• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Delt31

I grew up in the time of rentals and my family was lower class. I was lucky to get two games a year and I wasn't usually the one to pick them.

And I corrected myself on the GBA thing during the show, it is mispronunciation. If those are the two biggest issues you have with the show then I am a happy camper. :)

Sorry to bring up an older message but unlike the kids these days who seem to get everything they want, I was in the same boat back in the 80s where you got 2-3 games a year (bday, christmas, etc) where the rentals were the big thing. People need to realize that's how things were back in the day. Games are much bigger now and getting parents to spend money on this stuff was crazy. I remember my dad told me (as he was driving me to Macy's to pick up super nintendo) if I would still be playing this in high school as he was surprised this video games thing was still interesting to me. Meanwhile, I'm 32 and still game. In fact, what's funny is that back when you were younger, you had no capital to work with but all the time in the world. Now I have the capital to spend but no time!

orient

Neo Member
Totally with you, delt31. The barrier to playing these games has went from "I don't have the cash" to "I don't have the time", and the sheer amount of choice nowadays makes things even harder. I've adopted the "no next gen" technique, which helps a lot. I love playing through last gen game libraries once the dust has settled, but even that isn't the same as retro gaming, which takes even more dedication -- finding the games, the hardware etc.

Speaking of hardware, I went into Cash Converters yesterday to scope out the retro stuff and boy do they charge silly prices, even by Australian standards:

Mario Kart 64 Boxed - $100 (about $90 US)
Sega Saturn Console Only - $125
Sega MD1 Console Only - $75
Sega MD2 Console Only - $95 (why it is more expensive than the MD1 I have no idea)

None of the stuff was in great condition, either. I also saw a guy purchase a PSP Go, which was strange.

The interview with Steve Lin went great. Some really cool stories in there about auctions and hoaxes. Also picked up some great tips on collecting without breaking the bank, shelving, best systems to collect for right now, and more! I think you guys are really going to like it.

Balb

The worst thing about retro gaming podcasts like this one is that they make you want to spend too much money after listening :(

The worst thing about retro gaming podcasts like this one is that they make you want to spend too much money after listening :(

Just be patient (unlike me) and search for deals on CL and eBay. Also try to join the local retro community as people usually like unloading games for cash more than posting on eBay.

Any other feedback from those that listened to this week's Neo Geo episode?

I think to keep the podcast weekly I am going to do more of these Gaiden episodes. Interviews or one off platform free for alls (talk about the Dreamcast for 90 minutes or something like that).

RkOwnage

Popping in to say hello! Did a marathon of the podcast to catch up (been extremely busy with work/moving parents/baby stuff). Glad to see the show getting bigger and bigger and frankly just glad I could have been apart of it for a while. Keep up the good work Kevin and Josh!!

(I finally got a Genesis and a bunch of games, when I quit being lazy and get my retro room set up, I'll post some pics!)

Teknoman

I cant believe that NGPC console hoax. That was just...well...dumb lol. Always surprised by the stuff people try to pass on the net.

a_picsel

Neo Member
First off, I love the podcast. You guys are doing a great job, and I like the new guest format.

There are still a lot of people out there for whom purchasing all of these games and consoles isn't an option. Be it because of cash or just not having the space to store all that greatness (both apply to me :\). Will you guys ever cover the different ways of effectively emulating these systems on your TV? People are even using Raspberry Pi's to emulate and I've even seen a lot of talk about shaders being used to replicate CRT TVs pretty nicely, so you can still achieve that vintage look. But the information is so dispersed it's sometimes hard to find, it would be nice to hear some reliable talk from retro experts like you guys.

If not, I still love what you guys are doing, just want everyone to be able to join in!

First off, I love the podcast. You guys are doing a great job, and I like the new guest format.

There are still a lot of people out there for whom purchasing all of these games and consoles isn't an option. Be it because of cash or just not having the space to store all that greatness (both apply to me :). Will you guys ever cover the different ways of effectively emulating these systems on your TV? People are even using Raspberry Pi's to emulate and I've even seen a lot of talk about shaders being used to replicate CRT TVs pretty nicely, so you can still achieve that vintage look. But the information is so dispersed it's sometimes hard to find, it would be nice to hear some reliable talk from retro experts like you guys.

If not, I still love what you guys are doing, just want everyone to be able to join in!

Sure. We can do something like that down the road. Good call.

Chairhome

Gonna try to catch up this weekend,but listening to the Milon's ep and hearing about hidden Nintendo gems made me think of Culture Brain. I'm a big fan of Culture Brain games, they made somewhat obscure games like Magic of Scheherazade, flying warriors/flying dragon series, Baseball Simulator series, and the Ninja Boy series. Some of my most memorable games from childhood Most of their action games had turn based RPG boss fights. Just a suggestion if you haven't checked any of those out.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_Brain

Other suggestions would be Clash at Demonhead and Monster Party, but if not, its all good. Can't wait to hear more!

Hey Kevin, do you think you guys will ever do an episode for any handheld games? GBA seems like a great fit in particular as it's basically a portable SNES.

