• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Darkone

The potential to expand more games/expansions in Faerun has always been there.
Really hoping we will finally get to see it.
There are great regions to explore and stories they can tell.
Cormyr, The Underdark, Dwarven kingdoms and so much more...

ToadMan

How do I set up a split-screen/couch co-op game? I read there was a split-screen mode but I can't seem to find it.

That is a PS5 (timed?) exclusive feature...

EDIT: Ah I take it back - there is couch co-op on the PC version. I thought I read before launch it was console only…

Last edited:

Denton

Looks so nice. No one will ever convince me that this is or should be "top down" game. Larian should have gone full on third person and leave top down for combat.

1086940_20230805102610let7.png

Looks freaking gorgeous on the oled through my laptop. A measly gtx 3060 mobile can run this at 1440p, high settings at 60 fps, with dlss. Ps5 should be no sweat.
Went for my tried and true fem sorc and bump the difficulty down to enjoy the ride.

Last edited:

Elog

Love the game so far - amazing stories - so many choices and gorgeous looking. Stayed away from the EA to avoid any spoilers. Just went in and rolled the RPG character that I always do - grumpy old greyhaired dwarf fighter with a strong ethos but no problem with putting the fist in the face of those that do wrong (according to me ofc!).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's one of these games that everyone praises and I can't see it being other way around.
Hating on a smart rpg pc game = you are stupid idiot.

But the reviews do seem good... do I need previous games knowledge? I used to like these type of games but I fell out a lot. Is it obnoxiously "pc rpg"?
or more like Kotor/mass effect/witcher1?

Last edited:

Denton

Stop it already!!
Stop it ffs
You are boring like hell
Specifically for you I am going to be posting more third person shots.
But it is designed as a top down game regardless of how far the camera moves

It is kinda sandwiched between both approaches.
But the reviews do seem good... do I need previous games knowledge? I used to like these type of games but I fell out a lot. Is it obnoxiously "pc rpg"?
You don't really need previous games knowledge, they are referenced, some characters return, but it is designed to be accessible to newcomers. That said, the RPG system is DnD and I find it somewhat unnecessarily convoluted, but it is what it is.

Whether it is like the games you listed depends on if you play with controller or not, if yes then third person perspective is more suited (if limited) and whole interface changes to reflect it. But combat is still turn based, top down, so you gotta deal with it.

Guilty_AI

But the reviews do seem good... do I need previous games knowledge?
No

I used to like these type of games but I fell out a lot. Is it obnoxiously "pc rpg"?
I don't know what a obnoxiously pc rpg would be, but if you mean hardcore/unforgiving then no. There is definitely a learning curve as these are DnD rules but in general the game tries to make your life easier, either with easy modes, quicksaves, explanations and descriptions, by starting out in a slow easier manner that lets you familiarize with the systems, etc.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
No

I don't know what a obnoxiously pc rpg would be, but if you mean hardcore/unforgiving then no. There is definitely a learning curve as these are DnD rules but in general the game tries to make your life easier, either with easy modes, quicksaves, explanations and descriptions, by starting out in a slow easier manner that lets you familiarize with the systems, etc.
plenty of games boasted "dnd" and were just normal games.
But this is the first I see a dice randomizing lol

Simply the best CRPG I've ever played.

I would say for people who are getting FOMO even though they don't like turn based RPGs it's not reinventing the wheel it's just like comparing the wheels on an F1 car to those on an old banger in the scrap yard. If you hate this kind of game I doubt this will change your mind but for people that enjoy CRPGs it feels like the closest to a proper DND experience that I've ever seen in a game.

5e is way better than Pathfinder for a computer game as you aren't presented with 100s of feat choices so builds are tighter and no need to use build guides. I'm just doing my own thing and doing well while the Pathfinder games were really hard until you figured out what worked then everything was utterly trivial.

Not played it in about a year and lots has been added to Act 1 (or I'm finding stuff I didn't see before) so it feels brand new even though I already played like 40 hours of early access.

Playing half-orc barbarian with no save scumming for skill checks so people are dieing left and right (mainly as I'm killing them after failing a dialogue check) but feels very appropriate.

Even though I love games like this I will admit that I do start to skip dialogue if it doesn't grab me but here there is actual quality writing and I've not skipped one line of dialogue.

Some great Larian humor and being able to talk to animals is fun as it always is in their games.

Not sure if it is in a tutorial but you can use shift click to select rows of items (like in Excel or something) and mass send junk to wares.

Not tried with controller but the way I play I already know it would feel like I'd lost an arm so not going to try.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not digging the mouse and keyboard controls. Think gonna try with a controller. 1st dnd game I’ve played (well played some eq mods in neverwinter nights before). Most of my time playing this type of game was dragon age. Used a direct control on that instead of the mouse clicking as well.

Over all great game though. Wish had more time to play but work and all…

Guilty_AI

plenty of games boasted "dnd" and were just normal games.
But this is the first I see a dice randomizing lol
I mean, dnd is a normal game after all. And other dnd based games also had randomizers but did all 'rolls' under wraps, this one merely chooses to show you the dice.

Hot5pur

I'm kinda jealous of y'all enjoying this. I absolutely don't like turn based anything lol, especially with rolling dice or having to click through dialogue (most games have terrible writing). I do like action RPGs though ... Like dungeon siege, I wish they made another one. I remember having fomo with the divinity games but a lot of reviews said that game is like a job.

Who knows, maybe someone here can convince me I can get used to this and enjoy it? I like Diablo 4 (kinda, it's a bit repetitive and mindless) - I guess the main similarity is top down. Glad you are all enjoying this, seems like a real banger :)

Guilty_AI

I'm kinda jealous of y'all enjoying this. I absolutely don't like turn based anything lol, especially with rolling dice or having to click through dialogue (most games have terrible writing). I do like action RPGs though ... Like dungeon siege, I wish they made another one. I remember having fomo with the divinity games but a lot of reviews said that game is like a job.

Who knows, maybe someone here can convince me I can get used to this and enjoy it? I like Diablo 4 (kinda, it's a bit repetitive and mindless) - I guess the main similarity is top down. Glad you are all enjoying this, seems like a real banger :)
Its not like an action rpg at all so you can't really use that as reference despite both having isometric perspectives.

I don't know how i can convince you to play this. All i can say is that i also didn't like turn-based combat, but was thoroughly converted by Divinity OS 2, which i only started to play at all cause a coop rpg with friends sounded like it would be fun. And this one, despite having obvious differences due to the ruleset, still hold up to the standards that made me like DOS2.

As for the writing, i think its pretty good despite also tending to have a problem with writing in games. Naturally however, you'll see plenty of different opinions on it. So its better to just make your own judgement:

Last edited:
i'm so overwhelmed by all the spells and shit. i have a high half elf sorcerer (i think) and i don't get the sorcery points (i'm reading up on it now). i don't know what i'm doing lol. and when levelling up do i get new spells or do i only get to change them around? some of my characters have the same spells now. i'm only a few hours in so still learning of course lol but it's a lot to take in.

i got to some ruins and there was a door. i told the person inside that his friend needed help so he let us in. i killed him easily but there was another door i went through and there were like 4-5 people hanging out and they wrecked me. i had to load my previous save as i had ran out of health potions :( explored a bit more afterwards and met gale/astarion. going to find the green woman that was on the ship next. i'll probably tell Gale to fuck off so she can join. once i get a bit stronger and feel like i know what i'm doing then i'll go back to kill those people in the ruin.

once i get to the settlement after the goblin fight then that's about as far as i played in the early access a few weeks ago.

so far Shadowheart is my favourite party member. she's so cute and i hope i can romance her at some point lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Guilty_AI

I have two controllers obviously.
Connect both to the PC and when you're in-game press A/X. If you do it during the character creation screen, the second controller will open another character creation screen, during the game it'll take control of one of your party members.

Keep in mind this feature only works when both players are using controllers. If you're on K&M it won't work.

Last edited:
i got to some ruins and there was a door. i told the person inside that his friend needed help so he let us in. i killed him easily but there was another door i went through and there were like 4-5 people hanging out and they wrecked me. i had to load my previous save as i had ran out of health potions :( explored a bit more afterwards and met gale/astarion. going to find the green woman that was on the ship next. i'll probably tell Gale to fuck off so she can join. once i get a bit stronger and feel like i know what i'm doing then i'll go back to kill those people in the ruin.
The ruins just along the coast from where you wake up? I saw that bloody door with a DC20 to lockpick and I was like, nope, I'm not supposed to go there yet lol, pretty sure I have a quest for it now though?
I haven't talked to the two guys above that door yet; I did find a possible "back door" though (not sure if it will lead to the same place).

The ruins just along the coast from where you wake up? I saw that bloody door with a DC20 to lockpick and I was like, nope, I'm not supposed to go there yet lol, pretty sure I have a quest for it now though?
I haven't talked to the two guys above that door yet; I did find a possible "back door" though (not sure if it will lead to the same place).
from where you wake up if you head straight north, it's the ruins behind the locked door. to get to it you go through the ship and head east. there is a fight with a sorcerer and some dwarves/hobbits/halfings and then you can go down to the door. once you get there a quest to explore the ruins should come up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fools idol

Banned
so uh, I spent all my gold buying an invis potion from the old hag in the grove with the intention of using it to steal the Owlbear egg.

I distracted the beast and it's baby using Shadowheart while my main sneaked around the back... picked up the egg... only to realise the mother can smell it on you, instantly aggro'd and wiped out my whole party in one turn.

RIP

Guilty_AI

It does, i just checked. I also ignored the door (i imagine the high lockpick is because i'm not the appropriate class) but ended up inside through an alternative route.

