• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

[Yes. If Madden came out that broken we would never hear the end of it/QUOTE]
Madden has had it's share. From the ridiculous holding calls during a field goal to the fumble-it is issues of the past etc. I'm not excusing Backbreaker but it seems like the punting problem can be fixed in a patch as can some of the AI complaints. This is a first year football title - it's going to take a little time to get to the type of iteration that Madden sees. I personally hope they get the chance.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Futurevoid said:
[Yes. If Madden came out that broken we would never hear the end of it/QUOTE]
Madden has had it's share. From the ridiculous holding calls during a field goal to the fumble-it is issues of the past etc. I'm not excusing Backbreaker but it seems like the punting problem can be fixed in a patch as can some of the AI complaints. This is a first year football title - it's going to take a little time to get to the type of iteration that Madden sees. I personally hope they get the chance.

Okay, this punt thing? This isn't little. This is goddamn homicide inducing.

Haunted

LabouredSubterfuge said:
It's not a case of Naturalmotion licencing some middleware tech like Havok do, for example. They run more of a consultancy operation, implementing the tech from the ground up. They're also apparently fucking expensive.
I know, but I hope that they'll change their business model to a more traditional middleware solution since I don't see it becoming as widespread in the future if they continue on like this.

Few publishers can even afford their services atm, and Rockstar is basically the only customer they have at this point. I guess quite a lot is hinging on the success of their self-developed title.

edit: I don't want to speculate too much, they do have other products (including animation middleware solutions) that are being licensed out.

witness

The M.O.B said:
BTW, there is a PS3 NFL team project going on at operationsports.com, if you are not too good at making custom teams, you can just wait till they release the custom file for it sometime this week. Not sure about a 360 one.

Also, on the forums the developers commented that they are compiling and working on a list of things for a patch, hopefully that doesn't take too long to get to us.

Ok that's it, PS3 version for me.

charsace

Thank baby jesus that this game is coming. Madden needs the comp. The animations in this is great. Some of the blitzing problems and a few other things caused by the more realistic physics.

This engine needs to be used in a basketball game.

The M.O.B said:
BTW, there is a PS3 NFL team project going on at operationsports.com, if you are not too good at making custom teams, you can just wait till they release the custom file for it sometime this week. Not sure about a 360 one.

Oh man...Depending on how easy it is to get those rosters compared to the 360 version, that right there may sway my decision on which version to get.

linkboy

I really want to see someone try to make a 49ers helmet. That logo is going to a fucking bitch.

I can get the overall uniform spot on, but the logo is just to damn hard.

AtlusAram

Atlus USA Developer
Chargers represent.

fozpyp.jpg

9a4z2b.jpg

Captain N

I almost picked it up today, but will wait and pick it up later in the week.

is it true they are working on a Hockey Game?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ænima said:
Wow I was going to buy the game until I read this post. The only thing I am interested in is online play but if they are doing it like UFC 2009 did it then no thanks.
Has any game solved the issue of rage quitters? I've heard complaints about this in nearly every online game out there, including other football games.

WanderingWind

sevenchaos said:
About to get the game from Gamestop. Not sure what platform to purchase it on though. Help.

Don't do it. The game is infuriating in its current state. The special teams players straight TACKLE the opposing punter. This is a major, major glitch that needs to be fixed. I took my copy back to the story. Luckily, the manager gave me a refund.

I repeat.

DO. NOT. BUY. THIS. GAME.

It is fundamentally broken in its current state. I hope it will be fixed, but as of yet, it is not.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WanderingWind said:
Don't do it. The game is infuriating in its current state. The special teams players straight TACKLE the opposing punter. This is a major, major glitch that needs to be fixed. I took my copy back to the story. Luckily, the manager gave me a refund.

I repeat.

It is fundamentally broken in its current state. I hope it will be fixed, but as of yet, it is not.
Why would you get a refund because of one issue that will probably be patched right after release day? I could understand if the problem still wasn't fixed weeks after release but the game isn't even supposed to be out until Tuesday.

WanderingWind

SapientWolf said:
Why would you get a refund because of one issue that will probably be patched right after release day? I could understand if the problem still wasn't fixed weeks after release but the game isn't even supposed to be out until Tuesday.

Because I will wait until this patch (which has not even been announced yet) is live. Then I will reevaluate my decision.

As it is, there are several fundamental flaws in the SP that completely ruin the game. I really, really want to like this game. Mostly because I love football and hate Madden, but what we have here is a John Kerry situation. Too many flaws to overlook.

EDIT: Not to mention, weeks later I would have zero chance of getting my money back.

I love how people are so willing to fork over $50 for a prototype/beta with the "just wait til the patch line!" when the game they rebel against gets railed on because it ships with bugs or game breaking gameplay mechanics. And then you complain that publishers rip you off with DLC or preorder bonuses.

sevenchaos said:
About to get the game from Gamestop. Not sure what platform to purchase it on though. Help.

