• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

SerTapTap

Listening to the OST on my new Sennheiser HD 598s, so good.

Grimløck;158475775 said:
what is this?
Sequence Breaking is simply breaking the intended sequence of items/areas bosses.

Game is not going to hold your hand, no. Also if you want to quit anywhere, just use the suspend/resume feature on the PS4.

If you select quit ingame it offers to save (but you restart in a save room of course), but yeah suspend/resume works too.

Just beat the Ukhu boss and wow that was hard. You have little to no time to dodge any of his hits.
The drone teleport is awesome though! Going back to the beginning of the game to explore everything with all of these new abilities finally.
Yeah that boss can be rough--best weapons are probably
Vornaj or Shards

hawk2025

I... think I'm sequence-breaking without intending to.

Should the purple shots somehow make it through the purple shields? It seems like it shouldn't because it's not an easy to replicate thing, only works something like 20% of the time.

Anyone knows?

SerTapTap

I... think I'm sequence-breaking without intending to.

Should the purple shots somehow make it through the purple shields? It seems like it shouldn't because it's not an easy to replicate thing, only works something like 20% of the time.

Anyone knows?

Purple shots? What gun? But yes, the collision for certain weapons is a teeny bit wonky and they'll warp through laser gates--it's useful in a few places but I don't recall it causing anything I'd call a real sequence break (letting you progress the MAIN unlocks). It works 100% of the time but only at certain pixel distances with certain guns.

Tom confirmed it's a bug that was left in because it was cool and harmless.

hawk2025

Purple shots? What gun? But yes, the collision for certain weapons is a teeny bit wonky and they'll warp through laser gates--it's useful in a few places but I don't recall it causing anything I'd call a real sequence break (letting you progress the MAIN unlocks). It works 100% of the time but only at certain pixel distances with certain guns.

Tom confirmed it's a bug that was left in because it was cool and harmless.

Sorry, I'll try to be more precise :p

I mean the second gun you get, the one that "explodes" on command, and that the game teaches you to use to hit the red spheres and open the pink gates.

What I'm seeing is that I can actually shoot the shot *through* the shield sometimes, and open up the gate from what I imagine is not the right side to do so. Does that make more sense?

SerTapTap

Sorry, I'll try to be more precise :p

I mean the second gun you get, the one that "explodes" on command, and that the game teaches you to use to hit the red spheres and open the pink gates.

What I'm seeing is that I can actually shoot the shot *through* the shield sometimes, and open up the gate from what I imagine is not the right side to do so. Does that make more sense?

Oh, Nova! Yeah, you can occasionally do that...hm now that you mention it I think you can skip at least one gun using that...not a super exciting skip though. I'll have to try it though

hawk2025

Oh, Nova! Yeah, you can occasionally do that...hm now that you mention it I think you can skip at least one gun using that...not a super exciting skip though. I'll have to try it though

Cool, interesting :)

Man, I'm loving this game. I just made it to... I don't even want to type it here because it's not really a spoiler, but just the experience of getting there is so unique. What the hell is going on.

ThisOne

Game is fun but I just had my second freeze in about an hour of playtime. This time it froze when I walked through a doorway.

SerTapTap

Is there a good guide for secret areas? There's one specific area I'm having a hard time getting to in Edin.
I made a guide but dont' have the specifics on how to get items, just their locations on the map, how to use items, some passcodes and some general hints. I made it initially for myself for speedruns/100% not first time play. If you describe the area in a spoiler block I'll probably recall it. Educated guess:
is it a purple syringe? you need multiple items for that, some which might be spoilers

I just beat it with the
lightning weapon that locks on.
Worked well, means you can just focus on dodging.

That works? I think I didn't have it the first time and just assumed it wouldn't work later on due to "armor". I haven't fought all bosses with all possible weapons yet so I might not know the best strats. That one I definitely have the second most trouble with.

Seventy70

I made a guide but dont' have the specifics on how to get items, just their locations on the map, how to use items, some passcodes and some general hints. I made it initially for myself for speedruns/100% not first time play. If you describe the area in a spoiler block I'll probably recall it. Educated guess:
is it a purple syringe? you need multiple items for that, some which might be spoilers
On your map for Edin starting all the way from the bottom right. 3 up and 7 to the left right above the blue area.

