• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Ha, that was great!

What a hell of a game to start off with. My only experience with Turrican is the recent Gunlord, which is hugely inspired.

Good lord at that music. Like, holy fucking shit!

Gonna buy this on VC once I get back from vacation. I never went with the SNES Turricans because they looked a bit boring. Mega looks a ton better.

And, that music.

Glad you liked it!

Yes Boss!

For the video series where I play games for the first time, how do you like the name, "Back in my Play Weekend Rental"?

I understand the idea...but it really implies these games are worth only "a rental." As in the old days when we would say "I'm not buying the game, it is a rental."

But it is your show so go with it if you like it! Like ten minutes into Mega Turrican it was pretty clear that that game needed to be bought by every single soul!

I understand the idea...but it really implies these games are worth only "a rental." As in the old days when we would say "I'm not buying the game, it is a rental."

But it is your show so go with it if you like it! Like ten minutes into Mega Turrican it was pretty clear that that game needed to be bought by every single soul!

Yeah, that makes sense. I am trying to tap into that feeling of going to a rental store and trying a game out for the first time.

Delt31

kevin - how did you find the two guys you do the show with? Together you guys are great but it's evident that you don't appear to know each other very well. just curious.

Latest Episode:
Bimp Gaiden: Secrets, Tips, and Tricks of Retro Collecting and GOTY (1:30:35)

For this side episode we talk about a wide range of retro collecting subjects. From how we organize our games, what we are currently collecting, and all of the tricks we use to get great deals on retro games. After that we discuss our top 3 games we played for the podcast and top 3 of 2013. We finish up the episode discussing the future of the podcast and what will be new in 2014.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
???

Teknoman

Game organization? lol I was about to ask some questions about how people are handling their collections, so this is perfect timing.

Harlock

I hear yesterday the game setup episodes. Did you know if the light gun pistol from Master System work with the CTR television from the 2000s era? That a thing emulation or retro compilations never can do. I love the Gangaster Town, Wanted and other cool light pistol games from Master System.

I hear yesterday the game setup episodes. Did you know if the light gun pistol from Master System work with the CTR television from the 2000s era? That a thing emulation or retro compilations never can do. I love the Gangaster Town, Wanted and other cool light pistol games from Master System.

The should work fine if it is a CRT.

Harlock

I read that some flat CRT will have a little of latency because they use a post processing filter. And this affect the light gun timing. Dont know if is true, false or case by case. Anyway, if one day you make an episoide about light gun games, will be good topic :)

I read that some flat CRT will have a little of latency because they use a post processing filter. And this affect the light gun timing. Dont know if is true, false or case by case. Anyway, if one day you make an episoide about light gun games, will be good topic :)

That's a really cool idea! I love light gun games.

I mentioned it at the end of the latest Back in My Play, but HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that tunes in. It has been a ton of fun to do. Been a crazy year for me, the podcast has been a huge positive that has helped me focus on the great things in life.

Again, thank you.

entremet

Good podcast, Coach.

Here's to another great year. My tastes are similar to yours and the next gen stuff just doesn't do it for me right now. I guess when they more quirky downloadable stuff.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is easily the most disc rot-fearing podcast I have ever listened to ;)

I don't think it's really an issue, personally. My father has all his CDs from the 80s, plays them constantly. Not one has rot. You don't hear widespread stories of peoples' discs rotting. I remember seeing an anecdote or so on Digital Press years ago where someone asked "is this disc rot?" but lord knows if it actually was that.

All my Sega CD games boot like a champ.

All things will go eventually (as will we :p) but I don't think the lifespan is 30 years. Considering the format itself is about that old, and reports of rot are nearly mythical, I'd say we have decades longer.

Great show though. I appreciate the perspective even if I'm not convinced.

Yes Boss!

Poor Kev was dumbstruck, DUMBSTRUCK at the appeal of the Virtual Boy! I'd love to have a full catalog. Only owned one for about a year with a couple games like Wario and Tennis. Some Nintendo heavy-hitters on that system made their entree. Plus, the inky-black (screw OLED!) is absolutely unmatched. Curiosity system, for sure.

Looking forwards to next year!

entremet

I don't think it's really an issue, personally. My father has all his CDs from the 80s, plays them constantly. Not one has rot. You don't hear widespread stories of peoples' discs rotting. I remember seeing an anecdote or so on Digital Press years ago where someone asked "is this disc rot?" but lord knows if it actually was that.

All things will go eventually (as will we :p) but I don't think the lifespan is 30 years. Considering the format itself is about that old, and reports of rot are nearly mythical, I'd say we have decades longer.

You should post your collection. You seem to have a big one, as you've mentioned you've been collecting for ages.

Haha, I may have been overdramatic...

Maybe it is just a bunch of crap, I just trust PCBs over discs. Also drive are more prone to failure. Again, I still will be buying discs soon.

PC Engine CDs....

Yes Boss!

Yeah, first. I heard of disc-rot was on this show (in the context of video-games)! I just just kinda go with it for fun on the show, but never been an issue for me since the eighties. Like. Zero issues.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
You should post your collection. You seem to have a big one, as you've mentioned you've been collecting for ages.

I may do that sometime, thanks :)

It's a pretty big collection but I bet it's still <1000 games. In real life that's a ton of games if you see them stacked up, but of course there are uber collectors who dwarf that.

Teknoman

Good podcast, Coach.

Here's to another great year. My tastes are similar to yours and the next gen stuff just doesn't do it for me right now. I guess when they more quirky downloadable stuff.

