• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

Notice anything missing?
2qbr47n.jpg

I'm guessing she's not supposed to be around in this part of the story, but they forgot to delete the can. It's after you figure out the thing with Biff's watch and have him go get something for you...

It even sprays a bit when you first come in (spoiler remnants of one of the puzzles visible in the background if you haven't gotten all your demerits yet.)

ElRenoRaven

HadesGigas said:
Notice anything missing?
2qbr47n.jpg

I'm guessing she's not supposed to be around in this part of the story, but they forgot to delete the can. It's after you figure out the thing with Biff's watch and have him go get something for you...

It even sprays a bit when you first come in (spoiler remnants of one of the puzzles visible in the background if you haven't gotten all your demerits yet.)

Yea. Seems to be a glitch. I myself didn't experience it though. Others have while some have. So it seems not to affect everyone.

Oh and for anyone with the PS3 version who's having trouble getting the escape artist trophy. You have to look at the numbers on the counter when rescueing Artie. After that later in the game when Kid is shown something having to do with the arsonist and pulls out his gun to leave, then go bet on those numbers.

I had a hell of a time because people kept saying when he leaves that way. He does that twice though. Once before and then once at the end. It's that second time that you do that.

Got a chance to play episode 2 on PSN yesterday. Took only 3 hours to complete. Overall, I thought it was worse than episode 1. The setup in episode 1 was much more interesting and the feeling of going back in time is fresh. This episode just rehashes characters and setting. The speakeasy was a nice addition, but not enough interesting puzzles. Most of the puzzles were brain dead easy and the game presented a false sense of interaction. Very disappointed by Telltale and the effort in BttF. I loved ToMI, BttF is a big step down in all areas.

ElRenoRaven

marathonfool said:
Got a chance to play episode 2 on PSN yesterday. Took only 3 hours to complete. Overall, I thought it was worse than episode 1. The setup in episode 1 was much more interesting and the feeling of going back in time is fresh. This episode just rehashes characters and setting. The speakeasy was a nice addition, but not enough interesting puzzles. Most of the puzzles were brain dead easy and the game presented a false sense of interaction. Very disappointed by Telltale and the effort in BttF. I loved ToMI, BttF is a big step down in all areas.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. Wait for Episode 3 though. It's a massive departure from these first two.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Just beat episode 3 and it was amazing. Definitely the best of the bunch, by far.
Still very easy and the tiny walkable corridors are still annoying, but this time it was packed with content (something that seemed seriously lacking in the first two episodes). Even the animations seemed generally better (only exception
Jennifer hugging Marty, with her arms completely still while Marty moves
).
Can't wait to see where things are going with episode 4.

stupei

Any Mac users still have the original dmg for Episode 1 with the DRM issue resolved? Some people on the Telltale forums are saying they're using that version of Episode 1 to access the new episodes directly without getting stuck on the launcher. Want to try that possible fix out but I played the game during my time off on my Macbook Pro and deleted it to save space.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
One thing I didn't like is how much the time travel rules were bent during episode 3.
As Ragnarok said,
it doesn't make sense for Doc to turn into Citizen Brown, time travellers never turn into their alternate selves. Especially considering Marty didn't turn into Nerd Martin.
Also,
it doesn't make sense for Doc's diary to still have the flux capacitor plans. They should have been blank pages, just like the photos/newspapers change whenever history changes, since in this timeline Doc never wrote them.
I know BTTF did bend its rules a few times, but not to this extent imho.

Jocchan said:
One thing I didn't like is how much the time travel rules were bent during episode 3.
As Ragnarok said,
it doesn't make sense for Doc to turn into Citizen Brown, time travellers never turn into their alternate selves. Especially considering Marty didn't turn into Nerd Martin.
Also,
it doesn't make sense for Doc's diary to still have the flux capacitor plans. They should have been blank pages, just like the photos/newspapers change whenever history changes, since in this timeline Doc never wrote them.
I know BTTF did bend its rules a few times, but not to this extent imho.

