• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Ginzeen

Banned
Spent 20+ minutes in the character creation screen deciding on which Vulva to pick.

I made a Tiefling Old Ones Dark Urge Warlock with Vulva B.
the character creation is a letdown. You can't alter any facial features except for the color of your eyes. The pre scanned faces for male humans are pretty mid. Their is barely any youth face scans. Their mostly prime years or middle aged face scams. Other then that, BG3 so far to me is really engaging.

Sleepwalker

I played 40 minutes on my Steam Deck. The cutscene was great. Everything else was crappy looking. The character creator had atrocious textures, like Nintendo Switch pixelated spacing. Everything feels detached somehow. I want to play this game, but I probably jumped the gun too soon with the tech I own. I'm downloading it on my PC.

I probably wouldn't play it on Steam Deck. The fan is so loud, like PS4 loud, but in your face - constantly. The device heats up and it drops battery from 97% to 77%. I am jealous of those running BG3 on a nice rig. I can see how the Steam Deck is serviceable, but that's it. I used a USB-C to HDMI adapter and the statue on the title screen looked worse than a 360 game. I turned off a bunch of settings, but it still sucks.
My friend I got the solution for you, provided your PC is not a complete potato and your wifi is ok.

Play it on your pc, set the resolution to 720 or 1080 and the highest settings you can get away with, then stream it to your deck. Quiet fan, long battery hours and it will look good despite the low resolution on the small screen.

So far so good. I stayed away from EA because I didn't want to spoil myself, so still very early in the game. My OCD in checking every crate, bookshelf, etc is slowing me down.

sertopico

Oh good - it says account suspended contact server host like they haven't paid their hosting bill....for a second I thought my off-hand remark about how "Githyanki would make great warrior babies with Orcs" got me banned like in the other place :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Hehe, I ree what you mean. No it's like this for everyone. Their forums are not that good and probably the server imploded after release.

Anyways, I played the prologue as a mage, maybe not the best choice for someone who hasn't been playing a RPG of this kind in ages and also never played DOS. Mastering this class is gonna be quite hard I guess. I am liking it so far but I think it needs more refinements, I have the feeling it's far from being a final release. I was expecting a bit more from a technical perspective, it's glitchy, shadows are sometimes low res, there's clipping and animations are stiff. But ok, I'm not here for the graphics. That huge watermark with the game version on screen during cutscenes is obscene.

Last edited:

Freeman76

At 4 in the morning I'm doing cardio before heading off to work. But I hope you're right :messenger_winking:
I hear that in the beginning, when they're just helpless babies there is enough time for oneself because they basically just sleep assuming it's not a screamer :messenger_face_screaming:
Once she is older I actually want to put in the time and be there so I have to scale down my gaming time. Here's hoping she comes after me reagarding video games :messenger_sunglasses:

Another question on topic:
I'm leaning towards playing a monk come release. As I understand it, monks can't wear armor at all. Does that mean I'm going to play the whole game (100+hours) in the same outfit?

My kids are 9 and 11 and when we are home I hardly ever see them cos they love their gaming. Me and my wife are both gamers so they have grown up around it. I get more time gaming now than I ever have, and we play a lot of games as a family as well. Call of the wild, power wash, fortnite, red dead online, hours of laughs and then tears because my daughter kept pulling my son off his horse on rdr2🤣

Denton

Here is gameplay from beginning of the game, on 5800X3D and 3080Ti

don't avoid the game because of that guy's nitpicks most of them are ridiculous. to each his own but jesus fucking christ

in particular "no free camera control, i can't look up with controller". no shit, it's an isometric RPG, you can't look up with mouse either. it's top-down and you can zoom and rotate, that's it. it's not a 3rd person rpg like mass effect.

The thing is, with the camera being as zoomable as it is - like, to an actual third person level - it could have allowed free look and be better for it. It's not like it's some impossible feat to offer both top down and third person, Witcher 1 managed that in 2007 and Dragon Age Origins did in 2009. The graphics of BG3 is so good it could easily afford it.

