• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

Platy

Willy105 said:
Alright, here you go:

1343524-lulzspoilers_1_.png

The feeling you get while highlighting that is as close as I can find that will give you an idea of what the intro is like without actually spoiling it for you.

You are an evil person =(

dream said:
Wait, what? That's actually Christopher Lloyd as Doc in the game?
well since doc has teenagers with Mary now, it IS a substantially older Doc than the one we spent time with in the films (that last moment in 3 ignored). so i'm okay with him sounding older :)

i just finished it anyway. twas good, not the best episode... however it looks like a good start, and since they're doing what they're doing with the next one, i think the combined impact of episode 1 and 2 could be pretty damn good.

plus, what could be more christmassy that running around Bedford Falls and the town square from Gremlins in a video game?

gremlins game next please Telltale!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I see folks talking about playing this on their pc->TV with wiimote. I got family coming over for xmas and think this may be a fun thing to do together...what utilities do I need for the wiimote? Just bluetooth dongle and keymapper?

Finished the first episode last night. Damn, it was sooo good. But I did get stuck on one puzzle,
triggering the elevator in the soup kitchen
, but when I finally figured out where I had to "click" I was wishing that you could "highlight" the interactive parts of the environment.

Can't wait for episode two. I can see myself double dipping on the PS3 version if it ever gets down to $15 or less. Hell, I might buy Strong Bad on PSN since I'm on vacation next week.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Finished the first episode last night. Damn, it was sooo good. But I did get stuck on one puzzle,
triggering the elevator in the soup kitchen
, but when I finally figured out where I had to "click" I was wishing that you could "highlight" the interactive parts of the environment.

Can't wait for episode two. I can see myself double dipping on the PS3 version if it ever gets down to $15 or less. Hell, I might buy Strong Bad on PSN since I'm on vacation next week.

You can highlight interactive parts, not sure what key it is, but it's RT on a 360 pad.

I find controllers a lot more comfortable for the control type Telltale has been running with for their last few games.

HadesGigas said:
You can highlight interactive parts, not sure what key it is, but it's RT on a 360 pad.

I find controllers a lot more comfortable for the control type Telltale has been running with for their last few games.
Just finished!

I may have to do that for Episode 2. I was having tons of trouble moving Marty around in
Young Doc's lab
. I really enjoyed the ending, and seeing the Tannen
manure truck
tradition continue was hilarious. Telltale has a new fan. It's so great to be with these characters again.

HadesGigas said:

Damn, didn't even know I could use my wired '360 pad with game! I thought it was KB+M only!

I'll remember that for episode two, thanks!

Platy

Willy105 said:
:(

I am trying to be nice. Why would you want to spoil yourself?

At best I will only play in february (for free .... and even if i payed i have some indie blundles to finish xD) and i already spoiled myself that it
begins with a dream sequence
and i don't want to be spoiled by anything beyond that ... i just want to know what this intro is about specialy because
i already saw some pics in the flickr that looks like the begining of the movie !

Also i just wanted to have all the spoiler i need in one place for me to stop to highlight every spoilered text just to get an anser to my question =P

WillyFive

Platy said:
At best I will only play in february (for free .... and even if i payed i have some indie blundles to finish xD) and i already spoiled myself that it
begins with a dream sequence
and i don't want to be spoiled by anything beyond that ... i just want to know what this intro is about specialy because
i already saw some pics in the flickr that looks like the begining of the movie !

Also i just wanted to have all the spoiler i need in one place for me to stop to highlight every spoilered text just to get an anser to my question =P

Alright then.

The game begins at the scene at the mall parking lot where Doc tries out the DeLorean for the first time, making his dog the world's first time traveler. The DeLorean speeds up to 88 mph and disappears just like it did in the movie. You can even make Marty say the same lines.

But the twist is, the DeLorean never came back. Doc starts to panic, and Marty looks through Doc's manual for clues. But suddenly, Doc starts to turn invisible (like Marty did in BTTF1), and then the space time continuum rips apart.

Diehard BTTF fan here. Loaded it up with my girlfriend, a non gamer, and we both loved it.

Any talk about releasing it as a complete disc in stores down the line? I'd definitely double dip and buy it again were they to do that.

MasterAJ22 said:
Diehard BTTF fan here. Loaded it up with my girlfriend, a non gamer, and we both loved it.

Any talk about releasing it as a complete disc in stores down the line? I'd definitely double dip and buy it again were they to do that.

You get a free (+shipping) disc at the end of the season if you buy it from Telltale's website.

With commentary and bloopers and stuff like that too.

markatisu

Just loaded it up with my 2008 Macbook and it runs great! I knew Telltale would do a good job but this exceeds my expectations

Bring on Episode 2 :D

I don't know if this has been brought up or not but
why was 1931 Doc not shitting his pants whenever Marty used the tape recorder?
I mean, that's a piece of technology that won't surface for several decades. Weird.

