• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Neifirst

Thanks! I'm afraid Nintendo is going into ultra-safe mode now, though. Ugh.

Did you ever play the Wave Race-inspired game on Wii Sports Resort?

Nope, never played Resort, but I did play a whole lot of Blue Storm when I had a backward-compatible Wii and a Wavebird. The new Kinect Sports Rivals demo on Xbox One has a gorgeous Wave Race-like game, but unfortunately it's only motion-controlled.

Stocked up on some more stuff for the show.

Here is some great stuff I got at a local retro shop I found. All for $30, totally reasonable for a local shop.

And some more stuff from ebay:

Teknoman

I want to see what you think about the McDonalds game. I know its by Treasure, and i'm a big fan of them in general...but I just heard about that recently.

turnbuckle

Trying to finish RPGs during a weekend rental was the worst. I think it might be one of the reasons I still don't really like the genre.

I love rpgs but it might be why I rarely finish them. The number of rpgs I played 40+ hours of and never finished is embarrassing.

entremet

EWJ was a very fun game. Haven't played it ages, though. I wonder if it holds up.

All those Dave Perry games have those watery controls due to the number of animation frames.

Also that water level is one of the worst ever. Maybe 2nd to TMNT NES.

Yes Boss!

I just spent $300 on this. Only good things can come of it.

Only good things.

Lots of recommendations in the other thread. I would start with Legendary Axe and Ninja Spirit on Hu and Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder on CD. All on import as cheaper. For north american CD releases try to go for Ys I and II release and Exile.

All should be a good start and fairly cheap.

Only good things.

Lots of recommendations in the other thread. I would start with Legendary Axe and Ninja Spirit on Hu and Winds of Thunder and Gate of Thunder on CD. All on import as cheaper. For north american CD releases try to go for Ys I and II release and Exile.

All should be a good start and fairly cheap.

Keep them coming! Need to have some games to pick up in Japan.

Yes Boss!

Also, don't know what you requested from Doujindance as far as RGB cable. He does Euro Scart as default. You have to request JP21 or use a simple 15$ adapter to get rhe Scart to play on your Framemeister.

Good pick up on Winds/Lords of Thunder. Prepare to have your mind blown with the music!

Teknoman

Wouldnt it be better to get the Gate of Thunder 3 in 1 CD? The one with Bonk 1, 2, Gate + Bomberman hidden?

I dunno if its cheaper than the stand alone JP release, but it seems like it would be better value.

Also, don't know what you requested from Doujindance as far as RGB cable. He does Euro Scart as default. You have to request JP21 or use a simple 15$ adapter to get rhe Scart to play on your Framemeister.

Good pick up on Winds/Lords of Thunder. Prepare to have your mind blown with the music!

Thank you! I just messaged him about it. Worst case where can I get the cable?

Yes Boss!

Looks like I missed him. He shipped fast. Ordered these. Hoping to have some PC Engine gaming in the next week!

He does ship fast!

If you got SCART it is better in the long run as it is easier and cheaper to go SCART RGB for multiple systems. If you are handy with a solder (who is not?) then it is a very simple rewire in the roomy plug if you want to go that route.

Love it that you have a PCE now. Gonna be fun for the shows! I was playing PCE games all day yeaterday....Rondo, Alien Crush, Final Soldier. Amazing games. PCE/TG-16 is my favorite 16-bit system out of all of them.

New episode of the Weekend Rental:

Screen-Shot-2013-12-31-at-10.33.12-AM-300x168.png

http://backinmyplay.com/weekend-rental-clayfighter-snes/

orient

Neo Member
That was utterly terrible -- not the video but the game. The sad thing is, they probably sold a lot of copies across SNES and Genesis, riding the coattails of the digitised fighting game boom of '93 - '94 lol Rise of the Robots and Primal Rage are also offenders.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
If you can find Gun*Nac for the famicom, you should buy it, especially if you like shoot em ups.
I bought it when I was there for cheap. Must have been 1000 yen or less. Quite a steal when the NES version is so expensive.

That was utterly terrible -- not the video but the game. The sad thing is, they probably sold a lot of copies across SNES and Genesis, riding the coattails of the digitised fighting game boom of '93 - '94 lol Rise of the Robots and Primal Rage are also offenders.

Holy shit, rise of the robots. Luckily I never played that when it came out.

orient

Neo Member
I remember thinking the blue cyborg on the cover was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and then I played the game.

I don't know if this is retro enough for this thread, but I just snagged Ys: The Oath in Felghana in a flash sale on Steam. Never played a Ys game before and had to pick between Oath and Origin. Decided on Oath because apparently there's more visual variety. Looking forward to it.

Teknoman

I remember thinking the blue cyborg on the cover was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and then I played the game.

I don't know if this is retro enough for this thread, but I just snagged Ys: The Oath in Felghana in a flash sale on Steam. Never played a Ys game before and had to pick between Oath and Origin. Decided on Oath because apparently there's more visual variety. Looking forward to it.

It is, partly because everyone should play as much Ys as possible.

orient

Neo Member
The first time I came across Ys was the SMS version. I didn't play it but the logo really stuck in my head for some reason. I still think it looks awesome. I see now that they spelt it "Y's" on the SMS cart lol 8-bit localisation.

True, but the SMS or TG-16/PCE I and II is the golden standard to start with.

The first time I came across Ys was the SMS version. I didn't play it but the logo really stuck in my head for some reason. I still think it looks awesome. I see now that they spelt it "Y's" on the SMS cart lol 8-bit localisation.

I think I talked to CJ or Greg about this off the air, but I just can get 1+2 to click with me. I LOVED Ys 7. Every second of it. I have MoC on Vita saved for my flight back to Japan.

I have never played all the way through it, always lost interest after an hour or so. Good to have a reason to make it all the way through.

Yes Boss!

Nice, picked a shooter for the first one. I'll have to watch it once I get back as I barely have internet service for the next few weeks.

GAve up on this gen? Including Wii U? ;-(

Nice, picked a shooter for the first one. I'll have to watch it once I get back as I barely have internet service for the next few weeks.

GAve up on this gen? Including Wii U? ;-(

Really been put off with micro transactions and digital rights. I miiss the says when developers and publishers had to give you the best product before release for your $50 or $60. Not parts of a game with DLC, or the need for updates. And I just find the older stuff more enjoyable and fun.

Top Bottom