• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

jett

D-Member
giphy.gif

dreams

Did the princess put Mario in the friendzone at the end?

Also, looking to donate. Not sure what to put it to. Any suggestions anyone?
One that needs some help if it interests you is the Castlevania: SotN All Bosses run by Mecha Richter. It's like $7k short of its goal and is like 15 hours away from now.

Otherwise all the incentives are here if you want to take a look.

I wonder how much it costs to put these events together?

they do a great job but does some of the donations cover the costs to pay staff?

Hope they have some good Sponsors.

TAFK

Anyone else feel like GDQ has lost its luster since the early years? Something about it being such a big production now just feels like it doesn't fit for me. Far too sterile and less like a random group of speedrunners playing games for 8 days straight.

dreams

I wonder how much it costs to put these events together?

they do a great job but does some of the donations cover the costs to pay staff?

Hope they have some good Sponsors.

No, sponsors and registration fees cover the costs. All donations go to the charities (PCF for AGDQ and MSF for SGDQ).

Also most of the work (during the event itself) is done by volunteers.

Anyone else feel like GDQ has lost its luster since the early years? Something about it being such a big production now just feels like it doesn't fit for me. Far too sterile and less like a random group of speedrunners playing games for 8 days straight.

You are actually the only one who feels this way. We don't hear this constantly every year.

BasicMath

What is with the save the animals ?

what animals?

The biggest run of the event is always Super Metroid near the end of the event. At the end of the game, the runners have a chance to save some animals that guide Samus through a tutorial or some crap that the runners never even do. Saving them means losing time (frames) and killing them means saving time (frames).

It's a tradition at this point that there's a bidding war between Saving the animals/Killing frames or Saving the Frames/Killing the Animals. That bid war is actually the biggest one in the event and raises a LOT of money so it's never going away. And it gets intense at the end with single donators spending $10k at times just to save/kill the animals or frames.

Couldn't disagree more.

The scope of it has allowed tons of new games to be ran, having communities vying to have their game showcased each year drives competition all for a good cause.

The production value has only gone up and the quality of runs/content has only increased as well.

Don't understand your viewpoint at all to be honest.

KarmaCow

I do miss the post stream stuff they used to have like melee tournaments and other non-speedrun specific things.

edit: Fuck whoever at Nintendo thought it was a good idea to have a Mario game start with a billion cutscenes. How do you fuck it up so bad after the near-perfect intro that is Super Mario 64.

Asbel

One that needs some help if it interests you is the Castlevania: SotN All Bosses run by Mecha Richter. It's like $7k short of its goal and is like 15 hours away from now.

Otherwise all the incentives are here if you want to take a look.

Done! Thanks for the suggestion. Really liked romscout's blind run last summer.

dreams

I do miss the post stream stuff they used to have like melee tournaments and other non-speedrun specific things.

Yeah, the bonus streams were super fun, but it's just too expensive to rent a room for 1 or 2 days when barely anyone (comparatively) tunes in or donates.

Done! Thanks for the suggestion. Really liked romscout's blind run last summer.

No problem! That blind run was so insane. The part where his controller stopped working (or whatever actually happened) was nuts, but I'm glad he was able to recover.

BasicMath

I felt that way a few years ago when they did the "approved audience" thing. Now I think it's not all that bad.

I mean, the big things we lost are the Bonus Stream and the old closeness we had with the audience/donors but we got a whole lot of things in return.

BasicMath

This is so close. They were so beautifully in sync for like 5 secs before BounceBoy overtook Panga.

Edit: And Panga died. He's behind by a good 30 secs now.

Top Bottom