• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

Revolutionary said:
When Cue Ball was sitting down reading the paper, I walked out of sight towards Emmett and a cutscene popped up that showed Cue Ball using the pipes, thus giving me reason to use it as well. I think he just has to be sitting down for it to pop.

It's not activating no matter what I do, or how long I wait. Another person here seems to be having the same problem. I have a bad feeling I need to revert to an older autosave.

Edit: Wait, I just got it to happen, I had to click on the "special" soup for the billionth time, except for some reason the line was different this time, that was the apparent trigger. They need to make that event a little more forgiving.

Kulock said:
It's not activating no matter what I do, or how long I wait. Another person here seems to be having the same problem. I have a bad feeling I need to revert to an older autosave.

Edit: Wait, I just got it to happen, I had to click on the "special" soup for the billionth time, except for some reason the line was different this time, that was the apparent trigger. They need to make that event a little more forgiving.
I had the same problem and I had to revert revert to my last save, it is a real bummer.

Chesskid1

Banned
guys, i think i just discovered something cool.

url to download the first episode, look at the numbers.

http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/bttf/101/bttf_101_setup.exe

368 MB

let's try changing em.

http://telltale.vo.llnwd.net/o15/games/bttf/102/bttf_102_setup.exe

hmm, a 372MB file, different sized file.

hmm.

let's see what it is.

166j3sz.jpg

whd401.jpg

oh, hello there.

JohngPR said:
Wow, nice find....so does Episode 2 actually work?
i'm installing. will tell you presently.

it's obviously not final. unless telltale are going to keep the same icon for every episode...

edit: launches the same front end, so episode 2 is still listed as 'coming soon'. when you try to play episode one from that launcher it starts downloading it (even though i have it installed).

JohngPR

Ah well, thanks for the update. Guess I'll have to be patient.

It would have sucked having to wait 2 months for a new episode anyway.

:lol

Brashnir

_tetsuo_ said:
Guys, guys, guys... perhaps Telltale is withholding the game to be part of one of the daily deals on Steam? Maybe? Perhaps? Right?

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits Steam, you're going to see some serious shit.

Chesskid1

Banned
plagiarize said:
i'm installing. will tell you presently.

it's obviously not final. unless telltale are going to keep the same icon for every episode...

edit: launches the same front end, so episode 2 is still listed as 'coming soon'. when you try to play episode one from that launcher it starts downloading it (even though i have it installed).

yeah, looks like it was just a placeholder. not real episode 2! was worth a shot though!

Grabbed it just in case. :D

Finished the first episode. Once I got over that one sticking point, it was pretty good, but I couldn't help but think of
that scene with Gromit on the truck
from the W&G game. But the whole thing felt solid, if a little easy, they've definitely done a good job.

dream

Did they plug the hole that let people play it for free before February? When I try to log on it tells me I don't own Back To The Future.

Oh, if you click the episodes in the launcher, it gives a brief summary of each one.

Episode 2: Get Tannen!
Stop Kid Tannen's reign in Hill Valley
(Picture of Marty hiding behind some trash cans from Kid Tannen with a tommy gun)

Episode 3: Citizen Brown
Topsy-turvy timeline with enigmatic 'First Citizen Brown' in spotlight
(Doc wearing goggles and a more militaristic red outfit, standing behind the face of the courthouse clock, with the model in front of him and monitors off to the left)

Episode 4: Double Visions
Marty must prevent young Emmett from making a terrible terrible mistake
(Young Emmett, same as in this episode, standing between a stack of legal books and papers, and lab equipment, looking worried)

Episode 5: OUTATIME
Climactic chase through Hill Valley's past, present, and future!
(DeLorean driving through a rainstorm in front of the clock tower, flames behind the wheels)

Big Papa Husker said:
How long is each episode?

Hard to say. I'd guess the episode was roughly 3 hours, maybe a bit less, if I hadn't gotten stuck. It's easily possible the following episodes will be meatier, though.

watkinzez

Solid start to the series, about on par with the first Monkey Island episode. The ending, though...
Isn't it a bit early to start the BTTF2 return-to-the-same-time-period thing? I understand Telltale like to recycle assets early on, but I hope there's some new stuff too.

the-iek

Maybe someone can help me over here:

Hi there, I just downloaded Back to the Future for the tenth time, thinking it will finally work this time. Since there are no specific threads for this problem, here it is. The download went seemingly well, but when trying to start the game, it just won't.

