• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

I give in Larian

Fh1BA5Z.jpg
I guess we can cross Starfield off possible GOTY candidate because there's no way Bethesda can match this.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
+1 sales

which is gonna result in

BG3: Shadows of Amn :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:
There's 100k extra sales and I'm not even joking.

Asmon has HUGE pull with so many, I think my low-ballish 4-5m sales prediction my have been a bit lowwwww, kind of forgot PS5 dropping too. 7-8m new prediction by Xmas.

The game version in cinematics is such a huge oversight it's baffling...and the fact that they still havent allowed us to make the minimap smaller that takes HALF the fucking screen is again...stupid af. Other than the jankynes it's fantastic. Far above Divinity OS2 and that was one of my fav games of all time.

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

So far one gripe I have is that narrator voice is low volume, way lower than other dialogues.

Oh, and that I don't really understand the mechanics yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
Amazing, $60 and not $70? How could that be, FFXVI was $70, craziness!

I think I will refund for now and wait for updates/inevitable enhanced edition.
Just too many annoyances for now that make me not want to continue.

I'm very tempted to purchase, care to elaborate on them?

StereoVsn

The 2 mates I have playing Rogue Trader, one loves it more than life itself, the other is medium on it, but mostly due to polish, bugs and usual beta stuff.....sounds like 40k gonna be eating good soon, Owlcat is god tier.
Yep, Rogue Trade should shape up great. Don't see it releasing till next year realistically.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The game version in cinematics is such a huge oversight it's baffling...and the fact that they still havent allowed us to make the minimap smaller that takes HALF the fucking screen is again...stupid af. Other than the jankynes it's fantastic. Far above Divinity OS2 and that was one of my fav games of all time.
Half the screen is a little pushing it mate, quarter at most 😂😂

Luipadre

yeah its annoying but the devs are aware. Hopefully we'll get a hotfix for it soon

Denton

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
It's been a looooong time since I played a d&d crpg and the game is kicking my ass in medium. I wonder if I'm just rusty or if the game is actually quite hard?

Whoa its out now? Damn.

I been playing the early access and everything but having too much fun with Pikmin 4 right now.

Will pick it up again in a couple of days

Last edited:
Started a coop game with a friend. I rolled a half-orc Barbarian as expected, he went with a Drow Cleric, Tempest Domain. Playing in Balanced, so far the game has been pretty easy, although we had some problems with a group of Goblins (disadvantage on attack rolls due to elevation is no joke).

We also killed a Bugbear in a cave nearby, but that might have been a mistake (there was a potion of speak with animals in that same cave, it seemed already hurt, and it mostly tried to protect its cub, so there was probably a more peaceful solution?). That cave also had a chest with a mark of (I think) Selune that we couldn't open...

Anyone have issues with crashing ?

My pc sounded like it wants to blast off to space the noise it was making. My 3070 was hitting 80c and roughly around this temp my computer would crash like my GPU was hanging. I had my FPS capped at 90 and dlss on quality.
This happened repeatedly. I fixed the issue by capping my FPS at 60 and changing dlss to balanced.
Gpu never sent above 60c after that .These cards are supposed to run up to 85 without issue.

Thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else having similar crashes. Game like this is fine at 60 FPS.

Power Pro

I am seriously tempted to get this as a birthday present to myself, especially after watching a streamer I follow play it some, but I also fear my lack of experience with these type of games. The overhead crpg style. Closest I've played is probably Dragon Age Origins, and I mainly played that on console. I also worry that I don't know enough about dnd rules and whatnot.

sendit

Anyone have issues with crashing ?

My pc sounded like it wants to blast off to space the noise it was making. My 3070 was hitting 80c and roughly around this temp my computer would crash like my GPU was hanging. I had my FPS capped at 90 and dlss on quality.
This happened repeatedly. I fixed the issue by capping my FPS at 60 and changing dlss to balanced.
Gpu never sent above 60c after that .These cards are supposed to run up to 85 without issue.

Thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else having similar crashes. Game like this is fine at 60 FPS.
Oooof....Talk about a compromise.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am seriously tempted to get this as a birthday present to myself, especially after watching a streamer I follow play it some, but I also fear my lack of experience with these type of games. The overhead crpg style. Closest I've played is probably Dragon Age Origins, and I mainly played that on console. I also worry that I don't know enough about dnd rules and whatnot.

IMG-8987.jpg

Steam has a good refund policy if you follow their rules. :)

Trilobit

Hardly any games do it realistically anyway. Night is exactly the same as day except everything has a dark blue tint. Hollywoood night. Give me blue skies and good visibility, thanks.

I hate how I see that dark blue stuff more and more. It's so incredibly fake because you can see details far away that would normally not be seen by night.

Such elegance!

39JQJVj.png

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
You know, after three years of early access, I really hoped basic fucking things like camera sensitivity would be in there.

But I guess that's too much to ask for. Of course, this being PC, I am sure someone is already compiling pcgamingwiki ini file tips for this. But still.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Mind is blown from what I played so far.

