• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

You really overestimate red states, like severely. Maybe in the future of 50 years or something, when it's way too late to matter

It all depends just how much money other people are making compared to how much they're making.

Stubborn people won't be in power forever.

I believe I actually saw something on TV the other day, a Republican town major who was all into "green", especially wind energy. Not because he believed in climate change, but because it was economically the best option and because he thought "hey, clean air is nice right?!"

No? I'm trying to explain that people will all end up following the money eventually. This isn't a question of political morals but of business decisions.

But will they, though? Some states seem all about, but not all of them, with any red states outright shunning the idea

There are plenty of red states that have a large portion of their energy produced by wind and solar.

The issue they have is portions of their economy are based around fossil fuel export.

Bigger issue at hand is this makes the world far less trusting of the US and absolutely weakens negotiating power in the future, considering other actors can point at the US's ability to elect an irrational leader.

The legality of leaving the deal is long. Trump was being told to stay in the deal for most likely a few reasons. It would have been easier to stay in and coast through it, making minimum commitments, and Republicans actually know that it's a fair deal, even if they have created a following and publicly denounce such climate action.

Trump can't stop the second half of the issue with renewables becoming the de-facto energy source of the future. The issue has been replacing aging and not so aging fossil fuel infrastructure with renewables, which is costly to do when you're telling states to replace plants that aren't through their lifespan. However, lack of government action can slow such a process down, even with the frankly insane drop in prices the last five years, as well as the future.

It's yet to be seen what the ramifications of backing out of the deal will be, some scientists say that other counties will still stay committed, some say that it could have a ripple effect when it comes time for the next negotiations. Short term, emissions aren't going to shoot up and we've already had three years of near zero global emissions growth. The long term ramifications of such actions are yet to be seen, with obvious reason.

IaN_GAF

I am of the humble opinion that you can't be allowed to call yourself "leader of the free world" if you are actively working to fuck said world up.

I believe I actually saw something on TV the other day, a Republican town major who was all into "green", especially wind energy. Not because he believed in climate change, but because it was economically the best option and because he thought "hey, clean air is nice right?!"

On the flip, when I go to the local theater, there is a message playing before the previews about how windmills are terrible, there's no proof they are effective, and are just plain ugly, all accompanied by dire, sour music. It was against some proposition outside my voting county to switch an area to clean energy. Basically painted the whole idea as the worst possible thing on Earth.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
What a manly decision.

Next country Trump visits - prepare your rotten tomatoes!

Aerogamer

Neo Member
GDP per capita it isn't. It's high teens IIRC.

To clarify I am talking about nominal GDP.

I know that, but we don't really consider Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg etc. to be rich in terms of global influence and as part of the global economy. I am not speaking of how much the people have, as with 300 million people, you won't get individual incomes to that level. It is a shame because America is technologically and economically so advanced, yet a great portion of this nation does not comprehend climate change.

Xando

Everyone gonna bitch about this on the internet but i doubt there will be any actual protests by americans.

No? I'm trying to explain that people will all end up following the money eventually. This isn't a question of political morals but of business decisions.

I don't think you seem to understand the GOP generally puts politics above business. North Carolina, Kansas and Oklahoma are shining examples of this. The GOP in NC was willing to destroy their own economy by digging in even harder just for a bathroom bill no one really cared that much about.

On the flip, when I go to the local theater, there is a message playing before the previews about how windmills are terrible, there's no proof they are effective, and are just plain ugly, all accompanied by dire, sour music. It was against some proposition outside my voting county to switch an area to clean energy. Basically painted the whole idea as the worst possible thing on Earth.

Damn. When I go to the theaters I see the exact opposite. I live in Canada, and I see messages of scientists talking about climate change to children, saying how this shouldn't be a problem we leave up to them.

IaN_GAF

To clarify I am talking about nominal GDP.

I know that, but we don't really consider Monaco, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg etc. to be rich in terms of global influence and as part of the global economy. I am not speaking of how much the people have, as with 300 million people, you won't get individual incomes to that level. It is a shame because America is technologically and economically so advanced, yet a great portion of this nation does not comprehend climate change.

Perhaps America should invest some more of her wealth in the education of their children. Might be the only way out of this mess.

Kthulhu

Yup. Disgraceful that the wealthiest country on Earth should struggle so much to understand basic science.

How is climate science taught in the US? Does anyone know? I want to know if the young people actually get this.

Depending on your state, it isn't. If you go to college they will if you take a relevant class.

