• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

Wiseblood

Their website is down, but if you have Episode 1 installed, you can download Episode 2 from the launcher.

EDIT: It downloads to Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 1\bttf_102_setup.exe, but doesn't launch it automatically.

Wiseblood said:
Their website is down, but if you have Episode 1 installed, you can download Episode 2 from the launcher.

EDIT: It downloads to Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 1\bttf_102_setup.exe, but doesn't launch it automatically.

Nice. Getting a horrible download speed though.

Getting 2200kb/s myself :D

EDIT: Now it's at 100% but not showing anything like install/play. It just has a pause button? What do, GAF?

ep2_whatdo.jpg

Just played a bit of Episode 2. Natural progression from Ep 1 so far. Encountered some new characters. 2 of which I think are a funny addition to the BTTF universe. The story has progressed quite a bit in the half hour I played it. The puzzles are still easy but it's all about the BTTF feel with these games so I won't complain too much.

isny

napkin dispenser
HadesGigas said:
Go to your documents folder. Win7 it's something like this:

C:\Users\Profile\Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 1

Still won't install episode II.

I don't think they were ready to release it yet, someone hit the switch early, hence why the download is stopping at 100%.

I installed it then it broke the launcher. Can't even load up episode 1 now. The launcher is just black with the frame around it.

HadesGigas said:
I installed it then it broke the launcher. Can't even load up episode 1 now. The launcher is just black with the frame around it.

Same here. It's as if the Episode 2 setup.exe went back in time to prevent Episode 1 from ever working.

Lord, this new distribution system Telltale has rolled out with BttF is SHIT. What were they thinking? Lesson learned for me, just buy games through Steam from now on.

My installer is also broken. It says it's loading, then I just get a black screen.

celebi23

Reluctant-Hero said:
Lord, this new distribution system Telltale has rolled out with BttF is SHIT. What were they thinking? Lesson learned for me, just buy games through Steam from now on.

My installer is also broken. It says it's loading, then I just get a black screen.

Yep, same happening for me. At least Valve doesn't take down their entire site to prep for releasing a game lol (I know, comparing a huge company like Valve with telltale games, resources and all that jazz. Just a bit frustrated)

celebi23 said:
Yep, same happening for me. At least Valve doesn't take down their entire site to prep for releasing a game lol (I know, comparing a huge company like Valve with telltale games, resources and all that jazz. Just a bit frustrated)
I actually was just firing up episode 1 because I wanted to play through it again since I was expecting episode 2 to release next week.

But then I got the black screen, Telltale's site is down, so I decided to pop in the OT and find EP 2 is today. It's absurd that EP 2's Ronny launch us preventing me from accessing EP 1. Absurd.

Wiseblood

Weird, I just finished playing it but I tried launching it again from the shortcut and am getting the same black window problem. I assume the launcher window gets its content from their servers, maybe they took that stuff down too.

celebi23

Reluctant-Hero said:
I actually was just firing up episode 1 because I wanted to play through it again since I was expecting episode 2 to release next week.

But then I got the black screen, Telltakes site is down, so I decided to pop in the OT and find EP 2 is today. It's absurd that EP 2's Ronny launch us preventing me from accessing EP 1. Absurd.

Yep, still got the black screen. You would think that telltale would've learned from Episode 1's horrendous launch, right? The Mac download link that I posted downloads a "BackToTheFuture102 NoDRM" app. When launched, it just opens Episode 1. The same type of app, "BackToTheFuture101 NoDRM" for Episode 1, was uploaded by mistake before telltale uploaded the "correct" one. Come on guys, it's not that difficult. Definitely buying all of my telltale games from Steam from now on.

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
A pretty solid second outing. They rely a little too much on the
hand something to Einy to have him lead you to your goal
trick, and some of the callbacks are starting to wear out their novelty (
Are we going to need to end every single episode with a villain in Manure?
) but still quite enjoyable. The Back to the Future 2 parts were fun, the
alternate 1986 segment was pretty great
and the puzzles were of the same "easy yet not obnoxiously so" variety as found in the first chapter.

I'm curious to see how Episode 3 holds up, though - I think it's our first episode that's more cartoonish and over the top than the others. Spending an afternoon in 1931 is one thing,
dealing with an alternate reality in which Edna and Doc rule Hill Valley the with a combination of extreme social conservatism and Eureka style mad science in some sort of cult is another
. Also, it looks like we may get our first interactions with
Jennifer
, so that's exciting.

Brashnir

LumpOfCole said:
Same here. It's as if the Episode 2 setup.exe went back in time to prevent Episode 1 from ever working.

After they're done going back and correcting this error, they need to destroy that infernal patcher.

Pretty good episode, and a bit tougher than Episode 1... just about the same length though, unfortunately.

Holy crap at that Episode 3 teaser in the credits, though! I knew
it would be going down the path of Emmett and Edna getting together, but I did NOT see it being like that in the future.
I can't wait for it.

ElRenoRaven

So finally got the free Episode 1 tonight and I have to say I'm liking it.

The controls are a bit rough. Mainly when trying to walk down a sidewalk and you change direction. Also when trying to target certain things it helps to have a mouse. Over all you really need the controller and mouse to play it easier. I'm without a doubt buying all the episodes though thanks to the quality of this episode.

Prime Blue said:
Noticed something weird.

