• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

Teknoman

How would you guys feel about a console specific episode? Thinking of a Neo Geo Pocket Color one for next week as a last minute substitution. Mike Mika has a very unique prospective on it as he was developing portable games at the time.

Should be great, open more eyes to it.

orient

Neo Member
I kind of want a Neo Geo Pocket Color just for Faselei! and Sonic Pocket Adventure. They're dirt cheap cart-only on eBay.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a Vita in Japan because now I want one and they're cheaper / better colours over there. I've got $300 kicking around but that will only get me the console (Tearaway pack-in) and a 16GB memory card here in Australia.

I kind of want a Neo Geo Pocket Color just for Faselei! and Sonic Pocket Adventure. They're dirt cheap cart-only on eBay.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't buy a Vita in Japan because now I want one and they're cheaper / better colours over there. I've got $300 kicking around but that will only get me the console (Tearaway pack-in) and a 16GB memory card here in Australia.

Two things you know you need to fix :)

robot

I still have a minty JPN B&W Neo Geo Pocket (and a US color one).

Been meaning to get a front lot modded system and a little collection of games, since most of my originals are missing. Glad to see game bundles are so cheap!

An episode on that system would be great!

I still have a minty JPN B&W Neo Geo Pocket (and a US color one).

Been meaning to get a front lot modded system and a little collection of games, since most of my originals are missing. Glad to see game bundles are so cheap!

An episode on that system would be great!

What colors are your systems?

Teknoman

Checking in:

jbbZecFDSpjEpE.jpg

CO_Andy

Just started listening to this podcast, and i must say you guys have outpaced Retronauts in my ears for the best retrogaming podcast. Thumbs up!

Since you guys are on sort of a NeoGeo high right now, i wonder if there's any interesting into diving into any Capcom arcade games? There's an official (and rather elusive) CPS1 console and a homebrew CPS2 console.

Just started listening to this podcast, and i must say you guys have outpaced Retronauts in my ears for the best retrogaming podcast. Thumbs up!

Since you guys are on sort of a NeoGeo high right now, i wonder if there's any interesting into diving into any Capcom arcade games? There's an official (and rather elusive) CPS1 console and a homebrew CPS2 console.

Aw man, you are too kind! So happy you enjoy the podcast.

Will surely hit on some Capcom arcade stuff down the road. CPS1 and CPS2. Maybe even CPS3!

Hey, that's the one I have! Very cool system. Love the clicky control stick. I remember a time when Amazon cleared out their NGP stock and I ordered a nice library of games for 10 bucks or less each.

The clear slims might be my favorite. Perfect size. Amazing that came out for $69.

The fighting game or the card game? I loooooved Card Fighters Clash. I don't think I played much (if any) of the fighting game, though I do think I have it in my collection.

I was actually referring to the fighting game, but I'm happy to hear the glowing words for card fighters clash, as that's one of the games I'll be receiving soon.

Ramune

Chorazin

Back in my Play t-shirts are available, but I need your help to get them made: http://teespring.com/backinmyplay BTW, if the shirts get made, all proceeds ($350+) will be donated to charity. Most likely Boston Children's Hospital http://teespring.com/backinmyplay

I'm shocked that only 7 people have pledged for a shirt so far. :(

I'm gonna be mad pissed if 43 more people buy a Neo Geo Pocket Color but not pony up $20 for a sweet ass shirt THAT HELPS SICK KIDS.

Kinda funny how this show transformed from replaying classics to showcasing obscure video games :p

I don't like being stuck in one format. Lots if cool things to discuss with retro games. Just going to do what seems fun for the show.

Btw, a few more hidden gems are coming :)

SuperPac

I was actually referring to the fighting game, but I'm happy to hear the glowing words for card fighters clash, as that's one of the games I'll be receiving soon.

Oddly enough I have Match of the Millennium but never opened it (which is the case with most of the NGP games I have).