Yeah likewise. This is the first generation that I just havent been hit with the hype...aside from Nintendo stuff in general, but im a big N fanboy.

Discovering all this old school stuff for the first time/rediscovering is so much more interesting though. All my friends jumped ship already though lol. PS4 bound...which i'll be at some point of course, but i'm not rushing.

Yes Boss!

That is the gold standard for shooters on the Genesis for me. I like it better than IV or Aleste by quite a bit. Ridiculous music, too.

orient

Neo Member
Toy Story on Genesis is a pretty okay game. I encourage you to give it a try.

Definitely enjoyed me some Toy Story. The digitised characters and full colour images from the movie were pretty impressive back then. The Lion King was good too.

Speaking of licensed Mega Drive games, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie was a super fun co-op beat 'em up. It's no SoR2 but what is?

Definitely enjoyed me some Toy Story. The digitised characters and full colour images from the movie were pretty impressive back then. The Lion King was good too.

Speaking of licensed Mega Drive games, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie was a super fun co-op beat 'em up. It's no SoR2 but what is?

Final Fight? ;)

Why is everyone so mad on GAF? My Dreamcast had no problem connecting to Sega.net today. And I was playing 3D Mario on my N64 on Christmas Day.

tornjaw

Before anything, let me say that I've really been enjoying this podcast and that I find everyone's opinions and perspective insightful, intelligent, and fun. That being said:

Back In My Play started in June with a "promise" of weekly episodes. There's only 16 episodes and unless my math is wrong that means that there have been quite a few missed dates. But now a Retro First Takes/Weekend Rental series has been started. I haven't listened to them yet, I'm sure they're decent but where is the weekly BIMP?

I understand that Real Life will come up and prevent this podcast from happening, that's bound to happen but I'm looking for some consistency. Pick a podcast theme and go with it.

If this has been addressed in previous posts, I haven't read through all 23 pages.

In short: More BIMP on a schedule please.

Before anything, let me say that I've really been enjoying this podcast and that I find everyone's opinions and perspective insightful, intelligent, and fun. That being said:

Back In My Play started in June with a "promise" of weekly episodes. There's only 16 episodes and unless my math is wrong that means that there have been quite a few missed dates. But now a Retro First Takes/Weekend Rental series has been started. I haven't listened to them yet, I'm sure they're decent but where is the weekly BIMP?

I understand that Real Life will come up and prevent this podcast from happening, that's bound to happen but I'm looking for some consistency. Pick a podcast theme and go with it.

If this has been addressed in previous posts, I haven't read through all 23 pages.

Glad you like the podcast!

We decided to go with something closer to an every other week schedule because Josh got a really time consuming job as a professor and my dad got very sick (I am not going to go into detail but I am spending more time with him).

Point is taken through, I will have a Mod change the title. The videos I can do solo and don't take a ton of time to produce, I hope you check them out.

turnbuckle

What's more retro gaming than missng/pushing back launch dates? I mean, I love the podcast and could always go for more but I think bi-weekly is probably good. Especially considering some of the games they cover they have to go back and play through first. Forcing a weekly schedule could make each episode feel rushed/forced.

One thing I never end up doing though is checking out the websites of these podcasts. If there was a way to layer in the website on itunes while listening to an episode that'd be great, but I basically listen passively and only concern myself with what shows up in iTunes. I know I miss a lot of things this way, same with all the web related stuff I've missed over the years on retronauts. I should check out the site though, but watching someone else play retro games makes me want to go spend a lot of money and play them myself :p

I like the "weekend rental" idea. This isn't a review site so I don't think of the term as a slight to classic games. 95% of the gaming I did as a kid was through rentals because I only ever got games for Christmas or birthdays. But my brother and I each got to pick a game every weekend to rent. Tons of great gaming memories. I loved the mention of saving a game to the third/last file on a rented game hoping that would mean it wouldn't get saved over. I totally did that too. I think another kid in my town had the same idea, though, and there was a period where he/she and I would basically overwrite each other's files whenever we'd rent the game. This person (who went by the name "Ace") had very similar gaming interests to me apparently. It's also the reason why I never finished earthbound or lufia 2 even though I own complete versions of each now lol.

What's more retro gaming than missng/pushing back launch dates? I mean, I love the podcast and could always go for more but I think bi-weekly is probably good. Especially considering some of the games they cover they have to go back and play through first. Forcing a weekly schedule could make each episode feel rushed/forced.

One thing I never end up doing though is checking out the websites of these podcasts. If there was a way to layer in the website on itunes while listening to an episode that'd be great, but I basically listen passively and only concern myself with what shows up in iTunes. I know I miss a lot of things this way, same with all the web related stuff I've missed over the years on retronauts. I should check out the site though, but watching someone else play retro games makes me want to go spend a lot of money and play them myself :p

I like the "weekend rental" idea. This isn't a review site so I don't think of the term as a slight to classic games. 95% of the gaming I did as a kid was through rentals because I only ever got games for Christmas or birthdays. But my brother and I each got to pick a game every weekend to rent. Tons of great gaming memories. I loved the mention of saving a game to the third/last file on a rented game hoping that would mean it wouldn't get saved over. I totally did that too. I think another kid in my town had the same idea, though, and there was a period where he/she and I would basically overwrite each other's files whenever we'd rent the game. This person (who went by the name "Ace") had very similar gaming interests to me apparently. It's also the reason why I never finished earthbound or lufia 2 even though I own complete versions of each now lol.

Trying to finish RPGs during a weekend rental was the worst. I think it might be one of the reasons I still don't really like the genre.

Top Bottom