• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

freedom.gif

bhxX4un.gif

Guilty_AI

Damn, I hate those dice rolls during dialogues.

First... the rolls themselves are way too obnoxious, with that huge, un-skippable animation in the middle of the screen.
Second, I feel like it takes a lot of the "roleplaying" aspect of the game, because in the end the results of a discussion depend more on a random roll than on your own choices. On tabletop it wouldn't be an issue because you'd have a GM who can always adjust things when needed, but no such luxury in a video game. And when you need to roll thrice in a row in one conversation, on two different stats, to avoid the death of a little girl... well, I'm glad I realized you could quick save during dialogues, because I feel the game almost forces you to save-scum. I'm not even playing a Paladin, but it sounds like you could break your Oath because of a fucking dice roll you have no real control over...

On the other hand I'm sure playing a Dark Urge and just "going with the flow" will be pretty fun, if at the mercy of Tymora more than Bhaal.
Just accept the failed rolls, they can lead to interesting outcomes too. A little girl dying sounds exactly like the kind of drama you could have in a ever-developing story, especially for your type of character, and it'll likely have ramifications. In fact, successful rolls may also cause 'bad' results.

In short, don't fear failure, just accept the results and keep playing. Game can be much more interesting that way.

Last edited:

Denton

My friend, you try to play a CRPG as a 3rd Person Action RPG with controller....and you are complaining about it...
My friend, the game is literally designed to be played with controller just as much as with mouse, and no it is not played as an action RPG, combat is still turned based and mostly top down.

Seriously do they make you guys with moronic arguments in a factory or something?

Impressive they've got a hot fix out already. Excellent support.

Amusingly enough, the one thing everyone can hopefully agree on needing fixing, the version number being obnoxiously displayed, is fixed. In dialogues. But it is still there in gameplay. The Belgian Way.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Man i suck at this combat. Im enjoying the games visuals, story, characters, dialogues etc, but the combat is getting frustrating now.

Guilty_AI

Man i suck at this combat. Im enjoying the games visuals, story, characters, dialogues etc, but the combat is getting frustrating now.
1. Disable karmic dice, that can mess up higher armor characters

2. There is a learning curve to combat. Try taking your time reading what each skill does, pay attention to their limitations and how they work, if they recover per turn, per short rest, long rest, etc.

3. As said above, there is a tactical element to the game. You cant just come to combat doing whatever.

4. If you still cant handle it no matter what, you can always just play it in storymode.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Game seems good. Don't even like some of the intro designs and find it a bit juvenile like other cosmic horror/hell type designs in other games but overall it's got a good cohesive look that doesn't look bad in the end and I guess you move on from that stuff soon (for now). It needs a Dragon Age Origins style third person camera, all the controls are there for it but mapped weirdly. It feels good to play, exploring or battling, there's some pop in during cut scenes switching camera angles (or if you use a low angle camera while walking around so don't do that I guess) and some very occasional visual glitches (using Vulkan, maybe I should stick to DX11) like momentary black squares here n there but other than that probably one of the most polished RPGs around that feel and look good. Can't wait to dive in properly.

Labadal

Position your dudes properly in preparation for owlbear fight. Watch owlbear jump you mage. An owlbear cub died because of that.

thuGG_pl

I'm 7-8 hours in and having a blast. It's so refreshing playig a game that I don't know what will happen next. Just exploring and experiencing great stories.

Also kudos for basically zero bugs.

Mozzarella

I'm enjoying it, game is massive.
Lots of abilites to keep track of, it feels overwhelming, but with these kind of games the real fun begins 20-30 hours later.

Glad they fixed the save bug. It def. affected my wife and I. We lost all our progress. Not too biffed about it, as we'll have a better idea redoing all that stuff again so it shouldn't take too long this time.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Witch down! (Tactician difficulty)

pxlkYdk.png

This was easily -the- best quest that early access had to offer. Hoping and assuming to see more content like this now that we're playing full game

Oh and don't ask about Shadowheart. That's just my pervy husband's doing :messenger_grinning_sweat:
How do you already have a nude mod? 😂

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
I decided to go with the premade mage. He seemed fun. And he is. Played for 2 hours and it is cool.

I think I can play this until Starfield.

