• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

StevieP said:
I know it's totally being captain obvious, but the hardware requirements for this game aren't that heavy. Most people could easily play it on their PC and get a better experience out of it, including hooking up a console pad and using it.
You're right, the sys reqs aren't that heavy. But TT has Vern stepping up their tech with each game they've been making in the last few years. My late '07 MBP can run Monkey Island and Sam & Max Ep. 3 without a problem. But it isn't powerful enough to handle BttF.

I'm glad I have a decent gaming PC laptop to run it. But I'm bummed to hear that PS3 version looks crappy.

And what?! BttF has native '360 pad support?! Sweet, didn't know that. I played through the first episode with KB&M, but I'll definitely tackle the rest of the season with my pad.

ElRenoRaven

Reluctant-Hero said:
You're right, the sys reqs aren't that heavy. But TT has Vern stepping up their tech with each game they've been making in the last few years. My late '07 MBP can run Monkey Island and Sam & Max Ep. 3 without a problem. But it isn't powerful enough to handle BttF.

I'm glad I have a decent gaming PC laptop to run it. But I'm bummed to hear that PS3 version looks crappy.

And what?! BttF has native '360 pad support?! Sweet, didn't know that. I played through the first episode with KB&M, but I'll definitely tackle the rest of the season with my pad.

Ok just played the PS3 version and it looks pretty damn good I think. Course I'm not a graphics whore mind you and don't notice little things. 20 bucks and trophy support are nice bonuses too.

Helped me decide which version to buy and PS3 it is.

Just saw the trailer for episode 2. Looks like the Delorean retains it's hover capabilities. Sweet. God I wish I had the money to buy this.

Massa

StevieP said:
I know it's totally being captain obvious, but the hardware requirements for this game aren't that heavy. Most people could easily play it on their PC and get a better experience out of it, including hooking up a console pad and using it.

I can play it on my low end PC but it's definitely not a better experience on it. I'll get the PS3 version for episodes 2-5.

bengraven

So if you buy BTTP, you get all episodes in that package right? This isn't $25 per episode? Because I don't see an option to buy eps individually on the Steam page. And if every episode is "free" after you buy the game, $25 is a steal and I'm going to buy it like RIGHT fucking now.

LakeEarth said:
Posted before, but the annoying music from the NES version is actually super sped up version of Power of Love.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTY93ZxTZpY

Though I think the youtube guy might've edited it a bit to fit better.

MIND BLOWN.

Xater

bengraven said:
So if you buy BTTP, you get all episodes in that package right? This isn't $25 per episode? Because I don't see an option to buy eps individually on the Steam page. And if every episode is "free" after you buy the game, $25 is a steal and I'm going to buy it like RIGHT fucking now.

Yes for 25 bucks you get all the episodes.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Greetings Time Traveler,

Strap in, rev up your DeLorean and get ready for 121 gigawatts of
adventure: Your FREE episode
- Back to the Future - Episode 1: It's About Time -
is now available!

Yay.

ElRenoRaven

GuessWho said:
Did they send you an email? I still haven`t received anything.

It's up though. Go to your telltale page. It was up yesterday for me to download even though I didn't get the email till today.

Okay my wife and are looking at getting Back to the Future. I tried out the PS3 demo and didn't notice any graphic problems, is the iPad version any better or worse?

I just don't know what version I should get. I'm just wary of trusting Telltale to fully support a series on the iPad. PC isn't an option for spec reasons (and its not as fun to play with another person). Any rough ideas how quick EP 2 may appear on the iPad or PS3?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Just finished it, it's shorter than the first and there's basically 2 new characters, but it works for me. There's a couple of tedious puzzles (spoiler)
I cant tell if 'I need to find someone! I know, einstein smell this random object!' is supposed to be a joke or not, i think it's been used 4 times in 2 episodes now
but theres some good stuff too when you figure it out without the hints.

I wont spoil the end but I'll say I'm really excited for Ep 3.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Got my free episode. Had to turn the graphics quality down a notch to make my laptop run it smoothly. I like the semi-caricatured/cartoony style they've gone for, but so far it's been pretty easy, far moreso than old point n' click games like Broken Sword or Monkey Island.

