• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

RagnarokX said:
There's something about Episode 3 that bugs me a bit though.
Every other time Doc and Marty have traveled to an alternate timeline they coexisted with or replaced their alternate selves. When they traveled to millionaire Biff 1985 alternate Doc was in an asylum and alternate Marty was in a boarding school, but they didn't disappear and become their alternate selves and their memories never change from causing changes. The only way you disappear is if you were never born or die before the alternate present. But in episode 3 Doc disappears and becomes alternate Doc and Marty doesn't disappear and become alternate Marty. It's a minor thing I guess. The concept of Big Brother Brown is pretty interesting.

I read somewhere else a decent explanation.

Doc is really old at this point, over a decade older than at the end of BTTF3. In the movies Doc went to some sort of rejuvination clinic in the future that extended his life "by another 15 years".

Changing the past so he never invents time travel means he never extended his life, and he should already be dead of natural causes.

RagnarokX

HadesGigas said:
I read somewhere else a decent explanation.

Doc is really old at this point, over a decade older than at the end of BTTF3. In the movies Doc went to some sort of rejuvination clinic in the future that extended his life "by another 15 years".

Changing the past so he never invents time travel means he never extended his life, and he should already be dead of natural causes.
But if you use that logic
then none of the events of the movies ever happened, you have a massive grandfather paradox, and the universe should implode :p BttF time travel creates alternate timelines and time travelers are immune to the changes as long as they don't cause their deaths. I just realized that alternate 1985 in BttF2 doesn't make sense by this logic either because Doc would have never built the time machine either...

RagnarokX said:
But if you use that logic
then none of the events of the movies ever happened, you have a massive grandfather paradox, and the universe should implode :p BttF time travel creates alternate timelines instead of paradoxes (which is probably why the movies never dealt with a scenario where Doc didn't invent time travel). Heh, this is getting a lot more convoluted than the movies.

It seems like that might be the way they are going. That it basically undid the whole movie timeline, and Marty ends up stranded in the new 1985 without a working time machine and has to somehow convince someone (probably the new Doc) to invent time travel?

Marty still has Doc's journal, but I'm not sure if the contents would even still be in it.

I assume it will make more sense once we see it, or will at least be easier to pick out exactly what is "wrong".

vocab

Just beat the first episode. Very rough around the edges. Also, the amount of bugs I ran into were petty surprising considering this is a licensed project. Not quite as bad as the bugs from Sam & Max: The Tomb of Sammun-Mak, but missing audio, out of sync audio cues, animation jank, random objects appearing out of no where is pretty crappy. QA/testers at telltale really need to pay attention. Telltale jumping on all these new projects have got me worried about their quality now that they are pushing quantity.

For the actual story, and characters? Marty character in the game (not the voice) feels super awkward. His facial expressions does match his personality at all. Also, I do not care for Biffs voice actor. Story seems ok, typical BTTF fare, but hopefully it gets better because there's potential, but I don't know if Telltale can pull it off.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I just finished the episode and I really like where the series is heading. I'm glad the wait for Episode 3 won't be as long as it was for 2. In the mean time I need to continue working my way through Sam & Max.

Amory

Played through episode 1 today, and I really enjoyed it. Actually put me in such a BTTF mood that I then watched the trilogy over again :) gotta love 3 day weekends...

I paid for the season on ps3, which I think was a mistake. Adventure games just aren't built for a controller. It didn't really affect the overall experience though. I liked that it was easy, too, because for a game like this I'm playing it purely for the story, not because I'm looking for any challenge.

Wish I knew when episode 2 would be out on ps3, but im willing to wait.

Amory Blaine said:
Played through episode 1 today, and I really enjoyed it. Actually put me in such a BTTF mood that I then watched the trilogy over again :) gotta love 3 day weekends...

I paid for the season on ps3, which I think was a mistake. Adventure games just aren't built for a controller. It didn't really affect the overall experience though. I liked that it was easy, too, because for a game like this I'm playing it purely for the story, not because I'm looking for any challenge.

Wish I knew when episode 2 would be out on ps3, but im willing to wait.

This game is built for a controller. It's a better experience with a controller on PC, even.

DangerStepp

I finally picked this up with the righteous deal they had on the PS store and finished EP.1 last night. LOVED IT!

I was smiling and gushing like a fool the whole time. Well done, Telltale!!!

