• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Game Guru

To correct you a bit on Super Smash Bros., Melee sold 7 million on GameCube and SSB64 sold 5 million on the N64. It sold generally in line with the sales of 3D Mario. The Wii's expanded audience had relatively little effect on SSB's fanbase. It's more 2D Mario and Mario Kart that may be affected by the lack of the Wii's expanded audience. As for why we are getting 3D World instead of Galaxy 3, 3D World outsold both Mario Kart and 2D Mario on the 3DS, which means it might be something people will more likely buy than Galaxy 3. There is some method to Nintendo's madness, though even I am debating on just getting a 3DS over the Wii U since it's getting Smash Bros in addition to Mario Kart now.

To correct you a bit on Super Smash Bros., Melee sold 7 million on GameCube and SSB64 sold 5 million on the N64. It sold generally in line with the sales of 3D Mario. The Wii's expanded audience had relatively little effect on SSB's fanbase. It's more 2D Mario and Mario Kart that may be affected by the lack of the Wii's expanded audience. As for why we are getting 3D World instead of Galaxy 3, 3D World outsold both Mario Kart and 2D Mario on the 3DS, which means it might be something people will more likely buy than Galaxy 3. There is some method to Nintendo's madness, though even I am debating on just getting a 3DS over the Wii U since it's getting Smash Bros in addition to Mario Kart now.

Well said. Nintendo should eventually learn that the expanded audience simply isn't there anymore.
Off topic:
3DS is my favorite system. You'll love having it.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was thinking.

On a side note I really need to pack...

Listening to the Podcast for the first time. Great conversation about nintendo at the end.

Thanks, we really love the company, but they have been so frustrating to watch as of late. It's like watching a friend make a mess of his or her life and not being able to do anything about it.

Listening to the Podcast for the first time. Great conversation about nintendo at the end.

Thanks, we really love the company, but they have been so frustrating to watch as of late. It's like watching a friend make a mess of his or her life and not being able to do anything about it.

I have a two day trip planned for Kyoto next week. Going to stage a sit in at Nintendo HQ until Iwata plays some Balloon Fight with me.

RkOwnage

I have a two day trip planned for Kyoto next week. Going to stage a sit in at Nintendo HQ until Iwata plays some Balloon Fight with me.

Are you going to thank them personally for every old school SNES game having a better soundtrack than its Sega counterpart? If so, send my regards as well!

Teknoman

Heat check:
Any interest in us covering Saturn, Sega CD, or 32x games?

yes.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
About time to board the flight to Tokyo. Next time I post I will be on the east side.
I'm about a week behind you.. Going to Tokyo myself. Let us know if you find any must-see retro game spots.

Teknoman

I vote he goes Bonk crazy (hucards of course) + Gate and Lords of Thunder. For starters of course.

EDIT: Oh and Legendary Axe 1...yeah just pick up a PC engine duo.

Neifirst

Heat check:
Any interest in us covering Saturn, Sega CD, or 32x games?

32X would be a fun episode. There were some interesting original titles for the system like Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri, along with some great arcade games like Virtua Racing Deluxe, Space Harrier, and After Burner.

RkOwnage

Think I'm gonna pick Chrono Trigger back up and try and beat it pretty soon. I'm about Neo Geo'd out after playing these most of this week. But yeah, I played Cross for like 5 hours before my PS1 went poof, and never picked it back up... a shame.

Edit: Aside from Twitter, I'm also launching a Twitch channel next week, where I'll be playing mostly current stuff, when I have the time. Just doing it out of boredom really, podcasting has given me a little more courage to do other things, we'll see how it works out.

32X would be a fun episode. There were some interesting original titles for the system like Knuckles Chaotix and Kolibri, along with some great arcade games like Virtua Racing Deluxe, Space Harrier, and After Burner.

Glad there's some interest in the weirder side of Sega!

Also, I had forgotten about the awesome arcade ports. It also got a rad Doom port, but I mean, what didn't?

Made it to Japan!!! First pickup of my Japan trip was waiting for me at my friend's house. No more CRT!

This morning (in 2 hours) we are hitting up Akihabara and Nakano with a literal duffel bag to go full on RAID style.

