• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back to the Future the Game |OT| James Rolfe Hates Manure!

LocoMrPollock said:
which is kinda like getting fucked in the ass.
on one hand, you clearly have never been fucked in the ass, which is probably a good thing since you don't seem to be a fan of the idea.

but on the other hand, now i want you to get fucked in the ass so you can see that getting something completely for free but having to wait two months to get it compared to paying for it, isn't in anyway similar to being butt fucked.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
LocoMrPollock said:
Telltale really lost a lot of my goodwill with this. I was happy to receive the first episode free, and if I enjoyed it I would have promptly bought a season pass. But now it's like, yeah, here's your free game, but you can't play it for 2 months, which is kinda like getting fucked in the ass. And they don't even have the decency to use lube.
.... :lol

Your sense of entitlement is almost as offensive as it is ridiculous.

Yeah, I know I'm getting it for free, but I was hyped to play it, and I think it's a bad move on their part.

It's not even about the money, I would buy it right now, but now it's just got me irritated and I don't want to give them the sale.

Maybe it's petty, but it's still a slap in the face, if you ask me.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Shahadan said:
The should have done the Addams Family instead of Jurassic Park after BTTF. How awesome would it be?
Holy shit. So awesome.

But I think they're trying out some really new ideas with Jurassic Park...not to say they couldn't do that with The Addam's Family, but I see ridiculous, mind-warping mechanics
[/hyperbole]
fitting better with Jurassic Park.

hamchan

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, I know I'm getting it for free, but I was hyped to play it, and I think it's a bad move on their part.

It's not even about the money, I would buy it right now, but now it's just got me irritated and I don't want to give them the sale.

I don't follow the logic :lol

So it's pay now and play now, or wait 2 months then play. Where have they slapped you in the face?

Ledsen said:
It seems like this has been the case with previous Telltale games as well:

http://wrapserver.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=419931

I don't remember if you're French or Spanish but if you're French, it says that with Sam & Max, Telltale never did subtitles, but their European distributor did.

From Spain, but yeah, it seems we are again during the supernes, n64 era with this shit.
You are paying for a product, at least try to add subtitles. Its not that hard and even smaller companies than telltale do them. Would understand (not totally, but I know why they would not do it) to games like Persona, that doesnt going to sell shit here, came in english only, but come on... Back to the future game? Monkey Island? that games are going to sell, its not like it isnt profitable to make some european languages subs. All the rest of the monkey island lucasarts games and the new editions came in spanish, but not tales?

As I say, It doesnt matter to me, although It would not be bad, to have some subtitles, but people who dont understand and want to play yout product, its only a diservice to them.

You know what is what people in Spain are thrilled more about the Ocarina of Time remake for 3DS. That fucking finally, 13 years later, they can play it in spanish.
I had a friend that was small when he played the original and beat it, he never knew that Zelda was Sheik :lol

LocoMrPollock said:

How is it a slap in the face? They are a company, they need to make money in order to continue being a company. They don't make money by giving you free shit the same day as people who pay for it.

Seriously, I you have no problem actually paying for the entire season, then just fucking do that instead of bitching about how you're not getting the free episode day and date with the rest, even though you were gonna pay for it all anyways.

Cartman86

Banned
Fuck this shit. Forcing me to wait another day to pay for it on steam where they don't get a higher cut of the money back? Why can't they cater to my need to have all games in one location. I'm gonna take a huge shit on my computer, light in on fire, and toss it out the window to spite them.

EDIT: Also oral sex sucks.

WillyFive

There should be less talk about not getting your free game at launch, and more about THE ACTUAL GAME, which IS AWESOME.

It feels like a brand new Back to the Future movie, with excellent characters and stories, and it's funny!

FoneBone

Vinterbird said:
How is it a slap in the face? They are a company, they need to make money in order to continue being a company. They don't make money by giving you free shit the same day as people who pay for it.

Seriously, I you have no problem actually paying for the entire season, then just fucking do that instead of bitching about how you're not getting the free episode day and date with the rest, even though you were gonna pay for it all anyways.
I think a lot of people are overreacting to the "wait-till-February" thing, but that said, Telltale did handle it badly.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Oh what, you can't get it on steam yet? I got it for my sister through their website - explaining what steam is, let alone telling her how to dl and isntall it would be too much of a headache.

But after seeing that trailer, I kinda want to buy it for myself now too. Can you register website versions w/ steam after-the-fact (other than 'add non-steam game')?

hamchan said:
I don't follow the logic :lol

So it's pay now and play now, or wait 2 months then play. Where have they slapped you in the face?

By saying "yeah, here's your free game" and then 1 week before it comes out, thay snatch it back and say "oh yeah, by the way, the game is out now, but you can't play it for 2 months, enjoy!"

