• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Guilty_AI

Tried to save a guy in a burning building that was stuck below some debris. My character failed the rol but then i realized each party member could also initiate dialogue and roll again. So there it was, one by one, each trying to help the poor guy.

They all failed.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Tried to save a guy in a burning building that was stuck below some debris. My character failed the rol but then i realized each party member could also initiate dialogue and roll again. So there it was, one by one, each trying to help the poor guy.

They all failed.

This is why people savescumming dicerolls are doing it so wrong. Having a unique playthrough to you with stories like this is so much better than "the perfect run where everyone does everything right all the time".

calistan

They all failed.
I saved him, then he went to the next room to start crying over his dead wife. Got angry when I patted down her corpse - little did he know I'd already looted her body on the way up there.

I absolutely love talking to animals in this. I found a bear down by the water in the emerald grove but I couldn't understand him until I used the potion. I don't know how to help him. There was also this squirrel who bit me but I managed to calm it down.

Some little kid tried to rob me and then ran away. I found a hole that he ran into but can't seem to open it. Met Wyll and got him to join the party. I'm just about to find the healer person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugare

I absolutely love talking to animals in this. I found a bear down by the water in the emerald grove but I couldn't understand him until I used the potion. I don't know how to help him. There was also this squirrel who bit me but I managed to calm it down.

Met Wyll and got him to join the party. I'm just about to find the healer person.
The squirrels suffering from listening to that girl's song was the funniest bit so far

Dont know if co op will work out in the end because my girlfriend gets bored by so much text in the game (she cant understand English, so she has to read everything)

But this is a very "girlfriend friendly" game where she gets excited by watching me play it

This bit with the squirrels, she was like "talk to them! you can". So she can have a lot of input even when she is not playing it.

Last edited:

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Anyone know how to do the following on Controller by chance??:

* Swap between Melee / Range / Light Source
Can do it easy by swapping to the KB+M and pushing those buttons, but rather do it all on the controller.
I've hotkied the torch, bow and weapon I'm currently using on my radials, but that's a bit clunky way to do it...

* Re-order the Character pictures on the left hand side when holding LT
Again, by pulling the char pictures with the mouse can do it, but surely can do it on controller too...you would think.
No radial fix for this one, anyone know how to hold the char picture, and drag n drop it up or down like you do with mouse?

Hoping a fellow controller playing GAF goodfellow can help where the Larian boards could not! :D

You don’t really need a 4090 for this particular game…
of course you don't. maybe this game has inspired Dynasty8 Dynasty8 to build a PC and is just looking at 4090s out of curiosity. it is the most power GPU so makes sense to be looking at it even if you aren't going to buy it.

i have a 4080 and i'm running the game completely maxed out at 1440p with rock solid 141fps. not sure what it's like at 4K. anyway, yeah you don't need such powerful GPUs. i think it's a good looking game but it's not about graphics.

twilo99

Gold Member
of course you don't. maybe this game has inspired Dynasty8 Dynasty8 to build a PC and is just looking at 4090s out of curiosity. it is the most power GPU so makes sense to be looking at it even if you aren't going to buy it.

i have a 4080 and i'm running the game completely maxed out at 1440p with rock solid 141fps. not sure what it's like at 4K. anyway, yeah you don't need such powerful GPUs. i think it's a good looking game but it's not about graphics.

Right, I just wanted to let them know that the game doesn’t need it and it looks and plays great with lower tier GPUs as well.

I like the game a lot at 1440p but a 4k OLED monitor must be amazing..

Last edited:
is it safe to sell things like opal, ruby, etc? or should i be keeping them for something later on like upgrading gear ?

what things should i be selling or keeping?
Right, I just wanted to let them know that the game doesn’t need it and it looks and plays great with lower tier GPUs as well.

i'd be scared to play this game on my 4K oled. far too many static elements. i've not got any burn in yet from playing many games but this game has too much UI shit all over the place all the time and it's going to be easily 100+ hours so yeah... i'll stick to my 1440p display :) would look nice on OLED with HDR though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It sure does. My "monitor" is a 55" TV mind.

