• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:

Steve Lin, super collector and game preservationist joins us to revisit Bonk’s Adventure. We discuss the cool history of Bonk and our memories of the mascot that went head to head with Sonic and Mario. And we of course replay Bonk with fresh impressions to see how it has help up. We wrap up with some bonus retro collecting discussion with Steve.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Alright, I've got a ton of driving to do today so it's time for me to get in on this. Downloaded EP 0, 17, and 18 for now. Looking forward to hearing some nice discussion on these classics!

SuperPac

"You can't throw a virtual console game" - haha!

Either I never rented Milon's Secret Castle back in the day or I've blocked it from my memory. Still got about 30 mins left but great episode so far. :D

Teknoman

Yeah... im not one to give up on a challenging game after a little game time...but Milon really didnt grab me at all. Now the super famicom sequel(?) looks like more fun.

EDIT: Magician Lord is awesome. And yes play Crystalis. Give Willow a shot too. Its by Capcom, and believe it or not, its actually a pretty good action rpg.

stewy

Yeah... im not one to give up on a challenging game after a little game time...but Milon really didnt grab me at all. Now the super famicom sequel(?) looks like more fun.

EDIT: Magician Lord is awesome. And yes play Crystalis. Give Willow a shot too. Its by Capcom, and believe it or not, its actually a pretty good action rpg.

Crystalis and Willow are so great.

Nice! Let us know your thoughts!
I listened to the Castlevania episode and the Milon's Secret Castle episode. Both were great, you have definitely earned yourself a new avid listener!

I never really got into Castlevania until the GBA games but I did pick up Dracula X Chronicles back when it hit on PSP. I had some good fun with the remake and finished it once but I never bothered much with the original (although I did unlock it). I remember really liking the look of it as well as the old-school soundtrack but like always I got distracted by something else before putting too much time into it. One thing I do recall is the bosses being more difficult in the original TurboGrafx version.

Anyway, listening to that episode really makes me want to go back and give the original version a proper shot. I've always loved the IGAvania games but I missed out on a lot of the classic games because I never owned a NES. It was very interesting to hear some informed opinions heaping so much praise on Rondo of Blood, I never would have known that it was considered one of the best classic Castlevania games if not for this podcast.

Semi-related, how do you feel about the GBA/DS games? I think they are all pretty phenomenal but Dawn of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia are my favorites. It actually makes me a little sad to think about those games because they caused me to go into the 3DS expecting three more fantastic IGAvania games. Why would you set that glorious precedent and then pull a Lords of Shadow: Mirror of Fate? Oh well, haha.

Also semi-related (this post is getting way too long), is Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth any good? That seems like it could be a nice dose of classic Castlevania and $10 doesn't seem like a bad price.

As for the Milon's Secret Castle episode, I am a big fan of Jonny's work and I trust his opinion as always but I am not convinced MSC is a game I need to look into, haha. It definitely sounds like one of those "you had to be there" games to me. I'll stick with my modern obtuse games like Dark Souls, thank you very much.

CV The Adventure Rebirth is pretty great for the price, and it plays quite a bit like Rondo (though obviously not as good). It has almost nothing in common with the poor Game Boy titles.

I listened to the Castlevania episode and the Milon's Secret Castle episode. Both were great, you have definitely earned yourself a new avid listener!

As for the Milon's Secret Castle episode, I am a big fan of Jonny's work and I trust his opinion as always but I am not convinced MSC is a game I need to look into, haha. It definitely sounds like one of those "you had to be there" games to me. I'll stick with my modern obtuse games like Dark Souls, thank you very much.

So glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully how much we love these games comes across on the audio..
with the exception of Milon's SC :)

I am going to be interviewing Steve Lin on arcade games, collecting, rare game auctions, preserving game history, and more this weekend. Any questions you want me to ask him?

Lombaszko

The Milon's Secret Castle episode was great! I remember my aunt had it at her house, because what kid would have that game by choice?
I totally forgot about the special music boxes and the falling notes room, so thanks for mentioning it. Instant nostalgia!

