• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

PaulloDEC

It's
that unexplored area to the right/down of the save area in Absu. There shouldn't be anything preventing you from going up there.

Thanks, found it!

I'm stuck at this same point as well. I went all the way back through all the beginning areas thinking one of the new abilities would let me pass but I don't see anywhere I can get through.

If it helps, can you remember coming across
a silent room with platforms leading upwards and piles of bones everywhere
? That's where you need to be.

Chitown B

OK I just got the item that I was probably missing. However in the area I get it, there is some energy that is impossible to get. The item sucks really bad. My first complaint about the game. The mechanics of the
grappling hook are awful. If you swing back and forth, you carry zero momentum and just fall. If you jump off the swing, it does the same. the only way for it to work it pressing forward once and jumping off.

ok, I figured it out. This game does a good job of making you think it's the game's fault when really you're just not thinking outside the box enough. lol

Chitown B

There's an orb on the very top right that is impossible to get at that point (to my knowledge), but there is a 1/5th one in the wall that you can get.

I figured it out.
Grapple UP and then glitch through the wall above it, and walk over/around.

I will say it's really hard to see when walls are hollow.

It's in a note. It's a little vague but it makes sense once you've seen the item. Unfortunately the notes is in a very hard to get secret in Mar Uru.

Ah, okay. Well, decided I'd just finish things up and didn't end up getting the note on the way. Must be very well hidden.

Final stats:

Difficulty: Normal
Time: 11:54.23:41 (really aiming for the game to be done by speed runners with such an exact time kept, eh?)
Items: 87%
Map: 98%
Death Count: 20

I do appreciate the map gets marked in each area when it's item complete and map complete. It at least helps a little in whittling down the options of where to search for stuff but the hidden stuff almost goes back to original The Legend of Zelda levels of hiding things where you just beat your head repeatedly against every wall trying to get through and drill everything or use a number of other abilities. To be honest even those generally are well designed because after I surprise myself by finding a secret I then notice a small detail that hints that something was amiss that I hadn't picked up on until after I found the secret by brute forcing it.

There's a few areas I simply dreaded passing through (mainly the big brown one with gassy guys and boulders). They weren't difficult but they're large and tedious to get through. So the idea of scouring those spots for secrets to finish up on map and items sounds dreadful. At the same time I don't want to look up much more in a guide because the only thing I saw when looking stuff up was the code for the four laser wall and the code I asked about previously that I've kept from using until I get the note naturally.

Pretty cool game and very creative. It feels extremely well designed for being done by a single person.

SerTapTap

There's a few areas I simply dreaded passing through (mainly the big brown one with gassy guys and boulders). They weren't difficult but they're large and tedious to get through. So the idea of scouring those spots for secrets to finish up on map and items sounds dreadful. At the same time I don't want to look up much more in a guide because the only thing I saw when looking stuff up was the code for the four laser wall and the code I asked about previously that I've kept from using until I get the note naturally.

Pretty cool game and very creative. It feels extremely well designed for being done by a single person.

A couple secrets are a bit too well hidden or at least very easy to miss, mostly only in Eribu. I had 3 secrets left over there, and one in Mar Uru I was stuck on for a long time but managed to get in. All the other areas are pretty easy.

I don't really think those areas are problems though. Item spoilers
Glitch gun 2 renders the turtles vulnerable to normal fire, and the drone launch + teleport and red coat mean you can just fly right past basically anything outside of Mar Uru. Gives a great sense of improvement

Brydo0

Neo Member
Question!
Whereabouts do you find the password tool? I'm currently in E-Kur -Mah and am at a loss to progress, saw above the explanation of figuring out the password, but I've yet to come across the tool.

A couple secrets are a bit too well hidden or at least very easy to miss, mostly only in Eribu. I had 3 secrets left over there, and one in Mar Uru I was stuck on for a long time but managed to get in. All the other areas are pretty easy.