Depends on where you're from. It's taught properly in most colleges, but high schools are hit and miss. It's not uncommon, especially in the South, for high school teachers to gloss over climate change. Same with evolution.
But why? its bad enough that evolution is contentious but at least I can see the Jesus footprint in why that happens. Climate Change just seems like such a weird thing to decide to take an issue with, I've seen people make some religious arguments but those, to me, feel tacted on rather than the real reason. Is it genuinely just trickle-down lobbying and politicians trying to justify their shitty voting so that, due to the insane partisanship in the States, makes a whole wealth of people decide it doesn't exist?

Not to be a dick, but I believe America isn't even in the top 10 wealthiest countries on earth.
You're not being a dick, you're just correcting me. In my fervent hatred for Trump in that moment, my brain did do somewhat of a back-flip in terms of GDP and per capita GDP. Still, its largely inexcusable.

Depending on your state, it isn't. If you go to college they will if you take a relevant class.
But... okay, this may be somewhat of a scarecrow and off-base because in not American but it largely seems like Republicans don't believe in this out of the major parties. They actively repress this information in your education system and then you need to go out of your way to learn about it and - once again, correct me if I'm wrong - then they also complain that college-age liberals are 'snowflakes' who want to avoid contradictory ideas whereas all the while they're trying to suppress information they don't like down to the level of school text books because they don't like the science because it became partisan? Am I wrong?

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Perhaps America should invest some more of her wealth in the education of their children. Might be the only way out of this mess.

America needs to invest more in educating it's citizens about global affairs, science and culture outside of it's borders. I agree with you on that. But that is not something half this country values.

Jonathan Swan
@jonathanvswan

I am told the pressure on @POTUS from Ivanka to stay in Paris has been intense.

Well fuck you then, Ivanka. You're not good enough.

Edit: I'm also tired of her wanting to have it both ways. What positive, moderating influence has she had like she was happy to tell anonymously to reporters? None.

Ok world, you have a duty to humanity.

Trump is a danger to humanity. You know what to do.

Fuck up his business beyond recognition.

It's the only way he will learn.

Take his golf courses, take his hotels, take all his assets that aren't in the US.

Make sure his name will be synonymous for piece of shit for eternity.

Yeah, it may be required, but in a lot of Southern states they will gloss over it. In both my middle and high schools, my science teachers basically told us not to worry about the sections on climate change and evolution. One of them even told me "they" would have to come and drag him away before he'd ever teach evolution or the big bang. We sent the days that was supposed to be allotted to those subjects watching movies usually.

Anyone have a list of everything Obama did?

I really think he is just going down the list the stupid idiot has no original ideas except for undoing whatever Obama did.

Addi

Fucking snowflake, or should I say, water drop...

Even North-Korea signed the agreement. You know you fucked up when even Kim Jong Un is better for the world than Trump.

That's great. One large protest a month is surely making a difference while earth gets destroyed

You have no idea what you're talking about.

But why? its bad enough that evolution is contentious but at least I can see the Jesus footprint in why that happens. Climate Change just seems like such a weird thing to decide to take an issue with, I've seen people make some religious arguments but those, to me, feel tacted on rather than the real reason. Is it genuinely just trickle-down lobbying and politicians trying to justify their shitty voting so that, due to the insane partisanship in the States, makes a whole wealth of people decide it doesn't exist?

I really don't know why.

Xando

Jesus, I know you're pissed, but all public action helps, dude.
Do you think the east german government would have caved if their citizens put public pressure on them once a month instead of mass protests every week?

A protest per month with all the shit this administration does is a joke and the GOP won't give a shit about it.

What do you expect to happen? POTUS to actually listen to the people?
There are so many examples where constant pressure actually changes policy.
Bitching on the internet or protesting once per month will not change policy.

Kthulhu

You're not being a dick, you're just correcting me. In my fervent hatred for Trump in that moment, my brain did do somewhat of a back-flip in terms of GDP and per capita GDP. Still, its largely inexcusable.

But... okay, this may be somewhat of a scarecrow and off-base because in not American but it largely seems like Republicans don't believe in this out of the major parties. They actively repress this information in your education system and then you need to go out of your way to learn about it and - once again, correct me if I'm wrong - then they also complain that college-age liberals are 'snowflakes' who want to avoid contradictory ideas whereas all the while they're trying to suppress information they don't like down to the level of school text books because they don't like the science because it became partisan? Am I wrong?

No, you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Do you think the east german government would have caved if their citizens put public pressure on them once a month instead of mass protests every week?

A protest per month with all the shit this administration does is a joke and the GOP won't give a shit about it.

And again, you show you have no idea what you're talking about

Top Bottom