• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Draugoth

Gold Member
WIyfuEM.png

Dij1pNy.png

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Has anyone been to the main city? In the trailers it's looks massive and I assume it's all seemless, does it feel alive? I'm hoping more Witcher 3 and less Cyberpunk

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm enjoying it, game is massive.
Lots of abilites to keep track of, it feels overwhelming, but with these kind of games the real fun begins 20-30 hours later.
It hits the ground running though, with pretty exciting sequences you'd expect to see in some crazy action game instead, I guess to pull newcomers in from the start rather than the usual "it gets good after x hours" stuff, but it's pretty cool and novel as well for the genre. Ace presentation/va etc. too.

Last edited:

Denton

So can the game comfortably be played at this perspective?
Outside of combat, yes, I play the game like this. But again, it is still somewhat restricted in that you cannot look up at all (in the screenshot this is the most "up" you can look). With controller, you have direct control over character movement (although e.g. jumping is done via separate ability and is a bit cumbersome, it does not have its own button).
So regarding playing with both controller and mouse//keyboard, how intuitive/easy is it switching between the two on the fly?
As some other things in the game, it is almost perfect, but not quite. You can switch on the fly without changing some settings in menu or restarting the game, but sometimes you have to press start and go to menu or do some other action for the change to fully register.

Interiors look nice too..

1086940_2023080515350n8fdo.png

Last edited:

Yahzi

Neo Member
I haven't even started playing the game - will probably only start next week once I get my ultrawide monitor but as a Baldurs Gate fan since the 1990s I am SO happy this game is performing well. I'm sure we'll get more content in the form of expansions.

Guilty_AI

This is something EA players probably knew already, but just an example of the depth in this game:

I talked with a tiefling child who was offering to sell me "magic lucky rings". He'd throw a coin in front of me to show the result would always be the one i predicted.
Naturally he was just duping me and his partner would even try to pickpocket me while i was bartering.

Then i thought what if? and decided to make a little test. I reloaded an older save and used Astarion to pickpocket the ring from the kid before speaking with him.

Then when the kid tried to dupe me in the new save he noticed he had been robbed, and i decided to tell him to his face it was me. The kid started laughing and praised me on my cunning for robbing him before he robbed me, even told me to meet his boss.

Its stuff like this, all fully voice acted and animated, that makes this game great. I hope this kind of detail lasts until the city act.

Last edited:

Hugare

Someone help me: just started a co op playthrough with my gf and Shadowheart is now gone

Loaded my save and she was just not in my party anymore. Nowhere to be found.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Quick question : what are the negatives to camping ? I’ve been very stingy in my first 12 hours to only camp twice for a full rest.

I’m worried quests will fail or advance if I camp too much l. Not sure if there is a formula to how often you should do it.

I’m coming up on rescuing the Druid and another place with paladins but need to camp for health since I’m low on potions and can’t craft more.

Doomtrain

I grabbed this on Steam Deck because it looks awesome and I’m really excited to play it. After an hour or so, I’m debating refunding it and waiting for the PS5 release next month. I feel like I’m missing a lot of graphical detail on the tiny screen, and the fan sounds like it’s about to explode. I guess the real debate is, I’m sure the PS5 will be the better experience, but I also want to dive in now. Anyone else dealing with the same thing? Any advice?

Quick question : what are the negatives to camping ? I’ve been very stingy in my first 12 hours to only camp twice for a full rest.

I’m worried quests will fail or advance if I camp too much l. Not sure if there is a formula to how often you should do it.

I’m coming up on rescuing the Druid and another place with paladins but need to camp for health since I’m low on potions and can’t craft more.
Some plot points will advance as you long rest, but the game is designed to have a lot of rests. Use the short rests too to maximize how far you get with each rest.

niilokin

I had to start a new game, shit got just too dark for me :messenger_dizzy:, I like the dark urge stuff but gonna play more as a dude who still has some control over it..

Anyone else get real bad case a regret in this game? Like have to load few saves back because the way some shit went down just keep bugging you.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
I had to start a new game, shit got just too dark for me :messenger_dizzy:, I like the dark urge stuff but gonna play more as a dude who still has some control over it..