Doc didn't change into anything, he was "erased from existence" (like marty and his siblings in the movie), they changed it so he never invented time travel and was never able to enhance his life expectancy in the future.

As for the notebook, it seems like they maybe tried to explain that. After you show it to Citizen Brown, he looks at that logo of a guy that's plastered all over stuff. Which looks similar to the flux capacitor. They don't come out and explain all this (at least not yet), but theoretically, Citizen Brown could have still bumped his head, saw that image, and drew it in his notebook. It's a stretch for sure, though they do point out that at that point "the other pages are blank". But again we don't know if those pages were filled in before or not.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
HadesGigas said:
Doc didn't change into anything, he was "erased from existence" (like marty and his siblings in the movie), they changed it so he never invented time travel and was never able to enhance his life expectancy in the future.

As for the notebook, it seems like they maybe tried to explain that. After you show it to Citizen Brown, he looks at that logo of a guy that's plastered all over stuff. Which looks similar to the flux capacitor. They don't come out and explain all this (at least not yet), but theoretically, Citizen Brown could have still bumped his head, saw that image, and drew it in his notebook. It's a stretch for sure, though they do point out that at that point "the other pages are blank". But again we don't know if those pages were filled in before or not.
Then why was Doc erased from existence but not Marty? Both characters should have been, since they existed equally as differently in the alternate timeline.

As for the notebook, I can sort of accept the flux capacitor part still being in. Maybe Doc still bumped his head and still drew the note, but Edna's influence led him to change his vision to something else later on.

I liked that there were some new places added, especially some areas we didn't get to see the insides of before like more of the court house. Some breaths of fresh air from exploring Hill Valley's center for a 3rd time.

It was also good to see several aspects of Marty's character being played upon in this chapter.

Also, I found it really funny when Marty and George were using ENHANCE on the video footage. It was so out of nowhere yet so suitable..

RagnarokX

HadesGigas said:

In BttF2
Marty and Doc travel to an alternate timeline where Marty is in a boarding school and Doc is in a mental hospital. They don't become these alternate selves and it's never explained if they replace their alternate selves or coexist. But in every BttF Marty and Doc return to the alternate 1985 created in BttF1 so it's implied they replace their alternate selves instead of coexist. The fading out of existence thing only occurs if you prevent your own birth.
HadesGigas said:
Marty still exists in the new timeline so he wasn't erased. Doc at age 80 or 90 or whatever (probably like 15 or 20 years older than Citizen Brown in 1985) does not exist in the new timeline where he didn't travel to the future and get some sort of medical treatment. Citizen Brown still has Doc's natural lifespan.
Doc didn't create the time machine in Biff's 1985 either...

Jocchan said:
Then why was Doc erased from existence but not Marty? Both characters should have been, since they existed equally as differently in the alternate timeline.

As for the notebook, I can sort of accept the flux capacitor part still being in. Maybe Doc still bumped his head and still drew the note, but Edna's influence led him to change his vision to something else later on.

Marty still exists in the new timeline so he wasn't erased. Doc at age 80 or 90 or whatever (probably like 15 or 20 years older than Citizen Brown in 1985) does not exist in the new timeline where he didn't travel to the future and get some sort of medical treatment. Citizen Brown still has Doc's natural lifespan.

I hope they give some official explanations for some of these issues on the season dvd commentary, it'd be interesting if they actually thought this stuff through or if they just hoped fans would be able to find ways to explain them.

HadesGigas said:
That's actually a really good explanation. I hope that's what Telltale goes with and not an out of left field hand-have.

RagnarokX said:
But in every BttF Marty and Doc return to the alternate 1985 created in BttF1 so it's implied they replace their alternate selves instead of coexist.
As a real world set of rules, this has its problems, but I take away that as long as things remain "close enough", the timeline doesn't get fussed over it--or the merging/changing process is subtle enough for us not to notice. Marty changes his life circumstances, but even so it ends up with a world where his room is decorated the same, and nobody notices an immediate difference in him. Whether his old memories are eventually replaced or supplanted, hard to say since we see so little of him interacting with his new life.

