• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Afrikan said:
You are the one who has called me a moran, Wanker, and said I was full of shit...because I said it does not happen to me.

I never said it doesn't happen...

it doesn't happen to me because I have played on medium/Hard.....and I brought up how difficulty might have something to do with it.

now does this sound like a "fair" warning?

:lol :lol :lol pleeeese believe me.....pleeeeeeese believe me..... DON'T Doooooo Iiiiiiiiiit!!! Noooooooooo

*takes a deep breath* ok that was fun....anyway, I'll let you insult me one more time as a response, and then hopefully we are done with this conversation for now...and can move on.

Yes. I said you were full of shit and I just proved that you were. Deal with it, kid.

mik

mik is unbeatable
I really, really love running with the football in this game--whether with the RB or as the KR, or WR after the catch. It's great.

Everything else about the game is kinda crappy, however.

Afrikan

mik said:
I really, really love running with the football in this game--whether with the RB or as the KR, or WR after the catch. It's great.

Everything else about the game is kinda crappy, however.

I love moving around in the pocket with a QB....its hard, but damn do you feel cool when you just sit back there and hit your targets.

WanderingWind said:
Yes. I said you were full of shit and I just proved that you were. Deal with it, kid.

So he's full of shit because the roughing the kicker penalty does happen? You say it happens 90% of the time but others say it hasn't happened to them or only happened once or twice. So you should also call those people full of shit. I bet you were playing the game on arcade or easy mode. It happened every punt and you ran to post that the game was junk and not to buy it. How long did you even play the game, and when you played it with your friend did the RTK penalty happen every time?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
They need to work on the QB stuff... the throwing motion and movement in the pocket is kind of janky. They should study 2K's quarterbacking, specifically timing the QB's release with the various (3, 5, 7 step) drops.

Game is pretty cool though. Need a PS3 demo, stat.

The M.O.B

czartim said:
Any word on PS3 demo?

At this point, it is all up to Sony when it gets released, they have it, but have not told the team why it didnt get released last week like it was supposed to. Hopefully we get it this Tuesday.

It is unfortunate because i know a lot of people with only a ps3 that have taken an interest in this game, but have no means of trying it out :/

CzarTim

The M.O.B said:
At this point, it is all up to Sony when it gets released, they have it, but have not told the team why it didnt get released last week like it was supposed to. Hopefully we get it this Tuesday.

It is unfortunate because i know a lot of people with only a ps3 that have taken an interest in this game, but have no means of trying it out :/
TBH, the demo will quench my thirst of this game. Maybe next year I'll buy. Once they work out the kinks.

The M.O.B

czartim said:
TBH, the demo will quench my thirst of this game. Maybe next year I'll buy. Once they work out the kinks.

About a month ago they already stated they are working on the next one, an extra copy sold might help them get some more manpower on their team. :wink

I also just realized that natural motion has a TON of publisher and developers using their technology, their site states that Sony, EA, THQ, Take-2, Namco, Konami are currently developing games with endorphin and Disney Interactive Studios’ Black Rock Studios, Gearbox, Total Immersion Software, 38 Studios, Ninja Theory are using their technology morpheme. It is only a matter of time before these developers start using euphoria aswell.

MiniDitka

Afrikan said:
Great job.....I'm sure you tried, but what happened when you had a Black helmet stripe down the middle...how did it look?... I still think you are taking the right approach though.
I tried that but it didn't look as good in my opinion. I'll post some pics with and without the stripes in a bit.

I picked this up on a whim yesterday, haven't bought a football game since like Madden 08. It's pretty fun, it obviously has it's faults, but I'm still enjoying it. The team creator is great too, I've made a bunch of NFL teams.

mbmonk

Anyone else having problems switching receivers on the PS3?

It could be any number of things cause me problems. I have a hard time pressing 100% left, I tend to press the right stick left and slightly down or up. So I am wondering if the game is just really picky about how you do the input. I am going to switch controllers and see if it helps.

My initial feeling this game has a semi steep learning curve. It's just 'different' and so that is going to take some time to get used to.

I think half field reads are a good way to start in the passing game. There is just so much to get used to with the new controls, camera angles, and mechanics that doing half field reads (instead of full field reads) simplifies things for new players. So if you are struggling try that. Now if I could only switch receivers :D

EDIT: I think the major upside regardless on how this game sells is it proves, in my eyes, that you can have a football game that animates properly. So that at least removes one more excuse from EA about not doing something similar in future madden games.

