• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Neifirst

Kevin, if you're looking for some Master System recommendations, try out Golden Axe Warrior (very reminiscent of Zelda 1) and Spellcaster (action-adventure hybrid).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Kevin, if you're looking for some Master System recommendations, try out Golden Axe Warrior (very reminiscent of Zelda 1) and Spellcaster (action-adventure hybrid).
I've never even seen a a master System IRL and I've always wanted to try that game!

Teknoman

I saw one once, when I was 6. Went to a friend's house, and his big brother had one in his room, but wouldnt let us play it. lol that was the first and only time i've ever seen one aside from behind a glass case in a local Game Over.

I saw one once, when I was 6. Went to a friend's house, and his big brother had one in his room, but wouldnt let us play it. lol that was the first and only time i've ever seen one aside from behind a glass case in a local Game Over.

It even had a 3d glasses set up. Weird stuff.

Yes Boss!

lol analysts strike again. Never thought i'd hear someone talk about TG16 on the news.

TG-16 was very much in the news back then. In the major mags like Newsweek and Time right along with the Genesis. It was all a pretty big deal with new companies going up against the single dominent force.

Horseticuffs

You guys must not remember when the TG-16 was first breaking over here. Legendary Axe was the shot heard 'round the world.

Believe!

To this day the only actual retro console I've dreamed of owning is a TG-16. Everything else emulation is a-ok with me, but that was such a slick-looking system!

Playing through JSR I am realizing I just scratched the surface of this game in 2000. Always just quit after all the tagging/chasing missions that drove me nuts. I missed out on some beautiful stages/maps.

Makes me really miss Japan....

Horseticuffs

I've bought my daughters a tablet for Christmas and connected it to my Google account and you better believe I installed Jet Set Radio on there.

Surely not the ideal way to play it. It's the thought that counts!

Horseticuffs

Indeed! How much was it on the tablet? How does it control?

I got it during a fire sale Sega was running months ago. I think it was a dollar.

Sadly I must admit I've not actually played it yet! I randomly buy games I'm sure I'll eventually play but rarely do. It's so hard not to on tablets where everything's so cheap at random intervals.

I hear the controls are a nightmare to be quite honest.

Now House of the Dead Overkill is a pretty fun port, that much I can tell you on the Sega front.

manhack

Set destination time to December 20, 1990...

Nintendo Faces Stiff Competition Going into the Holiday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_E2lh1lgmk

Bonus Howard Philips appearance.

Amazing how this video seems eerily similar to some of the discussions going on today.

I totally forgot the Genesis was out at least a year before the SNES hit the scene.

It is funny that the analysts were concerned about "market saturation" being a negative, considering how the huge install base of the 360 and PS3 are actually good for the software companies right now, even though the new generation hardware has hit the shelves.

I suppose it just proves we won't really know how anything will pan out from a "console war" standpoint until we look at it in retrospect.

I'm excited for JSR. I recently replayed it myself on PSN. I absolutely loved it when it first came out, but lost my copy soon there after. It's a great game with great style and music, but it does feels aged. I think it's sequel, JSRF, holds up a little better.

Yes Boss!

Amazing how this video seems eerily similar to some of the discussions going on today.

I totally forgot the Genesis was out at least a year before the SNES hit the scene.

It is funny that the analysts were concerned about "market saturation" being a negative, considering how the huge install base of the 360 and PS3 are actually good for the software companies right now, even though the new generation hardware has hit the shelves.

I suppose it just proves we won't really know how anything will pan out from a "console war" standpoint until we look at it in retrospect.

Well, that was a time when the very notion of a game industry was in question. And consoles were still considered toys. Very different market realities today.

manhack

Well, that was a time when the very notion of a game industry was in question. And consoles were still considered toys. Very different market realities today.

True after the Atari video game crash it was totally conceivable that the industry would crumble again. Interesting after the days of Nintendo vs Sega vs NEC that the current battle is Sony vs Microsoft vs Nintendo.

Who knows where we will be 20 years from now. (Valve vs Apple vs Sony)

I'm excited for JSR. I recently replayed it myself on PSN. I absolutely loved it when it first came out, but lost my copy soon there after. It's a great game with great style and music, but it does feels aged. I think it's sequel, JSRF, holds up a little better.