Not sure why that's so hard to understand how that could be somewhat irritating to people who were waiting to play the game. And like I said, I think it would have generated more goodwill for the game and company had they not done it that way.

It's not about the money, or a "sense of entitlement." It's about them pissing off a loyal customer and fan. So yeah, I wanted to bitch about it a little bit.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Bebpo said:
I'm also a little surprised by the ep2 preview.
I had assumed the way to do a BttF series is that every ep has them going to a different time period. But it looks like the entire season will be in this one time period and if they do more seasons, each season will be a new time period. Definitely would be cheaper on the budget to be able to reuse areas like other telltale seasons. Just hope they add a lot more to the environment. The game scope was really small, even for a Telltale episodic game.
I think they're just iterating on what they did with Monkey Island where
we'll still explore the same areas occasionally, but they'll definitely add in different environments. If you looked at the other episodes it looks like we're not totally stuck in 1931.

I enjoyed the game, although it seemed like the least polished Telltale game I've played. There were a few instances where I didn't hear any dialog and there was an instance where a character abruptly disappears after completing a goal. Puzzles weren't that hard but I ended up using the hint system because
the Cue Ball puzzle was wonky. If the pipe-knocking cutscene triggered sooner, I wouldn't have been scratching my head. And I tried grabbing the antenna from the left side but I was on the other side and there wasn't any indication that I could interact with it... plus most of the time it's obscured by the GUI.
Not a big fan of the GUI.

stuminus3

bistromathics said:
Can you register website versions w/ steam after-the-fact (other than 'add non-steam game')?
Unfortunately not. I've been whispering suggestions to get this sorted into Dan Conner's ear as he sleeps for a couple of years now, but I guess it wouldn't make sense for Valve to do it.

LocoMrPollock said:
By saying "yeah, here's your free game" and then 1 week before it comes out, thay snatch it back and say "oh yeah, by the way, the game is out now, but you can't play it for 2 months, enjoy!"

Not sure why that's so hard to understand how that could be somewhat irritating to people who were waiting to play the game. And like I said, I think it would have generated more goodwill for the game and company had they not done it that way.

It's not about the money, or a "sense of entitlement." It's about them pissing off a loyal customer and fan. So yeah, I wanted to bitch about it a little bit.

If you were a loyal customer, and a fan, you would have bought it blindly like the rest.

Ledsen

I don't care that much about the free game delay, since I know I'll be buying the game eventually anyway, but I'm questioning if it was a good move on their part. People who wanted the free game got their code BEFORE they knew that they'd have to wait two months. If Telltale wanted to avoid having every potential customer getting the free version instead of the paid one through disincentivizing, it was already too late. The only difference now is that some people will get pissed off and not buy the game or simply forget about it. They also lose the huge word-of-mouth push they would've gotten from all those free users. I don't really see what they're trying to accomplish or how it will benefit them. Day or two later to lighten the server load, sure, but two months?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
plagiarize said:
i'm installing. will tell you presently.

it's obviously not final. unless telltale are going to keep the same icon for every episode...

edit: launches the same front end, so episode 2 is still listed as 'coming soon'. when you try to play episode one from that launcher it starts downloading it (even though i have it installed).

fDY79.png

stuminus3 said:
Unfortunately not. I've been whispering suggestions to get this sorted into Dan Conner's ear as he sleeps for a couple of years now, but I guess it wouldn't make sense for Valve to do it.
;_; oh well...I'm gonna buy it off their site x2 I guess. Enjoy the extra $$ Telltell!

FoneBone

Ledsen said:
I don't care that much about the free game delay, since I know I'll be buying the game eventually anyway, but I'm questioning if it was a good move on their part. People who wanted the free game got their code BEFORE they knew that they'd have to wait two months. If Telltale wanted to avoid having every potential customer getting the free version instead of the paid one through disincentivizing, it was already too late. The only difference now is that some people will get pissed off and not buy the game or simply forget about it. They also lose the huge word-of-mouth push they would've gotten from all those free users. I don't really see what they're trying to accomplish or how it will benefit them. Day or two later to lighten the server load, sure, but two months?
That's what I'm saying - and that's as someone who happily preordered the whole season, for the record. I can only assume that this was a last-minute move based on lower-than-expected preorders, but it's poor customer relations and stands to do them more harm than good.

numble

Ledsen said:
Unless people are too bitter to play a free game 2 months later (that is free), I don't see how they lose it. They get huge word of mouth right *now* because they are launching, not to mention from diehard fans of the series or company that paid early. In 2 months, they'll get another word of mouth boost from all the more casual fans who couldn't bother to pay earlier, but are now playing a free copy.

