• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Crayolan

https://twitter.com/GamesDoneQuick/status/819047585457373184

Who the hell does this to N64 controllers!? WHY!?

but-why.gif

Shawn@AGDQ ‏@xxshawn
@Trevperson @GamesDoneQuick They're all really bad/broken controllers

Chill guys.

Glad to see they've fixed the audio issues, but they are still having video capture issues... Why did they change their capture equipment from the avermedia cards they've been using? Whatever they are using now are shit.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Doubling back on some stuff:

- Ape Escape 2: Run seemed pretty good and game seemed neat. Recommendation: Throw a shit fit on Twitter because you don't know how to behave in public and then demand an apology that you tell people, pre-emptively, you're going to upload on the internet presumably to trigger a witch hunt against the person that wronged you, also whine about how SJWs are thin-skinned babies while you are aggressively yelling about how your rights are violated because no one wants to be your friend.
- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: I found the runner very difficult to tolerate but people in here liked him. There's a lot of cool tech, but personally I found the run a little long and kinda drifted off. Recommendation: Watch only if you really want to see one.
- Borderlands 2: Good tech and very engaging runners but not a very interesting game. Recommendation: Skip
- Psychonauts: Great run with some great tech, good runner. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Shovel Knight race: Good commentary, not sure we get a ton of benefit from the race format. Recommendation: Watch a Shovel Knight run somewhere, not necessarily this one
- Mega Man 1: Great four-person race with some genuine tension as to who will win, and a few clutch bits. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Silent Hill 4: The Room: Honestly, excellent runner, great run, and it really increased my interest in the game, which I had played some of but not all of before. Recommendation: Worth a watch.
- Hitman: Blood Money is a well-executed run but the speedrun strats for levels are lot less entertaining than some of the other, less glitched silent assassin videos you can see on YouTube. Recommendation: Skip
- The Turing Test: Excellent run for such a young game with some good tech and the runner is a very engaging, funny guy (some complaining about the devs "not testing the game", which is a pet peeve of mine, but still). Some tech issues. The game is most notable for its story though, so... Recommendation: Watch if you've played the game
- Hyper Princess Pitch: This is a hilarious top-down Smash TV style action game. Never heard of it. The tech doesn't seem super impressive but it's very cool looking game. Recommendation: Worth a watch
- Hydra Castle Labyrinth: The run isn't great with several deaths and safety save loads, but the game looks excellent if you like La-Mulana, Rogue Legacy, Castle in the Darkness, or other exploration paltformers. Really cool game. Recommendation: Worth looking the game up but not watching the run.
- Kirby: Tilt 'n' Tumble: Honestly neither the game nor the tech seemed that interesting BUT it is a game boy game that you control by tilting the game boy and pressing buttons and they play it on a GameCube so the runner sits in a chair, uses a DDR pad for the buttons, and physically swings the GameCube around to play the game so that's amazing. Recommendation: Watch a random 2 minutes of it and crack up laughing.
- Rocket: Robot on Wheels: This is like an insanely good game, I have no idea how I've never heard of or played this before, and the tech is great, and the run was great, wow.
- Super Monkey Ball 2: Good run, good tech, always like seeing Monkey Ball run. Recommendation: Watch.
- Super Monkey Ball Adventure: Runner spends the entire time complaining about the game. Recommendation: Skip

