• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Can't really agree with anything said here beyond the bit avoid Metroidvania progression. How far did you get? The environments and sense of wonder are one of my favorite things about the game. Kinda guessing you never progressed far beyond the third boss.

That is correct. Got past that, played a little more, called it quits.

PaulloDEC

Welp:

Mhsb.jpg

Great experience all round. Dropped Bloodborne to play this; no regrets.

I don't get the remote play controls. How do I drill?

The triggers are usually bound to the corners of the touchscreen/touchpad iirc.

Thanks, leaving the room to get health did the trick.

Any advice on what weapons to use against the final boss?

Flamethrower
, all day every day.

What's everyone's favorite gun? I use the short range electric shotgun thing the most, myself. Forget what it's called.

Kilver was it? That was my go-to for a long time.

I really liked
Shards
personally, and the
guided lightning gun
was great too. I was kinda surprised how much I enjoyed the one that fires
pink orbs that race around the edges of objects
too; that one came in really handy.

Oh, and
Flamethrower
. So much fun.

yoplay

So I went back to this game after feeling bored with it after about an hour of gameplay. Ended up playing for 4-5 hours straight. My OCD went into overdrive once I started obtaining secrets. Weird thing happened though.

I ended up bouncing off of one enemy and was able to backtrack to the beginning at 34% completion. I am at the final boss (I think), but he just simply ignores me. Can't fight him yet.

Welp:

Great experience all round. Dropped Bloodborne to play this; no regrets.

The triggers are usually bound to the corners of the touchscreen/touchpad iirc.

Flamethrower
, all day every day.

Kilver was it? That was my go-to for a long time.

I really liked
Shards
personally, and the
guided lightning gun
was great too. I was kinda surprised how much I enjoyed the one that fires
pink orbs that race around the edges of objects
too; that one came in really handy.

Oh, and
Flamethrower
. So much fun.

Is it hard?

Seventy70

I still haven't found all of the items in Kur even though I'm pretty sure I got everything on TapTap's map. Is Kur 100% for items on that? This is so frustrating.

PaulloDEC

Is it hard?

The game as a whole you mean? It can be challenging, but it's certainly nowhere close to Bloodborne, if that helps. The difficulty typically comes from environmental puzzles, i.e. working out where to use your abilities in order to progress. Bosses can be tricky too, but they generally have weaknesses that can be exploited.

I don't think of myself as someone who likes hard games, but I really enjoyed Axiom Verge. Make of that what you will.

Where is this?

Also, how am I supposed to get the code to get the
flamethrower
?

I think that's in the left-most open area of Edin.

As for the other thing you mentioned, I think there's a code written on one of the ceilings on the way up towards it?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I keep getting stuck at the bottom of Kur North-East rectangle area in the map. Any ideas what to do? I can't jump to either platform and I don't know where to head afterwards.

Schlep

Really having an issue of not knowing where to go next. I don't have the
transport ability
so I can't get the
data bomb
and it seems like progressing on Edin requires possibly both. What am I missing? Been running around for 3 hours.

Z3M0G

Game is amazeballs... but im pretty much completely stuck now. Ive re-explored the entire map at least twice trying to find the next powerup i need.

Im not ready to give up yet and ask, but im taking a couple days off and playing other stuff. Im sure when i return it will just click. It usually happens like that.

PaulloDEC

Where is the
flamethrower
?

Info below. As far as I know you won't be able to get to it until very late in the game.

Vague:
Eribu.

Specific:
Eribu. Take the branch that leads from (roughly) the middle of the zone and goes in a straight line to the left.

Really Specific:
Eribu. Take the branch that leads from (roughly) the middle of the zone and goes in a straight line to the left. Go as far left as you can, then attempt to head straight up. You'll need a passcode to open up the chamber with the item, and pretty much all the gear in the game to reach it in the first place.

kvothe

The game as a whole you mean? It can be challenging, but it's certainly nowhere close to Bloodborne, if that helps. The difficulty typically comes from environmental puzzles, i.e. working out where to use your abilities in order to progress. Bosses can be tricky too, but they generally have weaknesses that can be exploited.

I don't think of myself as someone who likes hard games, but I really enjoyed Axiom Verge. Make of that what you will.

I think that's in the left-most open area of Edin.

As for the other thing you mentioned, I think there's a code written on one of the ceilings on the way up towards it?

Hm, I'm not seeing the code on any ceilings near the
flamethrower
. I know I could just look up the code itself, but I really want to know how people found it.

This is driving me insane. I've googled countless different things but no one has documented how they found the code. Is everyone that is using it just getting it off the internet!? WHERE IS IT!!!!