Somehow, a female NPC appears both in 1986 and in 1931, Marty looks startled. Either it's just a joke of the development team (or laziness...), or it could have some plot significance.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymd0uh.png

The plot thickens:

2cmk6ef.jpg

She shows up once more at the end of the episode, in line at the movie theater

stupei

Okay, guys. Sorry if this has been covered already, but I'm on a Mac and the launcher currently looks like this for me: https://img.skitch.com/20110217-fuyufju4b28tt4fd6njp4s2319.jpg

Everything blank.

Looks like maybe a flash issue, so is it possible there might be a corrupt file somewhere? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling flash, but that didn't do shit and hasn't in the past. (I have a similar looking issue with youtube videos sometimes and that's what made me think it might be flash.) I'm not sure where to begin to look for a way to solve this, because every time I've tried to find something on Adobe's site it hasn't been a lot of help. Anyone have a similar problem or know how to fix it?

stupei

Buckethead said:
Why this not on Xbox?

=(

My understanding is it's because MS won't let them release it in episodic form without charging separately for each and the release dates will be up to MS, not Telltale.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Just finished episode one and it was great. I enjoyed it a lot. Can't wait for Episode 2.

Just beat it, really short.

Felt better overall than the first episode. Puzzles a bit less goofy. It was night so the empty streets made more sense.

Though pretty much the whole episode is centered on fixing mistakes that came about because of reckless actions in Episode 1. Which makes Episode 1 feel even more like it's a bunch of stuff that Marty and Doc should have known better than to do.

Episode 3 looks like it will be crazy.

Xater

marathonfool said:
The PS3 version has low native resolution and even lower resolution textures. Maybe as low as 480p. I'd get the PC version if you care about graphic fidelity.

I know the PS3 ports of Telltale are not the best, but I am on on an almost 3 year old iMac. I want to see how it compares to pick the best looking one.

Anyway, the free episode is up now, so I can give it a shot.

stupei said:
My understanding is it's because MS won't let them release it in episodic form without charging separately for each and the release dates will be up to MS, not Telltale.
Grr. Bastards.

Is it on Steam?

stupei

Okay, so after exploring further in the thread (ie. a few posts above mine, whoops) I find that the link posted by celebi23 works perfectly at resolving my problem with the launch screen.
(I still think it's a weird flash issue, though, and I'm pretty sure I should bug Apple about it, because this is some bullshit.)

Should've known to check GAF first.

I do feel bad for this Amy person working for Telltale, though. I emailed support and even though it's midnight there, she wrote me back in about 10 minutes and is all over the forums trying to help people. She was so nice and trying so hard to be helpful, I don't want to tell her that GAF solved my problem when they couldn't...

Xater

Uh ok I also hava a problem with my MAc version of Ep1. I see the play button in the launcher for Ep1 but when I click it just nothing happens.

Massa

Xater said:
Uh ok I also hava a problem with my MAc version of Ep1. I see the play button in the launcher for Ep1 but when I click it just nothing happens.

Rename the App to "Backtothefuture101", removing the " DRM 15.05" bit.

StevieP

Banned
marathonfool said:
Wow, episode one was short. It was the easiest adventure game (at least the first episode) I've ever played. I turned off all the hints and this game didn't give me much trouble at all. None of the puzzles were elaborate or interesting with the exception of one. I think the game captured the film fairly well. Kudos to all the voice actors. I loved all the references. The graphic fidelity and animation was extremely poor on the PS3. Not sure how it compares to the PC version. Doc and Marty's character model were well done. Everything else was took me out of the experience.

I hope episode two is longer and more difficult.

I'm playing it at 1920x1080 with AA all the way up and all settings maxed on a Core 2 Quat w/GTX 260. Looks great. Animation is still on the crappier side, but that's just Telltale's wonky animation in this particular series. The game looks leaps and bounds better on PC, and (IMO) plays better as well. Even lower-end PCs should be able to handle cranking the options.

StevieP said:
I'm playing it at 1920x1080 with AA all the way up and all settings maxed on a Core 2 Quat w/GTX 260. Looks great. Animation is still on the crappier side, but that's just Telltale's wonky animation in this particular series. The game looks leaps and bounds better on PC, and (IMO) plays better as well. Even lower-end PCs should be able to handle cranking the options.
The mouse controls are fine but I disagree, I prefer playing it with a pad... particularly in parts where you don't know what you can highlight (
the pipe in Episode 1 comes to mind
)... just press R2.

...and this is the second time you've made the Captain Obvious observation that the PC version looks better (on a card that is at least twice as powerful as the PS3's graphics chip, to boot!). GREAT SCOTT! Who'd have guessed? It's not like the PS3 version is running at a lower native resolution and has lower texture quality due to it's RAM... oh wait, it is.

Boerseun

Banned
Today I finally managed to track down a boxed copy of Puzzle Agent (in Germany). From the Telltale library I've already bought boxed copies of Sam & Max Season One, Season Two, Tales of Monkey Island, and now Puzzle Agent. Hopefully BttFtG will get the same treatment so that I can add it to my collection.

StevieP

Banned
Revolutionary said:
The mouse controls are fine but I disagree, I prefer playing it with a pad... particularly in parts where you don't know what you can highlight (
the pipe in Episode 1 comes to mind
)... just press R2.

...and this is the second time you've made the Captain Obvious observation that the PC version looks better (on a card that is at least twice as powerful as the PS3's graphics chip, to boot!). GREAT SCOTT! Who'd have guessed? It's not like the PS3 version is running at a lower native resolution and has lower texture quality due to it's RAM... oh wait, it is.

I know it's totally being captain obvious, but the hardware requirements for this game aren't that heavy. Most people could easily play it on their PC and get a better experience out of it, including hooking up a console pad and using it.

Top Bottom