And whether nitpicks are "ridiculous" is why I wrote they are subjective. Someone else will find default camera sensitivity fine, but if for someone else it is too slow or too fast, and there is no way to customize it, well it gets significantly in the way of enjoyment. And camera sensitivity is a basic fucking quality of life setting that 99% of games rightfully have.

Having to hold right analog stick constantly just to see interactive objects gets old very fast too. Again something that should have been toggleable from the start.

I played 40 minutes on my Steam Deck. The cutscene was great. Everything else was crappy looking. The character creator had atrocious textures, like Nintendo Switch pixelated spacing. Everything feels detached somehow. I want to play this game, but I probably jumped the gun too soon with the tech I own. I'm downloading it on my PC.

I probably wouldn't play it on Steam Deck. The fan is so loud, like PS4 loud, but in your face - constantly. The device heats up and it drops battery from 97% to 77%. I am jealous of those running BG3 on a nice rig. I can see how the Steam Deck is serviceable, but that's it. I used a USB-C to HDMI adapter and the statue on the title screen looked worse than a 360 game. I turned off a bunch of settings, but it still sucks.
Only played the opening, but I have everything medium, with models and textures to high, FSR Ultra Quality, and lock to 30 and it's fine. Looks pretty great, IMO. Battery will be destroyed, though, so probably keep it plugged in. Probably larger areas will struggle, so might need to drop everything to medium.
I have an old-ass 980ti pc, so I installed it on there, and set the desktop resolution to 1280x800, then set everything to ultra, limited to 60fps, and use moonlight to stream to deck, and it works great.

Fools idol

Banned
Eldritch spell visuals and sounds are fucking fantastic. Whoever designed the spell animations and stuff in this game is top of their craft. They feel amazing, especially when you land a crit and an enemy just fucking explodes

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Two or three years in EA and than you release game and this s*it needs patch??
FFS, what are devs doing? Nobody saw that all this time!
do you realise how much QA goes into a game as massive as this? the developers jirs tickets probably look like the fucking bastille

don't avoid the game because of that guy's nitpicks most of them are ridiculous. to each his own but jesus fucking christ

in particular "no free camera control, i can't look up with controller". no shit, it's an isometric RPG, you can't look up with mouse either. it's top-down and you can zoom and rotate, that's it. it's not a 3rd person rpg like mass effect.
when you have autism small things like that can greatly frustrate

but agree, zero of his 'nitpicks' I even noticed. Mouse and keyboard all the way

Last edited:

naguanatak

My kids are 9 and 11 and when we are home I hardly ever see them cos they love their gaming. Me and my wife are both gamers so they have grown up around it. I get more time gaming now than I ever have, and we play a lot of games as a family as well. Call of the wild, power wash, fortnite, red dead online, hours of laughs and then tears because my daughter kept pulling my son off his horse on rdr2🤣
That sounds lovely and like a dream come true. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is not into games. We play about 1 or 2 games a year together...games like It Takes Two or Sackboy.
I really hope that my daughter will take up gaming or I'll be the odd one out with less time for gaming than I would like :messenger_winking:

Thought I'd create a character before I go to work. Took me 1,5 hours before finally deciding on everything...started the game...and had the bug where I can't save because of activated cloud saves :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So after helping a co worker after work today, I'll start again in the evening :messenger_sunglasses:
Really looking forward to taking it slow. Still bummed that monks can't wear any armor. I like getting different armor and weapons in a rpg, so I hope the cosmetic options are there for the monk and not just one different style to the default one. If not, I would roll another class, but the monk seems the most interesting to me ... Oh well

Bkdk

Glad that the half elf face that someone created back in early access still works, hopefully it won’t break it when they update the game.