If anyone cares to and didn't at the time, after Episode 2 I wrote in this thread a huge-ass thing as to why I thought Doc disappeared but Marty didn't. In short, my theory is that due to Doc's life skewing off onto a different path much sooner than Marty's or the rest of Hill Valley's (in fact AS Doc and Marty were preparing to leave 1931), he was directly affected first.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The more I think about it, the more I realize it's a series-wide inconsistency. Time travellers (and the time machine) never change once they get to an alternate reality. They stay the same whatever happens and retain all their memories, unless they're not meant to be alive at all (which could be either because they were never born, or because they're already dead in the new reality). In this case, they fade out of existence to prevent a paradox.

One borderline case is in BTTF2, when Old Biff came back to 2015 after giving the almanac to his younger self: he faded out of existence, since he was supposed to be dead in the new alternate reality. But the reality itself didn't seem to change (unless it did slowly, if we accept that changes propagate through waves as suggested by Doc, and only changed after Marty and Dog got back to alternate 1985). Also, the canonicity of his disappearance is a bit dubious, since the scene was cut. In the final movie, we only see him feeling sick.

In Doc's case for Citizen Brown, even though his alternate self didn't submit to the same rejuvination treatment, the "he should be dead by then" hardly applies, since Citizen Brown, not having ever travelled through time, is alive and about 20 years younger than him (but looks the same because of no treatment). So, unless we accept Doc faded out because of the age difference to prevent a paradox (not that unreasonable, after all), then I'd say the "he should be dead by then" wouldn't work: Citizen Brown being still alive means that, even through the treatment Doc could be still alive without paradoxes. So, it must be something else to justify the inconsistency.

Cheesemeister said:
Found a bug:
Check out Biff's watch, then back out again. You'll see his disembodied hand floating there in space.
It's not a bug, it's a feature
of the Citizen Plus program.

JoshuaJSlone said:
As a real world set of rules, this has its problems, but I take away that as long as things remain "close enough", the timeline doesn't get fussed over it--or the merging/changing process is subtle enough for us not to notice. Marty changes his life circumstances, but even so it ends up with a world where his room is decorated the same, and nobody notices an immediate difference in him. Whether his old memories are eventually replaced or supplanted, hard to say since we see so little of him interacting with his new life.

If anyone cares to and didn't at the time, after Episode 2 I wrote in this thread a huge-ass thing as to why I thought Doc disappeared but Marty didn't. In short, my theory is that due to Doc's life skewing off onto a different path much sooner than Marty's or the rest of Hill Valley's (in fact AS Doc and Marty were preparing to leave 1931), he was directly affected first.
Well, it's pretty clear-cut that time travellers retain their memories. Marty and Doc remember everything from their past travels, even though those realities don't exist anymore.

Jocchan said:
Well, it's pretty clear-cut that time travellers retain their memories. Marty and Doc remember everything from their past travels, even though those realities don't exist anymore.
I think "Do people remember visiting realities that no longer exist?" and "Do people remember the way things used to be even after changing their pre-time-travel personal history?" are two different things. However, yeah, with the game it is made pretty clear cut that even the better part of a year later Marty remembers his original upbringing.

Which really makes Doc the most screwed up case. Sometimes he's part of the time travel and thus remembers the old way, and sometimes Marty alone is the time traveler and so he only remembers the new way. Which is how even in the movies we end up with a Doc that seems to remember helping Marty in 1955 once, rather than zero or two times.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
JoshuaJSlone said:
I think "Do people remember visiting realities that no longer exist?" and "Do people remember the way things used to be even after changing their pre-time-travel personal history?" are two different things. However, yeah, with the game it is made pretty clear cut that even the better part of a year later Marty remembers his original upbringing.

Which really makes Doc the most screwed up case. Sometimes he's part of the time travel and thus remembers the old way, and sometimes Marty alone is the time traveler and so he only remembers the new way. Which is how even in the movies we end up with a Doc that seems to remember helping Marty in 1955 once, rather than zero or two times.
I'd say post-1885 Doc remembers helping Marty in 1955 once, but gets to know of the second time once Marty shows up in old West, or else he wouldn't be surprised to see him. Yeah, it's screwed up, and the more they go back in time the more things get complicated.
I found it funny how in episode 2 they started listing the alternate realities visited to that point.