Ænima said:
Great, if this is true and the online is lagless like people are saying then I will pick up the game on tuesday. :D

Online has been flawless for me so far, I never played sports games online but I played 8 games yesterday, its alot of fun . Tackle Alley is also really fun online, if you end up getting tackled by the computer you can get up and chase your opponent down and try to stop them from reaching the endzone.

And for people having trouble with the passing game, read some tips it helped me out a lot, all the interceptions can get irritating but a defender in real life wouldnt just swat a ball down. And I was playing with someone last night, and he was telling me you can lead your receivers with the right thumbstick but I havnt experimented with it.

The game has its flaws but its refreshing to play, I havnt bought a football game since nfl 2k5, I love sports games but after halfway through a season I would get that (ive played this before) feeling. I have nothing against madden, and love what EAs been doing lately, but it clearly shows that no competition is a bad thing.

mbmonk

Outtrigger888 said:
And I was playing with someone last night, and he was telling me you can lead your receivers with the right thumbstick but I havnt experimented with it.

The manual says
Lead your receiver with the right stick immediately following the pass gesture

I actually picked up a couple of tips reading the manual that I don't remember being mentioned in the basic training section of the game.

Thanks ill have to take a look at the manual, ive been getting a lot better with the pass game, at first I couldnt complete 10 passes a game but I average around 15 now, and I dont have to depend on running the ball on 3rd and long :lol

Just had an awesome interception where my defender over ran the receiver he was covering and the receiver jumped up as did my defender as the pass seemed to be perfect, so my defender reaches over the recievers back as hes catching the ball and rips it out in mid air.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Well I finished the first half of my first game of BB and it may have been my last. :lol

I did see a few bits of upside though. I beat the computer 28 - 0 at the half, pulled off an onside kick on my first try! Fuck yeah! :lol and got 2 interceptions on the hardest setting I could find... (hard?)

With a camera view like that, that is unchangeable I refuse to take the game serious. This reminds me of highly of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6acsEvKLno&feature=related

This feels like what Madden 06 should have been. Just think if Madden 06 was this, what we would have now. Now thats disheartening to think about :lol.

However someone had said it felt like a tech demo and while I was playing that's literally all that kept coming into my mind, not having commentary only adds to this statement. It feels like a demo of kiddie type happy colored jersey's, roid raged kickers, and shaky cam made by brilliant physics engine nerds who've never heard (little alone) watched a game of football.

This shouldn't come off as a knock on the game, but it just doesn't feel like something that should be released for purchase. It's just not ready and I'm highly afraid it will deter people from purchasing a 2nd backbreaker if it makes it that far. APF had some decent staying power and appeal, this seems lacking.

Overall
I give the engine and idea a 8/10
I give the idea of competition for madden a 10/10
(however there truly is no competition between this and madden and that's sad being as madden is generally broken.)
I give the gameplay a 3/10
I give the camera a 1/10

Play the free demo, pass on the rental fee's, and pray you didn't purchase this. I wish I had better news :(

Afrikan

I hate to just keep posting pics of people's created teams, but some of these guys have done wonderful jobs.......let me know if I'm doing too much, and I'll just link the photos from now on.

Here are my AFC North teams:
steelersn.jpg

ravens.jpg

browns.jpg

bengals.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

ScreenShot0012.jpg

ScreenShot005.jpg

Afrikan

Rabid Wolverine said:
Is there any way we can download this user customized teams and stuff via paid dlc or we can only create them ourselves?

I

you don't pay anything....when these users are ready all they have to do is copy their created team saves onto a USB card, then upload it to the net...and we download it.

and yes you can create them yourself if you like, heck you might do a better job.....all these teams were created with the logo editor in the game.

Afrikan

Darkman M said:
Why are your raiders rated so high? :lol

two words. Jason Campbell........Championship!

but seriously, I think Campbell will do fine with the Raiders...they already have a good defense, with some playmakers on offense

mbmonk

vumpler said:
Well I finished the first half of my first game of BB and it may have been my last. :lol

I did see a few bits of upside though. I beat the computer 28 - 0 at the half, pulled off an onside kick on my first try! Fuck yeah! :lol and got 2 interceptions on the hardest setting I could find... (hard?)

