• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in my Play: A Podcast for Nostalgic Gamers (New Episodes Every Sunday)

The past couple of episodes with Mike Mika were great - hope there's more from him in the future.

One thing is it seems like the show is going to make you broke over time Kevin. The somewhat frequent (expensive) purchases would have to be adding up :p

Wishful thinking for mew content would be roping someone in from Rare in the 64 days to talk about some of those games. Probably a hard thing to do but it'd be rad!

I really want to have developers on some time. They're a bit hard to find but I agree, having people on who worked on retro games would be cool. Part of the reason mike Mika is such a great guest. And he's just awesome.

robot

Only 30 minutes into Episode 21 and it's fantastic. Great editing!

Glad people are discovering WiiGuy's channel, he's doing a great service putting all of those soundtracks out. Would love to hear more of these in the future - maybe even an episode on Sega Master System/Game Gear music, love the sounds that system puts out.

Glad people are discovering WiiGuy's channel, he's doing a great service putting all of those soundtracks out. Would love to hear more of these in the future - maybe even an episode on Sega Master System/Game Gear music, love the sounds that system puts out.

Glad you are enjoying it. Makes the 4 hours of editing worth it! Please submit a review on iTunes if you can.

Thanks!

Teknoman

Could do Genesis too, especially since those games get a bum rap aside from well known stuff.

Harlock

Fantastic episode about Neo Geo Pocket. With all that behind scenes info from the guy who work with games the podcast are getting in a level far beyond any Retronauts episode.

As I mentioned on the latest episode. We should do a DK episode.

Got an email from the guy I sold my Donkey Kong to 1.5 years ago. He had to sell it, so it is back in my office. After cleaning and tune up on the monitor DK is good to go. Super clean cab. All original except the .25 sticker.

orient

Neo Member
DK cab looks so good.

Enjoyed the latest cast. I have very little NES nostalgia but that Mega Man 2 intro music gets me every time. The build-up riff is nicer in the MM3 intro, but the main riff is much better in the MM2 track in my opinion.

There was actually a recent episode of Retro Asylum (a UK-based retro podcast) where they interviewed the guy behind the Turrican/R-Type music -- worth checking out.

orient

Neo Member
I got a pickup notice for my NGPC -- gutted that I missed the delivery because I would've played it all weekend. Looking forward to Sonic Pocket Adventure. I haven't played a good 2D Sonic game since Rush (apart from replaying the MD games).

I tried to go back to Rush the other day actually and wasn't feeling it. Definitely doesn't hold up as well as the old games.

Two things.

1. THANK YOU to everyone that bought a t-shirt. We raised $251! The money will be donated to the Tuft's Medical Center Floating Hospital for Children.

2. I have setup an interview with Jake Kaufman, composer for Double Dragon Neon, Might Switch Force 1+2, Duck Tales Remastered, Shantae, and many more. Will most likely be the next episode of the show.

orient

Neo Member
I'm not sure it's cool to walk around wearing a t-shirt with a logo on it that you've designed, but I'm going to do it anyway :p

Jake Kaufman interview sounds awesome.

Teknoman

I have setup an interview with Jake Kaufman

iOlKvXM2S4oEL.gif

Jake is tired up with moving right now, so I am going to be doing another interview with Mike Mika about video game ports for Back in my Play. The ports he worked on as well as the concept and the concessions that need to be made. Have anything you want to ask him?

orient

Neo Member
Question for Mike: What's your favourite Sega "Super Scaler" title and what is your favourite port of the game?

I've been sitting in my garden playing NGPC games. Man, I forgot how difficult it is to see non-back-lit screens :p Near impossible in my house.

I love that they use a remix of the Sonic 3 boss music in Pocket Adventure. So good. MS: 2nd Mission is on its way.

I also finally bought a Vita (with 16GB memory card) -- only payed $100 after vouchers/trade-ins. I was going to go all-digital but there's a huge problem with that: in Australia you can get the physical copies for $10-20 cheaper. It's super annoying because digital copies seem more future-proof now e.g. I can play Persona 3 on my Vita because I bought it digitally for PSP, but all my physical PSP games are stuck in the past.

Yes Boss!

Two things.

1. THANK YOU to everyone that bought a t-shirt. We raised $251! The money will be donated to the Tuft's Medical Center Floating Hospital for Children.

2. I have setup an interview with Jake Kaufman, composer for Double Dragon Neon, Might Switch Force 1+2, Duck Tales Remastered, Shantae, and many more. Will most likely be the next episode of the show.

That is nice to know! Just got back from a few weeks away for work and saw the charge. Nice to know I helped out (a bit).

Everyone watch the Smash Nintendo Direct today?

Included some awesome Mega Man music and what looked kind of like am N64 Chain Chomp as am assist trophy.

Anyway, the nostalgia made me think of you guys.

Mike Mika has been sick so we had to postpone the interview. He is good to go now so we will be recording tomorrow.

Last chance to get in your questions about video game ports.

Having dinner with CJ from Player One, TJ Lauerman, Rich Grisham, and Jeremy Stein tonight.

We are going to record something. Anything retro related you want us to cover?

Latest Episode:
Episode 22: Porting the Dream w/ Mike Mika (Part I)

Mike Mika returns to discuss the importance of ports in the history of video games. From Space Invaders on the 2600, to Contra on the NES, Mortal Kombat, Doom, and more! We explore dealing with the constraints of hardware and how ports drove system sales.

Previous Episodes:

Next Episode:

JEKKI

lol I listened to the NES music apisode and maaaaaan have u really never eaten taco truck?!?!

come to SoCal!! E3! Downtown LA gots crazy delicious taco trucks!!

(and some cool mom & pop retro game stores too!)

Teknoman

I need to get back to going through old school Mario. Should probably add that to my series playthrough along with Sonic and Megaman.

Everytime I see that box I hear

jbpp65iHvhlQ5B.png

EDIT: Looks like USPS might have messed up my shirt delivery :/

DATE & TIME
STATUS OF ITEM

April 11, 2014 , 11:05 am
Forwarded
"This was because of forwarding instructions or because the address or ZIP Code on the label was incorrect. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."

Which is odd because the order information emailed to me had my correct address, no errors.

Great night out with CJ from Player One, Kat Bailey, Rich Grisham, TJ Lauerman, Jeremy Stein, and ZFarls (Madden Bible) last night. Really good people.

Hell of a discussion on Zelda 2 being great or garbage too :)

oatmeal

Banned
I got into Advance Wars on the VC BAD...put in about 20 hours in a week. I never do that.

Got to the final mission...and...don't know if I will return. That was insane, and I looked it up and the choices I made through the game has led to a harder encounter with them because my team is crap.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Heard the Link to the Past podcast recently. Decent stuff.

Keep up the good work, guys!

Top Bottom