There are still a lot of people out there for whom purchasing all of these games and consoles isn't an option. Be it because of cash or just not having the space to store all that greatness (both apply to me :\). Will you guys ever cover the different ways of effectively emulating these systems on your TV? People are even using Raspberry Pi's to emulate and I've even seen a lot of talk about shaders being used to replicate CRT TVs pretty nicely, so you can still achieve that vintage look. But the information is so dispersed it's sometimes hard to find, it would be nice to hear some reliable talk from retro experts like you guys.

I agree, this would be great!

Yes Boss!

Hey Kevin, do you think you guys will ever do an episode for any handheld games? GBA seems like a great fit in particular as it's basically a portable SNES.

This is a good idea. I'm currently playing through GBA Klanoa 2 and I'm not going to say I like it better than Klanoa PS1 but I'm totally adoring how it is basically a SNES 16-bit version of a PS1 polygon game.

Look at these graphics!

4A462A56-A0DF-49C1-A33B-12865B1B735B_zpsb7vh6cxj.jpg

Gameboy and Game Gear for sure. Just a lot of stuff to cover. Plenty of time though :)
Awesome, sounds good. You guys must have about 1,000 suggestions by now, haha.

This is a good idea. I'm currently playing through GBA Klanoa 2 and I'm not going to say I like it better than Klanoa PS1 but I'm totally adoring how it is basically a SNES 16-bit version of a PS1 polygon game.

Look at these graphics!

4A462A56-A0DF-49C1-A33B-12865B1B735B_zpsb7vh6cxj.jpg
Man, that is beautiful. I think I might have to bust out the Micro tonight, this screenshot just reminded me of wonderful that thing is.

GG fricken rocks! It also has the best Castle of Illusion. Such a unique and cool system. Used to take it everyday to highschool and play in my math classes. Such great memories of that system.

You might have me interested with Castle of Illusion. What makes it best on the Gear of Gaming?

Yes Boss!

You might have me interested with Castle of Illusion. What makes it best on the Gear of Gaming?

Maybe a good dose of nostalgia! But, levels are way more creative, music is incredibly charming, and all the animated sprited are adorable. Just a much more fun game! I love the genesis version too.

Yep, checked out some youtubes and it is as good as I remember!

Weekend Rental: Metal Slug 2 (Neo Geo MVS)

Metal Slug 2 is known for it’s slowdown issues, as someone who has only played Metal Slug X (the “better version”) I am interested to see how the game plays.

http://backinmyplay.com/weekend-rental-metal-slug-2-neo-geo-mvs/
Nice video.

It's funny, I picked up the Metal Slug Anthology on PSP not too long ago and after playing through each of the games a few times I actually found that I preferred 2 over X. I think a good bit of the slowdown was taken care of in the Anthology and if I remember correctly the PSN version also had much better load times and general performance than the UMD version. Anyway, I went into X expecting a big improvement from 2 but honestly it just felt more cluttered and disconnected to me, almost like you could tell it wasn't the original.

MS 2 is probably my favorite of the bunch followed closely by 1 and 3. 3 is pretty fantastic for the most part but that final mission is just ridiculous.

Game Gear? Come on, bro.
LOL. I wasn't gonna say anything. ;)

Teknoman

GG did have its few nice points:

http://youtu.be/vPoHjUcw5u8?t=36s

Recently i've seen Halley and the GG Aleste series, they seem pretty cool. Its nothing to break your neck tracking down...but if you found one for cheap, it does have a few gems.

Of course the Sonic series, but for me its the soundtracks that make them must plays. Gameplay is pretty average.

Any other feedback from those that listened to this week's Neo Geo episode?

I think to keep the podcast weekly I am going to do more of these Gaiden episodes. Interviews or one off platform free for alls (talk about the Dreamcast for 90 minutes or something like that).

Sorry for the late reply but that episode was amazing!

Seriously, I fiended for Neo Geo stuff after hearing. Definitely one of my favorite episodes

Oh, PLEEEAAASSEEE DO FAXANADU!!!!!

Ramune

Seriously, I fiended for Neo Geo stuff after hearing. Definitely one of my favorite episodes

So glad you enjoyed it, more stuff like that is coming soon. Will be making an announcement about it on this week's show.

Teknoman

That jingle is enough to make you want one lol.

Getting in one more run of Bonk's before recording today's episode

PC engine platformer episode incoming? More people need to know the good news about Bonk and Zonk by extension.

Latest Episode:

Steve Lin, super collector and game preservationist joins us to revisit Bonk’s Adventure. We discuss the cool history of Bonk and our memories of the mascot that went head to head with Sonic and Mario. And we of course replay Bonk with fresh impressions to see how it has help up. We wrap up with some bonus retro collecting discussion with Steve.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

daydream

Banned
Finally found the time to catch up (or start catching up). SMB2 episode was excellent, you guys sound more and more professional by the week. For example, the share of conversation is more even now that Josh speaks up more often and takes the intiative with questions of his own.

Hope you're doing well in terms of listeners.

Edit: I've also been enjoying the weekend rentals, btw. Really impressive collection you're building Kevin. Just.. don't look back to think about it. :p

Yes Boss!

Fun episode.

Ultimately I've never been a bonk fan. Just find it really ugly and the music is of the scratchy type. Still played them all but he is not a cool character to me.

Also, there is an arcade PCB of a totally new Bonk game out there!

(and NAM-1975 is one of the best two-player neo games!)

Top Bottom