Anyone else get real bad case a regret in this game? Like have to load few saves back because the way some shit went down just keep bugging you.
exactly what I posted a few pages ago - the dark urge gets really crazy, I was slaying man woman and child like it aint shit lmao

honestly amazed how far I was going just killing main characters and the game just keeps going

iorek21

Is the combat noob-friendly? All the icons and skills I've seen in videos make me feel a little overwhelmed. Not really used to this kind of game.

Might try it if it's easy to learn.

I grabbed this on Steam Deck because it looks awesome and I’m really excited to play it. After an hour or so, I’m debating refunding it and waiting for the PS5 release next month. I feel like I’m missing a lot of graphical detail on the tiny screen, and the fan sounds like it’s about to explode. I guess the real debate is, I’m sure the PS5 will be the better experience, but I also want to dive in now. Anyone else dealing with the same thing? Any advice?

Similar boat, Steamdeck is only borderline playable - I've spent more time tinkering with settings to find something acceptable than actually playing the game. But it's cross-save, plus the developers have said they will improve the steam deck support post-launch so I'll stick with it, can always continue playing on PS5 later on.

For folks who want to save a few hours tinkering here are the settings you want for Steamdeck:

- Resolution 720p (you can 800p as you can change the aspect ratio, but for performance, stick with 720p)
- Vsync: off (set this in the steam controls instead to 30fps lock)
- Frame limit: None (as per above)
- Buffering: None or Double buffer (Triple causes crazy input lag on the deck)
- Textures Quality: medium
- All other settings: low
- DLSS: Best quality (anything below this looks like a fucking watercolour painting)
- AA: TAA (super important - this setting is essential for good picture quality)

This looks decent and locks to 30fps most of the time, 2:30 battery life. Increasing the settings is doable (model quality as medium etc) but the screen is so small, and DLSS is messing with it so much, it's not really worth the performance hit.

Weirdly model quality only affects the scenario, they only created one set of character models which is probably why it's not a very scalable title. But they look great in the cutscenes even on the deck.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am a complete noob to D&D or it's rules or cRPGs or whatever. Played the game for half an hour and couldn't really understand the combat and systems etc.

Can someone point me to a complete noob/beginners guide for this game?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
50 hours into this and still in the early access parts (and not even close to finishing it :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Tactician + Coop partner is crazy fun

Sleepwalker

If money is not an issue just play it on the deck and double dip on the PS5, as far as I know the game is cross save so you'll be able to load up your save on PS5.

Guilty_AI

Is the combat noob-friendly? All the icons and skills I've seen in videos make me feel a little overwhelmed. Not really used to this kind of game.

Might try it if it's easy to learn.
The game has tons of prompts and explanations for everything, and since these are DnD rules you can more or less find explanations online.

Also, with quicksave you can pretty much experiment however much you want.

Atrus

Gold Member
Loving this game so far. Had a combat with a very high level Spider Martriarch early on. I was 2 levels below it. Had Shadowheart sneak around, cast a few fireballs to destroy all the eggs, set up some traps and was able to slowly defeat the Mother of All Spiders (thus far) with burning bridges to make her fall and lower her health exponentially. The verticality in this game is fantastic! Plenty of environmental interactions, so many little details, and lots of moments for player experimentation, role play, and unique builds.

The game can also look absolutely jaw dropping at times. Still pretty early into the first act, only had a few hours to play each day since launch.

Honestly, good job. I was at the same level and couldn’t do it after 3 tries.

The closest was when I snuck in to whittle the eggs with arrows and then destroyed the web bridges to maximize fall damage, but I couldn’t finish it with my Bard, Asterion, Wyll, and Lae’zel. Didn’t have enough damage output and we went down easily. Wyll’s been underperforming overall for me (aside from that fire whip) so I need to figure him out still.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
What does it mean when your player is bent over at stationary. I thought they were encumbered but that wasn’t it.

found it I am fatigued. Now I have to take a long rest.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I would love to eventually see a Spelljammer crpg.

Actually there was one but it wasn't very good.

But with today's technology, a Spelljammer game would be incredible.

Croga

Picked up a sub to Geforce Now specifically to play this on the Steam Deck (and my own PC which is aging now) and it runs like a dream, couldn't be happier considering how poor the Deck runs it on its own.

Worth the 20 bucks for the performance tier just to play this with everything maxed out on ultra with zero drops / issues at 60fps.