Opened:
Card Fighters Clash Capcom Vers.
Gals Fighter (JPN fighting game with only SNK's female fighters)
Shanghai

Still sealed (all bought off Amazon for cheap):
Pac-Man
Match of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Puzzle Link
Card Fighters Clash SNK Vers.
Magical Drop Pocket

I also have the AC Adapter and Link Cable - also still in the box.

Oddly enough I have Match of the Millennium but never opened it (which is the case with most of the NGP games I have).

Opened:
Card Fighters Clash Capcom Vers.
Gals Fighter (JPN fighting game with only SNK's female fighters)
Shanghai

Still sealed (all bought off Amazon for cheap):
Pac-Man
Match of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Pocket Adventure
Puzzle Link
Card Fighters Clash SNK Vers.
Magical Drop Pocket

I also have the AC Adapter and Link Cable - also still in the box.

Holy shit! Some awesome games there.

I'm shocked that only 7 people have pledged for a shirt so far. :(

I'm gonna be mad pissed if 43 more people buy a Neo Geo Pocket Color but not pony up $20 for a sweet ass shirt THAT HELPS SICK KIDS.

It is a real bummer :( I thought 50 shirts would be easy. I guess not. Will start next episode talking about it.

Latest Episode:
Bimp Gaiden: Mike Mika

Mike Mika is the embodiment of why I love talking about games. You will hear about his history with game development starting at the Game Boy, his massive video game collection, his favorite game memories, and more. Also learn how I stole from Mike when I was 10-years-old...

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

huxley00

This weeks episode was great. When he mentioned that he had Clayfighter for PS1, I could hear your eyes popping out of your head haha. Even if its terrible, you know you wan't to play it! Plus, Earthworm Jim as a character? That sounds kind of cool...

The episode with Mike Mika was unbelievably good. So many amazing stories in there it's just mind-boggling.

On the topic of game related gifts under the Christmas tree, one of my earliest gaming related memories was getting my Game Boy for Christmas from my grandmother. Every year my mom's entire family would gather at my grandmother's house on Christmas Eve night and give out gifts. It was a pretty large gathering as my mom has six brothers and sisters and they all have kids of their own. Anyway, my younger cousin (fellow lover of all things video games) knew that I was getting a GB but the only hint he gave me was, "good things come in small packages." I will seriously remember that for the rest of my life, and oh how right he was. I remember opening the thing and just jumping around for joy yelling, "I GOT A GAME BOY, I GOT A GAME BOY!" I also seem to recall my parents having a not so thrilled look on their faces for some reason, haha.

The first batch of games I got for my GB included Wario Land and Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins. So many good memories from those games and that system. Thanks, Grandma!

In Japan. Game shopping today. Trying to keep things under control and only buy good deals/great games. Will report back with pictures and possible video of the game shops.

Chorazin

In Japan. Game shopping today. Trying to keep things under control and only buy good deals/great games. Will report back with pictures and possible video of the game shops.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Oh, if you see a Final Fantasy 4 GBA Micro for dirt cheap while you're there...... send it my way! :p

Back from first day of game shopping in Japan. Being much more conservative this trip and focusing on specific items. Got some great deals on the PC Engine stuff and a Dreamcast arcade stick for $2!

Really enjoy the podcast, been listening for a while but kept forgetting to post in this thread, esp loved the Mario 64 / Mario World / Zelda episodes, so much nostalgia :).

Keep up the good work !

Stumbled on some good deals while traveling through Japan yesterday.

Neo Geo CD, complete in perfect condition for about $63, Super Famicom, complete with 2 controllers in perfect shape for $40, Knights of the Round CIB for $1! And a few other things:

Really enjoy the podcast, been listening for a while but kept forgetting to post in this thread, esp loved the Mario 64 / Mario World / Zelda episodes, so much nostalgia :).

Keep up the good work !

Thank you! You seem like someone I'd get along with: vanquish avatar and love for classic Nintendo games.

Top Bottom