• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2017 | January 8th - January 15th | Speedrunning for Charity

dickroach

Can't believe the SM run ended up being this dull.

Really hope it picks up again with Undertale.

the runner, in the interview before this, made it seem like he had a TON of strats and skips and whatever to talk about during the Undertale run. and considering it's the first GDQ its at, it should be cool. crowd won't matter

jblank83

Nothing wrong with serious time. It's just the way he said it.

Usually they say, "ok, guys, we're going to need some serious time here."
Usually they don't say, "SIILLEEENNCEEE!!!"

Brick

Holy shit, this stream went from crazy hype to nothing. Donations slowed to a crawl once that guy told everyone to kill themselves, and "SILENCE PLEASE" made it even worse. Talk about a cold shower.

Gurrry

It's jsut so dumb, it's a charity race. it doesn't matter about performances. Hell people fail a lot of races in the past too. This isn't them setting WR pace or whatever. It should be for the fun of the crowd and the enjoyment that that brings for a good cause. The more into they are, the better the run is (specially with this weak commentary) and the more people might want to donate to

I have to agree on this. The commentator kept talking during the super serious time too. I would understand that if they were on WR pace or something, but were nearing the end of a week long charity event that has raised a record breaking amount.

Not to mention, save the animals won, which isnt an optimal route anyway.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
They chose a terrible commentator for the Metroid Race. Flat commentary and his whole "everyone quiet!", is completely against the spirit of the event.

What could of been exciting just felt so flat as a result.

devonodev

"Serious time" is not remotely new to GDQ. They call for it when they need to concentrate to get specific tricks. It's something the runners all wanted, so why shouldn't they be able to have it?
Do we know the runners did want it though? Was it runner's decision, or just commentary.

RocknRola

I'm really happy that $2 million is essencially in the bag :)

They "only" need ~$130k more, which going by how fast the donations in the previous 3-4 games were, should be more than doable. Despite whatever problems the gaming community does have (and some are indeed quite serious) this is one of those things everyone can be proud of. Hope it keeps on going for many, many years and helps those in need!

linko9

Bummer that some of you didn't enjoy 100% as much, to me it's the best speedrun out there, and this race was amazing! Incredible display of skill whether you know the game well or not, allows for a whole range of insane tricks and movement that you don't get in any%. I think with more exciting commentary and no weirdness, yall might have liked it more.

Caim

I feel like Undertale will without a doubt bring to it $2 million, especially since it's also the first time it's being speedrun at AGDQ.

emb

"Serious time" is not remotely new to GDQ. They call for it when they need to concentrate to get specific tricks. It's something the runners all wanted, so why shouldn't they be able to have it?
Serious time is perfectly fine and normal. Just felt different here; they requested it for a long time period (across 4 different runners), even when the big stuff wasn't going on. They also stifled the crowd for clapping when a runner successfully did stuff, which was weird.

Not a big deal for sure, just awkward.

Aeana

I'm looking forward to Undertale. This is the first time they've gotten Toby's blessing to be able to run it at GDQ.

robotrock

Banned
Bummer that some of you didn't enjoy 100% as much, to me it's the best speedrun out there, and this race was amazing! Incredible display of skill whether you know the game well or not, allows for a whole range of insane tricks and movement that you don't get in any%. I think with more exciting commentary and no weirdness, yall might have liked it more.

Totally. The fact that there was like two runners in almost perfect sync on multiple occasions throughout the race was impressive as hell.

commentary and the weirdness def were a bit of a bummer

Gurrry

I feel like Undertale will without a doubt bring to it $2 million, especially since it's also the first time it's being speedrun at AGDQ.

The runner did an interview before SM and he sounds like a super laid back duder. Hopefully hes doing commentary on his own run. I think theyll push it over to 2 million easily.

The hype will come back next run. Time for the good vibes to make a comeback.

Spend the whole event doing the stupid "kill/save the animal" thing.
Get to the point of the game and tell everyone to be completely silent.

Tookay

That was really deflating.

I don't really care who requested the silence - this is a charity event. Hype, fun, and ensuring goodwill (and donations) should trump everything else.

Dreavus

They really needed Sinister1 and Golden for commentary. They were godlike.

I was thinking of this actually. Was that last year or the year before? Did they commentate for more than one?

Either way that was definitely one of the most memorable events inside a GDQ.

Aeana

I don't really care who requested the silence - this is a charity event. Hype, fun, and ensuring goodwill (and donations) should trump everything else.

Telling runners that what they want doesn't factor in is not a good way to get people to want to participate.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

yeah, usually they'll ask the crowd to quiet down a bit but this was excessive compared to what they usually do, the commentary was a bit low key from the beginning, and then that comment halfway through...

tci

Spend the whole event doing the stupid "kill/save the animal" thing.
Get to the point of the game and tell everyone to be completely silent.
The entire run was badly handled from the start. Commentary was non existent. Hype was shut down constantly. I understand serious time. But that is not the way to handle it. Before the commentary did this job. Explaining it to both the audience and those watching.

Apathy

BTW i missed something in some run before metroid but i'm reading through twitter comments, was there some sort of transphobic comment made?

Velcro Fly

They need to do a better job of controlling the crowd. Having fun and hype is cool, but often times these runners have spent a ton of time learning and getting good enough at the game to run it in a marathon. It's disrespectful as hell to be treating it like this when there are multiple hard tricks back to back. It ain't a let's play.

Nanashrew

Banned
I dunno if I should keep watching and get spoiled or not. I've gotten too invested in the donation counter and wanting it to hit 2 million. GAF, what do? D:

Mudron

When it doubt, feed the crowd and keep the energy up, especially if there aren't any world records or personal best times at stake.

(At the very least, don't let your commentator get sheepish when things get weird so much that they forget to keep the donation reads coming.)

Silent time was lame. Go to a sporting event or even a gaming event like LoL and feel the crowds energy. It's a charity event, nobody is setting world records in SM there.

Aeana

They need to do a better job of controlling the crowd. Having fun and hype is cool, but often times these runners have spent a ton of time learning and getting good enough at the game to run it in a marathon. It's disrespectful as hell to be treating it like this when there are multiple hard tricks back to back. It ain't a let's play.

Apparently the crowd is more important than the runners.

Top Bottom