Apenheul

I've listened to episode 6 and 7 so far. I still really like the format of the podcast, the music takes you back and the past and present talk is interesting. Mad respect for editing a weekly podcast too, it takes a lot of effort and really eats into your spare time to pull something like this off.

Regarding Final Fight vs Streets of Rage.. I'm going to have to say that I agree that SoR is the better series overall, but personally I'd put FF3 above SoR1 because SoR1 was kind of slow and mechanically less interesting. SoR2 > SoR3 > FF3 > FF2 > SoR1 >> FF1. I haven't listened to episode 8 yet but I'd rate Turtles in Time even above SoR2, mainly because of the speed, controls and interesting enemy types.

Zombies Ate My Neighbours was my most rented game, I was mainly a PC gamer and a Lucas Arts fan too so I really appreciated the cameo's (e.g. the Tentacles and the clown). It's one of my favorite 2 player cooperative games. Between Gooftroop, Toejam & Earl and this I like Zombies the most because of the challenge and great atmosphere. Playing alone I don't think I'd enjoy it though. I'll listen to episode 8 tonight.

Better come back with a PC Engine and some games!

Will do my best!

Only after a Trigger episode. Then the REAL discussion can commence with Cross. I'd be interested on who would love and who would hate.

Still a grind for me, need to get back to the game.

I'm about a week behind you.. Going to Tokyo myself. Let us know if you find any must-see retro game spots.

Shoot me a PM when you get here.

Bog

Junior Ace
Made it to Japan!!! First pickup of my Japan trip was waiting for me at my friend's house. No more CRT!

This morning (in 2 hours) we are hitting up Akihabara and Nakano with a literal duffel bag to go full on RAID style.

Buy some RGB cables for your 16/32-bit consoles and the component adapter for GC/Xbox/PS2.

Night and day.

I've listened to episode 6 and 7 so far. I still really like the format of the podcast, the music takes you back and the past and present talk is interesting. Mad respect for editing a weekly podcast too, it takes a lot of effort and really eats into your spare time to pull something like this off.

Regarding Final Fight vs Streets of Rage.. I'm going to have to say that I agree that SoR is the better series overall, but personally I'd put FF3 above SoR1 because SoR1 was kind of slow and mechanically less interesting. SoR2 > SoR3 > FF3 > FF2 > SoR1 >> FF1. I haven't listened to episode 8 yet but I'd rate Turtles in Time even above SoR2, mainly because of the speed, controls and interesting enemy types.

Zombies Ate My Neighbours was my most rented game, I was mainly a PC gamer and a Lucas Arts fan too so I really appreciated the cameo's (e.g. the Tentacles and the clown). It's one of my favorite 2 player cooperative games. Between Gooftroop, Toejam & Earl and this I like Zombies the most because of the challenge and great atmosphere. Playing alone I don't think I'd enjoy it though. I'll listen to episode 8 tonight.

ZAMN! Really is a joy cooperatively. I sadly couldn't convince my wife to play it with me during my recent play through, though.

Thanks for reminding me about GoofTroop; I would love to revisit that gem of a coop game.

Neifirst

Just listened to the Turtles episode - great job as always.

With regards to the Wii U discussion at the end, you all really should give Lego City Undercover a try - the characters are really well written, there a ton of different power-ups, and the exploration/collection can get down right addictive. I'd also recommend Resident Evil Revelations if you didn't play the 3DS version. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is fantastic, but that's definitely a take it or leave it type of game.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Wonderful 101 demo too next time.

Day 1 of the shopping in Japan. Hit up the usual shops in Akihabara but also found an awesome local store outside of the city.

Picked up some Neo Geo carts for my MVS too!

This is the stuff from the local shop, the prices were WAY better than in Akiba.

Def Jukie

It kind of makes me sad that carts were never as cool as they were on the Famicom. I'm sure it was cheaper to just make them all one color but it's so cool seeing all the different ones. Nice Kid Dracula pickup.

Glad there's some interest in the weirder side of Sega!

Also, I had forgotten about the awesome arcade ports. It also got a rad Doom port, but I mean, what didn't?