With a camera view like that, that is unchangeable I refuse to take the game serious. This reminds me of highly of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6acsEvKLno&feature=related

This feels like what Madden 06 should have been. Just think if Madden 06 was this, what we would have now. Now thats disheartening to think about :lol.

However someone had said it felt like a tech demo and while I was playing that's literally all that kept coming into my mind, not having commentary only adds to this statement. It feels like a demo of kiddie type happy colored jersey's, roid raged kickers, and shaky cam made by brilliant physics engine nerds who've never heard (little alone) watched a game of football.

This shouldn't come off as a knock on the game, but it just doesn't feel like something that should be released for purchase. It's just not ready and I'm highly afraid it will deter people from purchasing a 2nd backbreaker if it makes it that far. APF had some decent staying power and appeal, this seems lacking.

Overall
I give the engine and idea a 8/10
I give the idea of competition for madden a 10/10
(however there truly is no competition between this and madden and that's sad being as madden is generally broken.)
I give the gameplay a 3/10
I give the camera a 1/10

Play the free demo, pass on the rental fee's, and pray you didn't purchase this. I wish I had better news :(

I am not trying to invalidate your opinion. I think first impressions are VERY important and are generally correct.

I guess the only point I would raise is this game is very different than past football games. You are not going to get used to the new camera and other systems of the game by playing 4 minutes of it ( I assume you played 2 minutes quarters?). With something this different, you aren't going to be the full breathe of the game in that short amount of play time.

For example, people really complained about the camera until they found the focus button.

Some people can tell in 4 minutes if they like a game or not. And that is legit, but I think this game in particular is a game that will be more rewarding , for a lack of a better word, the more they play and become familiar with the systems and mechanics of the game.

I feel like I have a much more solid understanding after game 4 than I had at the end of game 1.

Afrikan

mbmonk said:
I am not trying to invalidate your opinion. I think first impressions are VERY important and are generally correct.

I guess the only point I would raise is this game is very different than past football games. You are not going to get used to the new camera and other systems of the game by playing 4 minutes of it ( I assume you played 2 minutes quarters?). With something this different, you aren't going to be the full breathe of the game in that short amount of play time.

For example, people really complained about the camera until they found the focus button.

Some people can tell in 4 minutes if they like a game or not. And that is legit, but I think this game in particular is a game that will be more rewarding , for a lack of a better word, the more they play and become familiar with the systems and mechanics of the game.

I feel like I have a much more solid understanding after game 4 than I had at the end of game 1.

this is a thread someone started in BB forums....

"I wasnt enjoying this game, but now its love at 3rd game."
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=6981
I mean, I didn't at first, lol. But this game is awesome once you get past the learning curve, the running was so hard for me at first and now its challenging but fun. The physics are awesome.

I got this game with a friend and played split screen for about 4 hours and wasn;t quite impressed, and also could not get no yards running at all.

But now I am balling, lol. Hit me up for a game online. Going back to this awesome game!

and another poster

"I did it again."
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=6949
Once again I judged this game way to quickly. After spending a lot more time with the game, doing all the training and trying different settings, I can now say this game is nothing short of brilliant. Yes there are some A.I. issues that I hope can be patched , then this game will be near perfect. I was wrong to call this a **** game, I'm an asshole.

^this guy was talking MAD trash about the game for a week now.....I'm happy for him that he stuck with it, and gave the game some time.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
mbmonk said:
( I assume you played 2 minutes quarters?)
Nah I played 5 minute quarters.

I'll try it again when friends come over but having to take your eyes off the field when you switch players on D and on and on just seems far from kinetic chess.

vumpler said:
Nah I played 5 minute quarters.

I'll try it again when friends come over but having to take your eyes off the field when you switch players on D and on and on just seems far from kinetic chess.

You can pick what player you wanna play as for that specific play, in the play selection menu. Also use the focus button while switching while the balls in play it helps alot

Afrikan

Outtrigger888 said:
You can pick what player you wanna play as for that specific play, in the play selection menu. Also use the focus button while switching while the balls in play it helps alot

and also before the snap, you can hold L1 and use the left joy stick to choose a defensive player quickly with it not changing screens....like in Madden.

although I try not to change players on defense too much during a play......holding down the focus button before switching players really helps, like Outtrigger says.

Played about an hour of the game last night and so far, I am loving it.

