• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

epmode

No, really. How do I get rid of this:

BackToTheFuture101 2010-12-22 18-56-21-02.jpg

Celine

Rez said:
the mac .zip won't decompress. ick.
First setup was faulty so Telltale reuploaded another version, it's just that it took a bit ( server being hammered ).
400MB should be the right size.

Bebpo

Banned
So far I like it. The icons are really BIG and take up a lot of screen space unfortunately and the voice recordings sounds a bit hissy due to compression. But otherwise the art/music is good and it shows potential.

Oh and the controls are still weird. Why can't Telltale just make a simple point & click interface for their PC versions like every other adventure game out there and the early telltale titles.

epmode said:
No, really. How do I get rid of this:

BackToTheFuture101 2010-12-22 18-56-21-02.jpg

Yeah it's super annoying but it leaves after that first area. I think you need to turn hints OFF as well.

Enjoying my free episode early. But I don't feel bad for it, they practically have my money for the series already. I've pretty much just held out this long to see if I need to buy it through Steam or not, for the obvious hat-related reasons.

I was impressed they kept
"serious shit"
, that seemed like something they would've cleaned out. (A tape-skip, one of those classic VHS "muted/fuzzy" moments perhaps.)

hlhbk

JodyAnthony said:
come on steeeeeaaaammmmm!!

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21387

I advise you go to there and voice your displeasure. We were told by a Telltale staff member it would be released on Steam on release day and were told that yesterday. Today we are being told that it's not going to happen.

I have voiced my displeasure along with a solution: If we buy the game through Telltake since we were lied to by Telltake work our with Valve to have Telltake pay whatever fee to allow us to register our game keys on Steam when it's available on Steam.

I don't think they are going to do this unless there is a sizeable backlash about what has happened.

Peff

Only issue so far is the very low difficulty. Other than that it hits the right nostalgia/fanservice notes (there's even a reference to a deleted scene :D ) and Young Doc and Kid Tannen are pretty cool. Great presentation too, but yeah, I hope it gets harder.

Moobabe

hlhbk said:

I advise you go to there and voice your displeasure. We were told by a Telltale staff member it would be released on Steam on release day and were told that yesterday. Today we are being told that it's not going to happen.

I have voiced my displeasure along with a solution: If we buy the game through Telltake since we were lied to by Telltake work our with Valve to have Telltake pay whatever fee to allow us to register our game keys on Steam when it's available on Steam.

I don't think they are going to do this unless there is a sizeable backlash about what has happened.

What... what?

Bebpo

Banned
Peff said:
Only issue so far is the very low difficulty. Other than that it hits the right nostalgia/fanservice notes (there's even a reference to a deleted scene :D ) and Young Doc and Kid Tannen are pretty cool. Great presentation too, but yeah, I hope it gets harder.

Yeah, at the start it's extremely linear. Almost like FFXIII feel again. I'm hoping in the middle it opens up and becomes more like a normal explore and solve puzzles adventure game.

:lol I'll be sure not to close the game until I'm done with it, then. Or, until they put it on Steam.

Oh, and I love the Law Office's name in 1931.

Vitet

Jeff Stephen said:
Anyone else having trouble getting Marty to run?

It seems they didn't manage right the "keep going the same direction when a key is pressed and the camera angle changes" :D

epmode said:
Does he even run? I only played for a bit but it looks like he either walks or walks-a-little-faster.
He runs in bigger environments, walks faster in smaller ones.

And I'm pretty sure they said there wasn't going to be a 360 version @ above.

hlhbk said:

bunch of brats in that thread

Danj

Got it working OK. But you do need to run the game as Administrator under Windows 7, for some reason.

Anyway it's a pretty fun game so far, and other than the launcher problems I've had no issues with it - cranked up the resolution to max and it's great.

Bebpo

Banned
Jeff Stephen said:
Anyone else having trouble getting Marty to run?

I have to play using keyboard + mouse so I can shift + wasd run. The whole double click/hold/spin/shove or whatever for running consistently with the mouse is really glitchy. Slightly annoying since I like to lean back just play using a mouse for adv games, but it's not a big deal. I also find the environments generally awkward to navigate with invisible barriers everywhere. I kind of wish the camera/environment design had been either more like Sam & Max or been full free-roam like Mafia II.

Enjoying the game! Just a lot of odd design choices imo.

Peff

Ooh, nice cliffhanger! But yeah, I really hope it's just an "adventure 101" so that newcomers aren't overwhelmed and it gets harder from here on... it's easily Telltale's easiest game. Other than that I enjoyed it quite a bit. Now to wait for February!

NIN90

hlhbk said:

Holy shit this hlhbk guy is for real. He posted his displeasure in the TT thread. :lol
What a bunch of manbabies in that thread.

NIN90

hlhbk said:
If a company tell you a product is going to be out on a certain date on a certain service and then says "oh sorry" they deserve to be called out.