I don't really think those areas are problems though. Item spoilers
Glitch gun 2 renders the turtles vulnerable to normal fire, and the drone launch + teleport and red coat mean you can just fly right past basically anything outside of Mar Uru. Gives a great sense of improvement

I'll just spoiler the whole thing instead of slipping in and out of spoilers:

I knew about the glitch gun with the turtles right away. I'm now curious which enemy I didn't use the glitch gun on since I didn't get that trophy. Do the drones on the last fight count?

And is there any change if you don't kill that sub-boss before the last boss where Trace comments he could just run past? I killed it and was annoyed nothing seemed to come from doing so since that was responsible for around five of my twenty deaths.

I just need to go back through each room since getting all the tools as I didn't return to everywhere to try to clean up on items after getting the red coat.

Lastly, and maybe you've updated your guide since I skimmed it earlier, but you comment on the firewall there's no good use for it. If you get it before the third boss it trivializes it as after you take out the upper pods you can use the fire wall to drop fire on the lower pods while staying above everything and you don't have to even move. Made that boss a breeze when I did that on accident. I didn't try it but maybe it works on that scorpion boss as well that you have to hit the backside? Not sure if the shots go through to the back or hit the front and stop there. Probably the latter.

Lastly, the last boss was a breeze on Normal. I just used the shotgun circle blast weapon and constantly jump-dashed up. The drones constantly kept me healed and things died quickly. I was worried I'd really want that flamethrower but it wasn't needed.

Kyuur

As for the second thing,
look in Edin

I feel like I've looked everywhere. Glitch doors everywhere, a boss room in the top right I can only get to with
my drone
and a secret tunnel near the bottom exit that seems to end right in front of a door I can't get to. :( Did I miss an item somewhere?

Edit: Nevermind, was just being bad at this game.. Managed to get to the boss room..

Xenthar

14:49:27 into the game.
81% item and 93% map
Thx god i know which area to look what i'm missing. Yellow dot for item and purple dot for map from what i understand.

Still early 2015, i know, but this is without any doubt my GOTY so far. Gonna be hard to beat that, since this is the 2D Metroid i needed for so many years.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I'm stuck on Kur with no clue what to do to progress. I already have the high jump, by everywhere I go, everything is too high up to make progress. I can go to Zi, but I can't clear an area with all the smoke stacks. I'm literally stuck and have no idea what to do. I've already beaten the third boss as well.

I have the trench coat, but no idea where to go / reach next.

Brydo0

Neo Member
Question!
Whereabouts do you find the password tool? I'm currently in E-Kur -Mah and am at a loss to progress, saw above the explanation of figuring out the password, but I've yet to come across the tool.

Solved my problem.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I really liked his game, but hitting such a rock hard wall is putting a huge damper on it.

Edit: sigh, figured it out.

Mesoian

Alright, I'm stuck.

CBoXRJ6XIAAjKuP.jpg

Alright, I'm stuck.

How the hell do I make this jump?

Defect

The music in KUR is so bad. It's giving me a headache.

Also there's a room with like 8 pink lasers I can't pass through.

My guide now features the 100% full map! Not all items are listed on the map yet.

It's in a note. It's a little vague but it makes sense once you've seen the item. Unfortunately the notes is in a very hard to get secret in Mar Uru.

item spoiler:
Grappling controls are perfect. You hold a direction to detach, not to jump. Pressing X to jump then circle to fire again would be horrible--and yes you need to repeatedly do that for a few items

As for the second thing,
look in Edin

If you don't have E Kur Mah on your map you probably don't want to read this and should just ignore it for now. Traversal power spoilers:
You need the enhanced drone launch, teleport, then you need to dash through the wall after teleporting to the drone

Expect around
hours for a first runthrough, but it depends on a lot. I saw someone with over double that and 4x as many deaths as I had.

Thanks that's what I have been trying I guess I just gotta get better at timing it. Is it the same solution to get to the top right room in Ukkin na?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Alright, I'm stuck.

CBoXRJ6XIAAjKuP.jpg

Alright, I'm stuck.

How the hell do I make this jump?