Others I've watched since then:
- Super Mario Kart: Time trial race, pretty visually boring. Recommendation: Skip.
- Congo's Caper: This didn't seem like a very good game and I didn't think the run was notable. Recommendation: Skip.
- Sunset Riders: Excellent game but it's an autoscroller with very little tech and the run went pretty poorly with lots of unplanned deaths, many at the worst possible times. Recommendation: Skip
- Mario Paint: It's just a run of the Fly Swatter mode. The player is good but not great. Recommendation: Skip
- Battle Clash: Great, underrated game, cool run with several quickkills. If you've never played the game it's like Punch Out, but played with the Super Scope (a bazooka peripheral for the SNES). The runner plays half the game facing away from the screen and using a mirror (!?!). Really cool. Recommendation: Watch
- Ninja Gaiden Pacifist Race: Great run. The race was pretty low tension except one part near the end, but both players played really well and the tech is great. Cool way to re-explore a fun game. Recommendation: Watch
- Ninja Gaiden 2 Pacifist: Even better; this game had even more interesting tech like taking damage to boost out of a room, dying from the damage, and the death not registering until the second room. Way way cool. Recommendation: Watch
- Batman: Return of the Joker: Great late NES game that deserves more exposure, good run, commentary just OK. Recommendation: Maybe watch?
- Decap Attack: Another underappreciated game, fun late night run. Recommendation: Maybe watch if you want to see a weird janky Genesis platformer.
- Adventure Island 4: Great commentary, great run. Recommendation: Watch
- Mickey's Dangerous Chase: Kinda lame GBC platformer, and while the runner was entertaining, it didn't quite reach good Bad Games Done Quickly territory. I was left wondering why they accepted this run. Recommendation: Meh
- Jazz Jackrabbit: Great run, excellent presentation, but not a lot of tech, mostly just good routing and high skill play. Recommendation: Watch if you're a fan of Jazz or like engaging presenters.
- Jumping Flash 2: How dope is this game? Good run. Recommendation: Watch
- Road Trip Adventure: Great presenter, great run, totally bizarre game, some awesome tech and glitches. There's a breakdown in the middle where the runner needs to load a safety save because a big skip in the game involves winning on a Roulette wheel. It's understandable but does kill the run a bit, but besides that excellent. Recommendation: Watch, but skip the Roulette segment.

The FF run was crazy. Super in depth and the runners and couch were incredibly well versed in every detail of the game. Can't imagine how long it must take to learn exactly where to step how to set up everything just right etc. Killing war mech and chaos even after a cure 4 was icing on the cake!

Gauntlet run was fun too, extremely close. Definitely enjoyed watching.

The FF run was crazy. Super in depth and the runners and couch were incredibly well versed in every detail of the game. Can't imagine how long it must take to learn exactly where to step how to set up everything just right etc. Killing war mech and chaos even after a cure 4 was icing on the cake!

Gauntlet run was fun too, extremely close. Definitely enjoyed watching.

Gyre runs FF1 an average of about 3 times a week (or was leading up to AGDQ) but he and Feasel also both do routing streams from time to time and those are usually a couple of hours at a time over a couple of days with a lot of breaks for note taking, screen shot capturing etc. Gyre's routing streams are pretty interesting for FF1 because built a bunch of really neat custom LUA scripts for use with FCEUX that really help with learning some of the intricacies.

Like Feasel said at one point during the run, the community of fans and people interested in FF1 is super strong and really helpful. Both of those runners have super chill streams for hanging out in and talking about old games, corn dogs, programming and so on.

Nanashrew

Banned
Hyped for Moon Crystal up next :D My friend should be on the couch commentating.

It's a pretty cool game, lots of animation for a Famicom title. Also very obscure so not many play it. Though there is a TAS of it you can find on YouTube. The TAS was made by a Japanese runner and contributor so you won't get much text info about the techniques and how to perform them unfortunately.

Hyped for Moon Crystal up next :D My friend should be on the couch commentating.

It's a pretty cool game, lots of animation for a Famicom title. Also very obscure so not many play it. Though there is a TAS of it you can find on YouTube. The TAS was made by a Japanese runner and contributor so you won't get much text info about the techniques and how to perform them unfortunately.

You jinxed em! Game crashed right at the 6 minute mark and they had to start over. That sucked.

hamchan

Guy going over reminded me of Bonesaw's legendary Jak and Daxter run last year where he still came in under time.

Went to look him up and found out he got banned for a year for that run. That seems incredible dumb and mean to me, since that run was fantastic quite frankly, and gave GDQ a lot of positive attention imo.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Addams Familiy fucked my life as a kid. Holy cow that was insane!

Oh Bishi Bashi looks cool let's look it up:
Bishi Bashi (ビシバシチャンプ Bishi Bashi Chanpu?) is a series of Konami
Well that at least explains the European release. Konami used to release certain things in Europe but not America like a few Paroidus games and that Twinbee 2D platformer (though with the story and world map removed because you don't need such complicated things).

Recall

That was a great run, never seen the game before but you can see how hard it is and it's very easy to appreciate the skill.

Top Bottom