• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

PaulloDEC

Almost 7 hours in. Just met
Ophelia
. 63% map completion, so there's still a lot to do.

Oh, and I just found the
trenchcoat
. Opens up a lot of new ways. Love it.

Damn, you work fast! I'm up to 18 hours logged with 86% Map.

Story-wise, I think I'm close to being done. I've got the
Red Coat
and all but maybe two or three weapons now. Collecting all the weapons has become slightly compulsive at this point; I just love seeing all those little coloured icons in my quick-select! I just picked up the
Flamethrower
a few minutes ago. So good.

Endo Punk

I've finally learnt to effectively use the map to find hidden areas and items instead of running around like a headless chicken from one place to the other. Fun though.

NIN90

I'm completely stuck after getting the
lab coat
. I've gone everywhere I could and I can't seem to progress. Am I supposed to do something with the power source? Because I can't do anything with it. Any hints?

Also, is this jump to the left supposed to be impossible with the high jump right now? Because it seems like I should be able to make it.

cb1td5gwmaalnvn4ru0h.jpg

PaulloDEC

lab coat
. I've gone everywhere I could and I can't seem to progress. Am I supposed to do something with the power source? Because I can't do anything with it. Any hints?

Also, is this jump to the left supposed to be impossible with the high jump right now? Because it seems like I should be able to make it.

It's impossible. You'll ultimately be able to make it back to the other side, but not by jumping. You can safely forget about that route for now.

As for where to go next, hopefully someone else here will have some ideas. There's so many different areas blocked off in so many different ways that it becomes really hard to keep a track of them all.

NIN90

nvm I'm an idiot

*facepalms*

I do like that the game doesn't hold your hand. That is something modern Metroidvainias usually don't get right.

eXistor

Finished it yesterday and what a great game! If Nintendo made it and named it Metroid it would be hailed as one of the better ones in the series. As it is, it's a fantastic clone that's a bit too much like Metroid. But at the same time, thank God it's so much like it, because I've been itching for a real Metroid experience and Nintendo sure isn't giving us that anytime soon.

Great stuff, I'd say my only negatives would be the main character and music.

Why did they have to make him speak so much and why on earth is he snarky? It doesn't fit the game's vibe at all. Also, I don't think the music's that great, but I can see how people like it. The tracks that work best are very reminiscent of Metroid, but most other ones fall flat for me. I wonder how I would view the game if I hadn't played all the Metroid games. I won't deny that much of my enjoyment comes from it being so much like them.

Megasoum

Banned
Just got
the jump and lab coat
.... Amazing!

So just to be sure.. Without spoiling me anything, there's not any kind of fast travel right?

Like I don't want a huge skyrim style fast travel obviously but like if one save room for each region could act as a ft point it would be nice.

Edit: Wait... I can't even go back to Absu when coming from Zi right now... I guess I need another ability to go back.

flowsnake

So many secrets in this game, I think I'm missing half a dozen or so weapons even though I explored as much as I could. Had enough of the game now, but it's nice for those who want it.

Ocaso

Just completed. Just a fantastic experience. Final stats:

Total time of 14 hours. 93% map. 73% items. Can't wait to max those out soon.

kvothe

nvm I'm an idiot

*facepalms*

I do like that the game doesn't hold your hand. That is something modern Metroidvainias usually don't get right.

I was stuck at that same place for a while, too. I was starting to think I had missed something important back in that area before that drop off. But I persevered!

Ambitious

I am now fighting what I believe to be the second to last boss.
The laser robot. I thought the boss fights couldn't get any worse after the wasp/hornet, but I was wrong. No idea how I'm supposed to evade its projectiles. And why isn't the save point just outside its room, like with any other boss before? Why do I have to go through that one room full of annoying laser robots every single time, usually losing about 20% of my health doing so?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm maybe 90 minutes into the game and... I dunno, it's alright. It's a totally functional Metroid game, but it lacks atmosphere. There's no sense of place to keep you going forward; you get to a new area, and it looks just like the old one. There's nothing that makes me want to explore.