I had good fun with the game, and it definitely feels Back to the Futurey. However, Thomas F. Wilson is definitely missed--knockoff Tannen is nowhere near as good as knockoff Marty.
Jake said:
I think the wired 360 controller is supported, but covertly, as in there won't be any face button icons on screen or anything, but you can do all the interactions you would normally do. A selects things, Y opens inventory, B is back/cancel, Start brings up the menu, bumpers can toggle between items in the world if you dont want to walk Marty over. I can't vouch that this works in the released builds, but on internal builds we can play with the 360 pad.
Yeah, works fine. I played with what seems to have become my preferred PC setup of controller/mouse, walking with the controller's analog stick while clicking on things with mouse.
Feep said:
Is anyone else a little disappointed that (early game spoilers)
the opening was just a dream? I was fucking going CRAZY at that intro, and then it wasn't real.
= (
Somehow screwing things up so the initial experiment goes horribly awry would be a pretty cool premise to see play out.

GhaleonQ

*sigh* There was a time in my life when, if I had a video reference, I could quote the script of the trilogy word-for-word with 90% accuracy.

This is another B-effort from Telltale. I appreciate that they're doing good Monkey Island, Back To The Future, and Sam And Max games, but I wish they'd give them the proper attention to make something memorable.

CB3 said:
Am i the only one depressed at how old Doc sounds :(

You want to be depressed, huh? http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=6268931

LiK

got it to work on my MBP finally. pumped up everything in the gfx to max settings. just finished it.

really enjoyed the story. nice continuation of the franchise. the only neg i have is some of the technical stuff like missing audio from some dialogue. the puzzles were simple and easy to figure out except for maybe 2 of them. i turned off the goal system and it was more enjoyable trying to figure stuff out from what the people say rather than letting the game let me know.

RagnarokX

Freedom = $1.05 said:
I don't know if this has been brought up or not but
why was 1931 Doc not shitting his pants whenever Marty used the tape recorder?
I mean, that's a piece of technology that won't surface for several decades. Weird.
A quick search on wikipedia reveals that that technology already existed then.

RagnarokX said:
A quick search on wikipedia reveals that that technology already existed then.
C'mon, dudes an eccentric young scientist. You don't think he'd lose his shit when he sees something that sleek and small, doing the thing it's doing as well as it's doing it? I understand that one has to suspend their disbelief, sure, but this bothered me quite a bit.

Just finished this, loved it. One complaint, though.

(One of the final puzzles)
I spent a good while climbing around that car because the HUD was obscuring the antenna. That was kind of sloppy.

LevityNYC

Banned
markatisu said:
Just loaded it up with my 2008 Macbook and it runs great! I knew Telltale would do a good job but this exceeds my expectations

Bring on Episode 2 :D

Played for about 30 minutes tonight... yeah its awesome.

The Michael J Fox sound alike is amazing. I keep forgetting its not really him. Very well done. Sure, so far the story feels like fan fiction, but its still very very cool.

It runs perfectly at MAX settings on my 13" 2010 Macbook Pro with an Nvidia 320M

ShockingAlberto said:
Just finished this, loved it. One complaint, though.

(One of the final puzzles)
I spent a good while climbing around that car because the HUD was obscuring the antenna. That was kind of sloppy.
Heh, yeah. I ended up going to the hints system and saying "...what antenna?" I guess I should make more use of that button that puts a circle over any interactive spots.

Enjoying the game, but the compression on the voice tracks is awful. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this issue.

Yerolo

Playing this has made me feel like digging out the DVDs and doing a BTTF marathon, so it says alot about the quality of this game.

Marty's voice is spot on, but Biff sounds nothing like Biff unfortunately. Christopher Lloyd just sounds alot older obviously, but props to Telltale on being able to drag him along for the ride

MGHA

It took me three hours to find out I have to be standing still to trigger things like talking to an npc.

SO I am loving the game so far. I am a little sad they didn't let you drive the car manualy.

Cartman86

Banned
Quote said:
Enjoying the game, but the compression on the voice tracks is awful. I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this issue.

Yeah been playing Sam & Max recently and noticed it there as well. Everything with a S sound was pretty bad.

Brashnir

Finished this last night, and loved it. The pacing is great, and it hits all the points you'd want to see in a BTTF game without simply recreating the movies.

While Biff's voice was a bit weak, I don't get the complaints about Christopher Lloyd's Doc. The
Dream sequence is a bit jarring since he's not repeating the exact same delivery as the original film
but other than that, I thought he sounded great.

I need to get a time machine now to get myself to February ASAP.

Vexidus

This game looks amazing! I loved Giant Bomb's quick look. I plan on picking this up day one when it releases on PSN.

so1337

Dammit. The game freezes as soon as
Marty answers when Doc will be hearing from the patent office.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm playing on an iMac.

markatisu

so1337 said:
Dammit. The game freezes as soon as
Marty answers when Doc will be hearing from the patent office.
Anyone else had this problem? I'm playing on an iMac.