Draugoth

Gold Member

pxlkYdk.png

This was easily -the- best quest that early access had to offer. Hoping and assuming to see more content like this now that we're playing full game

Oh and don't ask about Shadowheart. That's just my pervy husband's doing :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Of course of all people you left the hot elf chick naked

What? Oh man how unreal.

Yes, game has full nudity

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
The writing thus far in Act 1 is excellent. I keep running into brick walls in combat though, which is surprising as I thought I was a better DnD player than I apparently am 🤣

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Impressive they've got a hot fix out already. Excellent support.
Larian are god tier at patching - they smashed out 1 every 1-2 days for DOS2, I imagine they still l have 100-200 on fixes from the 700 odd team, they'll be ripping through the bugs.

In other news, this game 100% has it's hooks in me after a 11 hour in a row session, like how Mass Effect 1 and 2 did, and DA:O... not even DOS2 did this to me, I just have to get back to playing it....it's that good.

Also, best controller implementation on a RPG EVER.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How do I set up a split-screen/couch co-op game? I read there was a split-screen mode but I can't seem to find it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wish I was into DND and fantasy settings like this. I want to play this but I know the setting won't be able to hold my attention.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wish I was into DND and fantasy settings like this. I want to play this but I know the setting won't be able to hold my attention.
What setting holds your attention? The 40 minutes I played had some cool background/Prometheus vibes going on.

I got a refund for the PC version. I did preorder the PS5 version.

ReBurn

Gold Member
What setting holds your attention? The 40 minutes I played had some cool background/Prometheus vibes going on.

I got a refund for the PC version. I did preorder the PS5 version.
I'm more into modern or futuristic setings. DND stuff has always felt overwhelming and complicated to me. Might still try it on PS5 though.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I think I've cracked it - for best PC gaming experience, have wireless mouse and KB very close at hand: hot swap to them for party management and inventory/gearing up, swap back with a single auto swap to controller for all the rest...it's so luxurious.

UI/Inventory is 100% better on KB+M, but actually playing the game I find so much more fun on controller: best of both worlds, Larian's auto swap is perfection.

Gorgon

Anybody else getting their ass handed to them in the very beginning? I'm in the ruins with the first companion, and god dam, I feel like I am vastly underpowered compared to enemies. Debating on turning down the difficulty to "story", but I hate being a pussy.

I almost always start every game in pussy mode. I then I ramp up the difficulty from there as I get more familiar with the game, controls, etc.

If you mean the first ruins, I went there with the green girl, Shadowheart and Astarion. Green girl had flaming sword from the devil guy on the ship. It was fairly easy with this setup, on medium difficulty. I recommend you getting the companions as first order of business.

What green girl? That's not a recruitable NPC, right?

I had this one fight last night that took me 4 tries to win. During the last battle I had cast Circle of Knives which stayed around after the battle was over. I was going around trying to loot and I hear someone screaming and it was Gale who wandered into the Circle and then he died which then started a cutscene. Of course I didn't save after the fight. I didn't think I'd have to worry about AI team mates doing stupid stuff while adventuring.

Stupid companion AI is the curse of videogaming.

pxlkYdk.png

I'm not sure why NeoGaf has a policy agains nudity. Maybe it's because I'm European, but I'd think nudity would be the least of our concerns specially given everything else you see around here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm 7-8 hours in and having a blast. It's so refreshing playig a game that I don't know what will happen next. Just exploring and experiencing great stories.

Also kudos for basically zero bugs.

From what I've been reading elsewhere, not sure about that bugs part. Hopefully they squash most of them before the PS5 version releases.

Of course of all people you left the hot elf chick naked

Yes, game has full nudity

Thank god for it being developed by Europeans.

Hugare

Finally played the first 2 hours of the full game

Coming from the EA version, this is in much better shape. Expected sure, but wow. Visuals, cutscene transitions and performance are so much better.

Feels like it's much easier than the EA version so far. Anyone feels the same?

Game is top notch.

Playing on a Dualsense, feels nice. Little things like the touch button opening the map and etc. Inventory management is not great, tho.

Last edited:

calistan

And you are a moron, even simpler.

Because I prefer to play on TV from sofa and the game is actually catering to that in significant ways? Because I prefer it?

Jesus F. Christ implementing camera sensitivity is not some arcane art whose absence you have to keep excusing. Even mouse driven games usually have it!
You're an angry, angry dude. Glad you're enjoying the game though.