There's no message telling me there's a problem, nothing, nada. There's at least something happening in my dock, for about a tenth of a second something moves. But after that, no new windows opens.

I already restarted twice, deleted my system and kernel cache and the same thing still happens over and over again with both English and German version. My Mac OSX version is 10.6.5 and there are no other applications running at the same time.

Ryu

Chesskid1 said:
try disconnecting from the internet.

Doesn't work. Asks you to email support and ask for an offline unlock code.

Ah well, Steam will have it up soon I hope...

First episode was great. Some oddities in logic and at times it felt like they were trying a bit too hard to recreate things from the films (such as the way Marty opens the cold door, then kicks it open) but after the game really starts that complaint goes away.

Well, the other issue I had was that the puzzles were a bit too easy, but w/e. Oh, and I'm not a fan of the mouse interface they went with. I'd rather have point and click instead of pretending like I'm grabbing a virtual analog stick with my mouse.

Shame I'll have to wait another two months for the next epis...wait, what's this?

yI1ni.jpg

whoops :lol

Eaten By A Grue said:
For anyone one playing it, does it have any Huey Lewis and the News music playing? The trailer had it, just wondering about the game.
Just cleared the first episode and the band was absent.

Also Marty sure is a lot less confident compared to the movies and by the way wasn't the DeLorean destroyed at the end of the 3rd?

aparisi2274

Jeff Stephen said:

Also Marty sure is a lot less confident compared to the movies and by the way wasn't the DeLorean destroyed at the end of the 3rd?

Yeah, but Doc did have his train. He could have went through time and assembled a new DeLorean for these games. lol

Jeff Stephen said:

Power of Love plays briefly on the Jukebox.

Jeff Stephen said:

This is explained if you talk to Doc enough.

Big One

Banned
I just finished it. Very funny little game and pretty accurate to the feel of the movies. I wish the lip-syncing was better (the voices are in sync, but the lips aren't) and the animation isn't necessarily top tier material. I really like the setting they picked for the game, though, and interested in where the story is going to take Marty and Doc.
Jeff Stephen said:
The Doc explains that the DeLorean made a duplicate of itself when it got hit by lightning in the 1950's
...if I recall correctly.

Feep

Banned
Question - my brother (who ain't too good with these computer things) bought me BttF for Christmas. He asked for my E-mail address and I gave it to him, but I never got anything.

He just texted me the code, which looks something like "GIFT-YHMAN-XXXXX-XXXXX", but it's not a coupon code, and I can't figure out a way to register the game with my Telltale account. Any ideas?

Edit: Never mind, got it. Now I'm having these weird artifacts around Marty, though...hmm...

Hmm. I downloaded both zip files for mac from telltale, the Backtothefuture101.app.zip and the Bttf_101-Setup.app.zip files and tried both unzipped icons from the desktop, but I get nothing. Any help?

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, finished it on my 2nd session. Maybe a little over 2 hours total for the game.

By the end I liked it! I think the first half of the game is kind of weak. Really linear, almost no puzzles, controls are kind of funky at first. The 2nd half when it opens up though is great. Fun puzzles, fun environment, great pacing.

The ep is waaaay shorter than Telltale's usual stuff of 4-6 hour eps, but otoh, the pacing is MUCH better. Their stuff always drags (I hear they started getting better at this with Tales of Monkey Island but I still haven't played ep2+ of that). I figure you spend $10 to see a 2 hour movie these days, so a well paced enjoyable game for $5 ($25 season / 5 eps) isn't too horrible.

I do think the production values are kind of weird. Graphically it might be their most detailed game. But then the realistic style makes some of the graphically weaker areas look poor (the main park/streets area of the town looks like PS1.5). Also the length is short and there aren't very many screens compared to their usual adventure games. Makes it seem kind of lower budget, but you'd think this would be their biggest budget game yet. I dunno, maybe the voices were so expensive they offset the asset creation or maybe it had to be out by x-mas. Still it's good, just seems sort of low budget/rushed. I hope ep2+ have more locations. There was also a severe lack of objects you could interact with. Made the places feel lifeless. Needs more clickable stuff, more inventory objects, and more puzzles. Mainly just more of everything :)

I'm also a little surprised by the ep2 preview.
I had assumed the way to do a BttF series is that every ep has them going to a different time period. But it looks like the entire season will be in this one time period and if they do more seasons, each season will be a new time period. Definitely would be cheaper on the budget to be able to reuse areas like other telltale seasons. Just hope they add a lot more to the environment. The game scope was really small, even for a Telltale episodic game.