So, maybe it'll click... but right now, I'm pretty disappointed.

baconcow

I am stuck within a small portion of the game and cannot proceed or leave it. No weapon or item seems to get me out. Hope this is an oversight of my own.
Wall too high to jump over one screen and platform too high to reach on the other. Went into a secret area, my second. Only have base disruption gun and few other items. Just started pretty much.

Ocaso

lab coat

You definitely can't make that jump yet. The way to go is nearby and the teleport ability is the key to getting there. Keep exploring. If you need a stronger hint let me know.

I'm maybe 90 minutes into the game and... I dunno, it's alright. It's a totally functional Metroid game, but it lacks atmosphere. There's no sense of place to keep you going forward; you get to a new area, and it looks just like the old one. There's nothing that makes me want to explore.

So, maybe it'll click... but right now, I'm pretty disappointed.

This is not unfair criticism. I'd argue that the biggest issue is that many environments lack visual cohesiveness. There's tons of variety, but perhaps unified color palettes in each area would have helped create better presence.

That said, I wouldn't say the game entirely lacks atmosphere, only that it's not as pronounced as in Metroid games.

bede-x

So just to be sure.. Without spoiling me anything, there's not any kind of fast travel right?

Like I don't want a huge skyrim style fast travel obviously but like if one save room for each region could act as a ft point it would be nice.

I'd argue that it does have fast travel. Not in the way you'd expect, but ones you start realising how the map is connected and how fast your character actually becomes..

Endo Punk

Beat the game. 5 stars. Really enjoyed my time. Last boss was really hard but search for a new weapon helped a lot, was able to take him down without much trouble. Took me 18 hours with 53 deaths. Will explore the environment sometime later, really dig the giger influence in character design and such.

Megasoum

Banned
lab coat

Yeah I feel like I'm stuck at roughly the same spot. Not too sure where to go now.

Edit:Oh wow lol... I just found a size node in a secret area completely by accident while jumping arround lol.

I am stuck at 99% map with only Edin left but my Edin map matches Sirtaptap's map with full coverage. Ive gone around 3 times now, no idea what I'm missing here. I think someone else had this same issue earlier in the thread. Any help?

Seventy70

I can't seem to get to the secret world in Edin. Can someone help? I already got the range extender node, so I can go through that area, but I can't figure out how to get to the secret world.

Also, I didn't get the %100 for Edin even though I think I got everything except the secret world. Do secret worlds count towards the completion for the area? The only one that I think I might have missed is that health node right about the secret world on the map.

Ocaso

Yeah I feel like I'm stuck at roughly the same spot. Not too sure where to go now.

Edit:Oh wow lol... I just found a size node in a secret area completely by accident while jumping arround lol.

Someone asked the developer about this section on his Twitter. His hint was as follows:
look up

As an aside, he also mentions a sequel is likely, so I guess the game sold well enough!

Megasoum

Banned
So without spoiling anything specific can you guys tell me if the secret worlds are part of the main path?

I just found one in KUR and I've been banging my head against it for like 30min now so if it's optional I'll probably just come back later.

Megasoum

Banned
lol... So I found a "If your'e stuck there" video for where I'm at right now but it doesn't help at all... Apparently I'm missing some upgrades/weapons... No idea where they are though..

Edit: Found the solution on youtube on how to get the
drone

This is dumb

Just got 100% map! It turns out Sirtaptap was missing 2 squares in Edin so I snapped a pic to help get it completed.

xDE7MoG.jpg

They're on his map already, go ahead and look again, but I made the same error and simply didn't count out the grid squares and assumed that room was complete without trying to explore it more.

They're on his map already, go ahead and look again, but I made the same error and simply didn't count out the grid squares and assumed that room was complete without trying to explore it more.
Maybe we were looking at an older map... I noticed hes been updating it.

Anyway, now to hunt down notes/items.

GeoramA

Just got the ability where you can
glitch through walls

I can't believe one man made this, it's just so good.

ThisOne

How the heck did you do it? I spent like 30 minutes last night trying to do that. Is there a special ability needed? I couldn't get up that high at all.