Combichristoffersen said:
Got my free episode. Had to turn the graphics quality down a notch to make my laptop run it smoothly. I like the semi-caricatured/cartoony style they've gone for, but so far it's been pretty easy, far moreso than old point n' click games like Broken Sword or Monkey Island.

Well it's episode 1, but yeah it's not going to get THAT hard even late in the series. Theres no item combination, theres no pixel hunting, and there's a hint system.

Ghost said:
Just finished it, it's shorter than the first and there's basically 2 new characters, but it works for me. There's a couple of tedious puzzles (spoiler)
I cant tell if 'I need to find someone! I know, einstein smell this random object!' is supposed to be a joke or not, i think it's been used 4 times in 2 episodes now
but theres some good stuff too when you figure it out without the hints.

I wont spoil the end but I'll say I'm really excited for Ep 3.

The Einstein things, basically it seems like any object that Marty comments on the "smell" of ("really smells like my grandpa!") is going to used to track them down at some point.

Splatt

Better than episode 1, but still quite easy for an adventure game, even by TT standards. Either way, episode 3 should be interesting.

deleted

I don't want to spoiler myself reading through the whole thread, since I just started playing, so forgive me, if it is already already answered, but:
why is the DeLorean still intact? Will this be explained?
The game starts after BttF 3, but at that point the DeLorean should be wasted. Am I missing something?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
xyla said:
I don't want to spoiler myself reading through the whole thread, since I just started playing, so forgive me, if it is already already answered, but:
why is the DeLorean still intact? Will this be explained?
The game starts after BttF 3, but at that point the DeLorean should be wasted. Am I missing something?
It gets explained, but in a dialog branch that's easy to miss.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Played episode 2 last night.

Here be spoilers:
It felt better than the first, probably thanks to the club looking a bit more lively than the Hill Valley plaza and a few nice puzzles, but I still have the weird feeling I'm not appreciating the game as much as I'd like. Even with hints and goals turned off, it feels like it's holding your hand too much (probably intentional, I guess they wanted BTTF to be more approachable to casual movie fans) and there's not nearly enough stuff/people you can interact with to make the setting interesting. An empty and "dead" 1931 Hill Valley feels like a wasted chance. I know we'll probably see more setpieces as the episodes go on (given the way the episode ends, Marty will probably need to go back there yet another time to fix things).
That said, I like the setup for the third episode. It was already partially spoiled in one of the illustrations in the launcher, but I'm curious to see how it's going to pan out. Out of the story pitches in the old survey, this probably was the one with most potential. Fingers crossed.

Big One

Banned
Just finished episode 2 a few hours ago myself. I really liked the focus on the bar in the chapter, but episode 3 preview completely blew me away. Shit is getting real now.

vocab

I would like to applaud Telltale for finally optimizing their engine, and including advanced graphical options. Sam and Max Season 3 ran pretty random on my computer (mid to highend specs). Ran fine for the most part, but stutters when there's certain kind of shadows on screen. BTTF runs so god damn smooth on maxed.

mclem

One thing from the next time trailer:

The brief glimpse of Lorraine looked about right.

Thinking way ahead, I'm curious how episode 5's going to pan out. I think it's possible to deduce the basic premise of 3 and 4 now.

Spoilered; they're only theories about what's upcoming, but they feel about right.

3:
Doc not seeing Frankenstein meant he never got the key lessons about scientists thinking they were a God. Episode is probably focussed on getting away from the new 1986, controlled by Doc.

4:
Back in 1931, you have to break up Emmett and Edna, to prevent the future in Ep3 from coming to pass.

While this all makes sense, I really don't see how episode 5 stems from that. I assume there will be revelations in 3 and 4 which lead to 5.

Other small theory, although it all fits perfectly:

Trixie
is a stage name

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem, I agree completely with your theories.

mclem said:
Other small theory, although it all fits perfectly:

Trixie
is a stage name
I think episode 2 already nearly confirmed that, with Marty (and George's picture) not disappearing after the kiss. She's very likely to be Marty's grandma.

mclem

Jocchan said:
mclem, I agree completely with your theories.