Game Guru

Jocchan said:
Citizen Brown being still alive means that, even through the treatment Doc could be still alive without paradoxes. So, it must be something else to justify the inconsistency.

The Doc in the games is much older than Citizen Brown is. He's at least 20 years older, since both Jules and Verne are teenagers. The Doc in the games isn't 1986 Doc... he's more like 2010 Doc! Doc disappeared because his body changed to fit the future of Citizen Brown's reality, where he never went into the future to a rejuvenation clinic to add 30 or 40 years to his life. Citizen Brown could very well be dead by the year 2010, since he'd be the age of 90.

The real paradox is Einstein. Why did he change to fit the new reality? Why is he even still alive? Dogs only have a life expectancy of 13 years. Did Doc take Einstein to a rejuvenation clinic to get an all-natural overhaul and add 30 or 40 years to his life? We must know this!

mclem

For those of you who missed the earlier offer, Episode 1's free again: http://www.telltalegames.com/community/blogs/id-786 . The blog post implies it's permanent.

Just played through EP3. Things I particularly liked:

Cosmetic spoilers:
80's movie references in the floppy discs - Tron, Weird Science and WarGames, I think?

I'm not certain - I'd have to do a side-by-side - but I think the shots when Marty first arrives in 1986's Town Square are identical to the first appearance when he arrives in 1955 (which I think was again mimicked for 2015?)

Heavy spoiler:
I absolutely *loved* the reveal that the logo we'd been seeing throughout the episode was basically the same as the flux capacitor, suggesting that it was still subconsciously in his psyche all along

Crazy Theory #1:
I notice that the park in the middle of the square forms the same basic shape (the paths form the radians of the capacitor). I very much doubt that's relevant, but I guess it's not impossible...

Crazy Theory #2:
Did we actually find out who the speakeasy arsonist was? I don't recall. I ask because, well, now we know more about Edna, it's very much her sort of M.O.

Crazy Theory #3: (related to some spoilered comments above)
Episode 5 is zipping about through the timestream trying to get Einstein to every place/time he actually needs to be in before the nature of causality falls apart

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Game Guru said:
The Doc in the games is much older than Citizen Brown is. He's at least 20 years older, since both Jules and Verne are teenagers. The Doc in the games isn't 1986 Doc... he's more like 2010 Doc! Doc disappeared because his body changed to fit the future of Citizen Brown's reality, where he never went into the future to a rejuvenation clinic to add 30 or 40 years to his life. Citizen Brown could very well be dead by the year 2010, since he'd be the age of 90.
Thinking again, it's likely this is what happened. Regardless of how he looks, Doc is about 20 years older than Citizen Brown. In the new timeline, Citizen Brown didn't get the treatment so he wouldn't be able to live 20 more years, which means a 20 years older Doc cannot exist. That's it.

Game Guru said:
The real paradox is Einstein. Why did he change to fit the new reality? Why is he even still alive? Dogs only have a life expectancy of 13 years. Did Doc take Einstein to a rejuvenation clinic to get an all-natural overhaul and add 30 or 40 years to his life? We must know this!
The weird part is how Marty and Doc just forgot Einstein in 1931 (so, Einstein kept living there and eventually died of old age some time later). The Einstein we see in 1986 is the alternate one that Doc never raised (just like Jennifer is an alternate version of Marty's girlfriend from the usual timeline).

