• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Just finished The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. In the top 3, if not my game of the year. Loved it. Now we just need Nintendo to release a soundtrack ASAP.

RkOwnage

Just finished The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. In the top 3, if not my game of the year. Loved it. Now we just need Nintendo to release a soundtrack ASAP.

all that worrying I did about it not living up to A Link to the Past was for nothing. I finished Hero mode, and it's definitely in my top 3 Zelda games, ever. Also one of five games in my Game of the Year contendership this year!!

Thoughts on the new logo? Feedback?

Noticed it updated in Downcast today (or maybe yesterday?). Looks way better IMO.
Downloading the Jet Set Radio ep now, looking for a reason to hook up the DC again :)

EDIT: Just finished listening, good work guys but the music sections going for 2 minutes at a time is a bit excessive and I just find myself skipping through.

Teknoman

Listening to the early set reminds me that I never beat Shenmue. I remember really liking the game, then I think I fell prey to what every kid continues to do today:

Trade all my games in for one new system. I really need to get Shenmue again now that I can properly appreciate it.

Also awesome new logo!

Noticed it updated in Downcast today (or maybe yesterday?). Looks way better IMO.
Downloading the Jet Set Radio ep now, looking for a reason to hook up the DC again :)

EDIT: Just finished listening, good work guys but the music sections going for 2 minutes at a time is a bit excessive and I just find myself skipping through.

I hear you on the music. JSR is a special case as most retro music samples are 30-45 seconds long on loop. JSR has actual 3+ minute long songs and I didn't want to cut out major components of the tracks.

Listening to the early set reminds me that I never beat Shenmue. I remember really liking the game, then I think I fell prey to what every kid continues to do today:

Trade all my games in for one new system. I really need to get Shenmue again now that I can properly appreciate it.

Also awesome new logo!

That's what we had to do. I am amazed how some people were able to go their whole life holding on to their collections. If you wanted the new games you had to trade the old ones.

Teknoman

Yeah I think the only reason why I still have my original NES is because I got SNES and eventually Genesis for Christmas.

After that? Trade city lol.

Would you guys buy shirts if I had some made? Most likely around $18-20. Real nice American Apparel triblend shirts. Super comfortable.

Greg Sewart has me going down a dark Sega hole on ebay and craigs list this week... Should get interesting in the coming months on the podcast.

Teknoman

Greg Sewart has me going down a dark Sega hole on ebay and craigs list this week... Should get interesting in the coming months on the podcast.

I blame that Master System.

Its probably good to...get while the getting IS good though, since alot of Sega stuff aside from a few titles, are pretty sensible price wise.

Yes Boss!

Coach,

I've decided to take DC Jet Set Radio (as well as my Vita port) with me home for the holidays to play!

A little late to the party as I try to play the games a bit prior to them showing on the podcast (if and when I own them), but it should be fun.

Coach,

I've decided to take DC Jet Set Radio (as well as my Vita port) with me home for the holidays to play!

A little late to the party as I try to play the games a bit prior to them showing on the podcast (if and when I own them), but it should be fun.

Just be patient and take breaks. Don't try to brute force some of the more frustrating levels. Have fun!

Taking any other DC games with you?

I blame that Master System.

Its probably good to...get while the getting IS good though, since alot of Sega stuff aside from a few titles, are pretty sensible price wise.

I have spent $200 on more genesis stuff in the last 24 hours. Some harder to find stuff too. Ghostbusters will have to be covered on the show.

Just stumbled onto this show/thread. Description makes it sound like something I'll definitely enjoy. Gave a bunch of episodes a download. Looking forward to giving them a listen when I get a chance.

Just stumbled onto this show/thread. Description makes it sound like something I'll definitely enjoy. Gave a bunch of episodes a download. Looking forward to giving them a listen when I get a chance.

The idea of this podcast sounds great, the name sucks huge fatties but.

Hope you give it a listen. Let us know what you think. One thing I can promise is great production after doing 300+ podcast episodes.

meppi

Love how Greg brings up the fact that Sega's history seems to be unknown to a lot of people these days compared to Nintendo's.
Quite often this leads to people going "lol Sega" whenever they get brought up simply because they think about the bad years they have had over the past decade, yet are oblivious to just how brilliant and consistent their output has been in the past.

