• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

ScribbleD

The X race is always a treat. So many insanely difficult tricks being pulled off on the first try.

The magic carpet trick in Eagle's stage is new to me.

xevis

Banned
Awesome performances. Too bad it's so hard to tell what's going on. They really need indicators showing who is in the lead and how much the others are behind by. Replays would also help viewers better understand the run in detail and appreciate the skill involved.

Edit:
Thinking it over a bit, production team and commentary would all benefit from watching a few stages of the Tour de France! I think there are many similarities: race within a race, cut to this, go to that, explain the mechanics of this section, replay that move etc.

SJRB

Gold Member
Best thing I've seen so far this AGDQ, that was awesome. Hype run, hype crowd, hype commentators, hype announcer.

KarmaCow

Awesome performances. Too bad it's so hard to tell what's going on. They really need indicators showing who is in the lead and how much the others are behind by. Replays would also help viewers better understand the run in detail and appreciate the skill involved.

Edit:
Thinking it over a bit, production team and commentary would all benefit from watching a few stages of the Tour de France! I think there are many similarities: race within a race, cut to this, go to that, explain the mechanics of this section, replay that move etc.

You can tell who is in the lead most of the time because they'll switch to the audio from their feed and put a music note next to their name.

As for how far people are behind and what not, that's a bit tough because there isn't a real consistent metric for that between games much less between individual runs. Different people take different paths, take different risks, different luck when it comes to RNG, and have different levels of execution that makes it hard to boil it down to single value to display.

People want to see the run in it's entirety too so I don't think cutting between views or cutting out stuff wouldn't go over well.

Brashnir

You can tell who is in the lead most of the time because they'll switch to the audio from their feed and put a music note next to their name.

As for how far people are behind and what not, that's a bit tough because there isn't a real consistent metric for that between games much less between individual runs. Different people take different paths, take different risks, different luck when it comes to RNG, and have different levels of execution that makes it hard to boil it down to single value to display.

People want to see the run in it's entirety too so I don't think cutting between views or cutting out stuff wouldn't go over well.

All true. One thing that would be nice (at least in races where the runners are expected to take the same route) would be if they displayed the last split time for each racer with a description of when the split was marked. Such as, "1-1 clear - 00:32.3"

Of course, this may be beyond their manpower capabilities to track, but it would be handy.

"Why am I running this game!?" Because if there is one thing this game was designed for, it was for speed running. Also it's an annoying game that stops you every 10 seconds to try and tell you things, but it's really not nearly as bad as people think it is... It's just a mismanaged kickstarter game by someone who people thought would do much better... but even as far as shitty kickstarters go, at least we got a completed game at the end.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the game run has been good--this is a clearly a very good player and the commentators know the game very well. It's great seeing a deep look into a game that is clearly not great.

... but, uh... ...

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What does the hat say?

latest

"I met Steve Blum. He promised he would RT one of my tweets, but he didn't do it."

JESUS CHRIST DUDE

This... He started saying it and I went "Dear god please don't say 'but he didn't do it...'"... And then he did.

I didn't think the most painful part of a MN9 run would be the commentators... but I was mistaken from before it started.

Also I have no idea what Top Nep means, and even Urban Dictionary only gave me an uninterested shrug (literally, in ASCII form).

Is this runner like an ironic parody or something

He's Arin from Game Grump's 'Let's Play' voice personified...

"Come on Devewelopers."

It's a reference to a game who's fanbase mainly consists of "anime avatars."

I have no idea what happened to 'anime culture' over the years... *old man yelling at cloud moment* when I was younger I was so into things like fansubbing... I spent countless hours timing karaoke subs and what not...

Has X4 ever been run in a gdq?

Every Mega Man has been run countless times over the last 5 years, including 4. Not sure when it was run last off the top of my head though.

Speaking of which, I missed the Legends run yesterday, was it any good? I've been following BlueMetal and his world record runs of 1 and 2 so I was looking forward to it, but I assumed it'd be part of the Mega Man block. Really confused why Legends and MM1 weren't part of the block, but MN9 was.

neshcom

Banned
Speaking of which, I missed the Legends run yesterday, was it any good? I've been following BlueMetal and his world record runs of 1 and 2 so I was looking forward to it, but I assumed it'd be part of the Mega Man block. Really confused why Legends and MM1 weren't part of the block, but MN9 was.

I liked it! Good commentators and explanations.

Top Bottom