SerTapTap

On your map for Edin starting all the way from the bottom right. 3 up and 7 to the left right above the blue area.

Have you entered the blue area? If you have what's in there you can reach that I think. There's just
a boring old false wall, IIRC? Might need to tele-dash into it but I don't recall it being hard. But you need a glitch bomb to get up on that level

Seventy70

Have you entered the blue area? If you have what's in there you can reach that I think. There's just
a boring old false wall, IIRC? Might need to tele-dash into it but I don't recall it being hard. But you need a glitch bomb to get up on that level

I can't find anything in the blue area. On your map there is a purple outline around the block, so I think that means you can only get to it from inside the room that it's connected to right above the blue area.

The hidden areas in this game are a real pain.

Mesoian

Ah, I went thinking that this game was out on PC already. Then I realized it's only on PS4, and the fucked nature of the playstation store means I need to wait until later to get a PSN card to add money to my account.

That sucks.

NM, I got it. Why is the PSN store so terrible?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Ah, I went thinking that this game was out on PC already. Then I realized it's only on PS4, and the fucked nature of the playstation store means I need to wait until later to get a PSN card to add money to my account.

That sucks.

Use the webstore.

Nirran

Figured I might ask in here as I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
in e-kur-mah at the bottom you have a long 3x6 I got the third lab coat but can't get in this hidden area. I checked the link above thinking it might be from another area but nope. http://imgur.com/J0PN809 I've tried from the bottom, top, sides. Nothing works at all.

heybrian

Neo Member
Can anyone who has beaten the game offer some advice?. Location/Powerup spoiler warnings below.

So I'm in the secret area on the part of the map when you first get outside (with the turtle creature things) and I walked to the left wall and drilled through the wall to get into the secret area. I have the labcoat and high jump, but it seems I can no longer exit the area as the jumps are just slightly out of reach. Do I need to die and reset at a checkpoint, or am I missing something? I have this problem both progressing and going backwards, as both areas have the same floor format and they both seem out of reach with my current abilities.

Mikey Jr.

That sucks.

You don't even explain whats wrong, then you ask us why its terrible.

Ok.............

mr stroke

This game is pretty cool so far(music is awesome)

Just really wish they went with 16bit graphics vs 8bit. 8bit looks pretty lousy on a big TV :\

SerTapTap

Figured I might ask in here as I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure this out.
in e-kur-mah at the bottom you have a long 3x6 I got the third lab coat but can't get in this hidden area. I checked the link above thinking it might be from another area but nope. http://imgur.com/J0PN809 I've tried from the bottom, top, sides. Nothing works at all.

Glitch gun some enemies. Something interesting might happen in that immediate area...

Can anyone who has beaten the game offer some advice?. Location/Powerup spoiler warnings below.

So I'm in the secret area on the part of the map when you first get outside (with the turtle creature things) and I walked to the left wall and drilled through the wall to get into the secret area. I have the labcoat and high jump, but it seems I can no longer exit the area as the jumps are just slightly out of reach. Do I need to die and reset at a checkpoint, or am I missing something? I have this problem both progressing and going backwards, as both areas have the same floor format and they both seem out of reach with my current abilities.

I think I know where you are. I think you are missing something to your immediate right outside the secret area. With the exception of one confirmed glitch you should not be stuck, but when you find a new power up you are usually trapped until you get and learn to use it. Unless you're stuck IN the secret world, that shouldn't happen but I dunno. They're RNG I think so maybe something weird happened.

I can't find anything in the blue area. On your map there is a purple outline around the block, so I think that means you can only get to it from inside the room that it's connected to right above the blue area.

The hidden areas in this game are a real pain.

Wait, are you trying to get IN the blue area, not the health/power node up/right of that? I'm not sure we're talking about the same stuff. Yes, you get in the blue area from above the first time. If you went through Ukkin Na you should have found the item you need to get above.

