• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

Seventy70

I need some help regarding the
Hornet boss.
I have the following weapons
Lightning gun, Voranj, inertial pulse, hypo-atomizer, firewall, kilver multi-disrupter and nova.

Is there a damage reduction upgrade somewhere that I have missed? I have 8 health upgrades but am getting wrecked by everything in Edin

Have you picked up any damage upgrades? My tip for that fight is to
switch the the lightening gun when the little hornets come out, then switch to the Voranj and blast at its face while avoiding the projectiles. Make sure to move towards the hornet in order to get it to move further back and add some distance between you and it. That should prevent any charge attack from hitting.

I need some help regarding the
Hornet boss.
I have the following weapons
Lightning gun, Voranj, inertial pulse, hypo-atomizer, firewall, kilver multi-disrupter and nova.

Is there a damage reduction upgrade somewhere that I have missed? I have 8 health upgrades but am getting wrecked by everything in Edin

I used the
lightning gun while moving toward him then backing off to create space and when the hornets
are released I use a
bomb
to take care of them instantly. I used the last one and beat it moments later.

PaulloDEC

So... I'm kinda stuck already. I've got
four weapons (blaster, three-way, splitter, electric shotty) and the drill.
I've beaten one boss. Map screenshots:

xRrb.jpg

wRrb.jpg

No idea where to go that doesn't feature either impassable glitches or areas where I can't reach the platforms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

_RT_

This game...... THIS GAME.
38 years old and it takes me back to my youth.

All I need now is a nice quality map that I can take out of the box, unfold and put out on the coffee table in front of me. A nice instruction book that I could read.
I miss those days.

One quesiton:
What is the story behind the glitch-ing area(s) (only found one so far)? I think the game suggested that I should't be there (clicked through the text too quickly). Is it that I am there too early, or that they are truly harder areas that I don't need for the main part of the game?
FWIW, the screen is actually grainy when you are in this area.

I've read through this thread, but I'm not sure if the area I'm describing is the same as the ones other people have touched on in the thread.

SerTapTap

For anyone who wants an easier time on the final boss on hard (super late/secret item/boss spoilers):
The flamethrower MURDERS the last boss. The drones are junk against it. Hard mode/no deaths just got way less scary.
. My guide can help you find that item, though I need to clean up the guide a bit

All I need now is a nice quality map that I can take out of the box, unfold and put out on the coffee table in front of me. A nice instruction book that I could read.
I miss those days.
One quesiton:
What is the story behind the glitch-ing area(s) (only found one so far)? I think the game suggested that I should't be there (clicked through the text too quickly). Is it that I am there too early, or that they are truly harder areas that I don't need for the main part of the game?
FWIW, the screen is actually grainy when you are in this area.

I've read through this thread, but I'm not sure if the area I'm describing is the same as the ones other people have touched on in the thread.

I'd buy the hell out of a physical version. Though I'm not sure I could take it out of the package. I might need to buy two.

About that area:
Those are Secret Worlds (a la Metroid and SMB1), it's safe to go in there, there's extra power ups. Their location is random. Always explore them when you find them.

No idea where to go that doesn't feature either impassable glitches or areas where I can't reach the platforms. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's
that unexplored area to the right/down of the save area in Absu. There shouldn't be anything preventing you from going up there.

Sidenote (Story Spoiler):
The hallucination bit was awesome. Is it possible to "win" there? Also loving the logs, these bastards think they can play me! :p

Hard is ridiculously hard. Incredibly low health pickup drop rate and restore rate means you can hardly afford to get hit and some enemies are just a pain to try and avoid. Bosses would probably be the easiest part of a hard run, I think. Do-able, but probably a slog. I switched over to normal from hard and am enjoying the game much more.

Regarding the spoiler:
No, best I can tell "Trace" is invincible and being able to attack is just for fun/to fuck with you

No, bosses are still the hardest part of Hard. But yes, Hard is very punishing and is NOT recommended for a first playthrough. It seems fine early on but some later areas and bosses will be a real pain.

Near end spoilers:
I'm stuck on the sub-boss before the final boss. The one that shoots out lots of tracking bullets. I always lose so much health going from the save point to the sub-boss.

Dodging that one is really tough, try crouching in the corners when it's invulnerable, and hit it super hard from beneath, you can dodge MOST of those shots just by jumping or moving a bit left and right.

Plat is hard but not as hard as I initially thought. Will definitely require a good deal of mastery, a guide and probably 30-40 hours I'd guess though. Like all Metroidvanias, the second playthrough is way easier and faster, and most bosses can be taken down much easier than you initially did by using the right guns and tactics.

I have not! I can't find them?

Keep exploring Kur, go as far right as you can from the
surface

I'm stuck at this same point as well. I went all the way back through all the beginning areas thinking one of the new abilities would let me pass but I don't see anywhere I can get through.