The way I did it was launch my drone from the right hand side up at the right hand wall. Then I used the ability to transport myself to my drone. After that, you have to quickly double tap left to morph through the wall and get the item. So press triangle when your drone hits the wall then left, left really quick.

Xenthar

Oh, found one more item not on the map yet
just above the grappling hook, health node

Thank you very much! That's what I was missing.
Weird, I have all yellow dot on all area but I'm at 99%. 1/5 mini health nodes so I guess I gotta find some secret area, only found 2 so far

JP

Really enjoying this so far although it dies have a few rough edges. Not a fan of boss battles in any but I was really surprised how simple the 3rd boos is, not sure if I was playing it wrong but I don't think I git hit once due to how simple it was.

The first two bosses weren't hard but at least they took a little skill to beat them. Still enjoying it though.

ThisOne

How do I most easily take out the
laser drone things
in the last area?
The ones that open and close while they fly around.

system11

how the hell do I get to the area on the right of the screen in Kur?

10560548_10152944324007039_8840169569830308842_o.jpg

You can't get to it from there, there's a route slightly higher up the drone can get through

I love everything about this game, the music works especially well. Potential GOTY for me.

SerTapTap

How do I most easily take out the
laser drone things
in the last area?
The ones that open and close while they fly around.

Just glitch them. You'll see. You should glitch almost everything in that area, they hit too hard and are too hard to dodge, it's always worth it.

The
Sentinel
is kicking my ass.

Stay under it and hammer it until it closes, then crouch in a corner, it's a tough boss. You can also leave the room for some reason and I think it's health doesn't reset unless you die or go too far away.

Thank you very much! That's what I was missing.
Weird, I have all yellow dot on all area but I'm at 99%. 1/5 mini health nodes so I guess I gotta find some secret area, only found 2 so far

Did you get a health node by glitching one of the grubs?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, I think I'm done. I just really don't like the game at all. The lacking atmosphere and absence of unique environments kills the experience for me. The enemies, too, are almost across the board, really annoying... which doesn't particularly inspire me to play any further. It's like if every enemy in Castlevania was a flea-man or medusa head. Anyway...

It's a shame -- the dev really nailed the Metroidvania progression. The pacing feels right, the map design is spot-on, and the the difficulty is exactly where I want it. Unfortunately, the reason Super Metroid and SOTN are so revered isn't just that progression; it's also because they created that sense of wonder whenever you entered a new area, and because they always built a mood around each envrionment. You take away half the experience, and you're left with a nice framework... but not much of a game.

Or maybe coming to it directly after Bloodborne just spoiled me.

SerTapTap

Alright, I think I'm done. I just really don't like the game at all. The lacking atmosphere and absence of unique environments kills the experience for me. The enemies, too, are almost across the board, really annoying... which doesn't particularly inspire me to play any further. It's like if every enemy in Castlevania was a flea-man or medusa head. Anyway...

It's a shame -- the dev really nailed the Metroidvania progression. The pacing feels right, the map design is spot-on, and the the difficulty is exactly where I want it. Unfortunately, the reason Super Metroid and SOTN are so revered isn't just that progression; it's also because they created that sense of wonder whenever you entered a new area, and because they always built a mood around each envrionment. You take away half the experience, and you're left with a nice framework... but not much of a game.

Or maybe coming to it directly after Bloodborne just spoiled me.

Can't really agree with anything said here beyond the bit avoid Metroidvania progression. How far did you get? The environments and sense of wonder are one of my favorite things about the game. Kinda guessing you never progressed far beyond the third boss.

Chitown B

You can't get to it from there, there's a route slightly higher up the drone can get through

I love everything about this game, the music works especially well. Potential GOTY for me.

Thanks. I looked at the wall all the way down. I wish it was easier to see what you can do where.

Stay under it and hammer it until it closes, then crouch in a corner, it's a tough boss. You can also leave the room for some reason and I think it's health doesn't reset unless you die or go too far away.

Thanks, leaving the room to get health did the trick.

Any advice on what weapons to use against the final boss?

Megasoum

Banned
Is it just me or is Edin weirdly difficult compared to the other zones? I somehow die before I get out of the first room...

Top Bottom