Love this show, I noticed a couple of episodes back you guys mentioned another retro podcast called Retronauts so I decided to check out a few episodes. Dont want to come off as an ass, but honestly, they sound like they are getting payed to be there, no passion at all.

Completely different from Back In my Play, Im glad to have this one as well.

Not sure if you are taking requests, but I would love to see episodes on the old Star Wars Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

Happy you are enjoying the show! We love this stuff and I am glad to make the time to plan and coordinate the show. I wouldn't do any of this if I wasn't having a blast.

Check out the older retronauts episodes from 1up.com. Lots of gems in there!

As for Dark forces, hell yes! Played the crap out of that on my Packard Bell with 100mhz Pentium 1 processor!

Love this show, I noticed a couple of episodes back you guys mentioned another retro podcast called Retronauts so I decided to check out a few episodes. Dont want to come off as an ass, but honestly, they sound like they are getting payed to be there, no passion at all.

Completely different from Back In my Play, Im glad to have this one as well.

Not sure if you are taking requests, but I would love to see episodes on the old Star Wars Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games.

Yes Boss!

Finally got to listen to the Milon episode. Good stuff. Especially since I'm a NWR listener.

I love Doremi Fantasy so I'm thinking I'm going to be giving Milon a go on VC!

Finally got to listen to the Milon episode. Good stuff. Especially since I'm a NWR listener.

I love Doremi Fantasy so I'm thinking I'm going to be giving Milon a go on VC!

Are you sure you want to do that??? You could buy some Neo Geo stuff for 10x that and have a great game :)

Yort

I listened to the latest episode after being pointed to it by RFN. I enjoyed it, and will definitely go back through the previous episodes.

I'll second the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight recommendation, it's a great series.

I listened to the latest episode after being pointed to it by RFN. I enjoyed it, and will definitely go back through the previous episodes.

I'll second the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight recommendation, it's a great series.

Thanks for joining in; we love RFN and Jonny, kindred spirits and whatnot.

Teknoman

I say an episode on Batman games would be nice (specifically so people can see how awesome Batman NES, Batman: Return of the Joker NES, and Batman & Robin Genesis are).

Teknoman- Saw you got your OMEGA! Have fun!

As for the interview with shadowkn55, the creator of the Omega, that will run on Friday or Saturday. This will allow us to have a 1 episode buffer so we are weekly for the foreseeable future.

Teknoman

Teknoman- Saw you got your OMEGA! Have fun!

As for the interview with shadowkn55, the creator of the Omega, that will run on Friday or Saturday. This will allow us to have a 1 episode buffer so we are weekly for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, really going to get into it, having the day off and all.

Batman and Robin Genesis is incredibly awesome. I think you're on to something.

Yeah, honestly I cant believe people put the SNES version at a higher value (both price and fun wise), but maybe thats a good thing at the moment. Makes it more accessible.

I am so envious of your setup for retro games. I'll tell you one thing, Metal Slug looks a heck of a lot worse on the PSP...

It is an investment for sure, but I am skipping next gen. And you can spread out the purchases over time.

The framemeister is a must own for serious retro gamers unless you have a crt.

Reminder I am interviewing Steve Lin on Saturday about crazy game auctions, preservation, collecting, and more! Have any questions or topics for Steve?

mcw

Just found out about this show. Really good so far! Episode 17 in particular was a treat. Apologies for not asking first, but I used a two-minute clip from that episode to promote your show at the end of the latest episode of my own podcast-- I thought the Castlevania discussion was particularly good, especially considering the lengths that Kevin went to in order to play it; and since one of my listeners is a huge PC Engine nerd, I figured it'd be a good selling point.

Yes Boss!

Cool. Been waiting for this episode!

It would be cool to do a future interview with Christophe from Analogue as well.

Getting Milon this weekend as I got a free $5 kickback on Wii U Premium. Getting in on classic Wii VC.

