• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Here is an update of our next three episodes (Dates subject to change)

• January 12th: Super Mario Brothers 2 with CJ of Player One
  • January 19th: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (on PC Engine) with Kurt Kalada of Hardcoregaming101
  • January 26th: Milon's Secret Castle with Jonathan Metts of Nintendo World Report

And working on dates with Mike Mika, Steve Lin, and a few others. Excited for the next few months!

Also I head out to Japan on February 24th so I will try to record something with the 8-4 guys.

Goldmund

Here is an update of our next three episodes (Dates subject to change)

• January 12th: Super Mario Brothers 2 with CJ of Player One
  • January 19th: Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (on PC Engine) with Kurt Kalada of Hardcoregaming101
  • January 26th: Milon's Secret Castle with Jonathan Metts of Nintendo World Report

And working on dates with Mike Mika, Steve Lin, and a few others. Excited for the next few months!

Also I head out to Japan on February 24th so I will try to record something with the 8-4 guys.
Oh, cool!

So I was lapsed listener, forgive me guys. Just Marathoned it though and completely caught up.
Once again, thanks for the excellent show VitaBros!

<3<3<3

Ramune

I've been listening to the podcast since the beginning of this month! Awesome job guys! I've been digging into more retro territory as the years go on and podcasts like these are perfect for both games I missed or picked up on my radar!

I think Kevin swore off modern consoles. Maybe he kept the Vitas?

I've been going back and forth between new and old shows and I believe he received a Blue Vita-1000 as a gift, bought a Red one, then bought a red and blue to sell on eBay, ultimately keeping the initial Red one. IC(ould)BW(rong) though. He does play PS1 and PSP games on it quite a bit and proclaimed the virtues of this in regards to retro compilations and remakes.

Yes Boss!

I am sadly not digging SMB2... Kind of a surprise to me.

I played a couple hours on thanksgiving. We were drinking and figured we would beat it but gave up. Too hard (when drunk, at least). I still love the game though I've played it enough over the tears to say I'm pretty much done. The All Stars port is my preferred version.

Good on the title line-up and guests! Also, played and beat Rondo ovet the holidays so looking forward to that episode! Game still got nithing on Super Castlevania IV, though! Second-best vania!

Latest Episode:
Episode 16: Super Mario Bros 2 (1:33:38)

Chris Johnston from the Player One Podcast returns to look back and revisit Super Mario Brothers 2 on the Nintendo Entertainment System. How has it aged and does it earn the right to be a mainline SMB game? Also we discuss the Turbografx-16, NES Remix, and the recently announced Playstation NOW.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:
Dracula X (PC Engine CD) with Kurt Kalada of HardcoreGaming101.net

Just glanced at eBay for a moment

Man&#8230;

Fuck the cartridge market. Prices are really getting out of hand :(

Anyway, what do you guys think of the Retron 5?
I figured if I was ever gonna give the retro scene somewhat of a chance and cut the chord with shitty Nintendo Virtual Console, it may be the most convenient/cost effective bet.

Next Episode:
Dracula X (PC Engine CD) with Kurt Kalada of HardcoreGaming101.net

SNAAAAAAAP!

Just glanced at eBay for a moment

Man…

Fuck the cartridge market. Prices are really getting out of hand :(

Anyway, what do you guys think of the Retron 5?
I figured if I was ever gonna give the retro scene somewhat of a chance and cut the chord with shitty Nintendo Virtual Console, it may be the most convenient/cost effective bet.

I know there are issues with some games as the console is actually emulating some of the hardware of the consoles. You can always buy one from amazon and return it if you don't like it.

Personally, I would rather have the original hardware. Cart based systems are like tanks. You might just want to replace the 72-pin connector of the NES, but that is cheap and easy.

Flights are all booked to Japan for two weeks from Feb 24-March 10. Will try to get the 8-4 guys and some other Japanese theme episodes in.

Yes Boss!

Flights are all booked to Japan for two weeks from Feb 24-March 10. Will try to get the 8-4 guys and some other Japanese theme episodes in.

I'll be there from 4-11 March. Be sure to stay in contact in case there is an opportunity for a chance meeting. I'll be at the Park Hyatt the first two days, kyoto the middle three, and in akihabara the last few days. Going game shopping the 9-11 in akihabara.

I'll be there from 4-11 March. Be sure to stay in contact in case there is an opportunity for a chance meeting. I'll be at the Park Hyatt the first two days, kyoto the middle three, and in akihabara the last few days. Going game shopping the 9-11 in akihabara.