Playing though JSR is making me want to give JSRF another shot. I just gave up on these games too fast back in the day.

Just hit chapter 3. This game is fucking crazy.

Really weird when they star connecting the levels with the transition areas. I guess it was the best solution to eliminate load times.

Yes Boss!

Do what I did the first time, book it and worry about paying it off later! Flights to Tokyo are pretty cheap now from major cities and there are some good business hotels for $100/night in shinjuku.

Truth,

I got some tickets for next march from SF to Narita. Only $938. Cheap enough. I cost quite a bit more to fly there from Germany last time.

Truth,

I got some tickets for next march from SF to Narita. Only $938. Cheap enough. I cost quite a bit more to fly there from Germany last time.

Nice! I might be out there too. Flying out at the end of February for the Game Center CX movie... And to spend another 2 weeks in Japan

Yes Boss!

Nice! I might be out there too. Flying out at the end of February for the Game Center CX movie... And to spend another 2 weeks in Japan

I'll be in tokyo March 4-11 (with the weekend in kyoto). If you are there at that time you gotta go grab a beer...or at least play a few arcade games one night if you don't drink. I gotta get you hooked on PC-Engine, too, so that it starts appearing on the show!

I'll be in tokyo March 4-11 (with the weekend in kyoto). If you are there at that time you gotta go grab a beer...or at least play a few arcade games one night if you don't drink. I gotta get you hooked on PC-Engine, too, so that it starts appearing on the show!

Cool. I'll let you know!

Horseticuffs

Listening to the Japan episodes just now and, boy howdy, are they a good listen. You guys are really getting to me. I think 2014 might be the year I FINALLY bite the bullet and buy that TG-16 I've wanted since I was a boy.

Horseticuffs

Time to hit up eBay. Or book a flight to Tokyo. :)

I actually have a pretty successful retro shop in my small southern U.S. town. I don't know what it's doing here, but they're even expanding!

By the way, I'd LOOOOVE to see you guys cover Virtual Hydlide someday. I always wanted to try it, and thought the graphics looked AMAZING back in the day but I never owned a Saturn.

I actually have a pretty successful retro shop in my small southern U.S. town. I don't know what it's doing here, but they're even expanding!

By the way, I'd LOOOOVE to see you guys cover Virtual Hydlide someday. I always wanted to try it, and thought the graphics looked AMAZING back in the day but I never owned a Saturn.

I am trying to only play good games or games we have specific memories with. From videos I have seen that game looks like torture. With that being said we might do Shadows of the Empire at some point.

daydream

Banned
Thanks for the kind words. If you like Zelda you will love the latest show.

I like Zelda and I did enjoy the show! Weird how that worked out. ;)

I did miss Trey, though. He always has some good memories to share. Nice to hear/see that you guys got some special guests in his place (and even a shiny new logo now!).

I remember listening to the P1 Podcast for a while, around Ep. 70-90 maybe, until I had to cut down on some shows, even if it was quality stuff like Player One. Anyway, the voices were definitely still familiar to me.

Downhome

Are you guys familiar with Crystalis on the NES? I'd love to her you guys do an entire episode on that one. It very well may be my favorite game out of the entire NES library.

Are you guys familiar with Crystalis on the NES? I'd love to her you guys do an entire episode on that one. It very well may be my favorite game out of the entire NES library.

Yep! I have a copy. Haven't gotten deep into it but I know it is one of the NES' hidden gems.

stewy

That was such a great game. I remember playing through it a couple times back in the day.

RkOwnage

I like Zelda and I did enjoy the show! Weird how that worked out. ;)

I did miss Trey, though. He always has some good memories to share. Nice to hear/see that you guys got some special guests in his place (and even a shiny new logo now!).

I remember listening to the P1 Podcast for a while, around Ep. 70-90 maybe, until I had to cut down on some shows, even if it was quality stuff like Player One. Anyway, the voices were definitely still familiar to me.

<3 I'm still around, I mentioned to Kevin about doing a Wrestling game podcast sometime soon and would love to be there for that. Considering my entire childhood was entrenched in wrestling, I've got some fun memories to share regarding the n64 wrestling titles!!

Top Bottom