Delt31

Kevin - I could tell you were sick during that recent episode as your voice was diff and in my opinion one of the best things about the podcast is your voice/presentation. Your podcast is extremely catchy/interesting b/c the stories you tell about your fam and experience with games is similar to mine. I do think having trey would be good too btw but the extra guest each session is also good.

I'm in my 30s too btw and can understand the struggle of work and games. I really look forward to your sunday updates to listen in the car to work and think you guys do a great job. I hate apple iTunes but went on there just to fill out a review for your guys. btw - keep on making fun of josh it's hilarious. I think he's good too but you guys are very diff and the back and forth really works.

Delt31- You are right, was coughing like crazy. Quick to the mute button!

Thanks for the feedback and glad you like the show! Really appreciate the review :D

Kevin - I could tell you were sick during that recent episode as your voice was diff and in my opinion one of the best things about the podcast is your voice/presentation. Your podcast is extremely catchy/interesting b/c the stories you tell about your fam and experience with games is similar to mine. I do think having trey would be good too btw but the extra guest each session is also good.

I'm in my 30s too btw and can understand the struggle of work and games. I really look forward to your sunday updates to listen in the car to work and think you guys do a great job. I hate apple iTunes but went on there just to fill out a review for your guys. btw - keep on making fun of josh it's hilarious. I think he's good too but you guys are very diff and the back and forth really works.

You've opened the floodgates for a legendary back and forth insult session next episode!

Thanks for listening, by the way.

Reminder I am interviewing Steve Lin today for about crazy game auctions, preservation, collecting, etc! Have any questions or topics for him?

Delt31

You've opened the floodgates for a legendary back and forth insult session next episode!

Thanks for listening, by the way.

btw I totally agree with you Josh on the virtual boy obsession. I know it's wrong too but for some reason I want one. Kevin's purchase of that turbo gfx CD is nuts though. Just for one game? I can maybe understand it if you can't play the game elsewhere (just did that for an xbox one due to killer instinct) but you can play dracula on Wii U. I know it's not the same but cmon now.

Speaking of killer instinct, maybe a future episode??? ; )

Delt31

Reminder I am interviewing Steve Lin today for about crazy game auctions, preservation, collecting, etc! Have any questions or topics for him?

I would like his thoughts on using ebay as a true means of selling considering so many of these auctions end high but no one pays. Case in point - that recent nintendo cartridge that went for 99k but the guy didn't pay. sure made news but with no money exchanged what's the point and better yet what's the true value.

On a complete side note, I'm from NY and we pronounce it "Ma-rio" not "Mar"-io (which I believe is the correct way). That's why I loved the commercial you had where the officially guy called it the way I do. I like it better. Def an east coast thing as Josh pointed out.

btw I totally agree with you Josh on the virtual boy obsession. I know it's wrong too but for some reason I want one. Kevin's purchase of that turbo gfx CD is nuts though. Just for one game? I can maybe understand it if you can't play the game elsewhere (just did that for an xbox one due to killer instinct) but you can play dracula on Wii U. I know it's not the same but cmon now.

Ooohhhh killer instinct would be fun. I need to get the n64 version.

I would like his thoughts on using ebay as a true means of selling considering so many of these auctions end high but no one pays. Case in point - that recent nintendo cartridge that went for 99k but the guy didn't pay. sure made news but with no money exchanged what's the point and better yet what's the true value.

On a complete side note, I'm from NY and we pronounce it "Ma-rio" not "Mar"-io (which I believe is the correct way). That's why I loved the commercial you had where the officially guy called it the way I do. I like it better. Def an east coast thing as Josh pointed out.

Good question!

Teknoman

Nah that pc engine was for many awesome games. Blazing lazers, Legendary axe series, Bonk series, Lords of Thunder, Gate of thunder, Star soldier series, Air Zonk, Legend of Heroes, Spriggan, Ninja Spirit, and more.

Yes im biased lol.

Top Bottom