• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backbreaker |OT| of FINALLY next-gen football

Afrikan

Lebron said:
Matt Fortay? Some Bears fan :p

it is funny though....some people purposely miss spell names so they can bring their players online....

I think it would be better to keep the original last name....and abbreviate the first name...

so it says M. Forte in the depth chart...but when you are playing....it will say Forte, with the correct uniform # and colors.

same thing with the teams..... instead of San Francisco 9ers...... put S.F. 49ers instead..

if you are playing offline, it doesn't matter...you are allowed to do anything with the names.

It's sad to see so much people with an agenda in this thread, people who've screamed how much this game is going to suck when it was announced, way before anything of the actual game was shown. TheLegendary, are you kidding me? You've been called out in the previous Backbreaker thread for obvious trolling, and somehow you're here again, posting negative impressions on the first page, fully aware you'll never spend a minute on this game. Did you get fired from Natural Motion or something?

On the game, I hope they have enough cash to keep this going year after year, and get working on other sports (Icebreaker is there already, Footbreaker should be next!). In two to three years time, everyone and their momma is going to license this engine.

MiniDitka

Bengals 1st half highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgMW0jxERug

Pics(unis are still a work in progress)

uvs100530-015.jpg

uvs100530-014.jpg

uvs100530-016.jpg

uvs100530-011.jpg

uvs100530-017.jpg

uvs100530-013.jpg

Man, I wish that they would have found a way to make the Tackle Alley minigame a standalone Arcade release. So fun in the demo. I guess I'll probably have to pick this up eventually...really fun when you get it down, which is more than I can say about the modern Madden for me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Afrikan said:
Wow, I don't think I have ever seen someone say something like this in any thread involving a game on GAF...... you are pleading to this guy not to buy this game.

why are you still in this thread again?

You are full of shit. Why am I in the thread? Because I was giving fair warning about a glitch that is well documented in other places, so somebody else didn't waste their money. Moron.
I simply do not believe you NEVER had this glitch happen to you. You're lying, or you do not play the single player. I've played through about 10 games, and it has happened in more than 90% of punt situations. This is not a case of sucking at the game. You can only control one player at a time, and there is only one punt return play.

Again, the online players seem to have a blast. If this is what you're after, then it'll be worth your cash. If SP is your focus, then be warned.

WanderingWind said:
You are full of shit. Why am I in the thread? Because I was giving fair warning about a glitch that is well documented in other places, so somebody else didn't waste their money. Moron.
I simply do not believe you NEVER had this glitch happen to you. You're lying, or you do not play the single player. I've played through about 10 games, and it has happened in more than 90% of punt situations. This is not a case of sucking at the game. You can only control one player at a time, and there is only one punt return play.

Again, the online players seem to have a blast. If this is what you're after, then it'll be worth your cash. If SP is your focus, then be warned.

I own the full game and have played like 15 games, and it hasnt happend once so maybe you should get your facts straight.

WanderingWind

Outtrigger888 said:
I own the full game and have played like 15 games, and it hasnt happend once so maybe you should get your facts straight.

"Get your facts straight?" Really? Radical lingo, there, dude. I have no reason to make stupid shit up. I just reported my experience with the game. Take it or leave it, but fuck off with this nonsense.

WanderingWind said:
"Get your facts straight?" Really? Radical lingo, there, dude. I have no reason to make stupid shit up. I just reported my experience with the game. Take it or leave it, but fuck off with this nonsense.

And I just reported my experience with the game, maybe the patch had somthing to do with fixing it?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
WanderingWind said:
Wandering I give you 30 days on gaf before you say something that gets you a ban :lol

On a side note, I just got the game putting it in now.

WanderingWind

vumpler said:
Wandering I give you 30 days on gaf before you say something that gets you a ban :lol

On a side note, I just got the game putting it in now.

vumpler
(Today, 11:17 AM)
Reply | Quote

...neener.

vumpler

WanderingWind said:
vumpler
(Today, 11:17 AM)
Reply | Quote

...neener.
You're the first to have done that! Well played!

Just played a game online, the person I was playing would bust through my o-line so fast I literally couldnt get a pass off, and if I tried to run but he would tackle me instantly. If theres a glitch in the game thats allowing him to do that, they better fix that shit, I wanted to quit so many times but ended up playing it out.

SonnyBoy

BB is definitely broken in some ways but gotdamn it's their FIRST game. Madden has been around 20 years and that shit is broken too...

Let's just enjoy a breath of fresh air and PRAY that this game brings some innovation to a stale football market. Let's give them a few iterations, this can do nothing but be good for us as a consumer.

WanderingWind

vumpler said:
You're the first to have done that! Well played!

Betcha I'm the first to add the "neener." Art is defined by its details.