There are technical nitpicks that annoy me the hell out and I am tempted to refund for now and wait for some future version (I hoped 1.0 was gonna be perfect after 3 years of early access):

• beard and hair color cannot be set separately, so I have to go beardless because dark blonde beard looks bad (and there is no five a clock shadow option, WTF)
  • for some reason game version number is visible in game, utterly nonsensically
  • I hate that I cannot freely control camera on controller (cannot look up, wtf…)
  • I had to force vsync via drivers, had tearing in intro cutscene despite vsync triple buffer being enabled in options menu
  • Also, there is no possibility to set controller camera sensitivity, and default is too low.
  • Also, no possibility that I can see to select toggle on right analog stick (to see interactables in the world).

Imagine complaining you can't look up in a top down game. The camera should be way above your character

calistan

Having to hold right analog stick constantly just to see interactive objects gets old very fast too. Again something that should have been toggleable from the start.
Surely this is the epitome of a point and click game. I can't imagine playing it with a controller - I know you can, but it would be like playing Street Fighter with a mouse.

Yeah right, still pretty wild how far we've came from 100k numbers of Witcher 3, though of course that was primarily gog with retail
Anyway these are some crazy numbers, and right now I'm just hoping all those voices hoping this is not the new standard for RPG's are watching closely
This is a GOG release too! We're only seeing part of the numbers on Steam.

This, RDR2 and the HD Project for RE4 and my Deck's storage is crying.
How is this playing on the deck? I was waiting for ps5 version as I work on my pc it's tough to play games like this on it anymore (even though I have the hardware for it and play strategy games on it).

I have 130 games installed on the deck. I'll remove some of I have to lol (if this is playable and doesn't drain the battery in under 1.5 hours)

Oh how much space does it actually take up?

Denton

Surely this is the epitome of a point and click game. I can't imagine playing it with a controller - I know you can, but it would be like playing Street Fighter with a mouse.

The game is literally coming out on consoles. It is not a point and click game anymore than it is a controller game. The two ways to play are equal. And in fact the controller UI is very good, just very small annoyances are missing to make it perfect.
Imagine complaining you can't look up in a top down game. The camera should be way above your character

Imaging thinking this must be a top down game when it has effectively a third person perspective already, just nonsensically limited.

Last edited:

dok1or

The game is literally coming out on consoles. It is not a point and click game anymore than it is a controller game. The two ways to play are equal. And in fact the controller UI is very good, just very small annoyances are missing to make it perfect.

Imaging thinking this must be a top down game when it has effectively a third person perspective already, just nonsensically limited.

You are wrong!
Simple.

That sounds lovely and like a dream come true. Unfortunately, my girlfriend is not into games. We play about 1 or 2 games a year together...games like It Takes Two or Sackboy.
I really hope that my daughter will take up gaming or I'll be the odd one out with less time for gaming than I would like :messenger_winking:

Thought I'd create a character before I go to work. Took me 1,5 hours before finally deciding on everything...started the game...and had the bug where I can't save because of activated cloud saves :messenger_grinning_sweat:
So after helping a co worker after work today, I'll start again in the evening :messenger_sunglasses:
Really looking forward to taking it slow. Still bummed that monks can't wear any armor. I like getting different armor and weapons in a rpg, so I hope the cosmetic options are there for the monk and not just one different style to the default one. If not, I would roll another class, but the monk seems the most interesting to me ... Oh well
That's dnd monks never wear armor. They get special ki abilities and armor class adjustments every few levels. Also they can deflect missile weapons (arrows, stones etc.) catch them or redirect. Monks also have access to cool unique martial arts gear and special moves.

Monks have never had armor going back to the 1970s with ad&d 1st ed. (shit back then there was weird rules with the class with leveling and rules on lethal force). It would be weird for monks to have armor.