Megasoum

Banned
Game is amazeballs... but im pretty much completely stuck now. Ive re-explored the entire map at least twice trying to find the next powerup i need.

Im not ready to give up yet and ask, but im taking a couple days off and playing other stuff. Im sure when i return it will just click. It usually happens like that.

Just a guess?

Seventy70

What's the thing with the icon that looks like a wifi symbol rotated to the left on TapTap's map for Kur? I'm not sure if I have that.

bede-x

Hm, I'm not seeing the code on any ceilings near the
flamethrower
. I know I could just look up the code itself, but I really want to know how people found it.

This is driving me insane. I've googled countless different things but no one has documented how they found the code. Is everyone that is using it just getting it off the internet!? WHERE IS IT!!!!

The code to the flamethrower is not in the ceiling. It's in one of the notes (Proverb if I remember correctly).

The one in the ceiling is not to the flamethrower, but the... Orbital something or other. It's in the bottom left of Eribu. Just took a picture of it:

http://imgur.com/s6qxCHU

Yes, you need to translate it yourself by learning the letters through your notes.

PaulloDEC

Thanks PaulloDEC.

The ending
seemed to hint at a sequel. I want 16-bits style Super Axiom Verge into my veins.

I was thinking earlier how cool it'd be to have a sequel move the visuals up from NES.5 to SNES.5. Axiom Verge 2 that looks and sounds like Symphony of the Night? Yes please.

Seventy70

Just got 100%. I'm kind of disappointed this game doesn't have a new game +. Otherwise, I would go for the Platinum, but I really can't imagine myself running through the game 2 more times.

ThisOne

Just beat it. Final time was just under 10 hours. 93% map completion. 68% of items. 51 deaths. I guess I kinda sped my way through it. Great game. Might replay it again in a couple months. The final boss was a pain. I had to sort of cheese him to be able to finish without throwing my controller through the wall.

PaulloDEC

The one in the ceiling is not to the flamethrower, but the... Orbital something or other. It's in the bottom left of Eribu. Just took a picture of it:

http://imgur.com/s6qxCHU

Yes, you need to translate it yourself by learning the letters through your notes.

Ah, that'd be it. So many items in this game, hard to keep track of it all!

I mentioned it already, but the developer already tweeted that a sequel was likely.

That's awesome news. Hopefully he's making enough money on Axiom to hire some extra talent for the sequel; five years is too long to be working on a game alone.

Megasoum

Banned
wow. I'm surprised that's a spot anyone got stuck. I shoot the disrupter at everything.

The problem for me was that I never thought I could teleport through a solid beam (which is not technically a wall...lol).

Also I would have never guess that I could corrupt the pink water. Also, for what I've seen this is the only pink water you can actually corrupt which is complete bullshit.

Alright so I have the
teleport-drone
ability and I can't figure out where to go next. I'm getting a little aggravated now. I kind of wish... No, I wish there was a better fast travel system because the head thing is not good enough.

Schlep

Alright so I have the
teleport-drone
ability and I can't figure out where to go next. I'm getting a little aggravated now. I kind of wish... No, I wish there was a better fast travel system because the head thing is not good enough.

Where did you get that?

Chitown B

Alright so I have the
teleport-drone

it's really not. it sucks as "fast travel"

so, wtf is up with the bugs in Edin that can go through ALL WALLS??? How is everyone killing them without getting super swarmed? You can't get close enough to shoot them without getting hit.

Number45

What's everyone's favorite gun? I use the short range electric shotgun thing the most, myself. Forget what it's called.
Yup, where I am so far I use Kivler maybe 70% of the time switching to the nova when I need to shoot around corners and the standard disrupter if I need a bit of range.

SerTapTap

To anyone who's beaten the game (or spoiled themselves with the soundtrack), what's your favorite tracks? Mine are Trace Rising, Apocalypse, Occlusion Lens, Cellular Skies (OMG the first time you hear this), Without Place and
Trace Reborn
. I can't really say there's any I dislike though. I even love the pre-boss room ambience and the ambience in Indi (reminds me a ton of item room music in Super Metroid BTW).

I really like that one too. I can't imagine using anything else on the final boss with the way that fight works.

There are several guns that work great on the boss

That is correct. Got past that, played a little more, called it quits.

Well...that's your problem. You've missed out on the majority of unique content in the game and everything that isn't "the same cave"

Just got 100%. I'm kind of disappointed this game doesn't have a new game +. Otherwise, I would go for the Platinum, but I really can't imagine myself running through the game 2 more times.

Second playthroughs are pretty quick. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten <4 hours in my low% run if I knew the gameclock counted up while paused/at the homescreen and planned out a bit better (boss/item spoilers:
grabbing the lightning fun for the hornet and flamethrower for the final boss would probably have been worth it, died like 20 times to each
). Depends on skill/knowledge of course, but your playtime will be WAY under the first playthrough no matter what you did.

Don't really think NG+ makes sense in a Metroidvania. Maybe keep your guns only and disable trophies would work.

The problem for me was that I never thought I could teleport through a solid beam (which is not technically a wall...lol).

Also I would have never guess that I could corrupt the pink water. Also, for what I've seen this is the only pink water you can actually corrupt which is complete bullshit.

You should have noticed that spot is glitchy. Glitchy = use Address Disruptor.

Alright so I have the
teleport-drone

There should be one big white arrow you havent' been able to reach yet.
Vague:
look high up in Kur
Specific:
go to the peak of Kur, jump, dash up then shoot your drone up and teleport to it to get into the big pyramid building

I don't see how a fast travel would really solve your problem. If you don't know where to go teleporting won't help you, you'll just miss out on all the stuff in between areas that might lead to a solution. Glad the game doesn't have fast travel. It'd make speedruns boring as fuck and would even break the early game.

Lategame gun spoilers:
Lightning Gun and Ion Beam are the coolest but not the most practical. Charged tether is sweet, heatseeker is my go-to. Shards and Distortion field are fun but not quite as good as semi-auto guns in most cases. Early on it's just Kilver and Disruptor though, they're pretty effective.

Ukkin-Na

wtf do you do with the floating robot/giant bug thing?

The one with a face where you had a bossfight? Shoot your drone at it.

Mesoian

thanks i'll try!

edit: yeah that didn't work.

this thing:

11059663_10152945632432039_8407860956120867419_o.jpg

ooooooooooooooh.

So you can miss this, huh?

Finished the game last night. The sub boss before the final boss was a great little piece of teaching through theming. Really enjoyed the game, though the one thing they could have added was transportation via save point rooms. That could have cut down on some of the monotony of traversing entire levels to experiment with new devices.

But yeah, 10/10. Would recommend.

Kilver is the best weapon. Lightning shotgun FTW.

SerTapTap

thanks i'll try!

edit: yeah that didn't work.

this thing

Shoot the egg directly into the mouth

ooooooooooooooh.

So you can miss this, huh?

Finished the game last night. The sub boss before the final boss was a great little piece of teaching through theming. Really enjoyed the game, though the one thing they could have added was transportation via save point rooms. That could have cut down on some of the monotony of traversing entire levels to experiment with new devices.

But yeah, 10/10. Would recommend.

Kilver is the best weapon. Lightning shotgun FTW.

Regarding the spoiler:
You can miss using the robot, but not the items it brings you do. With the best dash and enhanced launch you can just barely make it up there without it. Pretty neat to do it the right way though

Yeah I liked that bit before the last boss, and Trace's general allusions to being a reluctant combatant.

This missing item in Edin is killing me, I'm positive I've gotten everything on Sir Tap's map. Have to keep looking I guess.

Lighting gun is my favourite, and I also used Voranj for most of the game.

SerTapTap

weird. I tried that and it just bounced off.

I'm sure it can go in, not exactly sure the physics of it. Only did it once. If nothing else, you can do it later after getting all tools anyway. I rather like how getting more tools lets you bypass more tedious ways of getting around in the game, great for the sense of progression. Part of why I don't want fast travel in, you would miss out a lot if you never traversed an area more than once.

SerTapTap

Seriously wtf... The moment I set foot in Edin I die... Like 3-4 ennemies in max and I'll be dead... wtf

Hard Mode? This is part of the reason I don't recommend hard mode for a first playthrough. Gotta be super careful in Edin. Glitch enemies and bait them with the Kilver. Two shots should do it for those big-eye fly things on Hard, one on normal. Don't forget your
drone
has basically infinite HP if you stay away and shoot it in to bait enemies. Just jump around the flowers, you can't just back up and shoot, let them fly past you. Take your time and clear out what's in front of you or you can't run back.

Megasoum

Banned
Hard Mode? This is part of the reason I don't recommend hard mode for a first playthrough. Gotta be super careful in Edin. Glitch enemies and bait them with the Kilver. Don't forget your
drone
has basically infinite HP if you stay away and shoot it in to bait enemies.

Not even... I'm on normal.

Actually looks like I don't have what's needed to get through those glitched walls so maybe I'm just not supposed to be here yet.... Not sure where I should go though.

Top Bottom