Try adjusting the graphic settings down, there are points in the game that have made my Mac crap out and by just adjusting the settings down by 1 made it get through it.

eXistor

Just finished it. Yeah, just like all of Telltale's games, this feels like it was churned out of a factory. The tech behind it just won't do. This cheap looking 3d really isn't the way guys, try a 2d game for once. I'm glad they've at least gotten the story and characters right, which makes the game worthwhile for fans. The puzzles are okay, but way too easy and obvious for the most part, the voiceacting is really spotty. The guy doing Marty's voice is just fine and it's good to hear Chris Lloyd's voice again, even if it does sound like he's a 100 years old, but the rest of the cast is just mediocre to decent.

I always get the feeling TT just don't have what it takes to make a great game, just decent ones.

eshwaaz

Yerolo said:
Playing this has made me feel like digging out the DVDs and doing a BTTF marathon, so it says alot about the quality of this game.

Marty's voice is spot on, but Biff sounds nothing like Biff unfortunately. Christopher Lloyd just sounds alot older obviously, but props to Telltale on being able to drag him along for the ride
I'm beginning to wonder if Wilson would not even approve a sound-alike, so they just had to go with a very loose approximation. George doesn't look or sound anything like Crispin Glover, which I assume means Glover was not involved with the project, either.

so1337

markatisu said:
Try adjusting the graphic settings down, there are points in the game that have made my Mac crap out and by just adjusting the settings down by 1 made it get through it.
That did the trick, thanks.

Just finished it. Amazing first episode.

eXistor said:
Just finished it. Yeah, just like all of Telltale's games, this feels like it was churned out of a factory. The tech behind it just won't do. This cheap looking 3d really isn't the way guys, try a 2d game for once.
2D animation is real expensive, especially to the standards you probably want it. I think I'll pick this one up- though I loved the original Sam & Max the comedy in their 3D versions just seemed drab to me. But this looks a lot more interesting and I like the prospect of trying out real episodic content and looking forward to the next episode. Oh and it takes ages- which isn't conducive to the episodic format at all. Just saying what they are probably thinking.

I went to my friends's house and he was playing the game. I think I spoiled myself the ending, if
Doc and Marty in a police van with a weird rocket-bycicle
is indeed the final part

Gui_PT

Anasui Kishibe said:
I went to my friends's house and he was playing the game. I think I spoiled myself the ending, if
Doc and Marty in a police van with a weird rocket-bycicle
is indeed the final part

Yeah, that is the final part.

Just finished episode 1, thought everything was awesome and cannot wait for part 2. TT has definitely done great justice with franchise. Only weakpoint so far I think is Tannon's voice, but it does by no means ruin a great game.

Peff

Oni Jazar said:
Hearing everyone complain about Biff's voice makes me really pissed that TellTale didn't even ask Tom Wilson. >:/

They did, apparently it was his agent that didn't pass the offer along.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Finally beat the episode. Great stuff!

Some (very) spoilery comments, don't highlight unless you have already beaten the episode:
- They've clearly set up some romance between Emmett and Edna, which makes me think they've basically kept the 1938 story pitch from the July survey (click here if you want to read it, but be aware: it may spoil you stuff for the next episodes).
- Marty starting to disappear surprised me, I was honestly expecting this to happen to Doc because of the point above leading to grim consequences (and because of the dream sequence).
- I'm all giddy for what they seem to be doing for episode 2, with Marty having to undo timeline-changing mistakes undetected. Loved the concept in BTTF2. I just hope they come up with some twists to differentiate from that one.
- The above mentioned dream sequence was total mindfuck. Loved it.

Noticed something weird.

Somehow, a female NPC appears both in 1986 and in 1931, Marty looks startled. Either it's just a joke of the development team (or laziness...), or it could have some plot significance.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymd0uh.png

The game did not blow me away, but I was certainly satisfied with it as a first episode. The story in particular went in a pleasant direction and I am very curious about what they will do with it in the remaining episodes.

I just wish Emerson-Johnson and Telltale would be more daring when it comes to creating music: I prefer his original creations over his arrangements of Silvestri's compositions. It would be cool if they did something like what Gordy Haab did for Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, that is using the original music as the basis and changing them so much that they are still noticeable but largely become an entirely new composition.

Jake

Prime Blue said:
Noticed something weird.

Somehow, a female NPC appears both in 1986 and in 1931, Marty looks startled. Either it's just a joke of the development team (or laziness...), or it could have some plot significance.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ymd0uh.png

The game did not blow me away, but I was certainly satisfied with it as a first episode. The story in particular went in a pleasant direction and I am very curious about what they will do with it in the remaining episodes.

I just wish Emerson-Johnson and Telltale would be more daring when it comes to creating music: I prefer his original creations over his arrangements of Silvestri's compositions. It would be cool if they did something like what Gordy Haab did for Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, that is using the original music as the basis and changing them so much that they are still noticeable but largely become an entirely new composition.

Leaning on the original Silvestri melodies was design direction he was given in this episode. As the story progresses and moves into it's own places, I imagine the music will too. If you look onyoutube for Jared's music from Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures, or some of the music he worked on with Clint Bajakian for Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb (eg "The Kracken"), they gove pretty good examples of hm taking ideas and sounds from licenses and going new places.

Top Bottom