Every time I think I'm stuck I realized I'm just dumb.

No offense but yes this is usually the case, at least for story-wise stuff. THere are a few optional secrets that are pretty hardcore but I still feel stupid for missing them

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I've beaten two bosses so far and this game is awesome. Too bad Nintendo can't make anything like this anymore. I'm loving that story too. Totally expecting an emotional corrupted AI betrayal boss fight near the end.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This game is pretty cool so far(music is awesome)

Just really wish they went with 16bit graphics vs 8bit. 8bit looks pretty lousy on a big TV :\

Totally disagree. I think it looks wonderful on my 50 inch plasma. It's beautiful abstracted art with a restrained color palette.

heybrian

Neo Member
I think I know where you are. I think you are missing something to your immediate right outside the secret area. With the exception of one confirmed glitch you should not be stuck, but when you find a new power up you are usually trapped until you get and learn to use it.

Yeah, I've found one area I'm like 90% sure I couldn't do anything in, so I guess I'll have to play it cool with the powers until I know actually where I'm supposed to be using these powers.

SerTapTap

Yeah, I've found one area I'm like 90% sure I couldn't do anything in, so I guess I'll have to play it cool with the powers until I know actually where I'm supposed to be using these powers.

I'm not saying don't explore...if you fell down a long white and grey cliff and can't jump back up, I think you need to look to your right and up a bit. IT's very important to notice tile patterns in this game and remember not everything is a wall, and some walls can be drilled.

Totally disagree. I think it looks wonderful on my 50 inch plasma. It's beautiful abstracted art with a restrained color palette.

I sat down immediately in front on my 42" a few times just to drink it all in. That moment when you reach the top part of Kur...Edin...that first run through Ukkin Na. Crazy beautiful shit. The first (area spoiler)
secret world
you find too, holy shit.

Kyuur

Post 3rd Boss / Pre 4th Item/Gameplay Spoilers!

Completing that 'stealth' section with the Drone to get Voranj and the English note was the most intense shit. Drone is even better than a morph ball :D

heybrian

Neo Member
I'm not saying don't explore...if you fell down a long white and grey cliff and can't jump back up, I think you need to look to your right and up a bit. IT's very important to notice tile patterns in this game and remember not everything is a wall, and some walls can be drilled.

Oh trust me, my instinct as soon as I'm in those situations is to blast everything with the glitch gun and drill, but nothing was happening there, I think I needed more upgrades or something. It just seems I need to be ready to save and quit if I go too far in a direction without finding all the stuff they want me to have on the way.

SerTapTap

Oh trust me, my instinct as soon as I'm in those situations is to blast everything with the glitch gun and drill, but nothing was happening there, I think I needed more upgrades or something. It just seems I need to be ready to save and quit if I go too far in a direction without finding all the stuff they want me to have on the way.

Item spoiler:
Do you have the Drone? If not maybe you can't get it...I thought you had to have the drone to get there anyway. Could be wrong or you could be somewhere totally different...the thing is secret worlds can be in different spots so maybe I'm wrong about where you got stuck

Post 3rd Boss / Pre 4th Item/Gameplay Spoilers!

Completing that 'stealth' section with the Drone to get Voranj and the English note was the most intense shit. Drone is even better than a morph ball :D

Oh yeah, that was intense. That item is SO GOOD.

mr stroke

Really ?

I understand the 8bit nostalgia look they are going for, but why go with a pixelated look when most people will be playing on a big screen? It doesn't look bad, just a bit jarring. 16 bit would look sooooo much cleaner :(

Nirran

Figured out what I needed to do. Actually required a passcode. Anyone noticing the passcode for the 4 lasers broke? I've tried restarting the game and everything. The code does nothing even deactivating and reactivating.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Really ?

I understand the 8bit nostalgia look they are going for, but why go with a pixelated look when most people will be playing on a big screen? It doesn't look bad, just a bit jarring. 16 bit would look sooooo much cleaner :(
I think screen size is irrelevant. It's not like you're not supposed to see individual pixels- on the contrary you are meant to see that they are made of individual blocks. If anything a large screen emphasizes that it's retro styled rather than just a sprite game with low res art.