All that being said, have fun with the character, you have other characters in your party to add armor and weapons to. This isn't a 1 character game. Enjoy it. Wish I had the time to.

naguanatak

That's dnd monks never wear armor. They get special ki abilities and armor class adjustments every few levels. Also they can deflect missile weapons (arrows, stones etc.) catch them or redirect. Monks also have access to cool unique martial arts gear and special moves.

Monks have never had armor going back to the 1970s with ad&d 1st ed. (shit back then there was weird rules with the class with leveling and rules on lethal force). It would be weird for monks to have armor.

All that being said, have fun with the character, you have other characters in your party to add armor and weapons to. This isn't a 1 character game. Enjoy it. Wish I had the time to.

I get that it's a dnd staple for that class. I wasn't complaining, it's just the fact that I like the cosmetic aspect in these long rpgs, too. I know I have more than my character to customize their look, but the monk would be my 'main' and playing over 100hours in the same dress is boring. Somebody alluded to there being other clothing to change the look (I remember that you can wear comfortable clothes in the camp, don't know if you can activate those in the main part of the game)
Regardless, I'll start with a monk and see where it takes me. If I'm happy with it, I'll continue with him once the PS5 version drops, if not, I'll start over.

calistan

Of course, you can also play things like city building games, strategy games, etc on consoles, but why compromise when you can play it as intended? They've made it work on controllers but it works better with a mouse, and that would solve your complaint about the right stick being slow.

Only played the opening, but I have everything medium, with models and textures to high, FSR Ultra Quality, and lock to 30 and it's fine. Looks pretty great, IMO. Battery will be destroyed, though, so probably keep it plugged in. Probably larger areas will struggle, so might need to drop everything to medium.
I have an old-ass 980ti pc, so I installed it on there, and set the desktop resolution to 1280x800, then set everything to ultra, limited to 60fps, and use moonlight to stream to deck, and it works great.
Hmm... I have a steam link and a 3060ti on my pc, (not sure about having 150gb free though). Does the resolution drop on you using that? I played elden ring on steam link and it was fine except for times the resolution tanked due to streaming.

I'd stream to my steam link or deck if it works good. What is moonlight software is that installed on your deck or just the pc? Is it a app on steam or does it require linix wizardry?

Last edited:

DanEON

Of course, you can also play things like city building games, strategy games, etc on consoles, but why compromise when you can play it as intended? They've made it work on controllers but it works better with a mouse, and that would solve your complaint about the right stick being slow.
The game plays great with mouse and also plays great with a controller. There is no "play it as intended". Much better to play it with my OLED TV sitting on the couch than on a desk looking at a monitor. In the end its just preferences. Great that Larian made the game optimal for controller players too.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How does co-op work? Do I have to be locked-in to a co-op campaign, or can player two jump in sometimes and not other times?

I want to play with my wife but we don't always play on the same schedules so I worry about being locked into it.

Gorgon

How does co-op work? Do I have to be locked-in to a co-op campaign, or can player two jump in sometimes and not other times?

I want to play with my wife but we don't always play on the same schedules so I worry about being locked into it.

The bolded.

Hmm... I have a steam link and a 3060ti on my pc, (not sure about having 150gb free though). Does the resolution drop on you using that? I played elden ring on steam link and it was fine except for times the resolution tanked due to streaming.

I'd stream to my steam link or deck if it works good. What is moonlight software is that installed on your deck or just the pc? Is it a app on steam or does it require linix wizardry?
i set my desktop resolution to 1440*900 or whatever the 16:10 resolution is, and then set the game to that resolution.
I downloaded moonlight on my pc
i added Baldur's Gate as a Steam Shield streaming game via geforce experience.
I added Moonlight via the discovery store on the linux desktop
i added moonlight as a non-steam game to steam
run moonlight from steam deck, and it saw my pc on there.
click on PC, it asks to type in a code on your pc
type the code in
bob's your uncle.

Really easy, tbh. I set moonlight to 1280x800 or whatever streaming, and set the bitrate high enough, and it's pretty much flawless. You really don't have to do any linux magic, no command line horsing around. Give it a go.