Tohsaka

Finished the game last night with 97% map completion and 77% item completion, I really enjoyed it. I'm backtracking for 100% now and there's one item that I can't seem to get to right near the end of the game:
It's behind a laser wall in Mar-Uru with seemingly no way to bypass it, like I'm missing a password or something but I didn't see one to remove it on SirTapTap's page.

SerTapTap

Finished the game last night with 97% map completion and 77% item completion, I really enjoyed it. I'm backtracking for 100% now and there's one item that I can't seem to get to right near the end of the game:
It's behind a laser wall in Mar-Uru with seemingly no way to bypass it, like I'm missing a password or something but I didn't see one to remove it on SirTapTap's page.

Two ways to get that. The right way:
Glitch a purple robot from outside that room and "bring" it with you by walking through the door. It will appear in the same spot it was in the prior room, and it's shots should trigger the orb. Clever.
And the wrong but awesome way:
Certain guns can shoot through laser walls at certain pixel distances. Shoot the Hypo Atomizer through the wall at the exact right spot and you'll hit the trigger orb and it'll open. The Reflector can go through a lot of walls too, but it's not useful here. BTW, there is not just ONE item in that room, hint hint

I think I'll add that to the guide somehow, it's definitely one of the trickier ones that doesn't involve a password. Been meaning to mark up the map with what items you need to get some stuff too.

Tohsaka

Two ways to get that. The right way:
Glitch a purple robot from outside that room and "bring" it with you by walking through the door. It will appear in the same spot it was in the prior room, and it's shots should trigger the orb. Clever.
And the wrong but awesome way:
Certain guns can shoot through laser walls at certain pixel distances. Shoot the Hypo Atomizer through the wall at the exact right spot and you'll hit the trigger orb and it'll open. The Reflector can go through a lot of walls too, but it's not useful here. BTW, there is not just ONE item in that room, hint hint

I think I'll add that to the guide somehow, it's definitely one of the trickier ones that doesn't involve a password. Been meaning to mark up the map with what items you need to get some stuff too.

I actually considered trying that first method, but I didn't think I could get it to follow me in there. I guess I should've tried it after all! Thanks for the quick reply.

SerTapTap

edit: Added some boss tips to my guide--they're all the way at the bottom. Still thinking of how/if I can organize this to let people jump to a relevant section and only read up to the latest spoiler that they need. It's all in story-progress order for the most part but you can scroll past some pretty extreme spoilers in other sections.

I actually considered trying that first method, but I didn't think I could get it to follow me in there. I guess I should've tried it after all! Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah, you're supposed to notice that
glitched purple robots move into the next room, then usually explode--but for that room in particular, they survive as long as they don't spawn in a wall
. Pretty clever.

dock

As someone that has never enjoyed his time with Super Metroid, but recently learned to enjoy Castlevania SOTN, do you think I'd enjoy this game?
I don't really dig the art, and the talk about glitches sounds like a gimmick, but perhaps it is something bigger than that?

Generally the term metroidvania fills me with dread.

I've completed Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania SOTN (although I might be 'done' in upside, Cave Story, and Metroid Prime 3.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This game is fantastic, I can't wait for work to be done so I can get back to it. I didn't check my progress at the end of last night, but I suspect I'm two-thirds done, just finished the
hallucination boss

I like that there's so little handholding compared to recent Metroid titles.

SerTapTap

This game is fantastic, I can't wait for work to be done so I can get back to it. I didn't check my progress at the end of last night, but I suspect I'm two-thirds done, just finished the
hallucination boss

I like that there's so little handholding compared to recent Metroid titles.

IMO it's just the right amount of "handholding". There's a brief sentence that tells you want new items do, and each time you get one, you're trapped in a room where you need to use it to escape--learning by doing is far better than a forced tutorial. There's also a couple one-way situations that keep you focused early-on without doing something stupid like giving you a big objective marker. I even like the minimal information on the map--you can see if your map/items are complete for that area (the purple/yellow dots) but it's not as obvious as the Metroid Fusion "dot means there's an item".

It's kind of just the barest minimum to help you learn by doing and it really works well.

HORRORSHØW

i'm so lost lol. and i'm finding the game more difficult than bloodborne...and i'm only playing on normal. the last upgrade i got was the
dash
. naturally i started backtracking and now i have no idea where i'm supposed to go.

SerTapTap

Grimløck;158575117 said:
i'm so lost lol. and i'm finding the game more difficult than bloodborne...and i'm only playing on normal. the last upgrade i got was the
dash
. naturally i started backtracking and now i have no idea where i'm supposed to go.