Not a home run right out of the gate, but a fun little game. Looking forward to ep2. Maybe I'll play the rest of Monkey Island or Sam & Max S3 while waiting. I kind of got behind and dropped off of Telltale gaming after Strongbad and Sam & Max S2.

Sorted my problem, had to use the Archive Utility instead of Winzip. Odd!

I'm liking it a lot. Loads of references to the movies! Sublte ones too!

Danj

Bebpo said:
Not a home run right out of the gate, but a fun little game. Looking forward to ep2.

Just finished it myself and this is pretty much my sentiment also. I suck at games like this though, so I'm glad the difficulty level wasn't high (though I still had to refer to the hints and walkthrough a couple of times when I got stuck).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
well my Mac app won't unzip. guess I'll wait to play it on my PC

Hmm, those that had their free episode stop working... did you guys actually get to play it? Because I beat it last night, ran it just now and it's still letting me play with no problem.

Teppic

Revolutionary said:
Hmm, those that had their free episode stop working... did you guys actually get to play it? Because I beat it last night, ran it just now and it's still letting me play with no problem.
Yes. If you activate it it will stay that way.

kiryogi

Banned
Just finished it as well. I mean I agree it wasn't super amazing overall. But in terms of a BttF fan, I don't think I could have asked for it any better. They paid great attention and respect to the originals and this feels straight out of the movies. February is going to be a long wait. Like wise, I was grinning like a kid a lot as well :D Fantastic job Telltale.

So no subtitles in any language. In this date and age thats totally unacceptable telltale. What the fuck are you thinking?

It doesnt matter to me, but I have a friend that is the biggest BTTF fan I know, and was so excited to play this games, he knows some english, but not to have the most fun with the game.
Way to go telltale, way fucking to go.

I hope that anyone here dares to use the learn english then token to defend them because I will tell them fuck you from the future.
This shit is unacceptable.

stuminus3

I wish I had a time machine so I could play this right now. Christmas is a terrible time to release games for me. I won't get a chance to sit down and properly focus on anything until January. I don't even have time to secretly stalk Telltale employees like I usually do. The last photo I have of Jake in the shower was taken weeks ago. :-/

Ledsen

SpacePirate Ridley said:
So no subtitles in any language. In this date and age thats totally unacceptable telltale. What the fuck are you thinking?

It doesnt matter to me, but I have a friend that is the biggest BTTF fan I know, and was so excited to play this games, he knows some english, but not to have the most fun with the game.
Way to go telltale, way fucking to go.

I hope that anyone here dares to use the learn english then token to defend them because I will tell them fuck you from the future.
This shit is unacceptable.

It seems like this has been the case with previous Telltale games as well:

http://wrapserver.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=419931

some guy said:
Me imagino que cuando primero salga no, pero cuando ya esté terminado y saquen el DVD lo más probable es que tenga subtítulos. Así fue con Sam y Max no?

guy replying said:
Sí, pero no por parte de Telltale, sino de la distribuidora europea. Los DVD de coleccionista que se pueden conseguir desde la tienda de Telltale sólo son en inglés.

I don't remember if you're French or Spanish but if you're French, it says that with Sam & Max, Telltale never did subtitles, but their European distributor did.

Telltale really lost a lot of my goodwill with this. I was happy to receive the first episode free, and if I enjoyed it I would have promptly bought a season pass. But now it's like, yeah, here's your free game, but you can't play it for 2 months, which is kinda like getting fucked in the ass. And they don't even have the decency to use lube.

numble

LocoMrPollock said:
Telltale really lost a lot of my goodwill with this. I was happy to receive the first episode free, and if I enjoyed it I would have promptly bought a season pass. But now it's like, yeah, here's your free game, but you can't play it for 2 months, which is kinda like getting fucked in the ass. And they don't even have the decency to use lube.
Yeah, fuck them for giving a free game 2 months too late!!!

LocoMrPollock said:

What? You're getting an free episode, and possibly getting the better structure since by the time the free episode is available you can roll right into the next episode, instead of waiting two months like people getting it know.

Also, you're getting it for free.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Welp, just bought this for my sister for xmas. She looooves BttF, though she's not too keen on games (but she did have fun playing Day of the Tentacle on a recent road trip). I hope she digs this game! (Trailer looks great!)

Top Bottom