Up to 120fps on a 4070ti using DLSS.

F7yTbxq.jpg

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
It's worth noting that We're at 800k daily players for two key reasons, not just the obvious that the game is a success.

1. Massive expectations that will ultimately will lead to more cRPG's and higher quality (sorry developers)
2. Larian studios are officially a tripple A studio which unlocks doors, bigger budgets, even better games.

The Witcher 3 has sold more than 50 million copies worldwide since release, and never had more than 100k concurrent players on Steam. Was a massive success, viral hype, monsterous reviews.

• Baldurs Gate 3 has all of the above, but with the 800k daily players, we can easily expect lifetime sales of 50 million which for a cRPG is absolutely wild.

• Baldurs gate 3's budget is unknown, however, if we assume a relatively conservative lifetime sales today of 4 million copies, that is total revenues of €232,000,000 (*euros, they are based in Belgium) we can most certainly safely say the budget was no where near that.

If this does go on to sell 50 or 75 million copies, it will change the landscape of deep cRPG's forever. Every time a game like this does well, gamers eat even better down the line.

Last edited:

AV

what LG model is that?

OLED55BX6LB, got it nearly three years ago. Got sick of my PC monitor not being OLED but at the time the best option was to just get a second TV and a much deeper (100cm) desk so my nose isn't pressed against it. Does 4k120 so I'm pretty futureproofed.

You do have to behave yourself using it as a workstation though considering burn-in can be very real. No snapping windows to the corners every day and leaving them there.

OLED55BX6LB, got it nearly three years ago. Got sick of my PC monitor not being OLED but at the time the best option was to just get a second TV and a much deeper (100cm) desk so my nose isn't pressed against it. Does 4k120 so I'm pretty futureproofed.

You do have to behave yourself using it as a workstation though considering burn-in can be very real. No snapping windows to the corners every day and leaving them there.
ah alright. i have two 55" LG oleds. in your picture it looks smaller than 55" to me so i thought it was a ~40" or something. i was looking at a 48" one a while back but felt that might be too big for my desk.

i'd love to get an OLED monitor but it'd need to be <42". i'm not even sure about 32-42". i had a 32" monitor and it was fine but couldn't really imagine using anything bigger.

AV

If this does go on to sell 50 or 75 million copies, it will change the landscape of deep cRPG's forever. Every time a game like this does well, gamers eat even better down the line.

It won't, sadly. The Witcher 3 did well because a baby can play it. Even on explorer difficulty or whatever it's called, BG3's barrier to entry is still probably too high for the mass market.

I know Elden Ring is another example of a niche series becoming mainstream but you can just slap on a sword and go, it's not mechanically complicated.

AV

ah alright. i have two 55" LG oleds. in your picture it looks smaller than 55" to me so i thought it was a ~40" or something. i was looking at a 48" one a while back but felt that might be too big for my desk.

i'd love to get an OLED monitor but it'd need to be <42". i'm not even sure about 32-42". i had a 32" monitor and it was fine but couldn't really imagine using anything bigger.

They key is the desk. My "desk" is actually a small meeting table I got cheap, 100cm deep. If you slap a 55" at the back of that it's no biggie.

Better picture from 2019 to show what I mean.

YzPcnUt.jpg

Guilty_AI

It won't, sadly. The Witcher 3 did well because a baby can play it. Even on explorer difficulty or whatever it's called, BG3's barrier to entry is still probably too high for the mass market.

I know Elden Ring is another example of a niche series becoming mainstream but you can just slap on a sword and go, it's not mechanically complicated.
I do think this will sell very well, there's clearly lots of interest on it, but i doubt many publishers will take note. Its a kind of game thats really hard to make, and most big publishers won't be interest on all the effort when they can make similar proffits with much less work.

geary

Witcher 3 got that amount of copies sold also due to their pricing policy which involved very heavy discount during the game lifetime. On PC sometimes reached 9.99 euro which is a discount of 85%.
Depending how Larian will price this game after his 1-2 year. Do you know if DOS game had big discounts?

mxbison

I know this is gonna trigger all the D&D fans but combat would be way more enjoyable without all this stupid dice rolling.