It shouldn't be THAT hard to find where to go...isn't there a big, almost totally unexplored area on your map? Progression spoilers:
Look around Edin

HORRORSHØW

It shouldn't be THAT hard to find where to go...isn't there a big, almost totally unexplored area on your map? Progression spoilers:
Look around Edin

yeah, that's where i'm primarily looking around. there are a few doors i can't get to just yet. i'll be more observant now, though.

SerTapTap

Grimløck;158575501 said:
yeah, that's where i'm primarily looking around. there are a few doors i can't get to just yet. i'll be more observant now, though.

Don't forget you can
dash UP

Dan

IMO it's just the right amount of "handholding". There's a brief sentence that tells you want new items do, and each time you get one, you're trapped in a room where you need to use it to escape--learning by doing is far better than a forced tutorial. There's also a couple one-way situations that keep you focused early-on without doing something stupid like giving you a big objective marker. I even like the minimal information on the map--you can see if your map/items are complete for that area (the purple/yellow dots) but it's not as obvious as the Metroid Fusion "dot means there's an item".

It's kind of just the barest minimum to help you learn by doing and it really works well.

Yeah, it's smartly subtle. It guides the player in learning the items, and might gently nudge you in certain directions, but it's not slapping arrows on the screen or doing a step by step tutorial. The lack of a constant voice or system overtly pushing you in certain directions also works well for the atmosphere.

Philthy

As someone that has never enjoyed his time with Super Metroid, but recently learned to enjoy Castlevania SOTN, do you think I'd enjoy this game?
I don't really dig the art, and the talk about glitches sounds like a gimmick, but perhaps it is something bigger than that?

I've completed Castlevania Order of Ecclesia, Castlevania SOTN (although I might be 'done' in upside, Cave Story, and Metroid Prime 3.

This makes no sense to me, how you can like one but not the other. Regardless, this may as well have been called Super Super Metroid. Its that good. But if you really didnt like Super Metroid, you wont like this.

Also, no, the glitch items arent a gimmick, they're incredibly well thought out and unique which I hope to see in other games somehow.

Beat it with 93% map and 77% items. Definitely going to keep plugging away and trying to find secrets. I think the game is amazing. Definite top ten.

ThisOne

I just beat the third boss and got the
lab coat
. I go upwards and there's an open area with guys that I can't seem to damage and
rocks falling on the level
. Can't seem to get past this part. Not sure where to go. I can't backtrack because there's a jump that I can't make at some point to go back.

SerTapTap

lab coat
. I go upwards and there's an open area with guys that I can't seem to damage and
. Can't seem to get past this part. Not sure where to go. I can't backtrack because there's a jump that I can't make at some point to go back.

The place you describe is the right place. You can drill those guys. There's a few things you need to get/do there before leaving. Keep finding items in that area until you find a new map and the ability to backtrack

Grimløck;158576128 said:
yeah, i totally get it. and i've been using it. it's probably something really obvious i'm oblivious to that's going to make me smack my forehead.

If you want another hint, I think you are missed
the laser wall above the big glitch in Edin, just to the right of the entrance to Indi, keep going from there and you'll find an item with obvious usefulness

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
God, I am loving this game. Just discovered my first secret world where you have to
change the enemies into blue lasers so they take out the others.

Game is super polished.

Chitown B

having trouble in Zi. After 3rd boss.

edit: just ran past the guys and they jumped over me. Had enough health this time.

ALSO - how do I get back to Absu after you go past the room with all the steam vents? The jump is too far.

Chitown B

lab coat

keep going up and to the right. there is a room where you'll get an item you need.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I got the creature and I'm trying to get through the long area at the left side of the map. Near the end there is a long straight room with like 6 of those clawing jumping guys. I don't know how to get past it. Do I have to take them on one at a time? I try to run but they run faster and the little bug just dies.

ALSO - how do I get back to Absu after you go past the room with all the steam vents? The jump is too far.

See I haven't even beaten the 3rd boss but I think I have the upgrade that would allow me to make that....
the something displacer that makes me jump higher.

Dan

I got the creature and I'm trying to get through the long area at the left side of the map. Near the end there is a long straight room with like 6 of those clawing jumping guys. I don't know how to get past it. Do I have to take them on one at a time? I try to run but they run faster and the little bug just dies.

If I'm thinking of the right area, you have to wait to get a new item.

Stoze

It's much more similar to Super Metroid than any other game, but I can't not reccomend this game. The glitch/4th wall kind of stuff isn't a gimmick, that's all I'll say about that.

SerTapTap

I'm not sure why everyone is trying to hard to get back to Eribu immediately. Highly vague progression spoilers I guess.
That one-way is there for a reason, trust me. Explore where you can and don't worry about it too much.

Looks 16 bit to me. Almost identical to Super Metroid.

I think a lot of people comparing the game negatively to Super Metroid forget what Super Metroid looks like. Very limited color palettes by choice in that game. Axiom IS a more 8 bit style though, with 4 colors per tile. It just doesn't follow 8 bit limitations exactly, it's a bit of a fusion of 8 and 16 bit that works oddly well. It has a style and sticks to it, resulting in a very cohesive game.

