• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

(placeholder logo)

Description: Every week we nostalgically look back on the games we played growing up and our personal stories surrounding them. We discuss a brief history of the game, the memories of the game that impacted our lives, and the experience of going back to the game in the present day.

Latest Episode:
BimP Gaiden: Retro Game Setups and the Japan Experience (Part 1) (1:09:48)

This week we change it up a bit with a discussion on the optimal retro gaming setups, upscalers, emulation vs hardware, and the experience on traveling to Japan..

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Neo Turf Masters, Metal Slug, Baseball Stars 2

Teknoman

Are you a fan of the series? Well, the two games, I suppose.

I got the first game for Christmas when it was new, but never beat it. Never played the second game, but i'm definitely going to get back into the series. I keep running into Shenmue 1 in crappy condition everywhere I go (caked in what I think was dirt, missing discs, scratched to hell, etc.) so I guess i'll run into a good quality copy one day.

All else fails, it'll be online time when I get around to it.

Def Jukie

Was on this week's 8-4 play. Tune in for bonus retro game talk:

Looking forward to hearing what nickname Gaming Jesus has appointed you. Those guys really do great work. Fire Emblem Awakening would have been a great game either way but their localization was top notch and really added to the experience.

Anyone know what they are working on right now? Did you happen to do any snooping around when they weren't looking? It's OK, you can tell me. I'm hoping Nintendo has them working on Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII.

Looking forward to hearing what nickname Gaming Jesus has appointed you. Those guys really do great work. Fire Emblem Awakening would have been a great game either way but their localization was top notch and really added to the experience.

Anyone know what they are working on right now? Did you happen to do any snooping around when they weren't looking? It's OK, you can tell me. I'm hoping Nintendo has them working on Bravely Default or Dragon Quest VII.

Nope. and even if I did I wouldn't say shit.

Def Jukie

Nope. and even if I did I wouldn't say shit.

I was kidding of course. I guess I don't really understand why they have to keep it a secret for games that have already been announced though. It has always been strange to me. I can't think of a good reason why a publisher would really care.

I was kidding of course. I guess I don't really understand why they have to keep it a secret for games that have already been announced though. It has always been strange to me. I can't think of a good reason why a publisher would really care.

PR and timeline for announcements. In the past they mentioned working on games that had yet to be announced.

Teknoman

Yes, but was saving that discussion for when we talk this weekend. It's ...yeah

That doesnt sound good...

At least Double Dragon Neon is fun.

I wish someone would say something about DQ X or Bravely.

Just a heads up that we might miss the show this week. Looks like work is pulling me back home early and flying back Sunday.

Will keep you guys posted.

Yes Boss!

Coach,

You mentioned getting a Duo from doujindance on 8-4. Just a heads-up, if you look at his previous sales he accepts a lot of "offers." Not saying that the $200-250 for the system is too much but you might be able to offer him a little less.

Coach,

You mentioned getting a Duo from doujindance on 8-4. Just a heads-up, if you look at his previous sales he accepts a lot of "offers." Not saying that the $200-250 for the system is too much but you might be able to offer him a little less.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up!

baphomet

Just heard you on 8-4 podcast. Good job! If you're feeling super helpful bring me back a copy of Castlevania 3 for the famicom and i'll gladly buy it from you in the states, lol.

Just heard you on 8-4 podcast. Good job! If you're feeling super helpful bring me back a copy of Castlevania 3 for the famicom and i'll gladly buy it from you in the states, lol.

To be honest the only copies I have found have been really expensive, like 30% more than when I was out here in March. The ebay exporters usually have good prices on it though.

Def Jukie

I've been wanting to pick up a Japanese copy for so long but haven't yet. I really need to fix that. If I could just use a converter I would have picked the game up by now but it's to my understanding it won't work on a North American NES because the extra chips Konami used are not compatible. Does anyone know a good place online to buy a Famicom AV that will ship to the US?

Good stuff on 8-4 Kevin. If you guys don't get around to doing a Zelda II episode this trip I hope it happens another time. I'm with John and Mark and think the game is great but I absolutely understand why it doesn't click with some people. Now to enjoy that 8-4 bump in new listeners. Safe travels man.

RkOwnage

On a completely unrelated retro note, I went crazy this morning with my action figure ways of years past and got all the Disney Infinity figures and playsets. If there is anything I love as much (if not more) than Nintendo, it's anything Disney.

Will post pictures of my craziness later on!