EDIT:
SonnyBoy said:
BB is definitely broken in some ways but gotdamn it's their FIRST game. Madden has been around 20 years and that shit is broken too...

Let's just enjoy a breath of fresh air and PRAY that this game brings some innovation to a stale football market. Let's give them a few iterations, this can do nothing but be good for us as a consumer.

Exactly. But it's only fair to point out the broken bits. I hope it does sell enough to warrant a sequel, because the tech is pretty nifty.

SonnyBoy

WanderingWind said:
Exactly. But it's only fair to point out the broken bits. I hope it does sell enough to warrant a sequel, because the tech is pretty nifty.

Thanks. I'm a big Madden fan but before Madden I'm a fan of the football genre. I want the best, I want innovation, I want a great game. Madden is cool but it's stale and it's progressing way too slowly. When 2k was out, I purchased both, I'm a football whore like that. I enjoyed both games. I'm going to buy both of these and enjoy what they both bring to the table.

vumpler

SonnyBoy said:

This could be a strong statement. I really really hope this turns into a long lasting franchise I just don't see it. I like the idea of the physics engine and the hits etc but Madden is the title that sells. All Pro Football pretty much proved you can have decent gameplay but if its not this years Madden its going to be irrelevant soon.

The best of all worlds would be that EA consumes the backbreaker team and buys euphoria and incorporates it in Madden 2012. Since that likely won't happen lets hope this sells well enough to just get a 2nd attempt out there.

WanderingWind

SonnyBoy said:
Thanks. I'm a big Madden fan but before Madden I'm a fan of the football genre. I want the best, I want innovation, I want a great game. Madden is cool but it's stale and it's progressing way too slowly. When 2k was out, I purchased both, I'm a football whore like that. I enjoyed both games. I'm going to buy both of these and enjoy what they both bring to the table.

As a general rule, I really don't like Madden this gen. I hear they fixed a bunch of stuff this past year, but when I rented it, they had added those ridiculous ads that popped up on every play.

It's always 1 step forward, 2 steps back with them, IMO. I love football though, so like you, I try pretty much every game that comes out.

TheApatheticOne said:
I really love this game, played two full games.

A few things that needs tweaked/fixed:
- Get my ST players to quit giving the punter double teamed spinebusters every single time giving them a first down when they punt.
- Interceptions need to be toned down on both sides to the ball, especially CPU. You make a mistake, which is easy to do, it's way more likely to be a interception rather than an incompletion.
- The O-Line needs to hold up a bit better. I passed 20-25 times in the first two games, and got sacked 5-6 times each. Maybe one or two of those is on me, but the other where just me being DOA.
- My RB needs to quit falling on the ground from bumping into his lineman. I understand if im running full force, but some of these falls are silly.

All that said, for every WTF moment, there are 20 amazing moments.

After a few more, same complaints, but want to add to one of them. The interceptions. In my last 4 games, playing 5 minute quarters, Im lucky to get to half time without throwing 5 of them. Yeah, one or two of them are probably my fault as Im panicking because my oline couldnt stop a girlscout troup with the flu, but most of them are from me finding to a wide open receiver, going into focus mode, and throwing straight into a DB. I cant even really get any practice in because it takes 1-2 throws for me to get picked off. I dont care if they get swatted, but sweet jebus, tone down on the picks. Its gotten old very early.

Afrikan

WanderingWind said:

you got a ton of balls saying all that....why are you taking this so personal?

the funny thing is, I can't ask you to show proof of YOURSELF playing this for 10mins or what ever, then we could see 90% of your punt situations glitching.....but its easy for you to spew all this BS, when you don't even have the game anymore..

get the game back or borrow it or rent it....and YOU play for 10mins and upload it to Youtube....or better broadcast it live on some streaming site...if you do this, then I'll take time out of my life and do the same.

then we can see who is the lying moron. :lol

Afrikan

Outtrigger888 said:
Just played a game online, the person I was playing would bust through my o-line so fast I literally couldnt get a pass off, and if I tried to run but he would tackle me instantly. If theres a glitch in the game thats allowing him to do that, they better fix that shit, I wanted to quit so many times but ended up playing it out.

you should record it next time so we can help....do you think he was overloading the blitz?

what you can try is picking a screen play.....don't hike the ball right away, wait 5-10 seconds... do a couple of fake snaps (R1) inbetween...no more than two because it might draw your guy of sides....but could also draw his players as well.

before you snap, hold the focus on the guy that is going to get the screen.....hold focus the whole time...and throw it...might not be accurate one 100% of the time....but you should get a big gain, if not a TD...every time he tries to pressure you.

maybe you should keep it in your audibles...and make sure it is a formation that matches a formation you usually use....so that he can tell if you really changed the play.

if he is blitzing up the middle and the oline is letting him get by....you could use the Oline man or RB on a passing play...and right when the ball is snapped go get in his way of where he usually blitzes from...try to do it in one second.....then quickly push "X" (PS3) to select the QB and someone should be wide open, over the middle or in the flats.

