• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Trump is pulling U.S. out of Paris climate deal

Who says you have to go to DC to take part of a protest?

Do you think people in east germany all went to berlin to protest? Go to your local GOP office and protest the shit out of them. If enough people do it the pressure comes to the politicians in DC which in return will put pressure on the president.

You don't need to camp infront of the whitehouse to protest this.

There needs to be constant pressure from everywhere to everyone supporting this. If these people don't feel the pressure nothing will change.

You can move the goalposts, but the overall issues are still the same. With poor public transportation, and a large, often time crushing workload (I was working 50-60 hours a week until recently), it's not nearly as easy to just jump out and go somewhere to protest as it is in a lot of countries. There's a reason these centralized protests are being done the way they are, it's just not something you can really understand without understanding the overall size of America. It's not comparable to Germany, France, South Korea, etc.

I wish we had more concrete proof this is happening, I don't really wanna discuss it outside of this board as if it's happening if it ends up not in some bizarre twist of fate.

What does this mean?

Anyway hopefully the rest of the world puts the US in its place.

Xando

You can move the goalposts, but the overall issues are still the same. With poor public transportation, and a large, often time crushing workload (I was working 50-60 hours a week until recently), it's not nearly as easy to just jump out and go somewhere to protest as it is in a lot of countries. There's a reason these centralized protests are being done the way they are, it's just not something you can really understand without understanding the overall size of America. It's not comparable to Germany, France, South Korea, etc.

Yeah continue finding excuses and complain about him on NeoGaf.

People have been flooding the phone lines of local GOP offices and protesting outside since Trump got elected. They don't care because they still see no proof that their constituents won't vote for the person with an R next to their name when they get in the voting booth. Protesting means jackshit. Voting these people out is the only thing that will.

Flooding the phone lines is a great first step and what i'm saying is if the pressure stays constant they will have to change their policy. It doesn't happen over night, that's why we need constant pressure.

Metal B

*Sigh*

Okay, time to pull out my post about this the other day, when everyone dissed protesting in America.

It's much harder than you realize to just go out and protest for the vast majority of the country, especially among the capital. So, yeah, you have no idea what you're talking about.
In other words "It's toooooo haaardddd.". Seriously protesting means making sacrifices for the greater good. Nobody says, it's easy, safe or fast. Through the America history people were willing to take the sacrifice and tried to change something. Now things should be more easier, thanks to newer technology ... But it looks like it became harder.

soqquatto

America by majority selected a rational leader, something that's relevant when talking about an entire nation and the actions of a government and blaming the populace for "electing" that government.

people who didn't vote, people who never show up for midterm, people that allow such a completely idiotic system to be in place, those are the ones that should be blamed right after Trump and the people who voted for him. but now we've pretty much counted for the vast majority of people in the US.

What? That's your reasoning? We have protests "pro Europe" organised over different countries with different languages every weekend! Every single city has probably only up to a thousand protesters at a time, but it's the orchestration that gets noted. The States are big but we are not living in the stone ages anymore.

Snap out of your paralysis and get going

Here, to give you an idea.

You missed a key part that applies to Europe that doesn't apply here: good and relatively cheap public transportation. It makes a big difference. I don't need to snap out of anything, you just need to actually understand what living in America is actually like before preaching about it.

Blader

Well, for what it's worth: A lot of states work hard on reducing CO2 anyway. Just because the orange turd thinks climate change doesn't exist (or doesn't affect him since he is dead in 20 years anyway) doesn't mean California will start building coal power plants again. I think there was word that 35 of the US states have already gone beyond the requirements of the Paris act. Which makes you wonder, maybe it isn't Putin's goal to keep the US small, maybe he wants to outright tear them apart similar to what happened with the Soviet Union.

Right, there's a silver lining to this, which is that states, cities, and private-sector businesses are taking increasingly bigger steps toward energy efficiency and cutting CO2 emissions. The federal government reneging on its climate action responsibilities doesn't mean that the U.S. as a whole is doing nothing about climate change.

Beartruck

On the other hand, renewable energy helps countries to be more independent from other countries?

To a certain extent, this is what I mean. China will be totally self sufficient, and we'll still be reliant on other places for oil. Being reliant on shit like oil gives us no bargaining room when talking to countries like Saudi Arabia.

Bluenoser

God bless Sweden and Germany for leading this charge, since the "most powerful nation" doesn't seem to think the planet is a priority.

As a Canadian citizen, this was the one issue he's made a decision on so far that affects ALL OF US, not just the assholes who put him in office.

Can't express in words how fucking mad I am right now.

Ovid

Yes, Clinton won the popular vote by roughly 2.9 million people, which is a lot of people, but as of 2012 the American voter population was about 235,248,000 people.

Going by those numbers that's a 1.2% margin, which is very slim.

What I'm saying is this: a disgusting number of people in this country are fucking us over.

Any way you slice it, half of the voting populatuon made this happen either through ignorance, spite or apathy.
And selfishness.

These are the same "fuck you got mine" and "what does this do for me" people.

RPGCrazied

Nothing matters anymore. You can literally beat the shit out of a reporter and get elected to congress. You really think they care about this? Specially since Trump has said it was all a hoax?

test_account

XP-39C²
There's no way that a foreign country is going to tell the US what they can use of energy, there's no way. That is what Trump said during his campaign.

Fritz

You missed a key part that applies to Europe that doesn't apply here: good and relatively cheap public transportation. It makes a big difference. I don't need to snap out of anything, you just need to actually understand what living in America is actually like before preaching about it.

Like, you are not able to leave your couch?

Given what Trump said in recent years and what the GOP stands for, did anyone actually expect something else?

Trump is just doing what he said he would do. And in that sense, he is doing what people who voted for him wanted him to do.