360 version runs great, the game has its problems but its awesome, its fun to play both offense and dfense. The running game feels really great, jukeing and spinning feels so smooth. I had to long runs for touchdowns when I was playing someone online, its pretty satisfying.

WanderingWind

Ninja Scooter said:
I love how people are so willing to fork over $50 for a prototype/beta with the "just wait til the patch line!" when the game they rebel against gets railed on because it ships with bugs or game breaking gameplay mechanics. And then you complain that publishers rip you off with DLC or preorder bonuses.

Truth be told, I feel a little foolish. I'm not saying I'm going to buy Madden this year, but I definitely see where some of the complaints I have against that game are unfounded or just trite. Apparently, it's hard to make a football game.

Branson

Ps3 version runs great here. Played the 360 demo? Just picture that on ps3 with the obvious button changes and you gots it. It's great so far.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
WanderingWind said:
Truth be told, I feel a little foolish. I'm not saying I'm going to buy Madden this year, but I definitely see where some of the complaints I have against that game are unfounded or just trite. Apparently, it's hard to make a football game.

Yeah I mean, you can't put a brand new game against a series with 20 years of history and expect it to be better in every way. Current Madden is a result of years and years of fine tuning, it's up to the fans to give newcomers a chance to tune their game and give EA a run for their money.

Yeah so not everything in the game is perfect or up to madden standards, but the point is they are doing things EA won't do for whatever reason. There needs to be more than one game out there.

Let me remind everyone how it took a few years for Fifa to catch up to WE. Soccer has definitely benefited from the competition, and I hope the Backbreaker team keeps at it so we can see a similar thing with Football.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ninja Scooter said:
That's pretty much par for the course for every non-Nintendo release these days. Zero day patches aren't optimal but they're not nearly as bad as broken games that will never be fixed. It's too early to say that will be the case with Backbreaker, because the game isn't even out yet. Gamestop broke the street date.

SapientWolf said:
That's pretty much par for the course for every non-Nintendo release these days. Zero day patches aren't optimal but they're not nearly as bad as broken games that will never be fixed. It's too early to say that will be the case with Backbreaker, because the game isn't even out yet. Gamestop broke the street date.

but there is outrage when Madden (and its not just an EA thing, 2K got it with NBA) ships with bugs or game breakers, yet the game people claim is a breath of fresh air and will give Madden all this comp has the same thing and its okay? Sure its the little guy vs the big guy, I get that, but at the end of the day they are shipping a game and charging near full price ($50 is still a lot of money, this isn't some downloadable $10 XBLA game) why not hold them just as accountable?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Ninja Scooter said:
but there is outrage when Madden (and its not just an EA thing, 2K got it with NBA) ships with bugs or game breakers, yet the game people claim is a breath of fresh air and will give Madden all this comp has the same thing and its okay? Sure its the little guy vs the big guy, I get that, but at the end of the day they are shipping a game and charging near full price ($50 is still a lot of money, this isn't some downloadable $10 XBLA game) why not hold them just as accountable?

They haven't been working with the same engine 5+ years.

WanderingWind

sprsk said:
Yeah I mean, you can't put a brand new game against a series with 20 years of history and expect it to be better in every way. Current Madden is a result of years and years of fine tuning, it's up to the fans to give newcomers a chance to tune their game and give EA a run for their money.

Yeah so not everything in the game is perfect or up to madden standards, but the point is they are doing things EA won't do for whatever reason. There needs to be more than one game out there.

Let me remind everyone how it took a few years for Fifa to catch up to WE. Soccer has definitely benefited from the competition, and I hope the Backbreaker team keeps at it so we can see a similar thing with Football.

Yeah, I really was blinded by this mentality though. I want this game to succeed for those very reasons. I still hope it does. Unfortunately, I'm just not wealthy enough to support an ideal without there being something else for me.

Again, I haven't heard anybody complain about the online play. The customization is pretty decent, though nothing we haven't seen before. It's just the single player that is unplayable. If you're strictly an online gamer, I would urge you to give this a shot.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ninja Scooter said:
Because Backbreaker isn't out yet. We haven't even seen the online component. If nothing is fixed after release then people are welcome to fill the thread with self-righteous indignation. It just doesn't seem fair to me to condemn the game before launch day.

edit: Also, you've been shitting on this game for awhile so it comes as no surprise that you're posting negative things about it in the official thread.

Ninja Scooter said:
Are you serious? This is their first try at a football game with extremely complex tech. Of course there are going to be glitches, and AI bugs.

Madden and 2K deserve ALL the crap they get and more since they've been working with the same engines for 6+ years.

Ninja Scooter said:
pretty sure Natural Motion has been working on this for longer than Tiburon gets on each Madden game.
This game has been in development since around 2006 by a VERY small team that probably also had to work on GTAIV, RDR, and The Force Unleashed. This is a much bigger task than anything the team at Madden attempts.

WanderingWind

SapientWolf said:
Because Backbreaker isn't out yet. We haven't even seen the online component. If nothing is fixed after release then people are welcome to fill the thread with self-righteous indignation. It just doesn't seem fair to me to condemn the game before launch day.

