• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

Permanently A

1x
CANT
1x
SEND
1x
ME
1x
TO
1x
THE
1x
SHUTTLE
1x
WITH
1x
THESE
1x
MOVES
1x

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I never said "fuck the runners." I do think that their needs in this particular instance (and especially how it was applied) conflict with the spirit of the event.

i wouldn't say it conflicts with the spirit of the event simply because the quiet periods have never been an issue on past SM runs, nor has the cheering and applause - this commentary simply didn't have any rapport with the crowd

MrFortyFive

I am filled with DETERMINATION. Really though, Just seeing this upcoming run makes me want to play through this game again. I never did finish my true pacifist playthrough.

Aeana

Please don't watch the Undertale run if you have not played the game but plan to. Or at least don't watch a lot of it. If you don't know what Undertale is and don't know if you'd be interested in it, maybe watch the beginning. Then stop.

The donations are more important than the runners. For better or (mostly) worse, the crowd and atmosphere is part of that.

I'd put it that what's important is the entertainment, because that brings in the donations- but the key there is that different people are entertained by different things so you need to keep a balance of all of the things that make GDQ- runners being super good at their thing, amusing couch banter, HYPE crowd, amusing donations, etc etc. You can't hold one of them so sacrosanct that it hurts the others.

In general I would say that the problem with the crowd is that they're not as loud for the stream as they are for the people up on stage, so what's okay for us may be obnoxious for the runners. The fact that GDQ has had a growing reputation for being NO FUN ALLOWED and banning people over shit that nobody in any segment of its audience has a problem with (ie Bonesaw) probably amplifies the issues people have with stuff like this.

KarmaCow

but the event is about showcasing speedrunners?

The runners are crucial of course but don't get it twisted, the event is about raising money for charity. There's a reason why most runs involve using safety strats instead of just endless restarting when they fuck up 5 minutes into a run.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
all these good memories from the soundtrack alone BibleThump

unfortunately i missed almost the whole event this time. please give some tips for the best/funniest/most interesting runs to check. i mean, most of the runs were no doubt awesome but i'm sure you have some favorites.

last summer for example i really enjoyed the jawdropping Tetris exhibition madness, the blindfolded run of Castlevania or the one-handed Transformers by Halfcoordinated

what were some must-watch runs this time?

i sadly didn't see much this year due to my work schedule, but the Vice City run was fantastic

Permanently A

Please don't watch the Undertale run if you have not played the game but plan to. Or at least don't watch a lot of it. If you don't know what Undertale is and don't know if you'd be interested in it, maybe watch the beginning.

Yeah and the game's $5 on steam and only takes like 10 hours to play. Great game.

edit: or at least it was $5 recently

are you going to actually play undertale? if you've got an interest in those type of games, i would absolutely not watch the run
Please don't watch the Undertale run if you have not played the game but plan to. Or at least don't watch a lot of it. If you don't know what Undertale is and don't know if you'd be interested in it, maybe watch the beginning. Then stop.
^ I wouldn't recommend watching the run if you plan to play it.

It's a great game, worth experiencing first-hand.

MrLandmaster

Neo Member
But metroid is the big thing at the event and these guys can play the whole thing with their eyes closed, especially the last few sections.

Absolutely not. As a lapsed Super Metroid speedrunner, Tourian is the most clutch part of the run and can make or break the whole thing in so many different ways. No matter how much you play it, this isn't a game you can play with your eyes closed. It's on the whole time.

Top Bottom