That's the main reason why I tend to focus on Sega publications on my own site as well, even though there's lots more demand for Nintendo stuff. Going the more popular route and focussing on Nintendo would certainly get us a lot more fans and followers, but I personally feel that cataloging Sega's past is needed a bit more at this point.

On another note, I completely forgot that Jet Set Radio was on the Vita as well.
Have the game on XBLA and PSN, but I think I'll be grabbing the Vita version tonight as well. :)

I haven't had my Vita for more than a couple of months, and maybe it's just me, but since picking it up I have had the same kind of feeling I had been missing ever since the Dreamcast.
They feel very similar to me, even if I can't quite put it into words. Hope it get's to live many more years and gets to have such a dense catalogue of games as well when all is said and done.

Yes Boss!

On another note, I completely forgot that Jet Set Radio was on the Vita as well. Have the game on XBLA and PSN, but I think I'll be grabbing the Vita version tonight as well. :)

I believe it is Cross-Play on the Vita...so your save carries over from PSN if you want to go back and forth. Don't quote me on that though! Vita port is the best way to play of the three, I feel. Definitely a "pinch-me" moment when you boot it up and realize you've got Jet Set in the palm of your hand. I did not really like the way it looked and felt on the XBLA/PSN.

Vita is a cool system. I understand the feeling of something special. I'm a huge fan for underdog systems...I just gravitate towards them. That always makes them more appealing...makes crazy sense but that is the way I've been since the 16-bit era. PCE, Lynx, DC (now Wii U, it seems).

meppi

Just purchased it. :)

It being the underdog might actually be a part of it for me as well.
Although it might also be the other way around. It doesn't sell as well as it gets a lot of niche and quirky games which I really do love. I just don't know.

Only had a NES in the 8bit era, although I played the Master System at a friends house.
During the 16bit gen, I had both the MD and SNES as well as a GB and GG, but sadly no PC-Engine. Never even knew about the system at the time.
Once the 32-bit generation got going I got quickly tired of a majority of the types of games that started appearing on the PSone in it's second year on the market, which started of the "bring polygon era" as I seem to recall it.
So I got a Saturn as well only 2 months after getting my N64, even though I loved the system. From following the Japanese and US launch, I knew the games would not be coming out on a monthly basis, yet still be great when we finally got them.

So I got the Saturn and started importing games for it.

The Saturn was my favourite system and still is. :)
After this I had to have a NeoGeo Pocket and Dreamcast and loved them so much.
But ever since the DC went away, I haven't really felt much excitement for a specific console, even though I buy tons of games for all of them.
The Vita though does something very special for me, even though it really needs a lot more support.
Glad to see some nice games are coming out for it early next year though.
Not to mention I still have to start playing Tearaway, Persona and Gundam Breaker as well as things like Gravity Rush and Rayman just to name a few.

I think part of the reason I love the Vita similarly to the Dreamcast is because the companies made them with games in mind. They did a lot of the right things and learned from their mistakes in the previous generation.

I guess you could say they both just made one mistake that hurt them. Dreamcast with DVDs and Vita with Memory Cards that cost $100. Personally I didn't give a crap about either of those.

onionfrog

Great podcast guys!
I've just finished listening to all the previous episodes so far in the past 2 weeks at work. I love hearing about each of your experiences with all these games during your childhood.

The two Gaiden episodes which covered the framemeister and retro gaming in Japan were thoroughly entertaining.

Are you planning on doing any episodes on the classic sonic games? (Any of them really, I don't have a huge preference)

I'm going to have to check out journey to sillius.

Also Streets of Rage 2 is so much better than Final Fight! It's no contest in my opinion.

I don't have iTunes, but I will be keeping up with the thread here from now on.

Great podcast guys!
I've just finished listening to all the previous episodes so far in the past 2 weeks at work. I love hearing about each of your experiences with all these games during your childhood.

The two Gaiden episodes which covered the framemeister and retro gaming in Japan were thoroughly entertaining.

Are you planning on doing any episodes on the classic sonic games? (Any of them really, I don't have a huge preference)

I'm going to have to check out journey to sillius.