Tiefling paladin is what I picked. Good choice so far, first characters i meet and add to party make it well rounded

phant0m

I'm very tempted to purchase, care to elaborate on them?

don't avoid the game because of that guy's nitpicks most of them are ridiculous. to each his own but jesus fucking christ

in particular "no free camera control, i can't look up with controller". no shit, it's an isometric RPG, you can't look up with mouse either. it's top-down and you can zoom and rotate, that's it. it's not a 3rd person rpg like mass effect.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dragonborn sorc is good times so far. Slightly bummed the party can’t be as massive as BG2, but at least I can cycle people in and out from camp unlike divinity.

Game runs perfect on a 3080 in 4k max.

Minsc

Gold Member
Any steam deck impressions?

I've ready it runs great (perfectly respectable at medium settings and I'm sure the touchpads offer a bit of extra control), haven't tried it myself yet, but do plan on throwing it on the SD card when I do. Word of advice, don't do that on the Ally ;)

don't avoid the game because of that guy's nitpicks most of them are ridiculous. to each his own but jesus fucking christ

in particular "no free camera control, i can't look up with controller". no shit, it's an isometric RPG, you can't look up with mouse either. it's top-down and you can zoom and rotate, that's it. it's not a 3rd person rpg like mass effect.

Oh, I had a feeling they were nothing I'd personally mind (but crashing/memory leaks etc sound a little annoying, I imagine patches will come and be numerous), but still was curious and the explanation was very well-grounded. I'm most likely going to fold tomorrow even though I know I don't have the time for this. But damn if BG wasn't my bread and butter. And it DOES look like there's quite a bit of fun to be had here. Swords for everyone!

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Still haven't been able to play, but have it downloaded at least. How is the DLSS in this game?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Any steam deck impressions?
Can’t even get it to boot to title screen. Icon is still playable. Someone might be full of 💩because this isn’t amazing. lol maybe they’ll update it?

I’ll try it on my desktop. I’ve got a 970. Not the 1070. Which is why I rely on my Steam Deck. So far my whole experience is watching the Steam logo, trying to boot. 💩 my fingers are crossed. Hope it boots.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I got it to boot on Steam Deck with Proton Experimental. I thought they said this was “Verified”. Oh well.. I also got an error for some odd reason and then it’s booting. Here we go joker.

jamespare

Neo Member
Anyone tried this on an m1 Mac yet? I don’t know if I can wait until ps5 and am curious how this at perform in my m1 Mac mini.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Dragonborn sorc is good times so far. Slightly bummed the party can’t be as massive as BG2, but at least I can cycle people in and out from camp unlike divinity.

Game runs perfect on a 3080 in 4k max.
My 3080 is so hyped on what you just said.
I'm so ready for this, as soon as I get past this build paralysis :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Ok, think I'm gonna go:

Me: Paladin Dialogue Charisma with a touch of evil, I'm not sure how this'll work out..
Karlach - She is awesome, front line assembled!
Gale - He's the Garrus to my Wrex, loved his vibe in EA, also FIREBALLS.
Shadowheart - Respecced to be Cleric slash Trickster Thiefy Vibe so Astarion not needed.

Wish me luck, let's bloody GO.

peish

Still haven't been able to play, but have it downloaded at least. How is the DLSS in this game?

dlss quality and the rest max, got me 100-144fps in the opening section. mostly 144fps of the time. 3440x1440

can't tell any dlss artefacts or badness with my boomer eyes.

The more I watch and read the less convinced that this is for me.

I'm really into the RPG part of the game but the turn based combat is an absolutely massive turnoff. I hope the game gets a PS+ Trial.

peish

The more I watch and read the less convinced that this is for me.

I'm really into the RPG part of the game but the turn based combat is an absolutely massive turnoff. I hope the game gets a PS+ Trial.

the turn basing here is very fast turn around time, imo you won't feel the waiting times if that's your concern

if anything, this kind of games you can imagine it more of a massive point and click investigative adventure, so if you dont like such gameplay loops, then it's not for you

Last edited:

TheMan

So apparently there’s a bug that can prohibit saving if you don’t turn off cloud saving. Happened to me, had to exit the game and lost my character.

That’s enough for tonight, ill try again tomorrow

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The lack of deep character customization on release for such a huge RPG is... disappointing. I guess I'll have to wait for mods to offer me the basic stuff which should've been in the game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played 40 minutes on my Steam Deck. The cutscene was great. Everything else was crappy looking. The character creator had atrocious textures, like Nintendo Switch pixelated spacing. Everything feels detached somehow. I want to play this game, but I probably jumped the gun too soon with the tech I own. I'm downloading it on my PC.

I probably wouldn't play it on Steam Deck. The fan is so loud, like PS4 loud, but in your face - constantly. The device heats up and it drops battery from 97% to 77%. I am jealous of those running BG3 on a nice rig. I can see how the Steam Deck is serviceable, but that's it. I used a USB-C to HDMI adapter and the statue on the title screen looked worse than a 360 game. I turned off a bunch of settings, but it still sucks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom