them himself. They look ridiculously amazing.

Really liked that run. Would love to see SH2 and 3 make it to AGDQ in the future.

That was a great run with some great people even if there wasn't a ton of hype for it. Feel a more chill atmosphere is better for that game anyway. Just hanging around with friends in the middle of night is how I beat the first two Silent Hill games years ago.

Also they may have answered why G-Fex remembers his friend doing in around a half an hour at the end. If he was going on ingame recorded time it would have been right in line with the time that the guy just got there. EDIT: Beaten on someone pointing that out.

Ketch

So I watched the super mario 3 warpless run earlier today, and at the end they did a glitch run which involved very specific movements and warping through walls and stuff to magically appear at the very last scene in the game.

Well, I've been thinking about it quite a bit since watching the video, and I'm kind of confused on how/why it works. I guess it's just a bug right?

If you do these very specific things on this one level you'll fall through the world and end up at the end credits. Like obviously not really reproducible in the mass market sense, but is this the kind of stuff that they find during QA? Could this glitch be on a "known shippable" list for Super Mario 3? How the fuck did anybody figure it out for a speed run?

KarmaCow

So I watched the super mario 3 warpless run earlier today, and at the end they did a glitch run which involved very specific movements and warping through walls and stuff to magically appear at the very last scene in the game.

Well, I've been thinking about it quite a bit since watching the video, and I'm kind of confused on how/why it works. I guess it's just a bug right?

If you do these very specific things on this one level you'll fall through the world and end up at the end credits. Like obviously not really reproducible in the mass market sense, but is this the kind of stuff that they find during QA? Could this glitch be on a "known shippable" list for Super Mario 3? How the fuck did anybody figure it out for a speed run?

Maybe the glitch through the wall was known (though I doubt they were that thorough back then) but I'd assume it came from TAS runners who rip apart games, monitoring values in memory to understand how the game fundamentally functions.

You should watch a Metroid NES run. They really exploit how the levels are encoded and loaded, it's really interesting to see the game broken apart.

Tizoc

Any reason they aren't playing the JP PSN ver. of the game?

IIRC, The CG cutscenes in Silent Hill were done by one guy in order for him to get credit that Konami was going to deny him otherwise, so he lived in the office and did them himself. They look ridiculously amazing.

Really liked that run. Would love to see SH2 and 3 make it to AGDQ in the future.

Amazing.

SparkTR

That Jedi Knight 2 bit has to be the best speedrun I've seen on the stream, the engine for that game is finicky as fuck and this guy jumps around like it's nothing.

devonodev

Been catching up on the Mario runs, and DKC2 I missed today. All great runs, especially Lost Levels was a surprise stand-out.

Would anyone be able to invite me to gaf chat? Twitch username is same as here Devonodev.

Yeah I kind of want to play it now. The announcer was kind of annoying because he kept interrupting during the run. They should only say donation and plugs when the runner gives the ok.

Was a little odd that he was never asked if it was a good time for that stuff, but he also never said when it was a good time either.

Also looked it up on ebay during the run and seems to go for a highish price with the box.

Edit: Fuck yeah, save the animals is far in the lead.

Top Bottom