• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

naguanatak

I got a lot of gaming in the first few months after my daughter was born last year during late night and early morning hours, because I had to stay up to watch her in case she woke up in the middle of the night, so my wife can sleep through the night. My wife has trouble going back to sleep if she gets woken up in the middle of the night and she needed a good night sleep to take care of the baby during the day.

I get up at about 4 in the morning and have to go out the house at 5. any earlier I wouldn't call morning hours, it would be the middle of the night :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So in the evening I'm usually pretty tired. I try to be in bed at 9pm to at least get 7 hours of sleep. I know that won't be the case with a baby... In the past I didn't care and could handle 4 to 5 hours of sleep pretty well. Sometimes played through the night just to have some more free time. But since I have a heart condition now (and chronic pain for many years) I try to balance it out.
First world problems not being able to play enough, I know...but here is the only place I could let it out :messenger_winking:
Enough thread derailing from me now :messenger_winking_tongue:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
I know this is a tough one but for a newbie to the genre like me: Diablo IV or Baldurs Gate 3?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Never playable any series before. Let's just say I got interested in both and the main difference I spot when looking at them is that Diablo IV seems more action focused?

Lately, I'm a bit bored with video games so I guess I'm willing to try new genres and games that need more thinking, have better conversation/dialogue and offer more freedom to make your own path.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
-

Last edited:

Gorgon

I know this is a tough one but for a newbie to the genre like me: Diablo IV or Baldurs Gate 3?

Never playable any series before. Let's just say I got interested in both and the main difference I spot when looking at them is that Diablo IV seems more action focused?

Baldur Gates 3 or Diablo 4?

Hey, first of all I know that both games are actually different genre, but I wonder what is the best between those two especially when it comes to depth of the game, features, complexity, how freedom is the game, and etc.

I never played both games but I heard Baldur's Gate 3 is like playing D&D and there is a lot freedom to make your own story (?)

Lately, I'm a bit bored with video games so I guess I'm willing to try new genres and games that need more thinking, have better conversation/dialogue and offer more freedom to make your own path.

Based on what you're saying it's a no brainer: BG3

Diablo 4 is just a top-down shoot em' up with character stats and spells.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
9 hour in so far and in the whole first area of the game there's side-quests, some mini stories you can find and NPCs which are all infinitely better than 95% of side-quests and NPCs in the whole FFXVI combined. Don't even get me started on exploration, combat, character interactions, dialogues etc. etc.

Last edited:

diablo if you want a hack and slash loot based grindfest kind of game where you (solo or co-op... i think?) slay hoards of enemies in an open world and dungeons with some minimal story. you can play diablo in short bursts

baldurs gate if you want a deep RPG, party turn based combat, with a fuck load of freedom and story/side quests. good if you want to sink your teeth into a fantasy world for hours on end.

i love both but totally different games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorgon

So, anyone playing a Warlock? I'm waiting for the PS5 and Mac version, and I'd really like to know about interactions with your Patron. Getting kinda frustrated that no info on that has shown up on the internets.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
One issue I'm have is the mouse edge scrolling option being inconsistent. Sometimes I have to press the WASD keys just to remind the game I have edge scrolling activated. I never had this problem in Early Access.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

Diablo 4 is really just a slot machine that mostly pisses people off, and BG3 is I"d imagine a more traditional RPG - you create your own character (with a huge emphasis on the ability to make characters that are day and night different from one another), control a memorable party of NPCs and should be able to lose yourself in. The only memorable thing in D4 seems to be the seasonal resets that make you start all over, and the lack of space for inventory and level scaling.

If you wanted I'm sure you could spend days just reading all the different race/class abilities, spells and traits of all the different options and creating a history for your character and everything.

So, anyone playing a Warlock? I'm waiting for the PS5 and Mac version, and I'd really like to know about interactions with your Patron. Getting kinda frustrated that no info on that has shown up on the internets.
I only have two levels of Warlock, but so far no interaction with my patron whatsoever.

Gorgon

I only have two levels of Warlock, but so far no interaction with my patron whatsoever.

Thanks! Ok...Larian said that it would be implemented. I don't expect much, if it's there at all it will probably be through dreams during long rests (I think in the table top rules it's through dreams, induced trances, etc), and there won't probably be any actual entities to see, just disembodied dialogue. But it would be nice to have something. But hei, if you get something, keep us (me) posted :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Guilty_AI

I remember reading they existed but were not going to be too deep or complicated. I think i read about it on the larian forums but they're down for some reason.

Gorgon

I remember reading they existed but were not going to be too deep or complicated. I think i read about it on the larian forums but they're down for some reason.

Yes, I checked them. And yes, I don't expect anything very developed, but I'm quite curious because it's a fictional element that insterests me.

Luipadre

9 hour in so far and in the whole first area of the game there's side-quests, some mini stories you can find and NPCs which are all infinitely better than 95% of side-quests and NPCs in the whole FFXVI combined. Don't even get me started on exploration, combat, character interactions, dialogues etc. etc.
im 10 hours in but maybe explored 40% of the first map? or even less. This game will take ages but i dont mind :D

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
im 10 hours in but maybe explored 40% of the first map? or even less. This game will take ages but i dont mind :D
That's the beauty of the truly great RPGs - you just don't notice the time flying with the speed of light while playing and have zero complaints after checking how much you've played and how much of the game is still left to see.

Gorgon

Yeah, I know the feeling. I recently replayed The Witcher 3 and it took me about 70 hours to finish the main story. I still have several side-quests to do and I think I haven't even done 10% of the witcher contracts. I may have explored half of the maps. If BG3 goes like that I'm happy.

