• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Latest Episode:
Bimp Gaiden: Mike Mika

Mike Mika is the embodiment of why I love talking about games. You will hear about his history with game development starting at the Game Boy, his massive video game collection, his favorite game memories, and more. Also learn how I stole from Mike when I was 10-years-old...

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Phatcorns

Just started listening to this podcast, and I really like it! Really great concept and really nice stories and execution. I don't know how you handle guests and such, but I would love to be on to do a Yoshi's Island episode if you guys are up for that kind of thing. I was listening to your Super Mario World one and I was thinking about how much I love Yoshi's Island and how perfect that game is.

Anyway, I got some good equipment for recording (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ons4LMCYVao is the latest thing I've done, I did most of the engineering and I'm the person who speaks first) and just thought that would be fun. Either way, thanks for the good podcast and looking forward to hearing more in the future.

orient

Neo Member
Really enjoyed the Bonk episode! Steve Lin seems like a top dude.

Bonk's character design has to be one of the most unappealing of that era. Maybe the mascot should have been a dinosaur wearing a hat, because there's nothing appealing about a fat-headed baby with a strange look of anxiety on his face. Even Wonder Boy was a cooler cave kid.

Really enjoyed the Bonk episode! Steve Lin seems like a top dude.

Bonk's character design has to be one of the most unappealing of that era. Maybe the mascot should have been a dinosaur wearing a hat, because there's nothing appealing about a fat-headed baby with a strange look of anxiety on his face. Even Wonder Boy was a cooler cave kid.

Good points, glad you enjoyed it! Wonder Boy is pretty cool looking, I picked up Wonder Boy in Monster world a few months back.

huxley00

Your podcast is so so good, thank you for making it! I'm a big fan of retro gaming and really enjoy all the work you guys put into it. Sadly, most retro gaming podcasts suffer from the following problems

1. They don't actually play the games.
2. No one knows much about the games they are talking about.
3. No one seems to be enjoying themselves.

You guys obviously spend a lot of time playing these games (even the terrible ones, like Milons Secret Castle). You also spend a fair amount of time researching.

I guess the other thing I really like is that you guys talk about games that are often skipped in other podcasts. Even if they aren't quite as famous or quite as good as some of the triple A classics, I love to hear about them. A lot of them I haven't played and really don't know much about (like Bonk) but I enjoy hearing about them from people who do care and have a passion.

I hope you guys are still having fun at episode 100, doing a great job so far, thanks!

Teknoman

bonk-big.png

The NA cover art looks funny, but his in game sprite isnt that bad.

huxley00

Requests? Huh...well there was this one title I played all the time as a kid, some say its pretty underrated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xexyz

Xexyz for the NES. Pretty good action adventure by Hudson Soft. I played probably 100-200 hours of it. A mix between enjoying the game and not having any other games I believe. Worth checking out a bit.

I also had a 3do back when. Star Control 2 was simply fantastic, still holds up really well today (and I rarely hear anyone talk about it).

I'd mention more 3do classics but it was a very very thin library. The Horde was quite good (starring Kirk Cameron in the FMV sequences).

Best part of the system was the graphics, going to your friends house to play Road Rash on the Genesis and then having them come over and play it on the 3do was a mind blowing experience. Lets not forget the Soundgarden soundtrack haha.

Requests? Huh...well there was this one title I played all the time as a kid, some say its pretty underrated

Xexyz for the NES. Pretty good action adventure by Hudson Soft. I played probably 100-200 hours of it. A mix between enjoying the game and not having any other games I believe. Worth checking out a bit.

I also had a 3do back when. Star Control 2 was simply fantastic, still holds up really well today (and I rarely hear anyone talk about it).

I'd mention more 3do classics but it was a very very thin library. The Horde was quite good (starring Kirk Cameron in the FMV sequences).

Best part of the system was the graphics, going to your friends house to play Road Rash on the Genesis and then having them come over and play it on the 3do was a mind blowing experience. Lets not forget the Soundgarden soundtrack haha.

I could never forget anything Soundgaden in the 90s. Will look up the NES game you mentioned.

Teknoman

lol yeah chalk another one up for "Angry American Boxart". Actually kind of reminds me of Megaman 4 box art.

You guys should check out Legendary Axe on TG16/PCengine or Jewel Master on the Genesis.

Yes Boss!

I guess the other thing I really like is that you guys talk about games that are often skipped in other podcasts. Even if they aren't quite as famous or quite as good as some of the triple A classics, I love to hear about them. A lot of them I haven't played and really don't know much about (like Bonk) but I enjoy hearing about them from people who do care and have a passion.

I like the way Kevin gives a heads-up on the coming week as well. I always try to play a little of something that they are going to talk about. Often times it is a good excuse to revisit games I'e not played for two decades.

Podcast has really developed into something quite good in so few of episodes!

I like the way Kevin gives a heads-up on the coming week as well. I always try to play a little of something that they are going to talk about. Often times it is a good excuse to revisit games I'e not played for two decades.

Podcast has really developed into something quite good in so few of episodes!

It makes me so happy to hear that. :D

orient

Neo Member
1. They don't actually play the games.

This is the key factor. I understand it's difficult to find the time to play a game on top of recording a podcast, so respect to Kevin and Josh for putting in the effort. It's so much better than listening to people who only have vague recollections of the game, or have only played the first level or whatever.

If I was going to make a suggestion for the cast, it'd be to somehow make the first segment, the history of the game, a bit more conversational. It's a bit weird going from the introductions to (usually) just Kevin reading off a history of the game for a solid few minutes.

Apart from that, I think the structure of the show is perfect.

This is the key factor. I understand it's difficult to find the time to play a game on top of recording a podcast, so respect to Kevin and Josh for putting in the effort. It's so much better than listening to people who only have vague recollections of the game, or have only played the first level or whatever.

If I was going to make a suggestion for the cast, it'd be to somehow make the first segment, the history of the game, a bit more conversational. It's a bit weird going from the introductions to (usually) just Kevin reading off a history of the game for a solid few minutes.

Apart from that, I think the structure of the show is perfect.

That is one of the reasons we are going to alternate between games and interviews. Makes the schedule manageable and you will get some really cool interviews in between!

As for the first segment, will see what I can do with it. It is really just a bunch of stats to set the stage for the game's discussion, the main reason I try to get through it asap.

"A mix between enjoying the game and not having any other games I believe."

Haha, I love that statement. So much truth. I can think of few other reasons why I've finished Super Mario Land so many times.

Haha, I love that statement. So much truth. I can think of few other reasons why I've finished Super Mario Land so many times.

I think that's how it was for a lot of us. It is why I was able to beat Home Alone 2 and played a ton of Clayfighter.

I think that's how it was for a lot of us. It is why I was able to beat Home Alone 2 and played a ton of Clayfighter.

Load up the thread before bed.
See Kevin talking about Clayfighter.
Go to sleep peacefully, knowing that in a world filled with change...some things stay the same.

huxley00

So true, games could be pretty bad, but if its all you had, you really just made due. I can't even imagine playing through trash as an adult. I remember renting some truly terrible games as well, like Back to the Future...you had to play it, you kind of hated it but you had no choice.

With no internet or other social mediums, you weren't really able to validate your feelings about hating a game either. If you didn't like a game, you thought that you might just be playing it wrong or just looking at it the wrong way. You had no place to go to see how others felt. Validation is probably the most important step in disliking something. If you dislike something, you might feel weird about disliking it...until you find out someone else hates it, then the true anger can flow (ala TMNT seaweed stage or that damnable Eathworm Jim submarine level).

Jumped back on the Neo Geo Pocket train. Bought the Sonic bundle at launch. Also have a second unit (silver) coming with Sonic and Gal fighters that I just bought today.

So plan on a NGPC episode soon :)

I received a few emails this week about how you can support the show. The best way is to post reviews on itunes if you haven't already. If you have a second I would really appreciate it!

Chairhome

I am interviewing Mike Mika tomorrow for the podcast. Have any questions about game collecting, history, auctions, retro stuff, etc, post them here.