On a completely unrelated retro note, I went crazy this morning with my action figure ways of years past and got all the Disney Infinity figures and playsets. If there is anything I love as much (if not more) than Nintendo, it's anything Disney.

Will post pictures of my craziness later on!

Cool! Which one is the best do far?

Also this week's show is going to be late because of Japan and travel. Hope to do Part II of the Retro Gaming Gaiden episode tuesday.

Yes Boss!

Sneak peak at the Japan trip goods:

Good haul. Some nice MVS in there! Don't see Nam but next time.

Your layout looks as if you were making the United States...with leaving shitty Florida off! I'm kidding...my sister was born in FL and my parents lived there for a spell when working in the Space Program.

Just thought I would pop in and say 'awesome work'. I really enjoyed the Zelda, Mario and Shenmue episodes, as those games resonated with me, and I love a trip down nostalgia lane.

Can I ask what the process is for selecting the topic? Have you thought about getting fan input? Was great hearing you on 8-4play as it's one of my favourite gaming podcasts.

Good haul. Some nice MVS in there! Don't see Nam but next time.

Your layout looks as if you were making the United States...with leaving shitty Florida off! I'm kidding...my sister was born in FL and my parents lived there for a spell when working in the Space Program.

Nam 1975 was 8000 at the only place I saw it. It is on my list.

Man I should use multiquote....

Just thought I would pop in and say 'awesome work'. I really enjoyed the Zelda, Mario and Shenmue episodes, as those games resonated with me, and I love a trip down nostalgia lane.

Can I ask what the process is for selecting the topic? Have you thought about getting fan input? Was great hearing you on 8-4play as it's one of my favourite gaming podcasts.

Basically we just talk about it. Always open to recommendations. Also make sure you let the 8-4 guys know you liked it! Trying to get them on Skype to do an episode of BIMP from time to time.

How are you gonna get a profit on the 2 Vita's? Vita's aren't selling like hot cakes and have deals all the time. Are Vita's a lot cheaper in Japan or something?

Not trying to make a killing off them. The Red/Blue sell for a bit in the US since we don't have the colors here. Also a plus to be a US seller :)

The Vitas were about $190.

Yeah, which makes since because it is now $100+ on eBay.

eBay for Neo Geo carts? I just go to neo-geo.com those guys are great with pricing.

Got to fix my monitor tomorrow and play some of these games. Finished with:
  • Magical Drop 2
  • Baseball Stars 2
  • Neo Turf Masters
  • Metal Slug 3
  • Metal Slug X
  • KoF 98
  • World Heros 2 JET
  • Sam Show 3
  • Cyber Lip
  • Puzzel Bobble
  • Power Spikes II
  • Shock Troopers 2

I am good for a while :)

Yes Boss!

eBay for Neo Geo carts? I just go to neo-geo.com those guys are great with pricing.

Oh, I just use eBay as a price barometer. Never bought anything MVS there (don't own a single MVS cart, btw).

Really only want a Nam, a Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, Raguy, Fatal Fury 2 and Andro Dunos. Those are my favorites.

But, when it comes to NG I prefer the early titles.

Oh, I just use eBay as a price barometer. Never bought anything MVS there (don't own a single MVS cart, btw).

Really only want a Nam, a Magician Lord, Cyber-Lip, Raguy, Fatal Fury 2 and Andro Dunos. Those are my favorites.

But, when it comes to NG I prefer the early titles.

Should get you on for a Neo Geo segment. Need to do a few episodes on the MVS.

oatmeal

Banned
Quick Q, I was the lucky winner of Final Fight. I emailed you, just wanted to make sure you got it and weren't going to give it away.

I was out for a run when I listened, so that was cool.

Quick Q, I was the lucky winner of Final Fight. I emailed you, just wanted to make sure you got it and weren't going to give it away.

I was out for a run when I listened, so that was cool.

Just got back from Japan today, going to get to that stuff tomorrow. Shoot me another email if you don't mind just so I can make sure I get the address right.

Def Jukie

Super jealous of those MVS carts. Homer Simpson drool.jpg. Nice haul.

Is that a gameboy light? If it is, I'd be curious to hear what your impressions of it are when you get a chance to mess around with it. I've been thinking of getting one but don't know if it's really worth it or not.

Thank you for the kind words. Any games in particular you'd like to see?
Err...hear, covered?

I am trying to get Part II of the Retro Gaming Gaiden episode out this week. Anything you guys want me/us to hit on in terms of retro gaming setups, shopping, and game life in japan?

Top Bottom