Yeah let's DDOS the shit out of that Telltale site.

eznark

Banned
Ya, I had the "new post" box open when I sat down in my office, figured I'd post before reading.

Was hoping to crank through the game tonight before bed, now I am sad. See what you did Telltale, I am penning an angry letter right now. This injustice cannot stand. For God's sakes, even Hitler made trains run on time! Telltale is obviously worse than Hitler. I'm with Junior up there, I demand blooooooood!!!

eshwaaz

Just started it, but man - the animation is really disappointing. With such iconic, larger-than-life characters like Doc and Marty, it's a real shame that their actions are handled with such a robotic, pose-to-pose approach.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
eznark said:
Ya, I had the "new post" box open when I sat down in my office, figured I'd post before reading.

Was hoping to crank through the game tonight before bed, now I am sad. See what you did Telltale, I am penning an angry letter right now. This injustice cannot stand. For God's sakes, even Hitler made trains run on time! Telltale is obviously worse than Hitler. I'm with Junior up there, I demand blooooooood!!!
For Telltale to be worse then Hitler, they would have to cause $25 Trillion Dollars in lost wealth. They are at worse about a Nano Hitler.

NIN90

Drkirby said:
For Telltale to be worse then Hitler, they would have to cause $25 Trillion Dollars in lost wealth. They are at worse about a Nano Hitler.

HOLY SHIT are you siding with those lying bastards?

"You know,
your younger self
seems really dedicated to the law."
*Doc mouths a line that isn't there*

Digging this so far, even thought I'm still not the biggest fan of some of the character stylization. (Even Einstein looks weird.) The voice for Marty is a knock-out, it's amazing they've got him speaking this much dialogue, and yet he's pretty much pitch-perfect all the while. Even Christopher Lloyd isn't as good at channeling his Doc voice, but then again, that was a role he did a quarter of a century ago.

I'm getting a weird box effect around the characters sometimes, I think it's a small glitch with the shadows.

Oh, to get Marty to run, you can double-click on an object, hold the right mouse button while dragging him somewhere, or hold Shift while you press the arrow or WASD keys. They've pretty much though of all sorts of different controls preferences.

One last, early spoiler question, in Edna's place, I missed the dialogue about
that picture of Strickland in a dress
, and it doesn't repeat. What did she say?

Quick edit: Nearly forgot! If you talk to Doc enough, he does explain why the DeLorean's back. It's kind of a weak excuse, but hey, it means we get the DeLorean again, so it's worth it.

Link1110

Is this coming to jp psn? My computer couldn't even run that free Sam n max and I don't feel like signing up for us psn.

Ok, I know I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. Getting the Alcohol...

I've got the tables propped up, for what benefit I don't understand. I know how to get Cue Ball to move the Spice Rack. I know you're supposed to get Edna afterward to make a soup run, and I read somewhere else that you have to get Marty to knock on the pipes. I didn't even notice the pipes until I read about them, but the trouble is no matter what I do, Marty doesn't knock on them, just inspect them.

I even went and served the subpoena, but as far as I can tell, nothing's changed. I've sent Edna every place except the one she won't get soup for (the Stay Sober Society), which I assume she'll do once I can get the event in the Soup Kitchen to happen.

I can't leave the town square, so it's whatever's in that area, and what's in the soup kitchen, I only have four items: the photo, notebook, tape recorder, and phone number slip. I guess Marty wants something specific to knock on the pipes, or to see someone do it first, but I can't get that to happen. Even the hints stopped being helpful once they've told you how to move the Spice Rack.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Guys, guys, guys... perhaps Telltale is withholding the game to be part of one of the daily deals on Steam? Maybe? Perhaps? Right?

Kulock said:
Ok, I know I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure it out. Getting the Alcohol...

I've got the tables propped up, for what benefit I don't understand. I know how to get Cue Ball to move the Spice Rack. I know you're supposed to get Edna afterward to make a soup run, and I read somewhere else that you have to get Marty to knock on the pipes. I didn't even notice the pipes until I read about them, but the trouble is no matter what I do, Marty doesn't knock on them, just inspect them.

I even went and served the subpoena, but as far as I can tell, nothing's changed. I've sent Edna every place except the one she won't get soup for (the Stay Sober Society), which I assume she'll do once I can get the event in the Soup Kitchen to happen.

I can't leave the town square, so it's whatever's in that area, and what's in the soup kitchen, I only have four items: the photo, notebook, tape recorder, and phone number slip. I guess Marty wants something specific to knock on the pipes, or to see someone do it first, but I can't get that to happen. Even the hints stopped being helpful once they've told you how to move the Spice Rack.
When Cue Ball was sitting down reading the paper, I walked out of sight towards Emmett and a cutscene popped up that showed Cue Ball using the pipes, thus giving me reason to use it as well. I think he just has to be sitting down for it to pop.

Top Bottom