Sorry, man. The game shipped the way it shipped. You sort of have a point, but you're splitting hairs. Today, or Tuesday it would still have those problems. And there is absolutely no way they did not know about them.

I can forgive the janky camera. I can forgive the simplistic playbook. I can forgive the poor choice of music. I can forgive a ton of stuff. I can't forgive broken football fundamentals.

It's clear to me that they focused on the tech first, and the actual game second. Again, if you play online, you may not notice. So, we'll see. Maybe they'll fix these issues.

Ænima

SapientWolf said:
Has any game solved the issue of rage quitters? I've heard complaints about this in nearly every online game out there, including other football games.
Most online sports games will count a ranked match as a win for you if your opponent disconnects. In Madden you have to finish the game against the computer, but in NHL and Fight Night you simply get the W.

Klocker

WanderingWind said:
Don't do it. The game is infuriating in its current state. The special teams players straight TACKLE the opposing punter. This is a major, major glitch that needs to be fixed. .

lots of people on OP Sports saying they have not seen this problem while a couple say they have

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ænima said:
Most online sports games will count a ranked match as a win for you if your opponent disconnects. In Madden you have to finish the game against the computer, but in NHL and Fight Night you simply get the W.
I wish Street Fighter had this feature. Maybe Eastern players are too polite to pull that nonsense but it's pretty common elsewhere.

bluemax said:
I can't believe anyone is surprised that this turned out to be anything but a glorified tech demo.
I'm not surprised that a lot of people want this game to fail. For what it's worth, the open minded people on Operation Sports are having fun playing the game online, so it's already better than the Tekken 6 or Gears 2 launches. Hopefully the single player gets patched up in a timely manner.

Darkman M

Oh well as long as some of you guys enjoy it i guess it's ok. This game never had a chance at making EA do anything differently as long as they hold the license it doesn't matter what anyone else does. Would like to see some changes with Madden to justify a purchase this year.

LJ11

Ninja Scooter said:
pretty sure Natural Motion has been working on this for longer than Tiburon gets on each Madden game.

And it took EA 3 or 4, depending on who you ask, Madden's to get the game playable this generation. Like FMT said in the other thread, they can't match the AI/Playbooks/Systems yet, but they have a leg up in physics/animations. Tiburon has said that suction blocking was removed from '09 and '10, but it's still fucking there in all its glory.

Afrikan

WanderingWind said:

I repeat.

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen someone say something like this in any thread involving a game on GAF...... you are pleading to this guy not to buy this game.

why are you still in this thread again?

I have not had ONE roughing the punter penalty where my teammates caused it..... I wish you put up a video of this happening before you "returned" the game you "bought".

it is not fundamentally broken like this guy says.....CPU AI makes bad decision late in games it seems....like calling a draw play when its 3rd and long....and some other touch back glitch....but besides that..when I play the CPU its pretty fine. The Computer is no walk over like some try to give off.

and all this "tech demo" trash by the same posters who were bashing the game before it even released....its not like this game has an exclusive NFL license that would *force* you to putting up with supposed problems....if you ever wanted to play with NFL teams.....if you don't like it.... fine, but don't troll and spew the same BS.....tech demo...raaarrrrr... WTF? game has lots of modes, and 2 different type of franchise modes...and has smooth online...as well as fun online mini games.......and a great logo/endzone editor....

tech demo indeed.

Afrikan

witness said:
Is this punter glitch thing in the 360 demo? I've played so many games and have never seen it happen.

it hasn't happened to me in the 360 demo, and it hasn't happened to me in the PS3 retail version.....so you are not alone.

Afrikan

Darkman M said:
Oh well as long as some of you guys enjoy it i guess it's ok. This game never had a chance at making EA do anything differently as long as they hold the license it doesn't matter what anyone else does. Would like to see some changes with Madden to justify a purchase this year.

well at least you seem to have a change of heart.

the thing is, this year is the first year EA has added physics to their team sports games...coincidence, I think not....... I believe NHL and NBA Elite will have physics to an extent....don't know if it will be as advanced as BackBreaker....but that is still a start and encouraging...

and I bet 1 penny that next year Madden will have these same physics as well.

Afrikan

Ænima said:
Wow I was going to buy the game until I read this post. The only thing I am interested in is online play but if they are doing it like UFC 2009 did it then no thanks.

here is someone playing online....its a smooth experience, which I don't get too much with this gen's sports titles...

the sky is F'N BEAUTIFUL!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHBk955eTTc&feature=channel

also, I think it varies as far as wins counting or not if someone quits....because that is how I got my win...guy disconnected in the 3rd QTR after I stopped him 3 times in a row.

it is better to play with friends you know or fellow Gaffers or OS'ers.....by adding them as friends at the team selection screen before you start a game....they will be able to see your uniforms and you can see theirs....then after the game, if you want to can delete them or keep them as friends...

edit- also Tackle Ally and 2 player online Tackle Ally is crazy fun...

Top Bottom