• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

I know there's some stuff I've seen people mentioning here that my own in-game conversations didn't get around to (like
the DeLorean apparently being some sort of duplicate rather than something newly built
), so I'm wondering if there's something else I didn't get to:
Did Doc ever say what he was doing in 1931 to begin with?
Prime Blue said:
Noticed something weird.
Yeah, caught that too; and the same possibilities went through my mind. I wonder.

JoshuaJSlone said:
so I'm wondering if there's something else I didn't get to:
Did Doc ever say what he was doing in 1931 to begin with?

Checking out an old Hill Valley unsolved mystery, hiding too close to the action and passed out nearby. Woke up in jail accused of being the arsonist he was there to catch.

Brashnir

Jocchan said:
- I'm all giddy for what they seem to be doing for episode 2, with Marty having to undo timeline-changing mistakes undetected. Loved the concept in BTTF2. I just hope they come up with some twists to differentiate from that one.

Well for one, since Marty is disappearing, you'll probably be playing as Doc. How's that for a twist?

edit - sorry if anyone inadvertently saw the unspoilered quote. messed up when trimming the post. :(

Brashnir said:
Well for one, since Marty is disappearing, you'll probably be playing as Doc. How's that for a twist?

edit - sorry if anyone inadvertently saw the unspoilered quote. messed up when trimming the post. :(
Well, there was an image of Marty staying out of sight of slightly-past Marty. Could be after Doc undisappears Marty, but I'm thinking TellTale could just be doing the disappearing thing a bit differently than we saw in the movies; because at the end of the episode there was no good excuse for Marty to be whipping out that photo of George he had to see if it was changing.

Prime Blue said:
Noticed something weird.

Somehow, a female NPC appears both in 1986 and in 1931, Marty looks startled. Either it's just a joke of the development team (or laziness...), or it could have some plot significance.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymd0uh.png

At the very beginning, during the estate sale, look at who's rummaging around Doc's things behind George McFly.

Brashnir

EmCeeGramr said:
At the very beginning, during the estate sale, look at who's rummaging around Doc's things behind George McFly.

I wonder if this is really foreshadowing or just a generic background NPC model. The way she looks at Marty outside Edna's apartment makes me think it's foreshadowing, but it'd hard to say for sure.

Jake said:
Leaning on the original Silvestri melodies was design direction he was given in this episode. As the story progresses and moves into it's own places, I imagine the music will too. If you look onyoutube for Jared's music from Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, or some of the music he worked on with Clint Bajakian for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (eg "The Kracken"), they gove pretty good examples of hm taking ideas and sounds from licenses and going new places.
I sure hope he'll be given more free hand in the coming episodes. If it's one thing I was almost disappointed with, it was the music. I was surprised at how repetitive it was, became tired of it quickly (which is an absolute no-no for an adventure game).

JohngPR

Beat Episode 1 yesterday.

Loved it except I was stuck on one puzzle because a certain cutscene wouldn't trigger. :( Still, not enough to ruin the experience. Can't wait for Episode 2!

After playing Disney's Guilty Party with my son yesterday, TellTale needs 2 hire whoever was in charge of lip synching in Guilty Party for BTTF. TT's lip synching tech leaves something to be desired.

JohngPR said:
Loved it except I was stuck on one puzzle because a certain cutscene wouldn't trigger. :(
Yep, happened to me and many, many others as well. Annoyed me greatly, but luckily I had an autosave just before.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Brashnir said:

Dunno, I remember someone from Telltale saying you would be controlling Marty only in the game because "Doc can't be controlled", or something like that. Of course he could have said that to keep it a surprise, but I believe we'll still be controlling Marty during episode 2.
I was expecting a main character switch too some time during another Telltale game last year, by the way, but it didn't happen. I wonder if they'll want to try it this time around.

JohngPR

Prime Blue said:
Yep, happened to me and many, many others as well. Annoyed me greatly, but luckily I had an autosave just before.

After wrestling with that part for an hour, I looked it up and realized the culprit. For whatever reason, when I loaded the game up it pretty much triggered the cutscene instantly for some reason without me doing anything differently.
:lol

Jocchan said:
Dunno, I remember someone from Telltale saying you would be controlling Marty only in the game because "Doc can't be controlled", or something like that. Of course he could have said that to keep it a surprise, but I believe we'll still be controlling Marty during episode 2.
I was expecting a main character switch too some time during another Telltale game last year, by the way, but it didn't happen. I wonder if they'll want to try it this time around.
wallace and gromit had it as and when the plot dictated.

Oni Jazar

Peff said:
They did, apparently it was his agent that didn't pass the offer along.

link? I was afraid of that. They should've tried harder (offered more $$). I can't imagine he'd be that expensive.

unomas

Banned
Brashnir said:
I'm not sure if a 360 version has even been announced.

Just looked up some articles online, and it looks like it was originally announced for all platforms, but will not be coming to the 360 or Wii. Damn, I really wanted this.