Makes me wonder why I hadn't done this sooner for other games on the Deck lol.

Hadn't played early access myself, but loving this so far, could be my GOTY and I'm only like 10 hours in, it is fantastic.

Side note but it's a shame a lot of the bigger titles don't get added to Geforce Now, would help a lot with other titles that the Deck doesn't run well or just doesn't support properly, like Jedi Survivor or Hogwarts to name a few recent ones for example.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
plenty of games boasted "dnd" and were just normal games.
But this is the first I see a dice randomizing lol
Disco Elysium featured this sort of mechanic pretty heavily as well. That the closest thing I have played to this in a lot of ways.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Picked up a sub to Geforce Now specifically to play this on the Steam Deck (and my own PC which is aging now) and it runs like a dream, couldn't be happier considering how poor the Deck runs it on its own.

Worth the 20 bucks for the performance tier just to play this with everything maxed out on ultra with zero drops / issues at 60fps.

Makes me wonder why I hadn't done this sooner for other games on the Deck lol.

Hadn't played early access myself, but loving this so far, could be my GOTY and I'm only like 10 hours in, it is fantastic.

Side note but it's a shame a lot of the bigger titles don't get added to Geforce Now, would help a lot with other titles that the Deck doesn't run well or just doesn't support properly, like Jedi Survivor or Hogwarts to name a few recent ones for example.
Using GeForce Now on my MacBook Pro too, and it runs very well, rarely a hiccup.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I know this is a tough one but for a newbie to the genre like me: Diablo IV or Baldurs Gate 3?

Interested Ooo GIF by reactionseditor

Never playable any series before. Let's just say I got interested in both and the main difference I spot when looking at them is that Diablo IV seems more action focused?

Lately, I'm a bit bored with video games so I guess I'm willing to try new genres and games that need more thinking, have better conversation/dialogue and offer more freedom to make your own path.
I'd barely even put these in the same genre, they're the polar opposite ends. One is all combat and dungeon crawling (Diablo) and one is all role-playing and open-ended narrative (BG). It's like asking if you should play Cyberpunk 2077 or Doom?

First time playing BG...

Played 3.5 hours tonight with a couple friends in multi-player. Pure gold.

So, I finally understand why someone says "X game isn't really an RPG." The depth of customization, here, is insane and I can see how it might be overwhelming.

Playing with maxed out ultra settings, the game is beautiful. Brought my PC to the living room to play on 75 inches.

Game is effin amazing.

Last edited:

acidagfc

Honestly, good job. I was at the same level and couldn’t do it after 3 tries.

The closest was when I snuck in to whittle the eggs with arrows and then destroyed the web bridges to maximize fall damage, but I couldn’t finish it with my Bard, Asterion, Wyll, and Lae’zel. Didn’t have enough damage output and we went down easily. Wyll’s been underperforming overall for me (aside from that fire whip) so I need to figure him out still.
All you need to do as a warlock is sling Eldritch Blasts, that is their bread and butter damage ability.
Make sure you pick up Agonizing Blast invocation, so it adds your proficiency bonus to damage rolls and then level charisma to 18 asap.
At lvl 5 it becomes 2d10, which is insane for an unlimited cantrip.

Their spellslots are limited, use them on something that will last, like a hex or any other concentration spell.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The game is ready to launch on Steam but I was planning to do it in co-op with 2 other friends. And one of them is unavailable until the end of August.

Bryan Cranston Reaction GIF

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Play it. Play it now.
Screw your friend :messenger_grinning_smiling:
You can see the playtime on Steam and if I start a game now it will be 3 years of waiting for nothing. I must resist. But with Starfield early September... I swear he couldn't have been unavailable at a worse time

geary

I would love to eventually see a Spelljammer crpg.

Actually there was one but it wasn't very good.

But with today's technology, a Spelljammer game would be incredible.
I hope Owlcat can get the license for Warcraft and do justice to the francisee with a in depth crpg.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Edit: Was trying to change page but stupid phone had a brain fart and ended up making a post while desperately trying to wake up the phone from it's coma...

Last edited:

thuGG_pl

What a game! I played from 10 am to 3 am yesterday. Woke up way to early today to continue playing. It's amazing.

Also one quest bugged out on me (minor I thing), but that's a bit annoying considering how long it was in EA.

Top Bottom