God, I am loving this game. Just discovered my first secret world where you have to
change the enemies into blue lasers so they take out the others.

Game is super polished.

I LOVE the enemy interactions like that. IF any of you aren't trying to glitch every new enemy you come across you're missing out.

Schlep

Already have that. Not enough height.

This spot here:

CBnOYvwUEAEm2ej_zpscajqhbi3.jpg

It's almost like
you need a new item to get across
. And unlike my paranoia when I got to that point, no
it wasn't something you missed that would result in having to restart the game

Chitown B

It's almost like
you need a new item to get across
. And unlike my paranoia when I got to that point, no
it wasn't something you missed that would result in having to restart the game

K. it's weird you would need something so far down the line just to get back to the beginning levels. I assume a double jump or something.

Chitown B

K. it's weird you would need something so far down the line just to get back to the beginning levels. I assume a double jump or something.

OK I just got the item that I was probably missing. However in the area I get it, there is some energy that is impossible to get. The item sucks really bad. My first complaint about the game. The mechanics of the
grappling hook are awful. If you swing back and forth, you carry zero momentum and just fall. If you jump off the swing, it does the same. the only way for it to work it pressing forward once and jumping off.

Kyuur

OK I just got the item that I was probably missing. However in the area I get it, there is some energy that is impossible to get. The item sucks really bad. My first complaint about the game. The mechanics of the
grappling hook are awful. If you swing back and forth, you carry zero momentum and just fall. If you jump off the swing, it does the same. the only way for it to work it pressing forward once and jumping off.

The controls for
the grappling hook are really weird. Took me a bit to get it, basically you don't touch jump at all. You tap in one direction to start swinging, and then hold the direction you want to go when you want to jump. No idea why it works that way.

It would be nice if we could control the sound levels for music and sound effects.

The music is just too loud.

Weird, for me the sfx is way too loud!

Anyone able to help me out with where to go after getting the
Trenchcoat
? I'm pretty sure I've explored everywhere and don't want to trek around places I've already been if I can avoid it. :(

Schlep

OK I just got the item that I was probably missing. However in the area I get it, there is some energy that is impossible to get.

There's an orb on the very top right that is impossible to get at that point (to my knowledge), but there is a 1/5th one in the wall that you can get.

So I've seen the code that's used to get the
flamethrower
(later game weapon) but I don't understand where you get the code from. I've tried everything in that room and can't spot it. Is it mentioned randomly in some note I haven't found yet? I don't like the idea of just inputting the code without seeing the reason behind it. It's just driving me a little nuts.

SerTapTap

My guide now features the 100% full map! Not all items are listed on the map yet.

So I've seen the code that's used to get the
flamethrower
(later game weapon) but I don't understand where you get the code from. I've tried everything in that room and can't spot it. Is it mentioned randomly in some note I haven't found yet? I don't like the idea of just inputting the code without seeing the reason behind it. It's just driving me a little nuts.

It's in a note. It's a little vague but it makes sense once you've seen the item. Unfortunately the notes is in a very hard to get secret in Mar Uru.

The controls for
the grappling hook are really weird. Took me a bit to get it, basically you don't touch jump at all. You tap in one direction to start swinging, and then hold the direction you want to go when you want to jump. No idea why it works that way.

Anyone able to help me out with where to go after getting the
Trenchcoat
? I'm pretty sure I've explored everywhere and don't want to trek around places I've already been if I can avoid it. :(

item spoiler:
Grappling controls are perfect. You hold a direction to detach, not to jump. Pressing X to jump then circle to fire again would be horrible--and yes you need to repeatedly do that for a few items

As for the second thing,
look in Edin

Loving this game but I could use a little help. How do I get the needle in Edin?

If you don't have E Kur Mah on your map you probably don't want to read this and should just ignore it for now. Traversal power spoilers:
You need the enhanced drone launch, teleport, then you need to dash through the wall after teleporting to the drone

What's the average time for completing this game? I just bought it on PSN.

Expect around
hours for a first runthrough, but it depends on a lot. I saw someone with over double that and 4x as many deaths as I had.

pswii60

I love this game so much!! It's strange how my mind gets completely immersed in its 8-bit world, whereas I get turned off by the latest and greatest AAA games.

Although I am playing with this constant unnerving feeling that I keep missing secrets etc, and that's probably because I am. But I love the design, it adds mystery and discovery to the game that is missing in most of today's games.

It's wonderful and the last game that made me feel like this was the sublime FEZ. The two games have a lot in common actually, the glitchy style puzzles etc. Takes me back to my youth, just wish there were more games that truly capture the retro spirit and design like this, rather than just capturing the retro graphics.

Top Bottom