Playing offense is a lot of fun, especially when you throw the ball to your second options while stepping up into the pocket to avoid the blitz. Getting blindsided while waiting for the reciever to break out of his route really shocked me and had me calling for shorter throwing plays. I do wish they had more info if the play is a 3 or 5 step drop back. Breaking down the defensive formations is tough without the godcam but I love the risk reward of playing QB in BB.
Running is a ton of fun however I don't seem to have much success in aggresive mode. I love spinning but man do I take some nasty hits if I do it too much.
Defense is great, I use focus mode mostly to figure run/throw then normal to stay in position then aggressive to clean up tackles when I can. DB feels super tense with reading the QB and find a time to undercut the WR.
Special Teams I something that I have a ton of trouble with PR and KR is tough for me and I can see now that its not an easy job in football.
Overall, I am loving the game.

An upcoming patch + the PS3 real team/player file has me crazy hyped for this game now. Not to mention people really seem to be digging online play.

mik

mik is unbeatable
After a couple days with the game, here are my impressions (based solely on playing the CPU, btw--I'm prepared to come back in and eat my crow if/when the online play bowls me over):

Moving with the ball is mostly brilliant. I'd love for that to be in Madden almost in its entirety. Whether you're running with the RB, returning a kick, or moving with the WR after the catch--it's pretty sensational.

Almost everything else ranges from poor to LOL.

One interesting thing to note when running the ball: while the physics engine makes picking your way through the line feel very realistic, and ensures there's no nonsense suction/warp blocking, I still don't feel like I have quite enough direct control of the runner. In theory, the engine should give you the MOST control of any game, but I still feel like I get trapped in canned animations much more than I ever did in 2KX. You should be able to interrupt animations, etc. I do like the way they implement their speed burst, turning you into a friggin' freight train, and sacrificing the ability to do most of your funky jukes. So you're constantly pulling and releasing the R trigger. I really like the feel of that.

The playbooks are pretty awful--and the same for every team? Blech.

The passing game is an interesting idea--it's kind of like Madden's old vision cone, but with a more logical implementation. With a little different camera view and slightly more peripheral vision, it could be great. I really like the way it forces you through a progression and makes you feel like you need to throw the ball or move NOW. The passing and catching, however, are really, really bad. QB throwing animations look wrong and take a fucking fortnight. You can't manually catch a pass, and the CPU-controlled receivers are butterfingers to the maxx. The one element of the passing I do like is using the stick to lead your receiver after your throwing motion.

Defense and special teams are where the game really falls apart, though. It feels like a game designed by people who only think playing on offense is fun. And the football games that my friends and I all regard as the tops, like NCAA 2004, are held in such high regard because they made defense as rewarding, interesting, and fun as playing offense. Picking the ball off is super easy for a number of reasons, one of which is: you don't do it yourself. You just maneuver into position, and the computer takes care of it for you. Additionally, the CPU will throw it right to you. In the first couple of games I played, I must have gotten 10 user picks just by taking an LB and standing between the QB and the RB running out on the swing pass. No one in their right mind would throw that pass--but the computer did repeatedly.

Even using the L trigger there are problems with the camera on defense, though. For example, if you're covering a receiver and are in position to make the tackle, the instant he catches the ball, the camera does a very slight, very fast shift, that usually leaves you out of position in an instant. It's a weird "feel" thing, more than a clear technical gaffe. But I'm pretty sure it's there.

On special teams, there is an absolutely idiotic amount of roughing the kicker penalties on your team. It does improve on higher difficulty levels, but it's not uncommon to have your gunners straight-out tackle the punter after he kicks the ball three or four times in a game with 5-minute quarters. Fielding kicks is pretty much manual--you have to navigate to the circle where the punt is coming down, which sounds fine, but is problematic, because if you're not precisely where the game wants you to be, the ball will hit you and carom off wildly. It's pretty stupid. And the kicking game is insanely easy.

Those are my initial gameplay thoughts. Love parts of the engine, hate pretty much everything else. Even the engine needs refinement though. For every moment where I shit myself at how cool the interactions between the ballcarrier and defender played out, there are five moments where guys unrealistically go down like a big sack of sand, or get their limbs twisted into shapes that the human body cannot take.

And we shouldn't even talk about presentation/extras. The insipid heavy metal music that's pumped into every menu, every replay, every possible idle second is so intolerable I actually got a headache playing last night.