Minsc

Gold Member
i set my desktop resolution to 1440*900 or whatever the 16:10 resolution is, and then set the game to that resolution.
I downloaded moonlight on my pc
i added Baldur's Gate as a Steam Shield streaming game via geforce experience.
I added Moonlight via the discovery store on the linux desktop
i added moonlight as a non-steam game to steam
run moonlight from steam deck, and it saw my pc on there.
click on PC, it asks to type in a code on your pc
type the code in
bob's your uncle.

Really easy, tbh. I set moonlight to 1280x800 or whatever streaming, and set the bitrate high enough, and it's pretty much flawless. You really don't have to do any linux magic, no command line horsing around. Give it a go.

Can't you just use Steam Link and skip all that? I tried it a while back for DooM 2016 and it felt as responsive and looked as good as native for me, no resolution hackery either. The Deck just lets you launch games installed on and using your PC all from the Deck's main UI.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I got it to boot on Steam Deck with Proton Experimental. I thought they said this was “Verified”. Oh well.. I also got an error for some odd reason and then it’s booting. Here we go joker.
Mine automatically launched on Steam Deck with proton 8.0-3. No issues

Denton

You are wrong!
Simple.
And you are a moron, even simpler.

Because I prefer to play on TV from sofa and the game is actually catering to that in significant ways? Because I prefer it?

Jesus F. Christ implementing camera sensitivity is not some arcane art whose absence you have to keep excusing. Even mouse driven games usually have it!

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

My fan isn't loud or going crazy. I locked it in to 40 fps though.

Thaedolus

I brought my Steam Deck with me on a trip and was thinking about picking it up, but the hotel wifi is capped at 15mbps and the thought of trying to download 130GB…. 😩

Guess it’ll have to wait until Sunday!

Can't you just use Steam Link and skip all that? I tried it a while back for DooM 2016 and it felt as responsive and looked as good as native for me, no resolution hackery either. The Deck just lets you launch games installed on and using your PC all from the Deck's main UI.
Yeah, whatever you want to do. Moonlight seems to work better for me, zero weird artifacting and lag. I get both from steam streaming.

naguanatak

After creating a character before work and then after 10 mins before heading off realizing I had the bug where I couldn't save, I now -after work and helping a co worker for 2 hours carrying furniture - created a new one and played 5 mins. Now I have to go visit a birthing center til late in the evening. I got up at 3am, so playing today seems pretty unlikely. Tomorrow I have to pick up some furniture and after that visit a flee market for baby stuff, so I maybe will have some time in the evening. Sunday is mostly full of other stuff and on workdays I usually don't have time to play.
Thanks to all the people assuring me I'll have enough time to game once the baby is here...she isn't even born and it doesn't look good :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Have fun all you happy people venturing through the Forgotten Realms... I'll eventually take part in it, too :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
After creating a character before work and then after 10 mins before heading off realizing I had the bug where I couldn't save, I now -after work and helping a co worker for 2 hours carrying furniture - created a new one and played 5 mins. Now I have to go visit a birthing center til late in the evening. I got up at 3am, so playing today seems pretty unlikely. Tomorrow I have to pick up some furniture and after that visit a flee market for baby stuff, so I maybe will have some time in the evening. Sunday is mostly full of other stuff and on workdays I usually don't have time to play.
Thanks to all the people assuring me I'll have enough time to game once the baby is here...she isn't even born and it doesn't look good :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Have fun all you happy people venturing through the Forgotten Realms... I'll eventually take part in it, too :messenger_sunglasses:
I got a lot of gaming in the first few months after my daughter was born last year during late night and early morning hours, because I had to stay up to watch her in case she woke up in the middle of the night, so my wife can sleep through the night. My wife has trouble going back to sleep if she gets woken up in the middle of the night and she needed a good night sleep to take care of the baby during the day.

Top Bottom