For reference this is Mike's collection a few years ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI5L4xENXVs

Also you may know him as the dad that hacked Donkey Kong so his daughter could play as Pauline

Wow. that guy's collection is crazy! Sidenote: I love that they used the old M.U.L.E. theme at the beginning of the video.

might have some questions for him after watching this video.

And congrats on the NGPC. I bought one early on and I loved SNK v Capcom and Gal Fighters. There weren't a lot of really great games, but the few that are there are gems.

Chairhome

Come on guys! Let's get some questions/topics for Mike!

A few questions:
- What is his holy grail (actual game and/or gaming related merchandise)?
- With such a massive collection, are there things he had to turn down/sell/donate just for space considerations, or does he have off-site storage
- how often does he dust/clean (seriously, haha)
- with preservation becoming a hot topic these days, are there any plans to pass these on in the future

A few questions:
- What is his holy grail (actual game and/or gaming related merchandise)?
- With such a massive collection, are there things he had to turn down/sell/donate just for space considerations, or does he have off-site storage
- how often does he dust/clean (seriously, haha)
- with preservation becoming a hot topic these days, are there any plans to pass these on in the future

Awesome!

Ramune

Just saw the Neo Geo Pocket Color video! So many memories of going to EB/Babbage's (both were in the same mall at the time), and picking up a new game for my then favorite little camo blue handheld. Now it doesn't want to turn on. It couldn't have died from a broken heart...right? D:
I'm wondering, IIRC, the button battery AND the AA batteries had to be in good shape for the unit to work. I know I have an extra button battery somewhere around here...

Back to the video, one little factoid. I actually owned the Worm light, but it didn't plug into the Ext. Port. Nyko stated that there wasn't as much power to draw from compared to a Game Boy's Ext. port, so it was instead a battery pack/external light solution. Since it was a battery pack, the hours you would get on one now a days are pretty much nil. Don't think mine works either. @_@;

Just saw the Neo Geo Pocket Color video! So many memories of going to EB/Babbage's (both were in the same mall at the time), and picking up a new game for my then favorite little camo blue handheld. Now it doesn't want to turn on. It couldn't have died from a broken heart...right? D:
I'm wondering, IIRC, the button battery AND the AA batteries had to be in good shape for the unit to work. I know I have an extra button battery somewhere around here...

Back to the video, one little factoid. I actually owned the Worm light, but it didn't plug into the Ext. Port. Nyko stated that there wasn't as much power to draw from compared to a Game Boy's Ext. port, so it was instead a battery pack/external light solution. Since it was a battery pack, the hours you would get on one now a days are pretty much nil. Don't think mine works either. @_@;

Holy crap, ok I think I remember people hacking the worm light to work with the ext port. Or something like that.

Thanks for the info!

Balb

The latest episode was great. It could have gone for a couple more hours and there would probably still be more stuff I'd want to hear about from a collector like Steven's perspective.

In general I like when the show talks about the things surrounding retro games (like shelves, cleaning, etc). Keep doing that stuff!

How much did you pay for your turbo duo r?

How much should I pay? Or should I just stick to virtual console and emulation? My interest is more as a fan of games from that time, not actual nostalgia because as a kid I only ever saw tg16 in magazines..

I am probably not missing that much just getting a core grafx or us tg16.

We have a retro game convention in Wisconsin here that is actually quite large and I'm looking to maybe get into TurboGrafx then.

The latest episode was great. It could have gone for a couple more hours and there would probably still be more stuff I'd want to hear about from a collector like Steven's perspective.

In general I like when the show talks about the things surrounding retro games (like shelves, cleaning, etc). Keep doing that stuff!

Thanks! I promise there will be more Steve Lin (and Mike Mika) in future episodes. I talked to Mike Mika for 90+ minutes yesterday and we just scratched the surface.

Chairhome

I'm interested in a shirt just don't have the extra funds right now. I'll try later in the week. Great work as always, and echoing that this podcast is becoming one of my favorites

How would you guys feel about a console specific episode? Thinking of a Neo Geo Pocket Color one for next week as a last minute substitution. Mike Mika has a very unique prospective on it as he was developing portable games at the time.

Top Bottom