God bless Sweden and Germany for leading this charge, since the "most powerful nation" doesn't seem to think the planet is a priority.

As a Canadian citizen, this was the one issue he's made a decision on so far that affects ALL OF US, not just the assholes who put him in office.

Can't express in words how fucking mad I am right now.

States and the private sector are already moving towards renewable energy. He can't stop progress.

Tovarisc

bwTTq4Z.png

https://twitter.com/UN/status/869896305891577856

Linkark07

Banned
Fuck you Orange Turd, and fuck all the idiots who voted for him and this shitty Government. History will remember you as the ones who tried to destroy our beautiful planet.

Xando

You seem to have enough time to discuss this on NeoGaf. Have you called your local GOP office today or is that too hard?

A few million americans, not even the majority, fuck up in a major way and the rest of the world has to pay the price with them for generations to come. Bravo.
The Republican Party is a fucking disgrace.

To a certain extent, this is what I mean. China will be totally self sufficient, and we'll still be reliant on other places for oil. Being reliant on shit like oil gives us no bargaining room when talking to countries like Saudi Arabia.
I understand.

But 2050 is so far away that Trump is just going to be a memory. (hopefully..)

While the shit that he does now is troublesome, I believe that the US is going to steadily increase it's renewable energy anyway, Europe even more so.

If every country is someday self-sufficient we hopefully have a lot of problems solved.

Yeah continue finding excuses and complain about him on NeoGaf.

You resort to this then, when you have no other rebuttal I guess. I didn't vote for Trump, I vote in all elections, local and federal, and I donate a fairly substantial amount to various charities and activist groups that help fight his agenda, and I recently started donating to the DNC and DCCC. So yeah, I am just complaining about him on NeoGAF. What the fuck are you doing outside bitching about people not passing your dammed purity tests for activity?

In other words "It's toooooo haaardddd.". Seriously protesting means making sacrifices for the greater good. Nobody says, it's easy, safe or fast. Through the America history people were willing to take the sacrifice and tried to change something. Now things should be more easier, thanks to newer technology ... But it looks like it became harder.

Too hard? No, that's not all of it, it's also incredibly expensive. But I'm sorry that money is a problem for me. If you are willing to donate some of your vast fortune to me so I don't have to worry about work and funds, I'll be in DC every week.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck to we stop him?

I hope the rest of the world threatens to sanction us to death which'll pressure businesses to tell Trump to back the fuck off. Fuck.

don't worry, friends. rumor is that Ivanka is applying heavy pressure to her daddy on perils of withdrawing.

Jonathan Swan‏Verified account @jonathanvswan 33m33 minutes ago
More
I am told the pressure on @POTUS from Ivanka to stay in Paris has been intense.

This is a desaster, for the US.

Because to be fair, violating the Paris agreement's targets isn't really that much of a deal anyhow.

But for the energy industry in the US this decision is catastrophic, because it completely destroyed the predictability of the US market & leadership. In this politicial environment companies in the US don't have the stability they need to justify massive spendings.

This is exactly why countries like Australia, Canada, China and - yes - Russia will not withdraw from the Paris agreement - there won't be a domino effect. The US is alone with this, together with Syria, if I remember correctly.

So, long story short: Congrats once again America, you played yourself.

Imagine being such a despicable, incompetent asshole that when the Pope begs you to think about the future of the planet, you think he's lying to you.

Chumly

Well fuck you then, Ivanka. You're not good enough.

Edit: I'm also tired of her wanting to have it both ways. What positive, moderating influence has she had like she was happy to tell anonymously to reporters? None.
Honestly anyone that actually believes that Ivanka or kushner bring some liberal voice are deluding themselves. They are both frauds and constant articles like this are just fake news spread specifically by them to make themselves not look like terrible human beings. I wouldn't even be surprised if she didn't even mention it to her father

Xando

You resort to this then, when you have no other rebuttal I guess. I didn't vote for Trump, I vote in all elections, local and federal, and I donate a fairly substantial amount to various charities and activist groups that help fight his agenda, and I recently started donating to the DNC and DCCC. So yeah, I am just complaining about him on NeoGAF. What the fuck are you doing outside bitching about people not passing your dammed purity tests for activity?

I'll be protesting when he comes to Germany in July. Police expect atleast 200k protesters. About the same as in DC for the climate protest a month ago.

I'll have to drive there for 45 minutes after working(45h/week). Unfortunately i don't have as much say on the stupid shit your country does like a lot of people here on GAF.

Trump met Tuesday with a key voice advocating for withdrawal, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Scott Pruitt. He meets Wednesday with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, who supported remaining in the deal.

It's okay, as long as we stop him from talking to anyone after Tillerson he won't pull out.

Metal B

Too hard? No, that's not all of it, it's also incredibly expensive. But I'm sorry that money is a problem for me. If you are willing to donate some of your vast fortune to me so I don't have to worry about work and funds, I'll be in DC every week.
I bet, anybody who ever protested, was swimming in money and just could take the day off. Just say, you're too lazy to do anything yourself or that you're not faced with the prolems of your country, since you still have enough money for yourself. At least then we could finish this discussion and it would be much less hypocritical, then you defending your good will.

UberTag

Hopefully Donny counters with a pledge to INCREASE carbon emissions to prove to the world that global warming is a farce and that his side is right and he can go after another win.

Fritz

I'll be protesting when he comes to Germany in July. Police expect atleast 200k protesters. About the same as in DC for the climate protest a month ago.

I'll have to drive there for 45 minutes after working(45h/week). Unfortunately i don't have as much say on the stupid shit your country does like a lot of people here on GAF.

Yes, I'll join! This is in Hamburg, right?

Top Bottom