But then again I have an upscaler for old consoles so I play old games on my plasma all the time. Old sprite games look wonderful on big HDTVs... It's just that they often upscale poorly because of the cheap scalers inside TVs. Not a problem for a 1080p output sprite-based game like Axiom Verge.

If you think it looks bad on a big TV... I'd say it's more that you just don't like old sprite style for what it is.... Which is fine. Tastes and all that.

Kyuur

Just beat the fourth boss
Gir-Tab
. Tip if anyone is having problems with him:
Find the Hypo-Atomizer weapon if you haven't already. Allows you to hit him constantly and focus on dodging instead of having to worry about detonating Nova. Also, you can duck below all shots except the lower ones.

nynt9

I'm stuck, help! I have
Axiom Disruptor, Nova, Multi-Disruptor, Kilver, Hypo-Atomizer, Voranj. Field Disruptor, Lab Coat, Bioflux Accelerator, Password, Laser Drill, Remote Drone, Address Disruptor 2.
. I'm in
Zi
and
Kur
but I can't get out of either area. Help!

SerTapTap

Oh, BTW, the item you use with Triangle? It can be aimed like any other shot, and pressing triangle will deploy it faster. I noticed someone get stuck because they didn't notice they could aim it. There's actually a fair bit of skill in handling it right.

Figured out what I needed to do. Actually required a passcode. Anyone noticing the passcode for the 4 lasers broke? I've tried restarting the game and everything. The code does nothing even deactivating and reactivating.

IN Eribu? You actually have to enter that in the room you FIND the passcode in, the one up/right from the 4 lasers. If you found that in my guide, sorry that was probably unclear

Just beat the fourth boss
Gir-Tab
. Tip if anyone is having problems with him:
Find the Hypo-Atomizer weapon if you haven't already. Allows you to hit him constantly and focus on dodging instead of having to worry about detonating Nova. Also, you can duck below all shots except the lower ones.

You can just bum rush that boss with
Kilver
I think, not sure the bare minimum of health/damage ups to make it viable. I haven't tried it but a friend found that out.

I'm stuck, help! I have
Axiom Disruptor, Nova, Multi-Disruptor, Kilver, Hypo-Atomizer, Voranj. Field Disruptor, Lab Coat, Bioflux Accelerator, Password, Laser Drill, Remote Drone, Address Disruptor 2.
. I'm in
Zi
and
Kur
but I can't get out of either area. Help!

I don't think you are using
Address Disruptor 2
enough. Progress spoiler:
If nothing else, use it on one of the white arrow doors in Kur near the entrance to the surface
. Story spoiler:
you must have activated the repair drones, right?

Also there's an item that's optional in upper right Kur that will let you explore more right away. I think you can actually go back with your current gear...could be wrong.

nynt9

Oh, BTW, the item you use with Triangle? It can be aimed like any other shot, and pressing triangle will deploy it faster. I noticed someone get stuck because they didn't notice they could aim it. There's actually a fair bit of skill in handling it right.

IN Eribu? You actually have to enter that in the room you FIND the passcode in, the one up/right from the 4 lasers. If you found that in my guide, sorry that was probably unclear

You can just bum rush that boss with
Kilver
I think, not sure the bare minimum of health/damage ups to make it viable. I haven't tried it but a friend found that out.

I don't think you are using
Address Disruptor 2
enough. Progress spoiler:
If nothing else, use it on one of the white arrow doors in Kur near the entrance to the surface
. Story spoiler:
you must have activated the repair drones, right?

I have not! I can't find them?

Apt101

I just defeated the first boss, then ran around going all of the places I could find that was drillable. Lost. Any guidance on where to go next?

Fantastic game BTW. The developer expertly captured a platforming feel that many, games have tried to emulate since the SNES days and failed to do so. Edit: well, aside from Symphony of the Night

Vire

Everytime I see the this thread on the front page, I finish the title in my head "and then you die..".