Dude I will never forget walking into Toy R Us and seeing the 32X on sale for 20 bucks, I thought at the time. Man I can buy a whole system and a game for the same price as a new Genesis game. I walked out of that store thinking I just robbed their asses. Man o man.

Yes Boss!

Coach done good with that Cyber-Lip MVS.

I was just watching one close on eBay a day ago. Went for about $55 delivered. My top bid was 40 so I lost out. The Nam-1975 I was watching closed at $115. Nam is getting expensive (like Andro Dunos).

Coach done good with that Cyber-Lip MVS.

I was just watching one close on eBay a day ago. Went for about $55 delivered. My top bid was 40 so I lost out. The Nam-1975 I was watching closed at $115. Nam is getting expensive (like Andro Dunos).

Cyberlip was 3,000 yen, Might have to pickup Nam at G front, think it was under 4,000

Just listened to the Turtles episode - great job as always.

With regards to the Wii U discussion at the end, you all really should give Lego City Undercover a try - the characters are really well written, there a ton of different power-ups, and the exploration/collection can get down right addictive. I'd also recommend Resident Evil Revelations if you didn't play the 3DS version. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is fantastic, but that's definitely a take it or leave it type of game.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on The Wonderful 101 demo too next time.

The Wonderful 101 is my most anticipated game of 2013 (Platinum Games lover here) but I can't play the demo until I have Internet at my new house. Which could be as late as August 21 or so. Sigh. Using my phone for GAF and going to relatives' to podcast sucks.

Also, I love Lego City. Such a nice take on the GTA style open-world game!
You and I have very similar tastes it seems.

Just a heads up we might have a delay on this week's episode. The internet I have at the apartment in Japan is not too great. Trying to work around that now.

On a side note, might do an in person recording with John Riccardi from 8-4 while I am in Japan which should make up for it :)

Just a heads up we might have a delay on this week's episode. The internet I have at the apartment in Japan is not too great. Trying to work around that now.

On a side note, might do an in person recording with John Riccardi from 8-4 while I am in Japan which should make up for it :)

That 8-4 heat. It's hot.

RkOwnage

The Wonderful 101 is my most anticipated game of 2013 (Platinum Games lover here) but I can't play the demo until I have Internet at my new house. Which could be as late as August 21 or so. Sigh. Using my phone for GAF and going to relatives' to podcast sucks.

Also, I love Lego City. Such a nice take on the GTA style open-world game!
You and I have very similar tastes it seems.

I got the demo and have played a decent amount of it (i should be sleeping, work at 6am ftfl), but I am now sold on it. It's addictive and the combat is so chaotic and fun. It'll be a good title to have for us loyal WiiU owners.

I got the demo and have played a decent amount of it (i should be sleeping, work at 6am ftfl), but I am now sold on it. It's addictive and the combat is so chaotic and fun. It'll be a good title to have for us loyal WiiU owners.

So jealous, I hate not having a proper Internet connection!

Good news. We are recording a really cool episode today on retro gaming and game shopping in Japan. Have a ton of info on the best way to buy, play, and differences in retro games between markets.

Teknoman

No love for Kid Icarus huh? :) Now that I think of it, some quick Ninja Gaiden stage start music would work.

That would've worked perfectly! Also that was the podcast? Heh I left the room and thought someone was messing with my 3DS (Kid Icarus 3D classics).

Anyway, you should definitely make Dracula Kun a miniboss. Just got it recently, and its like a bit of Megaman fused with Castlevania. Catchy soundtrack too.

EDIT: Back in my play X ????: Cross generation of gamers?

Ok liked the Yoshi Island score tally theme at the end. Never ceases to put a smile on my face.

That would've worked perfectly! Also that was the podcast? Heh I left the room and thought someone was messing with my 3DS (Kid Icarus 3D classics).

Anyway, you should definitely make Dracula Kun a miniboss. Just got it recently, and its like a bit of Megaman fused with Castlevania. Catchy soundtrack too.

EDIT: Back in my play X ????: Cross generation of gamers?

Ok liked the Yoshi Island score tally theme at the end. Never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Absolutely on kid Dracula! Pretty cool game.

Top Bottom