When are the subsequent episodes set to release for PS3? Are they going to lag a month behind the PC like the first episode?

ElRenoRaven

DangerStepp said:
I finally picked this up with the righteous deal they had on the PS store and finished EP.1 last night. LOVED IT!

I was smiling and gushing like a fool the whole time. Well done, Telltale!!!

When are the subsequent episodes set to release for PS3? Are they going to lag a month behind the PC like the first episode?

No clue. Sony and Telltale haven't said. My money though is that they'll stay a month behind.

Game Guru

RagnarokX said:
Every other time Doc and Marty have traveled to an alternate timeline they coexisted with or replaced their alternate selves. When they traveled to millionaire Biff 1985 alternate Doc was in an asylum and alternate Marty was in a boarding school, but they didn't disappear and become their alternate selves and their memories never change from causing changes. The only way you disappear is if you were never born or die before the alternate present. But in episode 3 Doc disappears and becomes alternate Doc and Marty doesn't disappear and become alternate Marty. It's a minor thing I guess. The concept of Big Brother Brown is pretty interesting.

Episode 2 bugged me in a similar way.

Marty just fading in and out randomly doesn't fit with how time travel is depicted in the movies, but I like how Episode 2 explained it. Basically, by the time Marty is beginning to fade away, Arthur McFly was already dying, so traveling back in time to save him only lengthened the fading that Marty was already experiencing.

I do think HadesGigas's explanation for Episode 3 is spot on, though.

Doc is already well into his 90s by the time Marty meets up with him in Episode 1, considering he mentioned that his children were teenagers. Meanwhile, Citizen Brown would be 72 in his alternate 1986.

Fired up Episode 1 on PS3 last night, I'm about half way through. I think this is my first point and click game, to be honest. BTTF is my favorite movie of all time and I'm enjoying this game. There was 1 part that soured my experience, though:

When talking to young Doc Brown outside the courthouse, you had to record his mumblings so that old Doc Brown can solve the problem. I KNEW you had to record it using the tape recorder but for the life of me I couldn't actually get him to do it for probably 25 min. Every time I selected the recorder and approached him, he'd just talk to him rather than record. I followed him, tried planting the recorder on his path, and unlocked all 4 hints just to see they said "record him" (wow, thanks). It eventually worked even though I did nothing different...

ElRenoRaven

Gryphter said:
Fired up Episode 1 on PS3 last night, I'm about half way through. I think this is my first point and click game, to be honest. BTTF is my favorite movie of all time and I'm enjoying this game. There was 1 part that soured my experience, though:

When talking to young Doc Brown outside the courthouse, you had to record his mumblings so that old Doc Brown can solve the problem. I KNEW you had to record it using the tape recorder but for the life of me I couldn't actually get him to do it for probably 25 min. Every time I selected the recorder and approached him, he'd just talk to him rather than record. I followed him, tried planting the recorder on his path, and unlocked all 4 hints just to see they said "record him" (wow, thanks). It eventually worked even though I did nothing different...

Yea that was one of the few times a controller wasn't a good choice. How I eventually did it was stand up ahead of doc and highlight him. When he gets close but not too close hit the X button and it will trigger you recording him.

Also I'm with you there. I'm not a point and click adventure game fan but this was one I was determined to play. It helped knowing that Telltale was making it seeing as how they make the best point and click adventure games. It seems that they made this with it in mind that not all who play it are used to or play those types of games.

Apoc29

Finished Ep1 on PS3. Great Scott the controls are janky! I just want to walk in the direction I'm pushing the stick in, is that too much to ask?

Overall though, I'd say it's enjoyable. The puzzles aren't too taxing, but they could stand to be a bit more clever. The BTTF branding plays a huge part though; I don't think I would play the game without it.

Scarecrow

Just finished Ep. 2 and loving it. I don't really play point and click games much, so I'm glad the puzzles are super easy.

vocab

Apoc29 said:
Finished Ep1 on PS3. Great Scott the controls are janky! I just want to walk in the direction I'm pushing the stick in, is that too much to ask?

Ya. This is the first TT game where the controls go inverted when the camera changes. Sam and Max, and TOMI don't have this problem.

V_Ben

Banned
vocab said:
Ya. This is the first TT game where the controls go inverted when the camera changes. Sam and Max, and TOMI don't have this problem.