I was even prepared to do some save scumming in order to confirm if the door really did lead to the same place, but turns out i had even looted the key for it inside the ruins :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Majukun

just started the game...haven't played this kind of games since the first dragon age and I can only say i'm really bad at this..already died in the first encounters...also already run on some outrageously bad dice rolls.

is it possible to lit a torch without equipping it in the first slot and thus being disarmed while you explore dark ruins?

foamdino

I'm tempted to buy the Mac version now and start playing the EA version just because I still have a whole month to wait for the PS5 version. I'm gonna buy the mac version anyway for the mods, so nothing to lose...?
My work laptop is a mac, and I'm away from home for the summer - I'm playing BG3 via Geforce Now - from Vietnam. It works and I'm having a blast (my god the size of the first zone just seems to get bigger and bigger, and it's so *dense* with details and story). I'm really torn on plowing on with my playthrough on sub-optimal hw or pausing until I get home to my pc. (I'm probably going to plow on regardless as I can see that I will want to do a second playthrough anyway)

calistan

so far Shadowheart is my favourite party member. she's so cute and i hope i can romance her at some point lol
Weird thing with her, she was super possessive about that puzzle box she’s carrying and won’t even talk about it, but I accidentally transferred it from her inventory into my main character’s on the menu screen. I couldn’t put it back, it said ‘bonded’ and after that Shadowheart was taking freely about the box.

I recently moved and finally got my own office/man cave and have room to put a PC setup for the first time ever. Knew I’d do it eventually but wanting to properly play this game pushed me to order one when it launched. 24 hours later (thanks Amazon) I’m booting up the first gaming PC I’ve ever owned. Haven’t even had a PC tower since the family one that used dial up when I was a kid, where’d I’d insert a disk to play Civilization II.

Think I made a very good choice on my first game to experience PC gaming. What a unique experience. Just a few hours last night, but never played a game like it. Absolutely loving it so far. And going into the settings and having it auto detect the best ones for my setup and seeing everything immediately jump to ultra was a great feeling. Runs and looks great, super fun to play. I’m a happy man.

Sorry for the anecdote, enjoy the game everyone!

Last edited:

jbortz78

So regarding playing with both controller and mouse//keyboard, how intuitive/easy is it switching between the two on the fly?

Yahzi

Neo Member
One of the best implementation I’ve seen for ultrawide in a long time.
Very glad you say that. I've just pulled the trigger on the Dell S3422DWG, never experienced ultra wide gaming. Can't wait to experience it with this game.

StereoVsn

Finally played the first 2 hours of the full game

Coming from the EA version, this is in much better shape. Expected sure, but wow. Visuals, cutscene transitions and performance are so much better.

Feels like it's much easier than the EA version so far. Anyone feels the same?

Game is top notch.

Playing on a Dualsense, feels nice. Little things like the touch button opening the map and etc. Inventory management is not great, tho.
At least for the few first hours I have played the game does seem a bit easier. Now, it still low level D&D so there is always a chance you can get 1 shot with a bd critical role, lol, but overall on Balanced it seems like no issues.

I am playing a Bard as well and they aren't very offensively or defensively oriented.

Lux R7

game is really fun, i'm playing a couch co-op campaign, but i hate the "you have to see your character during inventory management" trope and i hate the mobile game style inventory, so i can't stand the inventory in this.
However it doesn't ruin the fun.

StereoVsn

5e is way better than Pathfinder for a computer game as you aren't presented with 100s of feat choices so builds are tighter and no need to use build guides. I'm just doing my own thing and doing well while the Pathfinder games were really hard until you figured out what worked then everything was utterly trivial.
I enjoyed the build possibilities in WotR a lot more vs what I am seeing in BG3 so far. Liked multiclassing shenanigans more as well. So many interesting choices vs fairly vanilla BG3 classes/subclass combos.

Game itself is certainly higher quality and dialogues are generally better in BG3 though. This is first 10 hours or so, very early.

FunkMiller

Looks so nice. No one will ever convince me that this is or should be "top down" game. Larian should have gone full on third person and leave top down for combat.

1086940_20230805102610let7.png

So can the game comfortably be played at this perspective?

I'm not one for the tiny little man CRPG thing.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Noob question for an aspiring Barbarian: it adds your CON bonus to AC when you’re not wearing armor.

My barbarian started with barbarian clothes which have AC of 10. It looks like this doesn’t count as armor, correct?

Is this the “right” type of equipment for a barbarian, or am I going to want to switch to armor later on?

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
LOL

What a newb i am

I realized that in the character creation i missed many options, i suddenly realized that i didn't pick my stats, i picked criminal background for a paladin...

Restarting my run. Was not far in anyway. Seems when i got into character editing, when i clicked proceed i simply skipped the whole fundamentals of the character build.

Wildebeest

Noob question for an aspiring Barbarian: it adds your CON bonus to AC when you’re not wearing armor.

My barbarian started with barbarian clothes which have AC of 10. It looks like this doesn’t count as armor, correct?

Is this the “right” type of equipment for a barbarian, or am I going to want to switch to armor later on?
Dex bonus is added to your armour. For heavier armour, there is a limit of how much benefit you can get from dex.

Top Bottom