• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

Bo130 said:
Hm, I bought it back when it was free. Now I can find it in my recent purchase, but I can't find anywhere to download my purchase from. Where do I do that?
The free copy from their website? you get that sometime in jan/feb I think.

B33

Banned
Bo130 said:
Hm, I bought it back when it was free. Now I can find it in my recent purchase, but I can't find anywhere to download my purchase from. Where do I do that?
February.

Should be available fairly close to the day "Episode 2: Get Tannen" arrives.

So I'm strongly considering picking this up to play episode 1 today before the Bears game at 3pm CST. Two questions:

What's the best place to buy it? I don't have steam or a steam account, so I'm looking for the fastest and most efficient way to install possible.

Also, how long will it take to complete episode 1?

Superblatt said:
So I'm strongly considering picking this up to play episode 1 today before the Bears game at 3pm CST. Two questions:

What's the best place to buy it? I don't have steam or a steam account, so I'm looking for the fastest and most efficient way to install possible.

Also, how long will it take to complete episode 1?
Just sign up on Telltale's website and get it from there. Quick download, quick install.

The first episode took me three to four hours (I'm a slow player and usually use every option in a dialog tree).

Prime Blue said:
Just sign up on Telltale's website and get it from there. Quick download, quick install.

The first episode took me three to four hours (I'm a slow player and usually use every option in a dialog tree).

Cool. One other question...if I buy will I be able to play on both my Macbook and my PC desktop? Or, is this a single download kinda thing?

Celine

Superblatt said:
Cool. One other question...if I buy will I be able to play on both my Macbook and my PC desktop? Or, is this a single download kinda thing?

On your product page you will see two option available to download for Win and Mac.
Just download what you need.

Then you can always redownload whatever version you want from your account, whenever you want.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
720p pics of the Title Screen(s)

bttf720phdlw.png

bttf1720pjdnh.png

Not that anyone should care, but Luke Plunkett from Kotaku didn't seem to like it. It's hard enough to take them seriously, but it becomes strenuously difficult with comments like this one:

Did you enjoy it? Not as a game, no. I haven't enjoyed many of Telltale's previous adventure efforts that much, actually, as I find their pace too slow, their controls cumbersome and, worst of all, they just feel..."wrong".

piratepwnsninja said:
Not that anyone should care, but Luke Plunkett from Kotaku didn't seem to like it. It's hard enough to take them seriously, but it becomes strenuously difficult with comments like this one:

It has some fair points. I don't think it's true of all Telltale games, but this specific episode felt like a step back in most ways from The Devil's Playhouse.

There was a lot less going on, less places to go, less things to do. It did look almost like a ghost town. Could have at least had some police tape or something and an explanation that the area is closed to all unnecessary travel due to the fire, place a few cops and investigators around the burned down building, something to both help it look less empty and explain why it's still pretty empty.

And the mouse drag controls are awful in any game, controller is a good alternative but point and click would still be better.

stupei

HadesGigas said:
It has some fair points. I don't think it's true of all Telltale games, but this specific episode felt like a step back in most ways from The Devil's Playhouse.

There was a lot less going on, less places to go, less things to do. It did look almost like a ghost town. Could have at least had some police tape or something and an explanation that the area is closed to all unnecessary travel due to the fire, place a few cops and investigators around the burned down building, something to both help it look less empty and explain why it's still pretty empty.

And the mouse drag controls are awful in any game, controller is a good alternative but point and click would still be better.

They are, but WASD works just fine.

marathonfool said:
Any word on when these episodes can be purchased on PSN?

I think it was mentioned that they'd be hitting PSN around when Episode 2 comes out in February. There's a month delay between one and two, but then they're supposedly going to be regular after that, so maybe they wanted to wait on the PSN release because of that.