I think episode 2 already nearly confirmed that, with Marty (and George's picture) not disappearing after the kiss. She's very likely to be Marty's grandma.

That's what I was alluding to, yes. I assume they'll make it explicit at some point, although I quite like the fact that it's at the moment just something the player can deduce.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem said:
That's what I was alluding to, yes. I assume they'll make it explicit at some point, although I quite like the fact that it's at the moment just something the player can deduce.
Agreed.

Does anyone else think that
Kid Tannen is the coolest of all Tannens?

"You're a mistake, all right!" is still one of my favorite lines.

WillyFive

I don't know if it has been discussed or not, but something about Episode 1 seemed important to me:

When we see Biff come out of the videostore, it doesn't look like he came out with a video, but a package of some kind. He was looking around as if it was something he didn't want to see he had. Could it be important later on in the story?

Willy105 said:
I don't know if it has been discussed or not, but something about Episode 1 seemed important to me:

When we see Biff come out of the videostore, it doesn't look like he came out with a video, but a package of some kind. He was looking around as if it was something he didn't want to see he had. Could it be important later on in the story?
I thought that he had gotten a dirty movie.

Alex Dee

Neo Member
Slight problem with the free episode; it's not prompting me to log in, so I can't play it. Anyone having the same problem?

just finished it, and i have to say it was better than episode 1. a bit easy but i expected that. i enjoy how dark thematically it is. the next episode looks really different too, looking forwards to that!

gdt

How much is this on PSN? Does it run fine? How many episodes are out?

And, are they good? I must know these things.

gdt5016 said:
How much is this on PSN? Does it run fine? How many episodes are out?

And, are they good? I must know these things.
i think it's $20 on PSN for the whole season. i know that only episode 1 is out. don't expect lots of locations or difficult puzzles and i think you'll enjoy it quite a bit, presuming you're a fan of BTTF.

ViolentP

plagiarize said:
just finished it, and i have to say it was better than episode 1. a bit easy but i expected that. i enjoy how dark thematically it is. the next episode looks really different too, looking forwards to that!

Completely agree. Episode 3 looks like it's going to be quite interesting.

RagnarokX

ViolentP said:
Completely agree. Episode 3 looks like it's going to be quite interesting.
There's something about Episode 3 that bugs me a bit though.
Every other time Doc and Marty have traveled to an alternate timeline they coexisted with or replaced their alternate selves. When they traveled to millionaire Biff 1985 alternate Doc was in an asylum and alternate Marty was in a boarding school, but they didn't disappear and become their alternate selves and their memories never change from causing changes. The only way you disappear is if you were never born or die before the alternate present. But in episode 3 Doc disappears and becomes alternate Doc and Marty doesn't disappear and become alternate Marty. It's a minor thing I guess. The concept of Big Brother Brown is pretty interesting.

Peff

RagnarokX said:
Every other time Doc and Marty have traveled to an alternate timeline they coexisted with or replaced their alternate selves. When they traveled to millionaire Biff 1985 alternate Doc was in an asylum and alternate Marty was in a boarding school, but they didn't disappear and become their alternate selves and their memories never change from causing changes. The only way you disappear is if you were never born or die before the alternate present. But in episode 3 Doc disappears and becomes alternate Doc and Marty doesn't disappear and become alternate Marty. It's a minor thing I guess. The concept of Big Brother Brown is pretty interesting.

That's assuming that
Alternate Doc isn't dead as well and all that remains is an AI
:p But I suppose that
ot's most likely a little license that Telltale took to have Christopher Lloyd record less lines, like they've been doing so far.

L00P

RagnarokX said:

BTTF's temporal logic have always been kinda shaky, and I think
Doc becoming that other Doc
makes more sense. But like I said, this is BTTF we're talking about.

ColonelT

Episode 2 appears to have overheated my 2.5-year-old gaming laptop, resulting in an immediate shutdown. (Previously the only game to have done that was StarCraft 2: Return of StarCraft.) I don't feel like Telltale has optimized these games very well at all; there's nothing happening here that should be taxing my system this much.

I ended up finishing it; I'll agree with the general consensus that Ep2 was better than Ep1, and that Ep3 has the potential to be better than both.

Top Bottom