You don't. You need to proceed further in the other direction. I was stuck here for a bit too because I wanted to backtrack and explore the first areas with all my new stuff, but the game requires you to explore further before you can go back to the early areas.

Brydo0

Neo Member
Coming back for another Q,
I've beaten Ukhu, explored E-Kur-Mah (got the lab coat) and have talked to Ophelia.
Been exploring for the last hour but I can;t figure out where the game actually wants me to be right now. Any advice?

Phatmac

Think I'm stuck I got the drone and white lab coat and the areas that are left unexplored are Eden and indi. I can't go back to the starting areas so I think I'm missing an item. I've beaten 3 bosses so far. I think the drone area near zi is key but it has those parasite enemies that kill my drone no matter what I do. :( help needed

_RT_

Think I'm stuck I got the drone and white lab coat and the areas that are left unexplored are Eden and indi. I can't go back to the starting areas so I think I'm missing an item. I've beaten 3 bosses so far. I think the drone area near zi is key but it has those parasite enemies that kill my drone no matter what I do. :( help needed

Funny. Might be stuck here as well.

Sir TapTap, a missing small power node on your map:
seventh block down from the top on the long vertical left-side section in Absu. It's within a group of gray breakable blocks.

I know your map isn't item 100% complete but figured I'd add that since I went everywhere over Absu and couldn't find what I need to 100% that section but did come across that before pulling up your map and trying to check everything off. As far as I could tell I already had everything else before checking your map so I must be missing some small power or health node that you don't currently have marked. It's driving me nuts.

I'm up to 91% items. I know you said Eribu had several hidden ones when you were finished but I actually have that 100% map and item complete and aside from using your guide to see how to get the code for the laser room the rest wasn't bad. I found the hidden note that has the other code we've talked about up in Mar-Uru and that's now item 100% complete (I'm assuming map never shows complete there since it doesn't save the boss room?).

I want to move on but I also really want 100% complete. Argh.

Anyone know how to get the Health Upgrade near where you get the
Red Coat?
. Not the upgrade in the same room, but the one a few rooms away. In the lower right corner of the same room where you
use a passcode.

Boss 4 is fucking hard, jesus christ. I can get him down to red easily but then I keep pelting him and he just doesn't fucking die.

Edit: Finally. Took like 5 tries.

Kyuur

Nearing the end game and running around to collect, just figured out
IKKIBULABIRU! Pretty amazing feeling figuring it out on my own. This game is on par with Fez with those kind of secrets!

Chitown B

Boss 4 is fucking hard, jesus christ. I can get him down to red easily but then I keep pelting him and he just doesn't fucking die.

really? he was about the easiest for me. shoot shoot shoot. Occasionally jump over the low shots. He doesn't come too near you. Playing on hard here.

Chitown B

You need an item,
the lab coat that lets you airdash/teleport

air dash? I just used the grappling hook.

edit: so apparently the game saves at your nearest save point even if you don't manually save? Because now I'm stuck in UKKIN-NA and I don't want to be. wtf.

Kyuur

Just finished, here are my stats:

Difficulty: Normal
Time: 10:10:57
Item: 82%
Map: 93%
Deaths: 30

Fucking great game. I was a little iffy at the start that it was going to live up to what some people are saying, but wow. Terrific end to March!

The end boss was probably the easiest in the game. Spammed disrupter and teleport.

I decided not to kill that 'boss' right before, does that affect anything? Maybe a trophy, since I got 'Mercy'? Someone mentioned that there are multiple endings, and I see a trophy for 'fulfilling my legacy' which I didn't get. Is it % based like Metroid games?

Two items I missed for sure was a weapon (looked like a flame?) on the left side of the starting area, and one behind a barrier in the final area. I missed a ton though! Can't imagine where, I felt like I explored everywhere. :)

Not sure if I'll be replaying or 100%ing right away, given that I still have Pillars to play and several other games to go through.. but I'll definitely return at some point. Speedrunning, maybe!

Stoze

I finished it. The developer went to the college of Super Metroid design and came out with two fucking PhDs.