FunkMiller

Never really liked crpgs that much, but that may have to change with this monster.

Having finished everything in Zelda ToTK in 170 hours, I’m looking for another immersive world to get lost in.

xBlueStonex

Anybody else getting their ass handed to them in the very beginning? I'm in the ruins with the first companion, and god dam, I feel like I am vastly underpowered compared to enemies. Debating on turning down the difficulty to "story", but I hate being a pussy.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Anybody else getting their ass handed to them in the very beginning? I'm in the ruins with the first companion, and god dam, I feel like I am vastly underpowered compared to enemies. Debating on turning down the difficulty to "story", but I hate being a pussy.
Get a full party together by exploring the initial area and avoiding things that are obvious dungeons/combat zones

Man I'm getting such flashback vibes playing this game from my days of playing BG/BG2, Planescape: Torment and Dragon Age: Origins, and Divinity OS. It's as if they took the best parts of those games and put it all into one game.

And before you say "Planescape: Torment? That's a stretch."
Well, Planescape is the only other CRPG I've ever played that has a companion Gith. Yes I known Dakkon is technically Githzerai and not Githyanki, but they're the same race that is divided by philosophy, and Dakkon's backstory is all about the Gith's struggle against the Illithids. It's also the only other CRPG I've ever played that featured a veteran of the Blood War.

Guilty_AI

Had some difficulty against the undead, but i guess some of my experience with divinity paid of.

That said i have a 3 person party instead of only 2, so i guess that helps. Also, don't forget to level up, some people might miss the game prompt.

I had to do that fight twice and that's with a full group. You would preferably need a full party.

Denton

I like how the game has exactly the same story setup as Cyberpunk 2077. You have a parasite in your head that will overwrite your consciousness soon and you have limited time to get rid of it, so here is 150 sidequests to do before you get to it :p

In which isometric game you can look up? Is like asking to enter houses in a city builder.

FFS this stupid argument again and again. I have 8 hours played and I spent like 30 minutes in top down (there is no isometric) mode. It plays much better in third person whenever not in combat, at least with controller.

If you mean the first ruins, I went there with the green girl, Shadowheart and Astarion. Green girl had flaming sword from the devil guy on the ship. It was fairly easy with this setup, on medium difficulty. I recommend you getting the companions as first order of business.

Last edited:

geary

FFS this stupid argument again and again. I have 8 hours played and I spent like 30 minutes in top down (there is no isometric) mode. It plays much better in third person whenever not in combat, at least with controller.
My friend, you try to play a CRPG as a 3rd Person Action RPG with controller....and you are complaining about it...

hollams

Gold Member
I had this one fight last night that took me 4 tries to win. During the last battle I had cast Circle of Knives which stayed around after the battle was over. I was going around trying to loot and I hear someone screaming and it was Gale who wandered into the Circle and then he died which then started a cutscene. Of course I didn't save after the fight. I didn't think I'd have to worry about AI team mates doing stupid stuff while adventuring.

Serianox

Remember to rest from time to time. You can do 2 short rests in between long rests that regen some hp and recover some of the spent abilities. Also remember to use items as they help a alot early on in these games where your characters are very limited in what they can do for the initial levels.

Damn, I hate those dice rolls during dialogues.

First... the rolls themselves are way too obnoxious, with that huge, un-skippable animation in the middle of the screen.
Second, I feel like it takes a lot of the "roleplaying" aspect of the game, because in the end the results of a discussion depend more on a random roll than on your own choices. On tabletop it wouldn't be an issue because you'd have a GM who can always adjust things when needed, but no such luxury in a video game. And when you need to roll thrice in a row in one conversation, on two different stats, to avoid the death of a little girl... well, I'm glad I realized you could quick save during dialogues, because I feel the game almost forces you to save-scum. I'm not even playing a Paladin, but it sounds like you could break your Oath because of a fucking dice roll you have no real control over...

On the other hand I'm sure playing a Dark Urge and just "going with the flow" will be pretty fun, if at the mercy of Tymora more than Bhaal.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Damn, I hate those dice rolls during dialogues.

First... the rolls themselves are way too obnoxious, with that huge, un-skippable animation in the middle of the screen.
Second, I feel like it takes a lot of the "roleplaying" aspect of the game, because in the end the results of a discussion depend more on a random roll than on your own choices. On tabletop it wouldn't be an issue because you'd have a GM who can always adjust things when needed, but no such luxury in a video game. And when you need to roll thrice in a row in one conversation, on two different stats, to avoid the death of a little girl... well, I'm glad I realized you could quick save during dialogues, because I feel the game almost forces you to save-scum. I'm not even playing a Paladin, but it sounds like you could break your Oath because of a fucking dice roll you have no real control over...

On the other hand I'm sure playing a Dark Urge and just "going with the flow" will be pretty fun, if at the mercy of Tymora more than Bhaal.
The animation is skippable. Click on the dice roll area to skip to the end result.

The animation is skippable. Click on the dice roll area to skip to the end result.
Pretty sure I tried that and it didn't change a thing, but I'll try again, thanks.

I had this one fight last night that took me 4 tries to win. During the last battle I had cast Circle of Knives which stayed around after the battle was over. I was going around trying to loot and I hear someone screaming and it was Gale who wandered into the Circle and then he died which then started a cutscene. Of course I didn't save after the fight. I didn't think I'd have to worry about AI team mates doing stupid stuff while adventuring.
Looks like introductions isn't the only thing Gale's bad at...

Top Bottom