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
mclem said:
Cosmetic spoilers:
I'm not certain - I'd have to do a side-by-side - but I think the shots when Marty first arrives in 1986's Town Square are identical to the first appearance when he arrives in 1955 (which I think was again mimicked for 2015?)
It always happens: whenever Marty gets to the town square in a new era, the shots are basically the same (including him getting almost run over by a car).

mclem said:
Heavy spoiler:
I absolutely *loved* the reveal that the logo we'd been seeing throughout the episode was basically the same as the flux capacitor, suggesting that it was still subconsciously in his psyche all along
Loved that too :D
It could also mean he still beat his head and had a vision of the flux capacitor (which would explain why the flux capacitor scheme is not blank in his diary), but he ended up realizing it very differently.

mclem said:
Crazy Theory #1:
I notice that the park in the middle of the square forms the same basic shape (the paths form the radians of the capacitor). I very much doubt that's relevant, but I guess it's not impossible...
I think the shape was the same in 1955.

mclem said:
Crazy Theory #2:
Did we actually find out who the speakeasy arsonist was? I don't recall. I ask because, well, now we know more about Edna, it's very much her sort of M.O.
Yeah,
in episode 2
. Read spoiler if you want to know:
it was her, she confessed near the end of the episode.

mclem said:
Crazy Theory #3: (related to some spoilered comments above)
Episode 5 is zipping about through the timestream trying to get Einstein to every place/time he actually needs to be in before the nature of causality falls apart
I sort of hope so.

plainr_ said:
Just finished my play through of Episode 3. loved it. Bugs aside, I think it's the best one yet.
I agree. Best one by far (best setting, longer, more clickable parts and dialogue choices, less awkward animations). It definitely felt like a big step up, and not as empty as the first two episodes.

Game Guru

Jocchan said:
The weird part is how Marty and Doc just forgot Einstein in 1931 (so, Einstein kept living there and eventually died of old age some time later). The Einstein we see in 1986 is the alternate one that Doc never raised (just like Jennifer is an alternate version of Marty's girlfriend from the usual timeline).

I don't find Einstein being left there weird, since they were fleeing from Officer Parker, and theoretically, Doc could ask Clara, Jules, or Verne to pick Einstein up.

The weird part is that Einstein was only left in the past when Marty and Doc left for the 1986 ruled by Kid Tannen. Marty and Doc made sure to pick up Einstein when Marty ended up in the 1986 ruled by Citizen Brown. It could be because Edna killed Einstein in the future of the Citizen Brown timeline like how Citizen Brown would be dead due to not going to the rejuventation clinic.

It's interesting how Biff!1985 and Citizen Brown!1986 are both very bad, but in completely different ways. The former is complete chaos while the latter is stifling order.

warpaint

having only played the demo i can say i will be picking this up but i have a cash flow peoblem beeing i have no money

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I was there day 1 and finally came around to this yesterday. Beat Episode 1 in 1 run (about 2 hours). I hardly ever spend 2 hours with a game these days in 1 sittings. Started Episode 2 last night and I'm about 1/3 of the way through. So good. I bought the full thing on PSN so I have to wait to talk about Episode 3 until it comes out on PSN. I knew this was gonna be good. I only regret playing it now instead of waiting for the whole thing to be out or at least the first 4 parts so I can look forward to a decent adventure. The waiting game sucks!

sinky72

Anyone know when Ep 2 on PSN is getting released in UK?. I'm just itching to play it after finishing Ep 1 weeks ago

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
sinky72 said:
Anyone know when Ep 2 on PSN is getting released in UK?. I'm just itching to play it after finishing Ep 1 weeks ago
Check now, I seen Goldrusher post in the PSN about it being out.

sinky72

LiquidMetal14 said:
Check now, I seen Goldrusher post in the PSN about it being out.

Thanks, just downloading 2nd episode now. I normally look on PSN blog but nothing on there today. Even on the PSN store (front) there doesn't seem to be anything on it.

Jake

Not sure if GAF has a policy for/against posts like this in OTs. If its not cool, anyone is welcome to delete it...

-----

San Francisco Bay Area peoples: Come playtest BTTF Episode 4 at Telltale's office tomorrow!

Episode 4 of the Back to the Future game is at a point where we have enough done that we think its understandable to people outside the office, but we've been heads down working on it for long enough that we'd love a fresh set of eyes in the studio to take a look and tell us what's working and what's not.

So, we're looking for some people to come in tomorrow and check out the game. If playing through an early build of the next episode, then sitting down with the design team to talk about the game and your playthrough sounds appealing to you, then tomorrow's your day!