Careful and exact planning is what makes turn based strategy so fun and it goes straight out the window when you setup everything to have 80% chance on your important move and miss it.

Last edited:

AV

I do think this will sell very well, there's clearly lots of interest on it, but i doubt many publishers will take note. Its a kind of game thats really hard to make, and most big publishers won't be interest on all the effort when they can make similar proffits with much less work.

Yeah it'll sell well, it already is. Word of mouth is spreading HARD, I've got so many people who aren't usually tapped into this stuff asking me about it.

At the same time I just can't recommend it to a lot of them. I know they'll bounce off it hard for one reason or another - that's fine, it's not for everyone.

AV

I know this is gonna trigger all the D&D fans but combat would be way more enjoyable without all this stupid dice rolling.

Careful and exact planning is what makes turn based strategy so fun and it goes straight out the window when you setup everything to have 80% chance on your important move and miss it.

"Careful and exact planning" is how you turn those 80% hits into 98% hits.

Witcher 3 got that amount of copies sold also due to their pricing policy which involved very heavy discount during the game lifetime. On PC sometimes reached 9.99 euro which is a discount of 85%.
Depending how Larian will price this game after his 1-2 year. Do you know if DOS game had big discounts?
I think i've seen D:OS games go to about £10-15 on sales but they were priced at £25-30 at launch.

i paid £20 for D:OS about a year after it came out. I paid £24 for D:OS2 about 9 months after launch.

edit: apparently the lowest D:OS EE has gone is £6/$8 and D:OS 2 about £10.50/$16. not sure when though. so i'd guess the lowest BG3 will go is ~£15-20 but who knows after we get an Enhanced Edition.

Guilty_AI

I would've agreed with you a year ago, but once you 'get it', you start to appreciate it.

This game is as much about strategy and careful planning as it is about chaos. It wants the player to fail, to feel as if his hard work and plans can be snatched away from him at any moment, because even the most carefully crafted plans can go down the drain at a moments notice.

Gorgon

This is why people savescumming dicerolls are doing it so wrong. Having a unique playthrough to you with stories like this is so much better than "the perfect run where everyone does everything right all the time".

Right on. The finality of choice is what has me hooked about this game.

I never go back to change rolls or outcomes, as those are the real differentiators and make it compelling.

For the most part I go with the flow. But occasionally I may reload. Some things just have to go the way Our Lord intended. Like, I ain't gonna let a failed skill check kill one of my Broads with Broadswords. No sir, that shit ain't gonna fly. But for the most part, I go with flow of the dice, like it or not.

But yeah, my guy is basically a Sith Lord on (hopefully) his way to Redemption Lane (he's Dark Urge). I failed two rolls when I met Astarion and that prick was making a fool of my character. Yeah, no. While he's a useful picklocker I'll tolerate that smirk on his dead lips, but he'll accidentally fall down a cliff at some point. That's how I'll deal with those failed checks. Motherfucker must pay.

Last edited:

AV

For the most part I go with the flow. But occasionally I may reload. Some things just have to go the way Our Lord intended. Like, I ain't gonna let a failed skill check kill one of my Broads with Broadswords. No sir, that shit ain't gonna fly. But for the most part, I go with flow of the dice, like it or not.

But yeah, my guy is basically a Sith Lord on (hopefully) his way to Redemption Lane (he's Dark Urge). I failed two rolls when I met Astarion and that prick was making a fool of him. Yeah, no. While he's a useful picklocker I'll tolerate that smirk on his dead lips, but he'll accidentally fall down a cliff at some point. That's how I'll deal with those failed checks. Motherfucker must pay.

The only one that annoyed me so far was a complete party instagib. Not even a roll, just a decision and it didn't create an autosave so I lost a 20+ minute fight that I had to redo.

Learned to quicksave in conversations too now just in case.

mxbison

Yeah, sometimes. Most often not.

And even then you often don't know if it's enough damage to kill or not.