I need to buy this game. Seems like the impressions have been really good so far on GAF. :)

heybrian

Neo Member
Item spoiler:
Do you have the Drone? If not maybe you can't get it...I thought you had to have the drone to get there anyway. Could be wrong or you could be somewhere totally different...the thing is secret worlds can be in different spots so maybe I'm wrong about where you got stuck

You know after I restarted I went in the other direction and found the drone, which lead to the
Glitch gun upgrade
which was the way to get through that zone. I think that was just me being hardheaded about where to go :p

heybrian

Neo Member
I'm only about an hour and a half into the game and am exploring the
glitch area, can't remember the name
and fell into this hole and don't think I have a way out any ideas or should I exit the game? I have the
glitch gun & drill

(I'm on the left side)
https://twitter.com/rbanke/status/583463978329886720

I don't really see you in that picture, but I've noticed a few areas with problems with that powerup. Or rather, areas where you can get in but doesn't have a way out. I'd restart and start searchin around for more items and come back to it, should be a lot easier then anyway

Seventy70

Near end spoilers:
I'm stuck on the sub-boss before the final boss. The one that shoots out lots of tracking bullets. I always lose so much health going from the save point to the sub-boss.

The platinum for this game is looking tough. It will probably be a while before someone has a video up with all of the secret locations. They are really hard to find just by guessing.

I started playing last night/late evening. Had to quickly turn the volume down because of that bass...I must have waken the neighbours in the apartment below. So far I have
killed two bosses, met the lady and gotten the clitch gun.
Been great fun. I started on normal and so far it feels like an okay challenge, a few deaths here and there, but nothing has felt particularly difficult. I think I still could restart on hard, what's the consensus?

What's up with the sideburns though? Like, why?

Kyuur

So I'm in Edin, after getting the
Trenchcoat
. I've gotten both
translation packs and found Axiom 1
. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to go without getting
another upgrade for the Distrupter
. In a room with a bunch of worms, there's is a platform that shoots up in the top right but doesn't quite make it to a platform. :/ Dunno where else to go. Back to Kur? I don't remember anywhere I could use my latest item there.

Edit: Just remember I had a
Drone
. Derp!
Double Edit: Nevermind, there's a
save/boss room right there. Drone isn't the way. :/

Sidenote (Story Spoiler):
The hallucination bit was awesome. Is it possible to "win" there? Also loving the logs, these bastards think they can play me! :p

I think I still could restart on hard, what's the consensus?

Hard is ridiculously hard. Incredibly low health pickup drop rate and restore rate means you can hardly afford to get hit and some enemies are just a pain to try and avoid. Bosses would probably be the easiest part of a hard run, I think. Do-able, but probably a slog. I switched over to normal from hard and am enjoying the game much more.

Mesoian

Use the webstore.

Yeah, that's what I did. Entered my CC info, bought the game, then deleted my CC info.

Super silly that THIS is the way you have to do it but...here we are.

Got up to the very top level, found a big rock structure with a door in it but I couldn't reach it or figure out how to open it, so I decided to stop there. Game is REALLY good thus far.

Hard is ridiculously hard. Incredibly low health pickup drop rate and restore rate means you can hardly afford to get hit and some enemies are just a pain to try and avoid. Bosses would probably be the easiest part of a hard run, I think. Do-able, but probably a slog. I switched over to normal from hard and am enjoying the game much more.

Okay, thanks. I think I'll stick with normal then. I don't need another rage inducer game in my life right now.

sjt333

I need some help regarding the
Hornet boss.
I have the following weapons
Lightning gun, Voranj, inertial pulse, hypo-atomizer, firewall, kilver multi-disrupter and nova.

Is there a damage reduction upgrade somewhere that I have missed? I have 8 health upgrades but am getting wrecked by everything in Edin

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Yeah, that's what I did. Entered my CC info, bought the game, then deleted my CC info.

Super silly that THIS is the way you have to do it but...here we are.

Got up to the very top level, found a big rock structure with a door in it but I couldn't reach it or figure out how to open it, so I decided to stop there. Game is REALLY good thus far.

Remember the days when you had to call MS to remove your credit card? That shit was dumb.

Top Bottom