Cool will let you know!

Dracula X is so fucking good. Compared to the PSP game it just feels better and looks great.

The soundtrack might be in my top 5 all time now. Never heard the CD soundtrack of the PC Engine CD game until now. If you have a Wii, get this on VC asap.

Dracula X is so fucking good. Compared to the PSP game it just feels better and looks great.

The soundtrack might be in my top 5 all time now. Never heard the CD soundtrack of the PC Engine CD game until now. If you have a Wii, get this on VC asap.

You talking about the 2.5D Remake or the port that came with it?

This game is a prime example of the vital role music and sound effects play in a challenging game. You will hear the same tracks over, and over, and over again as you replay levels and die over and over again.

entremet

This game is a prime example of the vital role music and sound effects play in a challenging game. You will hear the same tracks over, and over, and over again as you replay levels and die over and over again.

It's a fun game. Amazing soundtrack as well. The soundtrack is on iTunes as well--it's the PSP version soundtrack but it contains all the original PCCD tracks as well.

Need to connect my Wii this weekend to play with you all.

It's a fun game. Amazing soundtrack as well. The soundtrack is on iTunes as well--it's the PSP version soundtrack but it contains all the original PCCD tracks as well.

Need to connect my Wii this weekend to play with you all.

Thanks for the heads up. Need to buy that right now!

Hmm I can't find it. What is the album called?

Teknoman

If only more developers realized this today...

Gotta watch that weekend rental!

Thought I'd give this a proper go so I can relate more to the upcoming podcast. Man it looks glorious on a CRT, and it feels like it controls far more tightly in comparison to the PSP remake I have played before.

iD8XXIPCJhXOb.jpg

Thought I'd give this a proper go so I can relate more to the upcoming podcast. Man it looks glorious on a CRT, and it feels like it controls far more tightly in comparison to the PSP remake I have played before.

iD8XXIPCJhXOb.jpg

You are spot on with the controls. And it does look great on the VC! I wish the 3DS VC library wasn't so limited in the US.

DTU

Banned
Anyone else find it disturbing and disingenuous that the host never owned SMB2 nor LoZ?

AND he called it "Game Boy Advanced"?

I mean, c'mon. What are we doing, here.

Anyone else find it disturbing and disingenuous that the host never owned SMB2 nor LoZ?

AND he called it "Game Boy Advanced"?

I mean, c'mon. What are we doing, here.

I grew up in the time of rentals and my family was lower class. I was lucky to get two games a year and I wasn't usually the one to pick them.

And I corrected myself on the GBA thing during the show, it is mispronunciation. If those are the two biggest issues you have with the show then I am a happy camper. :)

DTU

Banned
I grew up in the time of rentals and my family was lower class. I was lucky to get two games a year and I wasn't usually the one to pick them.

And I corrected myself on the GBA thing during the show, it is mispronunciation. If those are the two biggest issues you have with the show then I am a happy camper. :)

I also rented games. I didn't get a NES until 1989. The thing is, I was alive when SMB2 came out, and you weren't. That's why I don't buy that you're nostalgic about the NES, since you were, what, 2 years old when the Super NES came out?

Neifirst

I also rented games. I didn't get a NES until 1989. The thing is, I was alive when SMB2 came out, and you weren't. That's why I don't buy that you're nostalgic about the NES, since you were, what, 2 years old when the Super NES came out?

I get what you're saying, but is there really any need to come across so hostile? Maybe appreciation for old-school games is a better descriptor than nostalgia.

orient

Neo Member

Man, you'd be positively disturbed by all the Nintendo games I didn't own :p

I only ever played NES round a friend's house, and the only games he owned were Super Mario Bros. and Boulder Dash. The first time I played a SNES was in a hospital. Best asthma attack ever.

I played a lot of Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart and Street Fighter II after that, but I never owned them.

Having a hard time understanding your point. I was born in January 1986, so I was almost 6 when the SNES was under the Christmas tree in 1991 :)

And people didn't just play games during their release window back then. There was no commonly used internet and we just played what we could rent from a store or borrow from a friend.

Like Yesboss said, this is a zone of positivity. No worries if you don't want to discuss stuff or listen to the podcast. Different strokes for different folks.

I love doing the podcast, if others can enjoy listening as well then that is a nice bonus!

Top Bottom