Facism

Toying with the idea of having my half-orc Druid run around without any trousers because I accidently gave him a vagina in the character creator.

Meanwhile, as an Xbox user, a quiet night at wome watching season 3 of...The Witcher, yeeeii... -.-

Enjoy, fellow GAFers and welcome to Baldur's Gate.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Walked into the barn where a certain couple was fucking.

Laughed really hard. Dems some big ol titties swinging around.

Guilty_AI

Is the inspiration from inspirational events expendable? I read you can only hold up to four, so i thought it was kind of strange if they work for every roll (or after every full rest i don't know)

Gorgon

Yeah, I know, but that's very specific to Wyll. My interest is in custom characters and how Patrons are incorporated in that context, particularly Great Old Ones.

Finally got an answer. Had to go to Larian's Discord to get a straight anser from someone. What I've been told is that "There are specific dialogue options where a warlock can call upon their patron for power." It seems to me that this comes up during dialogue with NPCs, kind of like a dialogue option similar to the ones with skill cheks or a particlar class etc.

Gorgon

Christ, the Larian Discord is a complete clusterfuck. There's more than 13.000 people in there. You make a comment, look sideways to loose a fart, and there's like 100 new comments.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Watching streams of this game the UI and subtitles are very small, clearly designed for PC gaming. Does it have good options to increase the size?

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Loving this game so far. Had a combat with a very high level Spider Martriarch early on. I was 2 levels below it. Had Shadowheart sneak around, cast a few fireballs to destroy all the eggs, set up some traps and was able to slowly defeat the Mother of All Spiders (thus far) with burning bridges to make her fall and lower her health exponentially. The verticality in this game is fantastic! Plenty of environmental interactions, so many little details, and lots of moments for player experimentation, role play, and unique builds.

The game can also look absolutely jaw dropping at times. Still pretty early into the first act, only had a few hours to play each day since launch.

Denton

You're an angry, angry dude. Glad you're enjoying the game though.
Not angry, just tired by the dumb arguments I keep seeing repeated.

What green girl? That's not a recruitable NPC, right?

LeaZel or whatever her name is. The gith, first companion you get.

Watching streams of this game the UI and subtitles are very small, clearly designed for PC gaming. Does it have good options to increase the size?

I am playing on TV with controller and UI size is fine. I think it generally enlarges everything if it detects the controller being used.
Other than that, you can also increase size of subtitles, but only those.
If you play with mouse, all the other stuff besides subtitles cannot be increased in size afaik.

Last edited:

Gorgon

I'm tempted to buy the Mac version now and start playing the EA version just because I still have a whole month to wait for the PS5 version. I'm gonna buy the mac version anyway for the mods, so nothing to lose...?

Just started! They shortened down the ship/tutorial area compared to Early Access? I remember more areas/fighting. I've just crash landed on the beach about to go find my party

Is there a PC performance thread? I have it running at 1440p 141fps with everything maxed out. The game looks great :D

I'm tempted to buy the Mac version now and start playing the EA version just because I still have a whole month to wait for the PS5 version. I'm gonna buy the mac version anyway for the mods, so nothing to lose...?
Buy it on Steam and you get both Windows/Mac version. If you don't want to play Early Access you can use GeForce Now and then when Mac is out of EA you can move over to that. And I think your save should transfer to PS5 when it's out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorgon

Buy it on Steam and you get both Windows/Mac version. If you don't want to play Early Access you can use GeForce Now and then when Mac is out of EA you can move over to that. And I think your save should transfer to PS5 when it's out.

Yeah, I'd buy it on Steam, I've been using Steam since forever and when I go back to PCs I already have my old PC library there too. What's bugging me is that I don't know if the pre-order bonus will work if you buy the Mac version after the 3rd of August. It should, since the Mac version was delayed, but the Steam page for the game doesn't say shit. Larian has kind of dropped the ball on the Mac version info.

Kaachan

I'm not sure why NeoGaf has a policy agains nudity. Maybe it's because I'm European, but I'd think nudity would be the least of our concerns specially given everything else you see around here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I'm European too, or at least born and raised so I really don't mind me some nudity but as far as I know it's not allowed on here and you can be banned for it :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom