• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Beat it.

Time: 15:38:10
Item: 90%
Map: 97%

Time to try to find the rest...

This is the only one I've found so far.

I like that you seem to be as thorough as I've been and have also only found the same single secret area as me.

If your Edin map looks the same as Sir TapTap's completed map and still shows it's not 100% complete I'd like to know since mine shows exactly the same as his 100% map complete and yet it says I'm still missing map and items there.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I like that you seem to be as thorough as I've been and have also only found the same single secret area as me.

If your Edin map looks the same as Sir TapTap's completed map and still shows it's not 100% complete I'd like to know since mine shows exactly the same as his 100% map complete and yet it says I'm still missing map and items there.

I'm sorry to report that my map looks like Sir TapTap's and I've now got 100% map and all the items in that region. I don't see any differences.

PaulloDEC

Oh god, 11hrs 35mins and my completion stats are still 41% Item and 59% Map.

My eyes already hurt from playing this bloody game so much.

I can't stop.

Send help.

Ambitious

I spent last night just backtracking after I found the
grappling hook..
..I found all kinds of stuff just trying to work my way back to the beginning...

I just looked at the map for each level, you can see areas that you haven't completed cause they will not have the solid line/ border around the room.... I went to each room and completed the map, sometimes I had to
shoot my droid at the ceilings
to completely fill in the map for a room.... Just that hitting the ceiling would fill in the dark borders for the room on the map...

Many rooms that have secret areas will not have the completed bold borders around the room on the map until you have entered the secret areas... That was one way I could tell there was a secret area I had missed..

I would also jump high in each save room, each save room is two blocks high... If you don't jump real high in them, you won't complete the 2 blocks on the map...

Well, I planned on getting 100% map completion anyway. But unfortunately, this doesn't guarantee finding all collectibles. For instance, once I accidentally found a health upgrade hidden behind some destructible bubbles on the ceiling. That was pure luck.

Dan

Found my second secret world: http://imgur.com/VXJvkxa (
Up the left tunnel in Indi
)

100% map, 98% items... still missing stuff in Eribu, Absu and E-Kur-Mah

What about INDI? Does anyone have the yellow dot for that?
I do. Re: Sir TapTap's map...
IIRC, he's missing a powerup in the very leftmost screen, with the exit into Eribu.
Are you possibly missing that?

Well, I planned on getting 100% map completion anyway. But unfortunately, this doesn't guarantee finding all collectibles. For instance, once I accidentally found a health upgrade hidden behind some destructible bubbles on the ceiling. That was pure luck.
This is why I feel like not having dots on the map (I mean he could have at least made it so you'd have to beat the game to get them or done something difficult... though for all we know there's a password that does it) is a huge detriment to the game. There are essentially things in the game you would never find unless you looked it up in a guide and I feel like that's a no-no when it comes to Metroidvanias. Oh well.
Are you possibly missing that?
Yup! Probably! Thanks!

And lastly, I have my EDIN map matching taptap's. No pink dot. :(

This is why I feel like not having dots on the map (I mean he could have at least made it so you'd have to beat the game to get them or done something difficult... though for all we know there's a password that does it) is a huge detriment to the game. There are essentially things in the game you would never find unless you looked it up in a guide and I feel like that's a no-no when it comes to Metroidvanias. Oh well.

Well, I've found there's typically a very small graphical reason that can hint at something hidden. There's one area that might be where the previous person is talking about that I decided to check if something was hidden because the rock tiles, while fitting the room, were gathered in a spot directly above two floating platforms in a long corridor. There was another in a wall that I first thought (and typed in here) that I thought was random but when I went back to the game it made sense considering it was a next to an otherwise completely unnecessary small floating platform up and out of the way. In pretty much every case it's a gathering of tiles or a gap that made me curious to see if it'd let me fit into the space.

I can't recall where every single thing was hidden but I seem to recall there's always some minor detail that hints that some exploring may be worth checking out. One of my favorite hidden things I found in Mar-Uru I stumbled upon by simply checking and being thorough but later when coming through the room again I noticed a small change in the tileset that suddenly made me aware that I was meant to look around.

And now I just remembered one in Mar-Uru that really had zero indication so I guess it's not all hinted at:
Where you dash left through the wall in a long corridor with two of the straight laser floating fellows. I don't recall anything indicating you can pass through the wall since it's the very edge of the screen (except MAYBE it could be argued the wall is made of a tileset that's obviously ended at three blocks? A bit of a stretch?)

Point is I don't think the design is really ever random but it may not be obvious how you would be expected to find some hidden things until afterwards and seeing if you can spot the hint in the world.

Skippy27

Neo Member
CBvo5LBW8AAQ-y1.jpg

I'm stuck in this room having just got the lab coat, I assume I'm supposed to teleport past the beams (I can't jump over) but I can't do it for some reason. What am I doing wrong?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think I'm nearing the end, and most of my maps appear to be filled out completely, but I'm still missing a lot of stuff. Is there any kind of reliable signal in the environment I can use to find the obviously well-hidden items I'm missing? I don't want to just go straight to a guide, but I also will not have a good time scouring every wall room by room.

Also, how many
secret world
areas are there? I've found 2, I think.

big_z

One of my secret areas was broken. I could get out of one of the rooms, had to save and quit to menu.

Still missing 5% of items and I've gone through tap taps map. The starting area I've explored 4 times and it still says in missing an item. Wtf! My only guess is there's a secret area connected there but the screen doesn't go staticy anywhere. I also have 100% map so I'm not sure of the secret areas count towards it.

Dan

One of my secret areas was broken. I could get out of one of the rooms, had to save and quit to menu.

Still missing 5% of items and I've gone through tap taps map. The starting area I've explored 4 times and it still says in missing an item. Wtf! My only guess is there's a secret area connected there but the screen doesn't go staticy anywhere. I also have 100% map so I'm not sure of the secret areas count towards it.

Yeah, I don't think the secret worlds count towards the yellow/pink dot statuses. I found one in Indi that had two items after having the yellow/pink dots there.

Also,
the secret worlds don't all involve the glitches. It seems many use the red coat dash for entry

bede-x

This is the only one I've found so far.

I just found a fifth so there's quite a few of them. I assume they count towards completion?

EDIT: Just saw Dan's post, so it seems they don't count as item/map stats. Then I'll probably not get 100% until a complete map is made, since those were the only ones I could imagine missing.

Number45

Is it possible to make this jump, with the augmented jump ability?

17030920811_73a5aa36b8_c.jpg

If not then I clearly need to move forward and not back, but I can't seem to find a way forward at the moment.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If not then I clearly need to move forward and not back, but I can't seem to find a way forward at the moment.

You're not the first to post exactly this screenshot and question. (And I got stuck there too.) You have to explore further into new territory before you can backtrack to the first couple of areas. I can't remember specifically what you should do, but hopefully the knowledge that there is another way to proceed will help.

Number45

You're not the first to post exactly this screenshot and question. (And I got stuck there too.) You have to explore further into new territory before you can backtrack to the first couple of areas. I can't remember specifically what you should do, but hopefully the knowledge that there is another way to proceed will help.
Yeah, that's enough for me thanks. Just wanted to make sure it's not that I have to hit that jump pixel perfect.

SerTapTap

If anyone recognizes this icon, could you please tell me where you found it in a spoiler block?
HIBqFdA.png

Item/secret spoilers:
It's the Heatseeker icon, and it comes from a secret area. For me it was in Mar Uru in Sentinel's room, but other people seem unable to find it at all in Mar Uru. I need to know where this secret area can be, to the tile on the map if possible

Yeah my map's still missing stuff, let me know exact locations and I can add stuff to the map, already got a couple more added but haven't uploaded it yet. Big thing is the secret areas since there's RNG involved. I need to know the possible entrances.

I'm saving a picture of this for the guide...yes you move forward. If the game "traps" you it's for a reason.

Well crap, I only got 1 item from the first one but 2 from the others. That despite filling in the map. Hrmmm...

Concerning the secret areas and their possible randomization, would someone like to check and see if they have this one?
On the ground between the left 2 doors in INDI is a spot you can sideways teleport into. You know you're close because the screen gets fuzzy.
Unless someone's already confirmed that the spots are/aren't random?

What was in that place? I thought those were always on the same map area, but perhaps not. I'm unsure if the rewards are random, but most importantly (item spoilers)
there is a gun in one of them that does not ever appear elsewhere

Dan

Found another powerup (health node fragment to be specific) in Absu missing from TapTap's current map that got me the yellow dot: http://imgur.com/ixKtECI

This earned me the 100% health item trophy, although I'm left with 2 health node fragments. I'm guessing the stuff found in secret worlds don't count towards that total to get the trophy, only the items on the core map.

It's not possible. You should proceed onwards.

Endo Punk

It's great that I can shoot diagonally and whilst standing, it seems minor but I skipped Mercenary Kings because you couldn't shoot diagonally. Axiom gets so much right, fantastic game.

SerTapTap

Found another powerup (health node fragment to be specific) in Absu missing from TapTap's current map that got me the yellow dot: http://imgur.com/ixKtECI

This earned me the 100% health item trophy, although I'm left with 2 health node fragments. I'm guessing the stuff found in secret worlds don't count towards that total to get the trophy, only the items on the core map.

Thanks, I'll add that too.

Yeah I've got 4 (annoyingly enough) small health nodes on my 100% file so that seems to be random.

It's great that I can shoot diagonally and whilst standing, it seems minor but I skipped Mercenary Kings because you couldn't shoot diagonally. Axiom gets so much right, fantastic game.

It's a design decision, I'm totally fine with no diagonal fire in Mercenary Kings. It's Mega Man style not Contra. I enjoy diagonal fire in this game but it all depends on how the guns and enemies are designed. This style is inherently more "fiddly", especially in Super Metroid, where the Mega Man style is extremely precise.

SerTapTap

Lol, seem to have trapped myself in an inescapable hole while trying to find the way forward. >_<

Right near the jump upgrade? Everyone seems to be finding that one...I think it's about the only one around, never found any others (or it). Just save and quit. Dev knows, should be patched soon

Mikey Jr.

Can anyone tell me what the colours on the map are for?

The blue ones seem to be save points. But the other colours? No idea.

Dan

Can anyone tell me what the colours on the map are for?

The blue ones seem to be save points. But the other colours? No idea.

Red are boss rooms. The darker blue rooms involve the rusalki.

SerTapTap

I just beat the fourth boss...got the
grappling hook
and
item that lets me shoot my drone further
. Is
E-Kur-Mah
the next area or do I need to backtrack somewhere else?

Still can't make it to that place. But you might notice being able to get to places you could before, and also some new other areas.

Yeah, and it's one guy who has this much talent. I'm just kind of in awe over the whole thing really. When I think Metroid, this game will probably be the first thing that comes to mind now honestly. So good. So so good.

It's all pretty insane.

I caved in and looked up the stuff in taptap's map to finish off my last 5%...

... and I kinda wish I hadn't. I think I would've found the rest this stuff had I done another patrol or two around the areas, with the exception of one incredibly absurd solution:

Glitching out the fast-shooting final robot enemies makes it so you can carry them to a different screen, which solves the 4 pink beam puzzle. The fact that the glitch gun already has a helpful effect on them makes it even more obtuse.

Everything else was cleverly and fairly hidden imo. Game has a distinct Fez influence in it (intentional or not), which was a really pleasant surprise.

I dunno, I was told about one of those passcodes and I didn't notice it for minutes. The one with the 4 laser walls? By that time you're pretty blind to the area that appears. And the glitch in Mar Uru is pretty intense, I only found it after finding a REAL glitch that let me in. It's unfortunate that the
flamethrower
note is hidden in what is also an extremely hard to find secret, otherwise it would seem a lot more reasonable IMO.

Quick question: Are there ever critical items in the
glitchy secret
areas? They seem pretty dang tough, and I'm not sure I want to be doing them just for tiny upgrade items.

EDIT: Actually, any hints going forward would be great too. I've still only killed three bosses. I've got the
lab coat, I'm up to six weapons, and I've recently got the Level 2 Address Disrupter, the Passcode Tool and the Remote Drone
. I'm at the point where you seemingly can't get back into the earlier zones without a more powerful jump (
that is, a jump more powerful than the upgraded jump
). I've found a greeny-blue outdoor area that leads to the left with impassable glitches and a rocky outdoor area towards the top of the map that I can't find any further ways to progress through.

Any help would be appreciated!

Not going through them would be a shame, but Speedrun mode removes them entirely so...no they're optional. One has a gun though. IMO totally go through them.

And you need to explore more of Kur. Surprised everyone seems to be missing That One Item. I'll have to poke around and see why it's so missible. Going to make a more step-by-step spoiler free walkthrough soon but this is kinda already more work than I bargained for.

i don't think I have that one or maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

...holy shit not a single one of these is where any of the ones I've found are. There are only 4 that I'm aware of. Marking them on the map is seeming less possible, though I found one in the same exact spot in two playthroughs.

I wonder if mine glitched, no pun intended. Odd.

My map isn't complete, says so right above the map. 100% is totally possible, I have it as do others

Endo Punk

Thanks, I'll add that too.

It's a design decision, I'm totally fine with no diagonal fire in Mercenary Kings. It's Mega Man style not Contra. I enjoy diagonal fire in this game but it all depends on how the guns and enemies are designed. This style is inherently more "fiddly", especially in Super Metroid, where the Mega Man style is extremely precise.

Yeah I'm sure it is and I'm glad they went with the decision. No diagonal shooting just bothers me a lot.

SerTapTap

Map updated again, I put the all known locations of (secret spoilers)
secret worlds but I'm thinking you just have to keep an eye out on your own for those. A wide variety of possible locations, they aren't even always in the same map, and at least one is hidden near a very easy to miss secret.
A few more items marked, but I know there's some missing. I'll poke around in my low% save file and also try out that cheat?code. Really wish this game had more than 3 save files. I already had to back up my Hard mode complete file and I need to do that with my low% file once I'm done rooting through it for missed items.

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm bummed the Vita version isn't out yet. Vita's dpad has spoiled me and Metroidvanias are perfect fit for Vita anyway.

bede-x

I'm still missing items in Eribu. I feel like I have everything on TapTap's map, but can't be 100% certain. Any suggestions?

My map isn't complete, says so right above the map. 100% is totally possible, I have it as do others

Isn't your map 100% map complete? Not item complete but with all rooms found? That's what I'm referring to. I don't have the yellow or pink dot in Edin yet my map is filled out the same as yours.

SerTapTap

I don't see anything that cheat code is doing, it may just give the warning but not activate the code if it isn't exactly right?

Isn't your map 100% map complete? Not item complete but with all rooms found? That's what I'm referring to. I don't have the yellow or pink dot in Edin yet my map is filled out the same as yours.

Oh, the map is 100% compelte yes. Are you certain it's complete? There are several fake walls that look complete until you go past them yourself, most notable above and to the left of the rightmost bossroom. I'm sure that map is complete. Maybe try grazing the walls in that big room under the hornet? I was wondering if there were out of bounds map % ticks a la SOTN but I don't think so (I've fallen off the map due to a fixed bug and it didn't bring me over 100%)

I'm still missing items in Eribu. I feel like I have everything on TapTap's map, but can't be 100% certain. Any suggestions?
I've updated it a couple more times, check again I guess, might still not be 100% though

I just found a fifth location - still on the same save -
in Indi.

Good lord there's over a dozen of these. There's also a possible one to the far left of Indi...I can't even find how to get in. Some are far meaner than others and some seem to show their "hint" at a wider distance.
Wait, 5 in one save? Crazy. Starting to wonder if the count is random? I've explored the whole map and only recall 4 on my 100% file, could be misremembering though.

daevv

Played it for a few hours lastnight and again early this morning. I've defeated 3 bosses so far and found a secret area but I want to keep playing. It brings back memories of the first time I played Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night those decades ago.

Was gutted this morning when I went to download it to my Vita before going to work and found out its not out yet. :)

Number45

Right near the jump upgrade? Everyone seems to be finding that one...I think it's about the only one around, never found any others (or it). Just save and quit. Dev knows, should be patched soon
That's the one. :)

I'm through anyway, and making good progress. I now seem to be
playing Bionic Commando
. :D

Was gutted this morning when I went to download it to my Vita before going to work and found out its not out yet. :)
Yup. I'll at least complete it on PS4 - but to be able to give it the time to go for 100% (or speed runs) I'll wait for the Vita version.

Nirran

Quick question how many notes is there suppose to be in the game?
I have 27 and I've looked at guides and even a youtube video and I have all they show but no trophey yet. It's all I'm missing for a 100% I'm guessing my missing one is in Edin as I'm missing the yellow dot but I've checked all the locations. Any hard to find ones here?

katagai

Don't suppose someone remembers the name of and/or exact location of the note in
E-KUR-MAH in the room where you get the sudran key? (room with all the blocks I believe)

I've accounted for every item on the map besides that one and can't seen to figure out what item(s) I'm missing for 100% in this area.

yatesl

Just got m
orph ball
equivalent.

I take it this game doesn't highlight leftover items when you complete it?

I'll never get 100%.

bede-x

I've accounted for every item on the map besides that one and can't seen to figure out what item(s) I'm missing for 100% in this area.

The last item I got in E-Kur-Mah was in the bottom right corner of the room where you use the code. It's a little tricky since you have to first smash som blocks with upward dash and the throw the drone into a small tunnel. Don't suppose that's the one you're missing?

MMaRsu

This is up there with Super Metroid and Symphony and if there's any justice in the world, this'll be a massive hit. Some years from now we'll hopefully get a sequel, but until then I'll settle for double dipping on Steam later to support the developer.

Just bought this cause of this post. I hope you are right in that its as good as Symphony. One of my fav games ever.

katagai

The last item I got in E-Kur-Mah was in the bottom right corner of the room where you use the code. It's a little tricky since you have to first smash som blocks with upward dash and the throw the drone into a small tunnel. Don't suppose that's the one you're missing?

Nope, already got that one :\

Do the items in a secret area count towards the item % for the area it was found in?

Top Bottom