Seriously, this game has immaculate game design through and through. Items and upgrades that range from cool to brilliant, brisk pacing and progression, clever and rewarding secrets and item collection, story that dosen't take long or get in the way but remains interesting, and near perfect controls. Best game I've played this year no question.

nynt9

Ok, I'm stuck again. I have what I said earlier, plus
firewall, inertial pulse, reflector, trenchcoat, enhanced drone launch, grappling hook
. I have access to
Eribu, Absu, Zi, Kur, Indi, Ukkin-na, Edin, with Edin being the least explored and Kur having some spots as well
I can't react the exit in the top right of the latter. I had the story event with (major spoilers)
the fucked up boss battle and I learned the truth about the world and talked to the face things saying I need to find an elevator
. What now?

Kyuur

Ok, I'm stuck again. I have what I said earlier, plus
firewall, inertial pulse, reflector, trenchcoat, enhanced drone launch, grappling hook
. I have access to
Eribu, Absu, Zi, Kur, Indi, Ukkin-na, Edin, with Edin being the least explored and Kur having some spots as well
I can't react the exit in the top right of the latter. I had the story event with (major spoilers)
the fucked up boss battle and I learned the truth about the world and talked to the face things saying I need to find an elevator
. What now?

The next place to progress is
Edin
. More specifically, in the area
with the caterpillars and steam platform launchers. You can in fact make it up!

nynt9

The next place to progress is
Edin
. More specifically, in the area
with the caterpillars and steam platform launchers. You can in fact make it up!

Oh fuck, just discovered that area. This is really fucked up!

Philthy

Heh, I just got stuck in a wall.

To bad I can't updown jump my way out. I gotta quit the game.

Memories.

Nemesis_

Is there a good time to go back and find more collectibles and the like? Or should I just play through it normally and explore before entering the final area.

I'd like to buff up my character but I'd also not like to waste too much time heading back and forth since I don't think there's fast travel?

Chitown B

no fast travel. that's the only major oversight in this game. traversing can get tedious.

Feel free to explore until you can't anymore, and then move on to the next boss.

Nemesis_

I will say I am super impressed with the tone and atmosphere. I like how as you get further into the game the music becomes slightly more melancholic and it feels really dark and depressing. It's this weird sense of isolation that I feel is commonly "missed" when games try to emulate that Metroid magic.

It's a really bizarre mix of things though. I get heaps of vibes from Kabuki Quantum Fighter, which was a weird as fuck NES game that mixed weird alien monster looking things with a high technology kind of concept. I love it though.

The only thing I find a bit jarring is that the main character behaves a bit weirdly / like a joke character which is at odds with the game's very serious and sinister tone / stylings.

But yeah, really surprised by this loving it.

The soundtrack reminds me a lot of Perfect Dark too *O*
Yeah, the second area song you encounter has a specific instrument from PD and I got the same vibes.

So, I beat the game and am now on my search for 100%. I've been using Sir TapTap's map as a guide just to figure out what pieces of map I'm missing (because having zero hints for that sucks) and came across a few problems.

1: Can you make a version of the map that looks like a Metroid map where instead of specifying what items are at what parts of the map, you just have a white dot indicating that a square has an item? This would make exploration feel fair to a Super Metroid nut like myself.

2: Can you explain on your guide page what
the yellow and pink dots in the upper right of the map
mean. That probably didn't need spoiler tags but I'm being careful.

3: I'm stuck on two items that seem to require
password entry.
Though your guide just gives the answers away, it'd be cool to have hints as to how to figure those out instead of just being given them. Yes, I'm being an ass and asking for a spoiler-free guide here.

4: Any chance you'll eventually add
glitch areas to the map? You're missing at least two as far as I can tell.

5: Lastly, a straight up question.
Does the map in glitch areas give a dot in the corner if you fully explored them and got their items? Or does that apply to the map which teleports you to the glitch area?

Game is fun but not enough breadcrumbs for certain things. Still 10/10 and I hope Happ makes a sequel with SNES graphics.

Top Bottom