.la1n

plagiarize said:
on one hand, you clearly have never been fucked in the ass, which is probably a good thing since you don't seem to be a fan of the idea.

but on the other hand, now i want you to get fucked in the ass so you can see that getting something completely for free but having to wait two months to get it compared to paying for it, isn't in anyway similar to being butt fucked.

if this post isn't tag worthy I don't know what is.

Ledsen

FoneBone said:
That's what I'm saying - and that's as someone who happily preordered the whole season, for the record. I can only assume that this was a last-minute move based on lower-than-expected preorders, but it's poor customer relations and stands to do them more harm than good.

Yeah, I can see them wanting to artificially increase first-month sales by forcing early adopters to buy, but in the end I think it's going to have unintended consequences.

mattp said:
stop bitching about this free game nonsense and post impressions
i played through to the conversation with young edna last night. i enjoyed it so far. compared to previous first episodes of telltale titles there seems to be a good variety of scenery. the writing is good, the story is good at this point with lots of fan service that doesn't get in the way. voice acting is good.

Doc and Marty could be a bit more animated... that's my only gripe so far.

funny, and surprisingly poignant up to this point.

Vitet

I didn't know how the original voice of Marty was (I watched the movies dubbed) but now that I'm comparing it, the voice in the game is almost identical xD

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Vitet said:
I didn't know how the original voice of Marty was (I watched the movies dubbed) but now that I'm comparing it, the voice in the game is almost identical xD
GUREAT SCOTTU!

seriously though, dubbed? In what language?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
bistromathics said:
GUREAT SCOTTU!

seriously though, dubbed? In what language?

Newsflash: People in other countries speak other languages and TV stations dub the movies in their native language. More news as it develops.

I watched most of my Back to the Future dubbed (in Brazilian Portuguese) as well. My strongest recollections of Marty and the gang are on their dubbed voices (original dubs which were never released officially on the DVD of the movies down here, since they were redubbed for 5.1 audio).

Sure, nowadays I know both the PTBR Dub and the original English versions. But the one I watched the most as a kid was the dubbed one.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Saw the intro on Giantbomb, then picked it up on Steam.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
drizzle said:
Newsflash: People in other countries speak other languages and TV stations dub the movies in their native language. More news as it develops.

I wasn't trying to be an insensitive prick like you assume...it's just I start thinking about a movie like BttF with so many quotable lines being dubbed ala Italian Spider-Man and it makes me laugh a bit

Played through it practically nonstop and loved it. Only part that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was the soup kitchen part...I was stuck there for a bit and the steps you had to take to get everything to trigger properly were a little convoluted.

Otherwise, the visuals are great, the voice acting is serviceable to great but never really bad, and the writing is surprisingly good. Definitely gonna grab the full game off Steam as soon as possible.

Isn't TellTale working on a Jurassic Park game also?

WillyFive

bistromathics said:
I wasn't trying to be an insensitive prick like you assume...it's just I start thinking about a movie like BttF with so many quotable lines being dubbed ala Italian Spider-Man and it makes me laugh a bit

You what else is cool?

This game.

Yay, finally up on Steam. Time to play through it again. :D Here's hoping us Steam users don't have a 24 hour difference in the release of episodes from here on in...

EDIT: Aw, not Steamworks. Boo-urns. :(

Deszaras

Neo Member
curious question for mac users:

i have a 15 inch macbook pro with core i5 cpu, 128mb vram and nvidia 330m. I'm very curious how it runs (for those that may have the same specs).

shuri

Banned
SpacePirate Ridley said:
So no subtitles in any language. In this date and age thats totally unacceptable telltale. What the fuck are you thinking?

It doesnt matter to me, but I have a friend that is the biggest BTTF fan I know, and was so excited to play this games, he knows some english, but not to have the most fun with the game.
Way to go telltale, way fucking to go.

I hope that anyone here dares to use the learn english then token to defend them because I will tell them fuck you from the future.
This shit is unacceptable.
im playing the mac version and the game has french subs

RPGCrazied

Just got it this morning, I played the intro. Had me smiling watching that scene from the first movie. One thing that is annoying me is the pop up hint windows. I have all the hints and pop up text turned off, yet still shows.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Sciz said:
Perfect BttF game. Buy it.
Glad to hear that...I started playing it, but actually want to wait and play with my sister. I'm really curious to see what her response is, seeing as she knows 0% about games, but 1500% about the Back to the Future movies.

This was her halloween costume a few years ago:

1z2eumx.jpg

I hope she likes it...imma actually run out and get a backup gift today :lol

dream

Willy105 said:
There should be less talk about not getting your free game at launch, and more about THE ACTUAL GAME, which IS AWESOME.

It feels like a brand new Back to the Future movie, with excellent characters and stories, and it's funny!

Fuck it, I can't wait till February after reading that. Bought.

Top Bottom