Tackle Alley is pretty fun though. ;)

Afrikan

MiniBossBattle said:
Played about an hour of the game last night and so far, I am loving it.

Playing offense is a lot of fun, especially when you throw the ball to your second options while stepping up into the pocket to avoid the blitz. Getting blindsided while waiting for the reciever to break out of his route really shocked me and had me calling for shorter throwing plays. I do wish they had more info if the play is a 3 or 5 step drop back. Breaking down the defensive formations is tough without the godcam but I love the risk reward of playing QB in BB.
Running is a ton of fun however I don't seem to have much success in aggresive mode. I love spinning but man do I take some nasty hits if I do it too much.
Defense is great, I use focus mode mostly to figure run/throw then normal to stay in position then aggressive to clean up tackles when I can. DB feels super tense with reading the QB and find a time to undercut the WR.
Special Teams I something that I have a ton of trouble with PR and KR is tough for me and I can see now that its not an easy job in football.
Overall, I am loving the game.

I don't know if you are having trouble with this, but on special teams hold the focus button and move around the middle of the circle until it is green.....

also it is a bad habit to get rid of, when holding R2/RT when doing anything in a football game....luckily this will help some get ready for Madden 11....because they are also getting rid of Turbo button (on default).

Afrikan

also the endzone editor nice as well....

even as a 9ers fan....I like this older endzone art from the early 90's, better than the one they have now..

this was made by ©roke from OS.
1mkYg.jpg

mik said:
Defense and special teams are where the game really falls apart, though. It feels like a game designed by people who only think playing on offense is fun. And the football games that my friends and I all regard as the tops, like NCAA 2004, are held in such high regard because they made defense as rewarding, interesting, and fun as playing offense. Picking the ball off is super easy for a number of reasons, one of which is: you don't do it yourself. You just maneuver into position, and the computer takes care of it for you. Additionally, the CPU will throw it right to you. In the first couple of games I played, I must have gotten 10 user picks just by taking an LB and standing between the QB and the RB running out on the swing pass. No one in their right mind would throw that pass--but the computer did repeatedly.

Defense is really rewarding, I feel I have more control of my character than other football games, keeping pace with a receiver is much less confusing than madden, and I love blitzing with my safety and getting through the o-line with a ton of momentum and crushing the qb. And how is the special teams broken in this game?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There seems to be an inverse relationship between a GAFfer's enjoyment of this game and the number of posts they have in the Madden thread. :lol

DryvBy

I forgot this was coming out. Well, if by next check, ModNation doesn't patch their game, Backbreakers it is.

Chrange

Banned
mik said:
The passing game is an interesting idea--it's kind of like Madden's old vision cone, but with a more logical implementation. With a little different camera view and slightly more peripheral vision, it could be great. I really like the way it forces you through a progression and makes you feel like you need to throw the ball or move NOW. The passing and catching, however, are really, really bad. QB throwing animations look wrong and take a fucking fortnight. You can't manually catch a pass, and the CPU-controlled receivers are butterfingers to the maxx. The one element of the passing I do like is using the stick to lead your receiver after your throwing motion.

I'd like to see the passing remain the same, but with faster switching between receivers. It shouldn't be such a chore to switch from the left to right sides of the field.

Chrange said:
I'd like to see the passing remain the same, but with faster switching between receivers. It shouldn't be such a chore to switch from the left to right sides of the field.

Hold the left trigger when switching recievers and your problems are solved, its plenty fast

Get "realism," "sim," EA, 2K, college football, and the NFL out of your head. This game is all about creating a custom team - think team names like "Shitkickers" and "Detroit Murder City" - taking it online, and bashing your opponent's face in.

You'll thank me later.

The M.O.B

I will be making a complete guide on how to best control/play/understand the game. Tips n stuff on how to properly enjoy the game as much as possible. Feel free to post some Bullet points on the best way to do things.

Afrikan

NEOPARADIGM said:
Get "realism," "sim," EA, 2K, college football, and the NFL out of your head. This game is all about creating a custom team - think team names like "Shitkickers" and "Detroit Murder City" - taking it online, and bashing your opponent's face in.

You'll thank me later.

wassup with all these haters?...:lol

I'll say this much...they seem to be very generous to "save people".

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Why couldn't they get the throwing motion right? It's annoying.

And seriously... we could really use a PSN demo any time now, Sony.

Top Bottom