I thought I was going crazy when it started happening. Glad to see I wasn't :/

vocab said:

Yeah, I was fascinated and appalled by it. If you're moving in 1 direction, then the camera changes the angle to your other side, you continue to move "forward" even if the stick is in the opposite direction; moving to the left while I was holding right on the stick.

eXistor

Personally I liked Ep 2 a lot better than the first, but it's still very much budget-level gaming (which it is I suppose). In a way I'm grateful TellTale is bringing back all the games I want to play (BttF, Jurassic park, King's Quest, Monkey Island, Sam & Max), it's just a shame they're made by...well TellTale.

ElRenoRaven

Gryphter said:
Yeah, I was fascinated and appalled by it. If you're moving in 1 direction, then the camera changes the angle to your other side, you continue to move "forward" even if the stick is in the opposite direction; moving to the left while I was holding right on the stick.

Yea that would without a doubt have to be my only real complaint about it. I just usually stop for a second though when it changes angle changes. This allows me to press the proper way to move again. This allows me to keep guiding him without him moving like a drunk and running into everything or spinning circles when trying to turn.

GuessWho

I don't get it. I've installed the game on my computer and when I press play nothing happens. Is this a common issue? I've tried reinstalling the game and it worked first time but when I tried it again it gives the same issue. Please help.

Scarecrow

GuessWho said:
I don't get it. I've installed the game on my computer and when I press play nothing happens. Is this a common issue? I've tried reinstalling the game and it worked first time but when I tried it again it gives the same issue. Please help.
I had the same problem. The only way I could figure out how to play is to keep re-installing it.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
finished ep1 and ep2 last weekend.

first, as my first ever telltale game(s), controls for moving the character around are..... awful? I mean wth? I since played TOMI on PC (same awful controls) and double dipped on TOMI on PS3 (better movement controls), but seriously... why can't we just have click to move?

Anyway, that's about it for the complaints. The rest is well... the game is crazy easy. but the point of these ADVENTURE games was always the ADVENTURE, and in BttF's case, so far the adventure has been pretty fun. :) The teaser for Ep3 has me waiting on pins and needles for next month. I definitely don't see myself compelled to double dip on this on PS3, but if Telltale does Jurassic Park day and date on the PS3 I could very well be interested in grabbing it over there. I considered Sam n Max also but $40 for the complete series on PC is too good to pass up. But really, the movement controls on PC are horrible.

So yeah, $25 for this entire game is a steal. $20 on PS3 is even better, but $5 extra for earlier releases and easier pnc throughout the game is probably enough to outweigh the cheaper price and superior movement controls.

bring on march!

GuessWho

Scarecrow said:
I had the same problem. The only way I could figure out how to play is to keep re-installing it.

That's ridiculous! No patch or statement have been made to address the issue?

Plasma

Banned
All the episodes just popped up on my Steam list (was just 1&2 before), thought they were playable but it is just coming soon.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
eXistor said:
Personally I liked Ep 2 a lot better than the first, but it's still very much budget-level gaming (which it is I suppose).
Thinking about it, this is probably what bothers me most about this BTTF series. It feels like it needed a much higher budget :/

RagnarokX said:
Here's my take on it.
We've sometime seen three important points in Back tot he Future time travel.

1. Something sets events askew.
2. This causes events to slowly propagate through the timeline at some hard to determine rate.
3. It may be coincidence from that hard to determine rate, but there seems to be a point at which those askew events can't be simply corrected. At this point the change is done.

So an example from the first movie would be

1. Marty knocks George away from the car about to hit him.
2. We see Marty's family disappearing from the photograph as time continues.
3. The effects of this change come to a head at the dance, but things are pushed back on track (more or less).

Or from the third movie

1. Doc doesn't get shot by Tannen at the dance.
2. The name on the photo of the headstone begins to change.
3. The new name becomes clear as the time of he duel approaches, though with this knowledge Marty changes his actions anyway.

At the end of game episode 2, Doc goes through such a change, but it happens very quickly.

1. Thanks to what they've just done, young Doc and Edna are friendly.
2. The Frankenstein ticket starts to fade, though they don't realize until it's too late.
3. Young Doc doesn't go see Frankenstein. The change complete, old Doc as we know him disappears.

However, the Frankenstein viewing wasn't directly pivotal to Marty, so he seems to be on a separate timer, something like

1. Thanks to what they've just done, young Doc and Edna are friendly.
2. ?
3. Many decades later, Marty's life plays out differently.