Also Streets of Rage 2 is so much better than Final Fight! It's no contest in my opinion.

I don't have iTunes, but I will be keeping up with the thread here from now on.

Thanks for the kind words! Surprised anyone liked the first gaiden episode. I was so out of it from jet lag.

We will be doing some sonic stuff soon. Oddly enough Lloyd, who made our new logo, wanted to do Sonic 1 and 2 on the master system/game gear. So those will be early next year.

Wow. I beat Ghouls’n Ghosts on the Sega Genesis just now. Must have died over 500 times. Didn’t think I had it in me. Took 6-7 hours playing throughout the day with breaks. Have to give Sega credit. My 25 year old Genesis was on for 14 hours straight.

Teknoman

Congrats! putting that on hold while i recharge from Revenge of Shinobi. Does this one do the loop at the end of the first run playthrough? I have it, but havent really touched it.

Congrats! putting that on hold while i recharge from Revenge of Shinobi. Does this one do the loop at the end of the first run playthrough? I have it, but havent really touched it.

Yep, The second play through isn't too bad after you learn all of the patterns and bosses. They throw in some extra enemies and the bosses are harder, but after dying another 300 times you will beat it.

I am still drained after yesterday. So I hit up ebay and spent $300 on more games, "for the podcast." :D Focused on games I have never played before (minus star fox)

Huge lot of Genesis Games
Adventures of Batman and Robin on SNES.
Thunder Force III (Genesis in Box) (Thanks to The Generation 16 Videos)
Jurassic Par (Genesis in Box)
The Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis in Box)
Star Fox (US Version)
Ex Mutants (Genesis in Box)
Mohawk and Headphone Jack

Finished of the ebay spree with some more in box genesis stuff.

Twin Cobra
Desert Strike
Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition
Official 6-Button controller
Mega Turrican (this was an expensive one...)

If we were to do more video stuff, what would you guys want to see?

Going to test out the el gato capture from the Framemeister this week.

Big update coming soon and we have a really cool episode planned for the end of the year. Confirmed some more guests to talk about games and some more Gaiden episodes to hit on collecting and other 80/90's memories.

New video series for Back in my Play is coming tentatively called, “Retro First Takes” where I play old games for 1st time. If you listened to the episodes I was on with 8-4 Play Mark brought this up.

I hope to have the first video done tomorrow. Should be about 20-30 minutes long.

Yes Boss!

New video series for Back in my Play is coming tentatively called, “Retro First Takes” where I play old games for 1st time. If you listened to the episodes I was on with 8-4 Play Mark brought this up.

I hope to have the first video done tomorrow. Should be about 20-30 minutes long.

Nice!

Sounds like some PCE game playing os in order down the line!

Yes Boss!

Actually I have a lot of Genesis, NES, SNES stuff in the queue. I do have a bunch of PCE cards, but no system yet.

Oh for sure. Just something to think about down the line!

Also, I've got an extra RGB-modded Core Grafx I could let you borrow for a couple of months if needed.

It would be awesome to see games like Legendary Axe and Ninja Spirits covered by a first-time player!

Very late to the party, but im loving this Podcast, just recently heard the Mario 64/Waverace episode as well as the Resident Evil 1 and really really enjoyed them :), thanks guys, you make my commute bearable.

Teknoman

Heh thats what I was going to suggest. Its always cool to see videos of first time plays, especially since you can discover some new games for yourself.

Yes Boss!

Ha, that was great!

What a hell of a game to start off with. My only experience with Turrican is the recent Gunlord, which is hugely inspired.

Good lord at that music. Like, holy fucking shit!

Gonna buy this on VC once I get back from vacation. I never went with the SNES Turricans because they looked a bit boring. Mega looks a ton better.

And, that music.

Teknoman

Ha, that was great!

What a hell of a game to start off with. My only experience with Turrican is the recent Gunlord, which is hugely inspired.

Good lord at that music. Like, holy fucking shit!

Gonna buy this on VC once I get back from vacation. I never went with the SNES Turricans because they looked a bit boring. Mega looks a ton better.

And, that music.

Yup, stage 2-1 is awesome.

Top Bottom