I get that many people like it this way, just saying I prefer games where you can reliably plan your moves.

twilo99

Gold Member
They key is the desk. My "desk" is actually a small meeting table I got cheap, 100cm deep. If you slap a 55" at the back of that it's no biggie.

Better picture from 2019 to show what I mean.

YzPcnUt.jpg

Very nice! Depth is important for FPS as well as I think having your elbow on the desk/stable benefits aim/consistency.

I just can’t get past the pixel density of those big 4k screens… you are at like 80 PPI for a 55 inch so if much rather do a 32-34 inch which is 130+ PPI

Last edited:

twilo99

Gold Member
is it safe to sell things like opal, ruby, etc? or should i be keeping them for something later on like upgrading gear ?

what things should i be selling or keeping?

i'd be scared to play this game on my 4K oled. far too many static elements. i've not got any burn in yet from playing many games but this game has too much UI shit all over the place all the time and it's going to be easily 100+ hours so yeah... i'll stick to my 1440p display :) would look nice on OLED with HDR though.

Burn in from playing this game? are you sure… I would just enjoy the game on the OLED if I were you

AV

I've played 100s of hours of WoW on an OLED for 3 years, no burn in even with a totally static UI. It changes enough between opening a map, load screens etc. Burn in on a "monitor" happens when you keep windows in the same place all day.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Combat difficulty walls are kind of a drag. I felt like the game was really letting me do my own thing and I wasn't fighting much but once I got to the part where [/ispoiler]I had to take out the three bosses of the Goblin Camp [/ispoiler] I realized I was totally underleveled and had to backtrack and try to tick boxes and find allies I missed and it kind of broke my illusion of freedom a bit.

I managed to kludge my way through so hopefully I can get back on track now.

Last edited:

AV

Combat difficulty walls are kind of a drag. I felt like the game was really letting me do my own thing and I wasn't fighting much but once I got to the part where I had to take out three bosses I realized I was totally underleveled and had to backtrack and try to tick boxes and find allies I missed and it kind of broke my illusion of freedom a bit.

I managed to kludge my way through so hopefully I can get back on track now.

It's very Divinity in that it definitely railroads you into certain areas in a certain order. I'll say that once you get a few more levels under your belt the issue disappears somewhat. I was way stronger at 5 and I hit 7 last night and my party is a wrecking ball now, might have to crank it up, undecided.

And then you roll three 1's in a row. Because fuck RNG. Yes, it has happened to me lol.

Damn I need a break. I was in the goblin fortress exploring, ended up finding a secret passage to the Underdark... I was not ready.
I ended up in an old Selunite outpost. No one there, but at least the place is well guarded - now if only I found the way to deactivate the traps guarding the entrance, because they also prevent me from going out...
Well, no problem, there was some broken wall on the side I could slip out from. Hey look, lots of petrified drow, I wonder what... OH GOD A BEHOLDER aaand I'm dead.
I guess I'll have to find another entrance, because right now there's no chance I can exit the outpost from either side...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
It's very Divinity in that it definitely railroads you into certain areas in a certain order. I'll say that once you get a few more levels under your belt the issue disappears somewhat. I was way stronger at 5 and I hit 7 last night and my party is a wrecking ball now, might have to crank it up, undecided.
Yeah I kind of leaned into the "go with the flow" thing too much rather than trying to explore thoroughly and I was way under leveled and missed like 3 party members.

JohnnyPhats

Man I’m wrestling with buying this. Concern is it may be too difficult and complicated. And if I should get in PC or wait for PS5. First world problems

Last edited:

AV

Man I’m wrestling with buying this. Concern is it may be too difficult and complicated.

You can refund anything on Steam with under 2 hours played. Obviously you're only gonna see <1% of the game in that time but if you just skip the character customisation for a demo, you can at least get a feel for how the systems work.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why is this game so good? I’ve never played any other BG games, and I was thoroughly uninterested in this one. But the positive response is hard to ignore. It doesn’t seem like the type of game I’d personally like, but it obviously has some amount of mass appeal, so I’m reconsidering getting it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Everyone restart their game

MASSIVE hotfixes

Top Bottom