Also if he is blitzing up the middle, a couple of toss plays might work as well......and if he is blitzing from the outside, FB dive up the middle should get you 5-6 yards.

edit- I know it can be VERY frustrating... I had a guy last year use the Raiders and man lock but blitz everyone else..the whole game...but the Raiders CBs stuck like glue to my WRs so I had to step back and breath and try other stuff...sometimes it works out that game, sometimes it doesn't...but atleast you know what to expect and try to adjust if possible.

Branson

Only a couple of complaints so far. But other than that I've been having a blast with it. Last night the other team was punting and after the punter kicked the ball away someone from my
team just HAMMERED the punter causing a penalty. This happened twice in a row letting them get a first since I had them at 4th and 22 yds. Kinda funny but that only happened once in the few games i played last night.

Afrikan

Branson said:
Only a couple of complaints so far. But other than that I've been having a blast with it. Last night the other team was punting and after the punter kicked the ball away someone from my
team just HAMMERED the punter causing a penalty. This happened twice in a row letting them get a first since I had them at 4th and 22 yds. Kinda funny but that only happened once in the few games i played last night.

are you playing on medium or hard?...I think that might make a difference..

Branson

Afrikan said:
are you playing on medium or hard?...I think that might make a difference..
I'm playing on arcade :lol Havent tried medium or pro yet. I was still getting use to it last night but It got really fun once I got the controls down. I think I'll try medium.

I'm in the process of creating my Giants in the game. I posted up two videos on Youtube going over the creation menu if anyone is interested. Nothing in-depth but enough to get a view of what's available. I think I did a pretty good job on the Home uniform. I've got to get the Away uniform setup and get the players created here in a bit. I'll be going through all 32 teams as time goes on so if anyone has any tips on setting up the team settings (offensive/defensive tendencies etc.), I'm all ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I8CupzJW68

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXYFZbYgZg

I don't believe that they are, no. I haven't seen anything that would allow me to export the team or to share it online which does, indeed suck. One of the more glaring omissions considering how deep the creation tool is. Hopefully it's something they add down the line (though I don't know how easy that would be if there was no thought to allow it to begin with) .

Mihku

Futurevoid said:
I don't believe that they are, no. I haven't seen anything that would allow me to export the team or to share it online which does, indeed suck. One of the more glaring omissions considering how deep the creation tool is. Hopefully it's something they add down the line (though I don't know how easy that would be if there was no thought to allow it to begin with) .

You can copy or overwrite the Custom Team save file in the XMB. These guys are planning to create a file with all the official teams: http://www.operationsports.com/forums/backbreaker/416818-official-ps3-nfl-teams-thread.html

I guess it's just a matter of time before the community has created a complete NFL custom team file, after which everyone can just download it and overwrite it on their system.

Afrikan

Futurevoid said:

there is none built into the game for legal reasons.....but you can copy the custom team save file to a USB stick and then upload it....

and someone else can download that custom team save file and copy it over to their profile on their PS3/360(?)

the saves are not copy protected.....THANK GOD :D

now the only problem of getting all these teams on one profile is there has to be teamwork....with just 2 people..... it can't be a thing where 32 people each try to do one team, because each save file will overwrite someone's created team's save file...

so it would be better if someone recreated all the teams uniforms, then we can download it and do the rosters ourselves......or a roster guru can used that other guy's save file and do the rosters, for EVERYONE to download.

Afrikan said:
now the only problem of getting all these teams on one profile is there has to be teamwork....with just 2 people..... it can't be a thing where 32 people each try to do one team, because each save file will overwrite someone's created team's save file...

so it would be better if someone recreated all the teams uniforms, then we can download it and do the rosters ourselves......or a roster guru can used that other guy's save file and do the rosters, for EVERYONE to download.
I'll be working on each team as noted. I don't know when I'll be able to get them ALL done and lord knows my skills with the editor will need to be improved but I'll post each team up as I make them. If folks feel there is something off, I can change them and then post the files once I get a handle on how to do it etc. I can't make any promises but I'll try.

I see myself spending more time with the team creator then I do the game right now. I just don't feel right playing unless the NFL teams are the ones I'm playing with/against.:D

EDIT: The only issue I have with that guys Giants is the logo is too big on the helmet and it looks a bit smooshed.

Really impressed with some of the teams here. Love the Buffalo Bills one :p Some of them look off, like the Bengals. I think it's the color and the helmet. Has to be a hard team to create. I really can't wait for this game, but I don't think I'll have the time to put NFL teams in my game. How is everyone enjoying the full game?