Jake

In future episodes, playing with a wired 360 controller on PC should actually display on screen face buttons as well. Didn't have time to get that in ep 1 so gamepad support was sort of a secret feature, but when I went in to add PS3 on screen buttons, I did it for 360 as well, just for those using that controller on PC. So, hopefully that will help some if the PC players who prefer the console controls.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Jake said:
In future episodes, playing with a wired 360 controller on PC should actually display on screen face buttons as well. Didn't have time to get that in ep 1 so gamepad support was sort of a secret feature, but when I went in to add PS3 on screen buttons, I did it for 360 as well, just for those using that controller on PC. So, hopefully that will help some if the PC players who prefer the console controls.
Awesome, I loved playing the first episode with my pad. Are there any plans to patch the first one with the buttons in? Also, I might have been imagining things, but I thought I did see the buttons show up a couple times.

eznark

Banned
Jake said:

Instead you should make the controller electrocute them

HadesGigas said:

Completely agree. Just completed episode one, and having recently played through The Devil's Playhouse myself I was really surprised at how slow and cumbersome it feels. The camera in particular is utter shit in the exterior locations.

epmode

eznark said:
Maybe for other games but Telltale's latest stuff has been extraordinarily uncomfortable with keyboard and/or mouse. I've been much happier with a 360 pad. Not to mention that the games were clearly designed around a controller, unlike Telltale's earlier stuff.

Jake

eznark said:

We do a dice roll before determining the "support it properly or electrocute them" user path when playing with a controller.

Feep

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone know when the heck Episode 2 is coming out? I couldn't find anything on their website.

I know it isn't a fair comparison, but it is so hard to switch back and forth between this and Dead Space 2. In Dead Space 2 I'll be running backwards, shoot a monster's limb off in one shot, grab it out of mid-air and hurl it through the next monster's eye.

In Back to the Future (pc) I'll be tasked with walking down a 20ft span of straight sidewalk and Marty'll be bobbing and weaving the whole way. I hadn't played a Telltale game since the early Sam and Max episodes, so I didn't realize they had gone back to the control scheme that felt awkward when it was in Grim Fandango 13 years ago.

Decent game, though. Guess I'll try it with a gamepad.

Vexidus

I can't wait for this to be released for PSN. I've been holding off on the PC version so I can play it on PS3. Apparently it's coming out within the week!

StevieP

Banned
Vexidus said:
I can't wait for this to be released for PSN. I've been holding off on the PC version so I can play it on PS3. Apparently it's coming out within the week!

PC version looks better.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Looks great on PS3. PC version has a nice CG feel to it with everything maxed though. You're not losing much in the console version from what I can see.

swoon

Do the hints turn off at some point? I've turn them off in the settings and yet it is telling me to check out the model of the town square.

swoon said:
Do the hints turn off at some point? I've turn them off in the settings and yet it is telling me to check out the model of the town square.
IIRC the hints don't go away in the tutorial section of the game.

Vexidus

I love this game so much! The attention to detail is amazing, and I like taking my time and looking at everything in the environments, checking out Marty's responses to every interactive object, listening to all of the dialogue options, etc.

My only complaint with the PSN version is the occasional stuttering when things are loading on the fly, but other than that it looks and feels great.

Xater said:
I am still waiting for my free episode so I can decide between the PC and PS3 version....
The PS3 version has low native resolution and even lower resolution textures. Maybe as low as 480p. I'd get the PC version if you care about graphic fidelity.

hyp

iPad version for ep.1 is out on the itunes NZ store. should be coming to the US store any minute now...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
marathonfool said:
The PS3 version has low native resolution and even lower resolution textures. Maybe as low as 480p. I'd get the PC version if you care about graphic fidelity.
PC also has native 360 pad support. All PS3 has is trophies or convenience depending on your situation.

Wow, episode one was short. It was the easiest adventure game (at least the first episode) I've ever played. I turned off all the hints and this game didn't give me much trouble at all. None of the puzzles were elaborate or interesting with the exception of one. I think the game captured the film fairly well. Kudos to all the voice actors. I loved all the references. The graphic fidelity and animation was extremely poor on the PS3. Not sure how it compares to the PC version. Doc and Marty's character model were well done. Everything else was took me out of the experience.

I hope episode two is longer and more difficult.

Top Bottom