FStop7

Banned
Had zero interest in this game until I watched the Giant Bomb quick look. I bought it immediately. It's really fun and does a great job of recreating the feel of the original film without being a simple rehash.

Cartman86

Banned
ckohler said:
Stupid question: If I buy this on Steam, am I paying $22.49 for just the first episode or all five episodes?

All 5. One payment. Don't know if you can even buy individual episodes.

Cartman86

Banned
eXistor said:
Just finished it. Yeah, just like all of Telltale's games, this feels like it was churned out of a factory. The tech behind it just won't do. This cheap looking 3d really isn't the way guys, try a 2d game for once. I'm glad they've at least gotten the story and characters right, which makes the game worthwhile for fans. The puzzles are okay, but way too easy and obvious for the most part, the voiceacting is really spotty. The guy doing Marty's voice is just fine and it's good to hear Chris Lloyd's voice again, even if it does sound like he's a 100 years old, but the rest of the cast is just mediocre to decent.

I always get the feeling TT just don't have what it takes to make a great game, just decent ones.

I see what you mean with the cheap feeling, but I must say that Sam & Max Season 3 blew me away with it's visuals and production values.

numble

Nose Master said:
Unrelated to the game but, I just realized Michael J Fox also plays his grandfather in BttF3. :lol
You mean his great-great grandfather? His grandfather was that baby William. But MJF does play William in an old photo.

He also plays his daughter Marlene in BTTF2:
ZKre0.jpg

http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Marlene_McFly

I was wondering if they mentioned Clara and the Doc's kids. I'm confused by the plot. I've read that this games takes place after BTTF3, but from reading spoilers, it doesn't make sense.

thehillissilent said:
I was wondering if they mentioned Clara and the Doc's kids. I'm confused by the plot. I've read that this games takes place after BTTF3, but from reading spoilers, it doesn't make sense.
they do mention the kids, and they explain the existance of the delorean.

however, i'm not sure that the dialogue which mentions those is stuff everyone will hear.

Hari Seldon

Beat this game last night. Really good! I can't wait for ep 2. This is my first Telltale game and I really like the quality of the writing and story. Plus I just love the Marty/Doc dynamic.

Volcynika

dragonfart28 said:
Did they give any reason for why this won't come to Wii/360? That seems really bizarre.

360 I think it's just annoyance due to how Wallace & Gromit or whatever was handled. I'm not sure about Wii.

LiK

dragonfart28 said:
Did they give any reason for why this won't come to Wii/360? That seems really bizarre.
Pure speculation on my part but I think the performance issues of Sam & Max on Wii probably factored in.

And I agree about the size restrictions.

thehillissilent said:

Yeah, Doc in this game has aged another 10 years or so and his kids are teenagers.
Doc and Clara disagree over what time period to send their kids to college in.

ZZMitch

This may have been answered already, and I havent gotten a chance to play through Ep1 yet, but I know that
the dolorian
is in the game... how?

I thought the game was supposed to be directly after the 3rd one? I mean its not a big deal, I am just curious if it is explained at all.

ZZMitch said:
This may have been answered already, and I havent gotten a chance to play through Ep1 yet, but I know that
the dolorian
is in the game... how?

I thought the game was supposed to be directly after the 3rd one? I mean its not a big deal, I am just curious if it is explained at all.

It's explained in the game, so you might want to wait

...if not,
Lightning strike from first film, made a clone of the Deloran, which got lost in time, but Doc found at a point between BttF III and the game

Cartman86

Banned
Could we not see a 360 version of this because of cert lead times? They have none for PC so getting everything done in time isn't a big deal. It seems to me that they pick the one console with every release. They probably just don't have enough people to get it all out at the same time on every console.

Cartman86 said:
Could we not see a 360 version of this because of cert lead times? They have none for PC so getting everything done in time isn't a big deal. It seems to met hat they pick their one console with every release. They probably just don't have enough people to get it all out at the same time on every console.
Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island didn't come out on 360. Looks to be the same for BttF.

WillyFive

Prime Blue said:
Noticed something weird.

Somehow, a female NPC appears both in 1986 and in 1931, Marty looks startled. Either it's just a joke of the development team (or laziness...), or it could have some plot significance.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymd0uh.png

Very interesting. I always wanted to get into Lost-level speculation again.

I just wish Emerson-Johnson and Telltale would be more daring when it comes to creating music: I prefer his original creations over his arrangements of Silvestri's compositions. It would be cool if they did something like what Gordy Haab did for Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, that is using the original music as the basis and changing them so much that they are still noticeable but largely become an entirely new composition.

What I wanted was orchestral music, or at least high quality soundfonts. The new music for this game was obviously low-quality soundfonts, and there weren't any new melodies.

Back to the Future 3 showed how great new music can be, they should have done it here.

Bo130

Hm, I bought it back when it was free. Now I can find it in my recent purchase, but I can't find anywhere to download my purchase from. Where do I do that?

Top Bottom