• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

onionfrog

I listened to the Mike Mika episode at work this week, really interesting listen.
Stumbled on some good deals while traveling through Japan yesterday.

Neo Geo CD, complete in perfect condition for about $63, Super Famicom, complete with 2 controllers in perfect shape for $40, Knights of the Round CIB for $1! And a few other things:

The condition and prices of a lot of this stuff just blows my mind!
Games are actually taken care of properly. 0_0
The complete opposite of most retro games stuff I see in the US.
I'd be lucky to find anything for $1 in most cases, let alone a complete copy of a great Capcom beat em up.

I listened to the Mike Mika episode at work this week, really interesting listen.

The condition and prices of a lot of this stuff just blows my mind!
Games are actually taken care of properly. 0_0
The complete opposite of most retro games stuff I see in the US.
I'd be lucky to find anything for $1 in most cases, let alone a complete copy of a great Capcom beat em up.

It is real hit and miss out here now. Most of the stuff I have bought has been 45 minutes outside of Akihabara.

orient

Neo Member
One of the best things I saw in Super Potato:
poster.jpg

Thanks to the last episode I picked up a few more neo Geo pocket games. I got snk vs capcom, fatal fury 2, samsho2, dark arms, and card fighters. The seller had them for $5 each and combined shipping,

Just want to get sonic, metal slug 2, magical drop, and maybe some others..

I already have a blue system, neo turf masters, tennis, puzzle link, metal slug 1, and pacman. Pacman is actually a really good version. Wish it had ms PAC. The game originally came with a little ring that turned the system into a 4way joystick too.

The library is pretty cheap overall but there are some standouts like cotton (which looks awesome) and if you're going for the cool mini MVS cases that Europe got, you'll spend a lot more.

Just put in an order for a shirt. Hope they get made!

I've been a huge fan of handhelds since the original GB days but I've never even seen a Neo Geo Pocket in person... Suddenly some Amazon window shopping is calling my name...

SpotAnime

Just wanted to add, love this podcast. I agree with Kevin that retro is the next-gen! I've been rediscovering retro games and recollecting stuff I've abandoned or sold throughout the years. I purged a lot of my classic collection during the last-gen but really regret it, and now I'm far more interested in playing games of yesteryear that I loved (or missed) rather than the latest AAA franchise iteration.

Question for Kevin and Josh: I know you've mentioned that you had played many of these classic games and/or systems in your youth, but do you find you are rediscovering these classics through your retro gaming podcasts and projects, or are you discovering these for the first time? Part of what I love about BimP and other retro podcasts, videos and sites is that many people are going into classic gaming collecting for the first time, and thus I get to experience it through them the same while dipping into my own nostalgia.

Anyway, curses to you for getting me to look into a Framemeister! Thanks and keep up the awesome podcast.

Just wanted to add, love this podcast. I agree with Kevin that retro is the next-gen! I've been rediscovering retro games and recollecting stuff I've abandoned or sold throughout the years. I purged a lot of my classic collection during the last-gen but really regret it, and now I'm far more interested in playing games of yesteryear that I loved (or missed) rather than the latest AAA franchise iteration.

Question for Kevin and Josh: I know you've mentioned that you had played many of these classic games and/or systems in your youth, but do you find you are rediscovering these classics through your retro gaming podcasts and projects, or are you discovering these for the first time? Part of what I love about BimP and other retro podcasts, videos and sites is that many people are going into classic gaming collecting for the first time, and thus I get to experience it through them the same while dipping into my own nostalgia.

Anyway, curses to you for getting me to look into a Framemeister! Thanks and keep up the awesome podcast.

Hey, thanks for the kind words! To answer your question:
I would say I'm experiencing most of the games for the first time or the first time in a long time. There are hundreds of games that I played ALOT when I was younger, and we are working those in along the way (the Mario and Zelda games are good examples), but it's been especially interesting to play the stuff that I didn't have much time with as a kid. Stuff like Bonk and Journey to Silius, for instance.

I think we have a nice balance of new and revisited experiences, I suppose.

Thanks for listening.

I just started listening to this podcast and I really love it. The only downside is you guys make me want to start collecting retro systems, which is the last thing I need to be doing. Thinking about owning a consolized MVS is KILLING ME. Thanks for all the great work!

Latest Episode:
Episode 20: Neo Geo Pocket Color

Mike Mika joins us to remember and revisit the Neo Geo Pocket Color. The NGPC was an amazing piece of hardware with a very high quality library. We also discuss what Mike is excited about as GDC approaches and an exclusive platform announcement about IDARB.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Latest Episode:
Episode 20: Neo Geo Pocket Color

Mike Mika joins us to remember and revisit the Neo Geo Pocket Color. The NGPC was an amazing piece of hardware with a very high quality library. We also discuss what Mike is excited about as GDC approaches and an exclusive platform announcement about IDARB.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Seriously, people, this one is HOT

SpotAnime

Some ideas for BimP Gaiden shows:

Console repair: There's a lot of maintenance that goes with collecting classic gaming consoles, and it would be nice to get some experiences of some of the more common maintenance tricks and/or interview someone who does repairs in case we need advice or to send in.

Modifications: Kinda like the consolized MVS, but I'm seeing mods to add SCART capability to NES. I've also seen mods that add AV outputs and frequency switches to some consoles. Might be cool to talk about what mods you guys have done, or the essential mods per console.

polg

Even after being in Japan several times, I still want to hear more stories about retro gaming hunting there.

I've spent HOURS in random Book-offs around Japan trying to find old games.

Latest Episode:
Episode 21: The Music of the NES

Chris Johnston is back again to join us in remembrance of our favorite music on the NES/Famicom from back in the day.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

Just wanted to say I've been listening for a while now and I always look forward to new episodes. Only problem is every episode makes me want to go out and buy some stuff!

Keep up the great work!

Teknoman

After listening to the latest episode...I kinda want to play McKids if only for the soundtrack.

That and if you guys havent heard Silver Surfer's soundtrack, its sad that it couldnt be attached to a better game (which might not be that bad, since all i've got is AVGN to go off lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J0H5ah1G7A

Also thanks for the heads up on Wiiguy.

EDIT: lol wow and Silver Surfer stage 1 just popped up on the cast. Yup you guys know whats up.

The past couple of episodes with Mike Mika were great - hope there's more from him in the future.

One thing is it seems like the show is going to make you broke over time Kevin. The somewhat frequent (expensive) purchases would have to be adding up :p

Wishful thinking for mew content would be roping someone in from Rare in the 64 days to talk about some of those games. Probably a hard thing to do but it'd be rad!

After listening to the latest episode...I kinda want to play McKids if only for the soundtrack.

That and if you guys havent heard Silver Surfer's soundtrack, its sad that it couldnt be attached to a better game (which might not be that bad, since all i've got is AVGN to go off lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J0H5ah1G7A

Also thanks for the heads up on Wiiguy.

EDIT: lol wow and Silver Surfer stage 1 just popped up on the cast. Yup you guys know whats up.

It is awesome! Pick it up, it is cheap too!

Top Bottom