The playtest is at Telltale's office, in San Rafael, CA. This is an in-office thing only, no remote testing or anything, so my apologies in advance to people who aren't local.

Details:

Who: You!
When: Saturday, April 9 (tomorrow). The playtest starts at Noon and ends when you're done playing (or want to stop).
Where: Telltale's office in San Rafael CA. We're right by the Richmond Bridge and San Quentin state prison, but it's nicer over here than that might make it sound! For people in the extended bay area, San Rafael is in Marin County, ~10-15 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

How: Email playtest @ telltalegames.com and someone will add you to the list of people showing up, send you our office's address, etc.

I would say "see you there!" but I don't think I can make it to this playtest. But you should make it!

lunchtoast

Jake said:
Not sure if GAF has a policy for/against posts like this in OTs. If its not cool, anyone is welcome to delete it...

-----

San Francisco Bay Area peoples: Come playtest BTTF Episode 4 at Telltale's office tomorrow!

Episode 4 of the Back to the Future game is at a point where we have enough done that we think its understandable to people outside the office, but we've been heads down working on it for long enough that we'd love a fresh set of eyes in the studio to take a look and tell us what's working and what's not.

So, we're looking for some people to come in tomorrow and check out the game. If playing through an early build of the next episode, then sitting down with the design team to talk about the game and your playthrough sounds appealing to you, then tomorrow's your day!

The playtest is at Telltale's office, in San Rafael, CA. This is an in-office thing only, no remote testing or anything, so my apologies in advance to people who aren't local.

Details:

Who: You!
When: Saturday, April 9 (tomorrow). The playtest starts at Noon and ends when you're done playing (or want to stop).
Where: Telltale's office in San Rafael CA. We're right by the Richmond Bridge and San Quentin state prison, but it's nicer over here than that might make it sound! For people in the extended bay area, San Rafael is in Marin County, ~10-15 minutes north of the Golden Gate Bridge.

How: Email playtest @ telltalegames.com and someone will add you to the list of people showing up, send you our office's address, etc.

I would say "see you there!" but I don't think I can make it to this playtest. But you should make it!

I thought they would have finished all the episodes before releasing the first one.

Just caught up and beat ep 2 last night and did ep 3 today. Wondering when the 4th one will be released....

Sciz

lunchtoast said:
I thought they would have finished all the episodes before releasing the first one.
Telltale does a lot of work up front, but full scale production on individual episodes is staggered.

Jake

Sciz said:
Telltale does a lot of work up front, but full scale production on individual episodes is staggered.

Yeah we work very similarly to an actual TV season, where there is a big front loaded period where a lot of production is going on, but the finale doesn't wrap until very close to the end of the actual window during which the season is airing. It's a rolling staggered thing, where each department is basically working on a different episode -- for instance, there's a point when design/writing is working on episode 4, modelers and programmers are working on episode 3, animators (and programmers probably) are working on episode 2, and the cinematic and sound guys are working on episode 1, etc. Design is usually the first one on board doing heavy lifting on core mechanics and overall season story, and the character acting and sound guys are last being pried off off polishing up the season finale on the last day of production. Obviously the overlap isn't that cut and dry (design/directors are usually on the game until the last second, for instance, because they're overseeing everything), but that's the general deal.

BigJonsson said:
Does ep 4 have a release date?

Back to the Future: Episode 4 - Double Visions for PC/Mac is coming next week!

Back to the Future: Episode 3 - Citizen Brown hits the PSN (North America) on May 3!

Back to the Future: Episode 2 - Get Tannen! is now available for the iPad!

ElRenoRaven

Yup just confirmed tonight. I'm saddened that Sony isn't getting Episode 3 out in April here like they should have. But 3 days isn't that bad I guess. Oh well at least I'll be able to go 3 for 3 in getting all my trophies for this series.

Then I can't wait to see what happens in 4 on the PC. 3's ending was such a cliffhanger and has made this wait for 4 the hardest one out of them all.

nny

The "download" button already appears on my personal page on telltale website but it gives an error when clicked; must be close!

Top Bottom