So this gives him some extra time to deal with things before the changes propagate to a point where he's directly erased/replaced. Maybe a bit wish-washy, but hey.

mclem

GuessWho said:

It seems that the version of the splash screen you see on exiting the game won't actually let you play the game. Closing the application completely then re-opening it works for me.

Fantasmo

I'm having an issue with the PS3 version.

I'm at the part where
you need to record young Emmett's math problem or whatever, and I press Square to go to the inventory, choose the Tape Recorder with X, and then it goes back to the game. When I choose Square when following Emmett it goes right back to the inventory. When I press X it does nothing.

Is this a bug?

Jin34

junkster said:
I'm having an issue with the PS3 version.

I'm at the part where
you need to record young Emmett's math problem or whatever, and I press Square to go to the inventory, choose the Tape Recorder with X, and then it goes back to the game. When I choose Square when following Emmett it goes right back to the inventory. When I press X it does nothing.

Is this a bug?

Don't know about the PS3 version, but on the PC you just equip the item and press the same buttong you use to talk to people.

Fantasmo

Haha.. I tried it about 10 times and it didn't work, instead it just unequipped the item. Tried it again just now, and it worked. Don't know what if it was me or the game, but thanks!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
mclem said:
It seems that the version of the splash screen you see on exiting the game won't actually let you play the game. Closing the application completely then re-opening it works for me.

I've tried to close the splash screen and re-opening it, but no luck. Seems like the only way to get around the problem is to re-install the game whenever I want to play it :(

ElRenoRaven

Square Triangle said:
Enjoying the hell out of this, all the inside jokes and phrases from the movies are great.

When is Episode 2 releasing on PSN?

There hasn't been a date set yet. Although all signs point to it releasing on PSN around the time Episode 3 releases on PC. So sometime probably toward the end of the month.

Wtf. I'm haing some difficulty.
I cannot seem to record young Doc mumbling and talking to let Doc listen to while he is in jail. I follow him through the courthyard with the tape recorder on hand. Is there some button I need to press?

MNC

Square Triangle said:
Wtf. I'm haing some difficulty.
I cannot seem to record young Doc mumbling and talking to let Doc listen to while he is in jail. I follow him through the courthyard with the tape recorder on hand. Is there some button I need to press?
Click on him with the item (the item as your cursor)

So today Ep3 will be hitting, right? Looks to be freaking great!
edit: Shit, no, sorry. Misread March 2011 as March 11th :(

mclem

I've just realised that Jurassic Park is down as April. Have they ever had two series running concurrently before? I don't recall so.

FoneBone

mclem said:
I've just realised that Jurassic Park is down as April. Have they ever had two series running concurrently before? I don't recall so.
Not episodic, though they've previously done the CSI games simultaneously with DD projects.

CozMick

Banned
I'm getting very slight black texture flickering around Marty sometimes on the PS3 version, is this just a game engine anomaly?

Does anyone else get it?

Bloody fantastic game though, BTTF trilogy is my fave 3 films of all time
Loved the Weird Science reference at the beginning, my 4th greatest film ever made :)

ElRenoRaven

CozMick said:
I'm getting very slight black texture flickering around Marty sometimes on the PS3 version, is this just a game engine anomaly?

Does anyone else get it?

Bloody fantastic game though, BTTF trilogy is my fave 3 films of all time
Loved the Weird Science reference at the beginning, my 4th greatest film ever made :)

I can't say that I've had that happen to me and I've played the hell out of it. I do remember reading some complaints about that though. So it has to be something caused by the setup of your console is my guess.

I'm just getting tired of waiting for Part 2 damn it. Hopefully next week we'll get episode 2. I do also agree. My two favorite trilogies are without a doubt Back to the Future followed by the RoboCop trilogy. While I'll aknowledge that Robocop 3 could have been better I still love it even. I'm getting off subject though.

Anyway back to BTTF. As far as the BTTF trilogy it's perfect. I don't think any series will ever be as perfect as that trilogy for me. I to this day watch it at least every other month.

ElRenoRaven

Woot woot!!!

If you've been dying to get your hands on the next installment of developer Telltale Games' Back to the Future season, the wait is almost over. Episode 2: "Get Tannen!" arrives on the North American PlayStation Network on Tuesday, March 29.

Bout damn time!!

Top Bottom