Afrikan said:
there is none built into the game for legal reasons.....but you can copy the custom team save file to a USB stick and then upload it....

and someone else can download that custom team save file and copy it over to their profile on their PS3/360(?)

the saves are not copy protected.....THANK GOD :D

really great idea! I would love to be able to do that!

vumpler

Afrikan said:

Anyone think there is a forum out there doing this already? I'm looking and not finding anything.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Just got home with mine. Looking forward to running it through its paces in just a minute.

As someone who doesn't play any American Football games, I have to say I had a lot of fun with the demo.

I'd never buy an American Football game, but if I was going to, it'd be this one.

What I love about this game is that if your playing offense, defense, or special teams its a blast. Who knew kickoffs and punts could be fun. The euphoria animation is a small part of this games strength in my opinion. At first people might be offput by the camera and controls but once you get the hang of them they work really well. Running the ball and using the joystick for your moves works really smooth, if your using the alternate controls I suggest learning to use the stick. This game has a learning curve, but i say thats because we have been playing with the same controls for a football game since the snes :lol

Also I started a tourney and league thread in the online forum, would like to get a tournament going sometime soon after everyone gets use to the game.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396714

WanderingWind

Afrikan said:
you got a ton of balls saying all that....why are you taking this so personal?

the funny thing is, I can't ask you to show proof of YOURSELF playing this for 10mins or what ever, then we could see 90% of your punt situations glitching.....but its easy for you to spew all this BS, when you don't even have the game anymore..

get the game back or borrow it or rent it....and YOU play for 10mins and upload it to Youtube....or better broadcast it live on some streaming site...if you do this, then I'll take time out of my life and do the same.

then we can see who is the lying moron. :lol

Why are you taking it so personally? This is from the developers forum, you wanker.

"Roughing the kicker is going to be much less common in the full game. It happens when you have a very good team against a very bad team, and is even worse when played on easy.

There is a trick to get around it. Once it happens spot which guy it is (via replay) and play as that guy the next time you do FG block or Punt return (which ever it was happening on). Not ideal I know but it saves you losing the game."

I suppose they're lying too? Luckily, there is a fix for this glitch and they know about it. They're working on a patch to fix it. It also doesn't happen so much when playing hard or on evenly matched teams.

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=6835
http://forum.backbreakergame.com/search.php?searchid=672138 - this is an entire page of forum requests to fix that bug, also.

Outtrigger888 said:
What I love about this game is that if your playing offense, defense, or special teams its a blast. Who knew kickoffs and punts could be fun. The euphoria animation is a small part of this games strength in my opinion. At first people might be offput by the camera and controls but once you get the hang of them they work really well. Running the ball and using the joystick for your moves works really smooth, if your using the alternate controls I suggest learning to use the stick. This game has a learning curve, but i say thats because we have been playing with the same controls for a football game since the snes :lol

I just played it over at a friend's house (who ironically I convinced into renting it) and we had a fair amount of fun playing it. Split screen is an odd adjustment to make though.

WanderingWind said:
I just played it over at a friend's house (who ironically I convinced into renting it) and we had a fair amount of fun playing it. Split screen is an odd adjustment to make though.

Multiplayer (online) is great, can you both play on the same team in split screen?

Afrikan

WanderingWind said:
Why are you taking it so personally? This is from the developers forum, you wanker.

I suppose they're lying too? Luckily, there is a fix for this glitch and they know about it. They're working on a patch to fix it. It also doesn't happen so much when playing hard or on evenly matched teams.

You are the one who has called me a moran, Wanker, and said I was full of shit...because I said it does not happen to me.

I never said it doesn't happen...

it doesn't happen to me because I have played on medium/Hard.....and I brought up how difficulty might have something to do with it.

now does this sound like a "fair" warning?

WanderingWind said:
Don't do it. The game is infuriating in its current state. The special teams players straight TACKLE the opposing punter. This is a major, major glitch that needs to be fixed. I took my copy back to the story. Luckily, the manager gave me a refund.

I repeat.

DO. NOT. BUY. THIS. GAME.

It is fundamentally broken in its current state. I hope it will be fixed, but as of yet, it is not.

:lol :lol :lol pleeeese believe me.....pleeeeeeese believe me..... DON'T Doooooo Iiiiiiiiiit!!! Noooooooooo

*takes a deep breath* ok that was fun....anyway, I'll let you insult me one more time as a response, and then hopefully we are done with this conversation for now...and can move on.

Ænima

Afrikan said:
also, I think it varies as far as wins counting or not if someone quits....because that is how I got my win...guy disconnected in the 3rd QTR after I stopped him 3 times in a row.
Great, if this is true and the online is lagless like people are saying then I will pick up the game on tuesday. :D

Top Bottom